• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Truly Mindless: What video games do you love?

simco

Bluelight Crew
I've still got a couple weeks at home before my new job starts. And for me, free time at home is an invitation for drug cravings. While I'm not super proud of it, I find that one way to pass the time without fantasizing about using is by playing video games. However, I am not a huge gamer, and most of the titles I try leave me cold.

I thought it might be fun to hear what other folks on SL like to play. So, let's hear what's awesome in the world of video games.

For what it's worth, I have a PS4. I also have a Mac, though I've never played games on it.

The only game I've found that I really adore is The Last of Us. The mix of character development, violence, and strategy is awesome. But I've now played TLU many times, and I need a break from it.

I'm currently playing Beyond: Two Souls, and it's OK. I also noodle around with Fallout 4, though I find the whole open world thing a little perplexing...what the hell am I supposed to be doing, I keep asking myself.

Besides just asking for video game recommendations, I hope this thread can be useful...I actually think games can be pretty helpful during recovery (especially early on). So, let's hear what you love.

I played a bit of CS:GO thanks to CH over June July, but it's been too long other than that. I need to find a way to get an N64 so I can revisit some of my childhood :)

What CS:GO? That's how out of it i am when it comes to games ;)

Counter Strike: Global Offensive

re: CS:GO, I have a few lockboxes to open. Waiting for $$$ before I buy a key or two :D

I was really into 1.6 a while back. It is a game derived from the Half Life series, which is another great video game series. I did a long thread about this for Sports & Gaming.

I play a lot of a MMO now.

Dude The Last Of Us is such an amazing game.
I really like Skyrim as well. There was also a game on the PS3 called Heavy Rain that I LOVED. I think you can download it on the PS4 now though.
I enjoy the Resident Evil games as well.

I'm a big MMO guy. Mainly WoW lately with the new patch. I have maxed level toons on both sides, Alliance and Horde.

Also been on a Fallout 4 binge lately. I beat it back when it came out but been focusing more on the story and side quests this go around.

I'm a big MMO guy. Mainly WoW lately with the new patch. I have maxed level toons on both sides, Alliance and Horde.

Also been on a Fallout 4 binge lately. I beat it back when it came out but been focusing more on the story and side quests this go around.

Never got into wow, but am a huge fan of ESO

I just downloaded CS:GO...it seems cool but I just keep getting my head blown off. To people who play it on their computer: do you use the keyboard and mouse for controls, or did you buy a special controller? All the keys are confusing the hell out of me.

I just downloaded CS:GO...it seems cool but I just keep getting my head blown off. To people who play it on their computer: do you use the keyboard and mouse for controls, or did you buy a special controller? All the keys are confusing the hell out of me.

There's a very gradual learning curve to it. I use a wired gaming mouse and keyboard.

It helps to understand/memorize the map (slash map sets) and to understand how to shoot ideally (not spamming all your bullets; short, small bursts, or one at a time depending on the gun). And buying the right gun etc.

Many people hack the game.

Anyone ever play Ecco The Dolphin on Sega? I've been trying to get the hang of it recently but it seems quite difficult.. there's this eerie soundtrack and an orca whale telling me to go the Arctic in search of another whale known as 'big blue' but I can't get past the reef area at the start and when I use sonar to talk to the other dolphins they say all of this really cryptic shit about evolution and space which is pretty cool, but they aren't much help.

Apparently, it's an awesome game and the dolphin time travels 50 million years into the past using a time machine built by an ancient human civilisation and then battles aliens. I just wish it was easier to control.

I have heard of this! Back when I was in college and taking a lot of acid someone mentioned it to me I believe and I thought the premise was the coolest thing since sliced bread :)

I don't really ever play video games but sometimes I feel the urge I break out the n64 and play Super Smash Bros and if I can find anyone to play me in multiplayer I'll do Goldeneye but usually everyone gets fed up within 10 minutes because that game is like riding a bike to me and I'm still the best player I know. Proximity mines bitches

Metal Gear Solid series. Fucking epic. Such fond memories. Without a doubt favourite game of all time.

