• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Yet another reminder to avoid dispensaries when possible.

samm2

Bluelighter
another reminder to avoid dispensaries when possible.

Buy local, not from corporations.

That's why ppl have to pee into little cups to even get a job.....

Last edited:
What? How are weed "corporations" responsible for drug tests? wouldn't that hurt the bottom line?

What? How are weed "corporations" responsible for drug tests? wouldn't that hurt the bottom line?
True I see what your saying...

I don't think weed "corporations" would not be likely around long enough to be part of drug tests-----but the point of many small businesses being taken over by corporate big business and squashed is the more the point.

We need our food production(including weed) in the hands of the many not just the few.IMHO healthier food more choices ect...

Our founding fathers(US) saw a lot of this (I commend them for their wisdom) I see a lot of the same in the UK(brilliant literature) , Canada ,ect but in different forms of course....

I'm pretty sure most dispensaries supply local products.

Not 100% on it but I thought it was still a big no-no to transfer this shit across state lines and, even if it weren't, I know firsthand that local growers'll unload their excess to certain dispensaries.

I agree with Jibult that probably most dispensaries are locally sourced. However, in Canada this is a more significant issue.
Next year recreational cannabis becomes legal, and at that point most of us will be compelled to buy from monopolies (which may be run by people with little or no qualifications as far as this forum might be concerned), and depending on the province non-corporate weed might be more illegal than it is now.

I buy from whoever has the most cost effective and marketed product. As I am not in a recreational state my options for dispensary stuff do not come up as often. If you want me to buy your product market it to me and have it be competitive otherwise i dont care to support small businesses and get ripped off being "its local."

This doesnt mean I wont pay 3 dollars for an espresso at the local coffee shop over the 1.25 one at a chain coffee place, that has to do with quality. I simply wont go buy from a small business because its a small business, that seems silly.

I buy from whoever has the most cost effective and marketed product. As I am not in a recreational state my options for dispensary stuff do not come up as often. If you want me to buy your product market it to me and have it be competitive otherwise i dont care to support small businesses and get ripped off being "its local."

This doesnt mean I wont pay 3 dollars for an espresso at the local coffee shop over the 1.25 one at a chain coffee place, that has to do with quality. I simply wont go buy from a small business because its a small business, that seems silly.

This 100%.

I do have to say that my experience has been that local growers will charge much less for good product. Dealers/middlemen not so much, but if you're cool with a greenthumb you're probably getting better prices than most in your area.

It's never something that's like marketed over here in Maryland, though. Shit's still a legal grey area (decriminalized up to 10g but not legal, illegal over 10g) so if you know you're buying locally grown shit it's because you know the source.

this thread is lol.

dispensaries usually buy very local and have to buy within state. There is no importing cannabis from Canada or mexico if you are going to sell it at a dispensary as there are laws prohibiting that, and being that dispensaries generally operate within state laws it is likely they don't do that. However, your local drug dealer operates under his own principals and generally follows no laws, buying what will sell and have a good profit margin.

And drug tests?? Completely irrelevant. Drug tests came way before dispensaries and have everything to do with insurance, employability and liabilities and nothing to do with dispensaries......

Be careful with the chemical pestiside stuff they spray the commercial stuff with to 'clean' it with guys I'm a long time lurker but that's what I heard

Most of the dispensaries in Oregon buy from local growers . They also are very reasonably priced , ever since we legalized herb here it's almost completly killed the black market for weed because at dispensaries they will be having deals as good as 12-15 bucks for an 8th,

^ We regularly get deals that good here in Colorado as well and often times better.

The amount of pesticides/chemicals found are also regulated (tested) and placed on a label so you know exactly what you are getting.

There are well over 1000 independent stores, centers and cultivators which make a healthy and competitive environment for selling cannabis in a very local sense.

The only thing this thread reminded me of is how bad the blackmarket is for recreational and medicinal users.

^ We regularly get deals that good here in Colorado as well and often times better.

The amount of pesticides/chemicals found are also regulated (tested) and placed on a label so you know exactly what you are getting.

There are well over 1000 independent stores, centers and cultivators which make a healthy and competitive environment for selling cannabis in a very local sense.

The only thing this thread reminded me of is how bad the blackmarket is for recreational and medicinal users.

I honestly love living in a legal state , it's great to no longer feel like a criminal for smoking weed .
I read an article about how there is currently more dispensaries in Portland and Eugene Oregon than Starbucks and McDonald's combined xD
It's all totally popped up within the past few years , there's hundreds of different dispensaries who purchase all weed grown in Oregon . I feel blessed sometimes honestly living somewhere where marijuana is so accepted

I haven't kept up on the news but a few years ago there was a pretty big controversy about legal weed testing dirty for pesticides in WA. They tested some of the biggest growers and they all tested dirty. There was also controversy about testing facilities giving false negatives and inflating/changing the results so they look better. I don't know if it has changed but only a few years ago cannabis testing facilities were not required to have the certification that is basically standard among a normal lab. Without knowing what oversight a cannabis testing lab has to have, I would not put too much faith in them. Just recently I saw an article that claimed something like 80% of weed in bay area(sf) clubs tested dirty for pesticide, mold, mites or other contaminants. The best growers that I have encountered do not sell their weed at a wholesale price that a retailer could sell the bargin 8ths(30 or below) for and either not lose money or keep their doors open.

Those 15 dollar 8ths are almost guaranteed to be outdoor or greenhouse/mixed lighting on a large scale grow. I'd also question the claims of it being free of all contaminants, especially weed from large grows because you only send in a sample. The weed that is tested is destroyed by the test so it's safe to say that the weed you are smoking was not screened, instead a sample from the batch was screened- usually a sample hand picked by the grower.

Even in legal states regulation has a long way to go. Not saying buying off the street will be safer or that buying from a store is safe/unsafe, just advocating consumer awareness and pointing out that we shouldn't trust something just because it is on a shelf and the retailer/producer are making claims about it. There is incentive to lie on their behalf.

^ California didn't even have regulation for their MMJ until a couple years ago (source), never mind NOT having legal recreational regulations which are still being made and will continue to be updated for years to come.

It's a long and arduous process. It doesn't happen over night. There will always be potential for error, even when it is Federally legalized. This is also why it's important to point your finger at a very specific source if you are pointing your finger at all.

I feel blessed sometimes honestly living somewhere where marijuana is so accepted
It's a dream come true for many of us :)

Have you looked into the standards and practices of cannabis labs at all?

I would suggest looking into things before you go about in defense.

There are a ton of sources that will verify that there is still controversy about "tested" weed. I really don't feel the need to offer a "specific source" about the subject being that there are dozens of different sources that will verify what I'm saying and very few that will stand behind the claim that cannabis labs are 100% accurate. Again, I'd suggest you look a little deeper into testing facilities for cannabis besides just looking at what they test for. What level defines a positive or negative test? Do they test for every possible contaminant or do they just test for commonly known ones? How much product must be tested out of a pound of weed before the "tested and clean" sticker goes onto the rest of the pound? Do they answer to a federal regulatory body?

Really, just basic consumer awareness... it's similar to food labeling today. Just because it's stamped organic free range, does that mean the chicken at an all grass diet? Or are there things that the industry does so they can save money while still keeping the label?

Also, the point wasn't about a need for regulations so much as it was about consumer awareness. The dirty weed in CA dispensaries was after those regulations, so I don't know what your point was there.

Last edited:
Stricter testing is regulation.

I run numbers on the occasional purchases I make for potential failed PPMs and re-calls all related to the standards and practices done by the labs. So far, I haven't had a problem.

As far as consumer awareness, we here in Colorado recently had a controversial subject about defining and marketing what it means to be "organic" in the cannabis industry. The idea was shot down (and regulated) because of the word itself can lead a typical consumer to believe it is "safe." It's a small example but these type of things happen on a regular basis. You are now protected from thinking the drug is "safe." Improvements are made frequently and for good reasons.

lol... so if testing is regulation, who regulates the testing...?

I think you are missing the point.

I'd love to hear how you "ran the numbers" for potential contaminants. I didn't know you can run statistics on things like mold, mites, and whether or not a grower decided to use pesticides. These things all depend on circumstance and can be caused by things like improper drying and environment. When growing outdoor, things like dust can be a potential contaminant...

How much experience do you have with cultivation and are you even familiar with the wholesale process? If you test an 8th out of 10lbs, is that sufficient for you to believe that the rest of the 10 lbs is 100% clean?

Because organic was shot down doesn't mean your thinking is protected.... I don't get your logic. It sounds like you are just trying to confirm what you already believe.

I might believe you if you could answer who regulates the testing, if testing is regulation in you mind. My whole point was the "regulation" in the market is unregulated, i.e. testing facilities answer to no one but their customers, that I know of.

There is a unique Batch ID (or OPC code) number found on every cannabis product in Colorado. This number can be used to trace back any recalls for any reason.

This is a broad subject and you didn't really specify anything, so I'll provide you with a recent example. Concentrates with (OPC) code 403-00364 purchased prior to July 21 have been recalled for using a banned chemical. If you purchased this product you would have the number and date in your possession giving you full knowledge of their failure even if you couldn't see it with your own eyes. As a side note, you can also you use your own eyes to spot things like mites using a simple magnifying glass.

That's all great assuming that the lab that does the testing is accurate and that test are performed in an accurate and thorough manner. My question is, who regulates how tests are performed?

If you have to check yourself and there are products being recalled, it is a sign that there are a lot of things missed by the testing labs that consumers are finding. Another reason for consumer awareness and not to fully trust something that is "tested". If the tests are as thorough as you seem to think they are then you should be able to smoke in the dark without worries.

As it is now, each state individually decides the specifics for themselves. If you find that you don't like the way your state is handling the situation you are free to protest/call your senator/whatever.

I check ID numbers because I can. Recalls occur for a number of reasons and finding the error rarely is done by the consumer. My point is that a checks and balance system is in place and working in my state for the most part and it's not difficult to use the information provided on the label of a cannabis product to find exactly what you need about that product.