Am I screwed.

Boku_

Bluelighter
Just say you are a person to be in the unfortunate position of having a stuffed liver and it's imperative you no longer consume any alcohol whatsoever or you are suffering total kidney failure and you are receiving dialysis to keep yourself alive would it be advantageous and beneficial overall for quality of life to use opiates like oxy's etc to ease the pain as well as regular heroin use to give a patient some joy and pleasure in their life? I was always told me i was young that opiates regardless of whether they are pain pills like oxy, liquid methadone or black market illegal heroin like #4 China white are far less harsh on the body compared to Alcohol or even soft drink on kidney function and long term opiate use causes no physical damage to a human body or human organs like the liver or kidneys. I was told opiates are comprised and made from a natural plant so provided a person doesn't get HIV or Hep C from injecting heroin there really isn't any negative long term health affects from opiate use. Obviusly aside from the risk of overdose if you inject heroin and the natural occurring withdrawal Symptoms from heavy regular opiate use that a user will experience when the opiates run out and are no longer available but in theory if you were a opiate user with a steady supply of the drug and you always had access to the drug you could live to be in your 90's provided you never ran out of available opiates to use.

This is basically that exact opposite of using drugs heavily and daily like Alcohol and Tobacco that almost inevitably lead most heavy long term drinkers and smokers to various cancers and/or cases of damaged organs that nearly always result in death in latter life if lifestyle changes are not adopted. I am not saying being a opiate addict is a bundle of roses compared to being a smoker or social drinker with the latter two habits being far more easier to manage but from a pure harm and wear and tear perspective on the human body the opiate user who is on methadone maintenance would be in better physical shape after a 20 year span of use compared to a person who smokes two packs of smokes a day and drinks two bottles of wine everyday for 20 years. The main problem with street opiates like heroin is that they are illegal so understandably they are expensive to purchase but from what i have read on Bluelight the right daily dose of methadone can help a user function normally while occasionally enjoying the odd recreational dose of street heroin without experiencing full blown dope sickness when heroin is unavailable.

So my question is if you are in a position of suffering from cancer of the liver or kidney disease requiring dialysis would it be in your best interest to use heroin when you can afford it while taking whatever pain meds a doctor can give while drinking a daily dose of methadone to ease the pain on the body given how sick you would be from organ failure. And i know being dope sick from smack is painful but if you had a adequate dose of methadone to take daily you probably wouldn't feel any withdrawal sickness.

The way i see it being a opiate addict would be the lesser of two evils compared to drinking alcohol if your body shuts down.

Before you say it i know it is possible to get a kidney or liver transplant if you get sick but i am a person with the rarest blood type so from what doctors have told me my chances of finding a suitable and matching candidate to donate a organ are slim to none. The reason i have talked to a Doctor about a possible liver or kidney transplant is that i have only one kidney and i am on anti-psychotic medication that i simply can't function without and believe it or not most medication like anti-psychotic's cause all sorts of wear and tear on a persons kidneys when taken long term. To make matters worse i was a intravenous drug user in my early 20's and caught the Hep C virus when i was 21 but one bit of good luck was that i got interferon treatment for hep C when i was 27 and the virus was cleared and despite being a functioning alcoholic for most of my 20's my liver function levels have returned to a healthy level compared to my 20s when the levels were off the charts due to me being infected with Hep C and drinking beer everyday.

The thing that worries me is that i am 38 next year and while i feel healthy it's only a few more years until i am 41 and that will be exactly 20 years after i first was using needles and i am afraid i may have different blood borne viruses that Doctors are yet to discover and even though i have had successful treatment for Hep C my blood could still be tainted from IV use. Correct me if i am wrong but back in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s drug users who used needles in their 20's were fine until they got to their 40s and 50s and then out of nowhere the ex IV users would develop serious health problems like cancer of the liver or other organ failure and after a long and painful battle these former IV users would be dead in their late 40s.

I know a lot of these premature deaths of IV users were a result of HIV/Aids or Hep C infections and i personally have been tested for these two viruses and i am all clear i can't help to think that due to previous lifestyle choices as well as inherited genetic conditions chronic Illness or sickness is just around the corner.

So how worried should i be?

To recap

I have one kidney and have drank beer and soft drink in large amounts when younger. Interestingly a Doctor told me soft drink is actually worse for your kidneys as beer is made from natural ingredients like barley and hops and being natural it is not harsh as far as wear and tear and general damage to the human kidney compared to soft drink that really is the worst shit ever invented by man to cause damage to a humans kidney. The best thing to drink for me i have been told is black tea so these days i drink 3 to 4 cups of black tea a day instead of Coke or Fanta.

BUT beer is bad for your liver and i had Hep C for around 6 years in my 20s. As i mentioned before i am on anti-psychotic medications and those medications being made of chemicals affect both how your liver and Kidney work and function.

If things for my perspective live expectancy couldn't be any worse i am also obese and that overweight i wear size XXL tee-shirts. That places me in prime heart attack country as well as a likely chance of developing a range of health complications from type 2 diabetes to kidney disease. I am sure some of you are aware that being overweight significantly increases the chances of Chronic illnesses and different forms of cancer occurring to a person. I know people will say you just need to cut down your eating and get some exercise to lose weight and be more healthy but you can't tell me there is no link between being on anti-psychotic medication and weight gain.

You should also note i am diagnosed with PTSD Schizo-affective disorder combined with multiple personality disorder, general anxiety disorder as well as borderline narcissistic traits. So in short i am a schizo with a split personality that has his fair share of emotional issues to deal with. Seriously though the anti-psychotic meds are a God send and a daily dose of seroquel and amisulpride keep me functioning well enough to hold down a part time job and lead a reasonably decent social life despite all my mental issues.

But the unavoidable and inescapable fact is that people requiring anti-psychotic medication due to mental illness have a life expectancy 20 to 30 years shorter than the general population.

Don't get me wrong for the time being i have a good standard of living and quality of life for a 37 year old male living in a western country with a pretty decent free universal health care system i just can't help thinking some form of chronic liver or kidney illness is just around the corner and inevitable for someone in my circumstance.

This might sound a little grim but i sometimes think i would be lucky if i just suffer a massive heart attack and it all ends nice and quick with a relative pain free exit. To be honest i could handle in the future my one and only kidney failing and me requiring dialysis to survive as the way i see it medicine is just going to get better and better and more advance as time goes on and even modern dialysis treatment can keep a person alive for extended periods of time. As for quality of life while requiring regular dialysis treatment that's the big question, i guess the Doctors treating me would be able to prescribe all sorts of kick ass opiate pain meds. Not to mention i have a pretty good hook up to supply me with #4 China white heroin in wholesale bulk amounts like half a eight ball that i could snort over a week and then hit up a understanding methadone program doctor to help me control my opiate addiction while having dialysis treatment every second day or so. If it's possible to enjoy opiates while needing dailysis i could deal with that.

What really scares me is the possibility of developing fatty liver followed by cirrhosis or cancer of the liver. From what i've been told there isn't much medically speaking doctors can do for you if your liver packs it in and it really is one of the most slow and painful ways to kick the bucket. All the can be done as far as pallative care for a patient dying of liver complications is to dope them up with a morphine drip so they feel nothing until nature takes place and death happens.

So in a nut shell you could say i am living on borrowed time. Or am i just a bit sick in the head to consider being a opiate addict to deal with organ failure if the needbe arises in the future? Or do you think if i end up needing dailysis the last thing i will feel like doing is scoring heroin to snort while going to the trouble of organising methadone treatment.

To be honest i have never been dope sick from smack despite using it off and on for over 15 years but i will say while i am healthy i have no intention to get a opiate addiction as i enjoy sex to much to deal with the reduced sex drive and impotence that comes with using heroin to point of abuse.

man, i'm so sorry to hear about your health. you're still a young guy.

i have a really good mate who has been a serious drinker for 40+ years (and has been in a few really legendary aussie rock bands, but that's a whole other story). he developed cirrhosis about 10 years ago, and i was afraid he was going to die - he was really fucking sick and lost a scary amount of weight - but he managed to get better, after cutting down or totally stopping drinking for a while.
he got together with this woman a few years ago, and she's a really bad enabler - it really saddens me when i hang out with them and they're drinking...
he's a great friend and i love him, so i worry about him a lot, and it's really hard to see him with a beer in his hand, or pissed and slurring his words.
but i understand addiction well enough to know that the risk of totally compromising your health - and your life - is often not a strong enough deterrent to prevent people relapsing, or struggling to quit.

look - i have no medical qualifications, and i really wouldn't want you to take advice on something as serious as this from someone who isn't your doctor (or someone similarly well-informed enough) - but you are correct in saying that opiates are far less physically damaging than alcohol.
alcohol is really harsh on the body, especially the liver - but other organs as well. the harms, or physical changes caused by opiates are often more subtle, or more related to altering bodily function (such as complications from slowed digestion, weakened immune system or altered hormone levels).
also, withdrawal can put a lot of strain on your body, i'm not sure how risky it would be for you to have to go through that.

i have absolutely no idea about how opiates may or may not affect your kidneys, but i believe that opiates are fairly benign when it comes to the liver, unlike alcohol ,which is hepatoxic.

it's definitely something i think you should bring up with your doctor, as it's a perfectly reasonable and understandable thing to ask, from a medical (pain management) point of view. in fact, if you haven't already done so, i assume it would be wise to ask as lot of questions about what you can or can't consume - i imagine that beyond drugs and alcohol, there could be other foods and drinks that could be more risky that others

Cheers for the prompt response Spacejunk. i always appreciate your input and opinions on this forum. Now that you mention foods that can be risky A doctor told me greasy breads like roti and naan bread are not the best for your liver.

I must say it's strange being told at such a young age that the simple act of enjoying a carbonated Soft drink like Coke with a meal is potentially life threaten and can lead to premature death. I don't know exactly why soft drink is so bad for your kidney. It might be cos soft drink is carbonated because a Doctor told me iced tea and water mixed with cordial is fine to drink.

As for alcohol i'd like to think i drink in moderation as most days i drive so i stay under .05 and i really do attempt to have two to three days a week free of any alcohol. All i can really do is visit my local GP clinic for regular blood tests to hopefully detect any problems early on. I don't know how i would cope if a Doctor gave me a ultimatum along the lines you have to quit drinking all forms of alcohol immediately or face premature death. It's funny but i can fully handle stopping drinking at one glass of beer to stay under the .05 blood alcohol limit but mate do i enjoy drinking that one glass of beer to take the edge off.

But boy did i drink a lot in my 20's. Everyday six to eight pots of beer and i actually gave up driving a car for around 5 years due to my desire to get smashed at the pub everyday.

If I was looking at it from my point of view, I too most likely would at least want some good meds. Don't feel bad about that mate. I wish you the best mate, stay positive and never under estimate the power of will.