Far Cry 3 pretty fuckin awesome and fun. The one on the island with vaas montenegro as bad guy. Great game.

Red Dead Redemption gta wild west with revolutions in mexico, scalping wild animals in the mountains and poker before a showdown. Great story driven gameplay. Recommed it.

Commander Shephard in Mass Effect. Again words cant describe fucking awesome that series of games are.

Fifa for the football.

I played a bit of CS:GO thanks to CH over June July, but it's been too long other than that. I need to find a way to get an N64 so I can revisit some of my childhood :)

Its not the same, but did you ever try an n64 emulator on the computer? can even get a controller to make it easier to play. can download pretty much any game for it. I know its not the same as a legit n64 and legit controller, but may be enough to fullfill your nostalgia.

Yes I have looked into that. I think part of the craving is for the visceral experience of how much of a PITA those old cartridge system can be to set up and the feeling of those awkward alien sex organ shapes controller TBPH :)

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'll probably go that route at some point just for the hell of it, the emulator I mean.

simco: playing offline with bots helped me get used to that kinda game again after so many years. Granted it's nothing like playing online, but starting at the moderate setting and working my way up make it a bit easier to get used.

If you want an n64, check out eBay or Craigslist. I thought mine was broken so I got on Craigslist and found one. You can usually find them for sale with a bundle of games and controllers. Finding original n64 controllers that are still in good condition is kinda hard. They make knock offs that are brand new but they do not work as well as the originals. I can't remember what game it was I was playing with it but certain buttons didn't work at all with the new knock off controller. All the old originals usually have worn out joysticks but you can still find ones that work just fine even if they have a little wear n tear on them. I grew up with the N64 so that's still my console of choice. AmaZing childhood memories with that thing. I got REALLY sucked into GTA3 and Socom 2 online play with the PS2 for a couple years. These days if I get that rare desire to play a game I'll break out the n64 but that happens once every 2 years or so, and only lasts for 30mins then I'm bored.
I do wish I liked video games more because friends at work are always playing online with each other but I just get bored within 30 minutes. Feel like I'm missing out on good bonding times.

Never got into wow, but am a huge fan of ESO

I've tried ESO when it came out and got so lost. I'm used to open world games and MMOs but for some reason I just got so lost on what to do or where to go. I loved the art style and game play. Also love the Elder Scroll series in general so I might have to give it another go. As much as I love WoW it's kind of done this expansion. Another raid and a few new dungeons but for the most part it's done.

I've tried ESO when it came out and got so lost. I'm used to open world games and MMOs but for some reason I just got so lost on what to do or where to go. I loved the art style and game play. Also love the Elder Scroll series in general so I might have to give it another go. As much as I love WoW it's kind of done this expansion. Another raid and a few new dungeons but for the most part it's done.

It takes some getting used to, and is quite an involved game.

One of my favorites though. I've been playing for a long time and still don't have a top CP level character.

I greatly enjoy playing games, was my favorite thing to do while on opioids, but slowly I lost interest. I just bought new computer for 2000 euros, but haven't really played anything. Last time when I quit opioids after 3 months I started to mediate and exercise every day, it gave my old passions back, I read lots of books, played games and watched lots of documents, it was great to enjoy these things while sober. Addiction slowly takes away the things in your life that you enjoy doing.

I enjoy games with good story. I like Tex Murphy series, played all the games. Also Deus Ex series are great, I enjoy good scifi stories as books and games.

As I was recovering from 2 years of opium use I greatly enjoyed playing Diablo 3 and WoW, actually played them 9 hours a day, got really great satisfaction when I got new powerful items. But as these are endless games I got bored so I turned back to games with stories, even that new WoW expansion of have great story but after finishing it I got bored on endless runs on mythic dungeons, Fallouts are great, I really like when I get change to make choices that affect the story. Oh and Mass Effect 1-3 has one of the greatest stories ever made on games. The new Andromeda is not that great I finished it but skipped all the side quests as they were boring.

Remember to BUY the games to support the game makers, I stopped downloading them illegally over 7 years ago. I always pay for the games and really don't like people who download them illegally.

Last edited: