• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

September Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v It's Fall Again / The Sky is Falling

I just wanted to say that I love everybody in SL right now.. We have a good thing going at the moment.. Let's of veterans to the forum and lot's of newbies making great progress. Some fall, some try again and again, some are putting up big numbers, and some are our anchors but we are all doing this together and help, advice, support or a lesson can come from the oldest to the newest member.

Yaaaaa!! Everyone keep fighting the good fight

Somehow my message disappeared!

Love you all, SL folks <3

Last edited:
hydroazuanacaine, the word 'recovery' is an action word, meaning it's a verb. so hence recovery=action. I've met some people in AA that have multiple years 'dry', and they are fucking miserable. They don't put action in their program so they are just going to meetings, and fellowship. You cannot stay sober by just going to meetings and fellowship alone, it requires work.

I highly suggest that you look into finding someone you can talk with about working the 12 steps, and in working those steps you are taking 'action'! So just start by looking around your city for meetings, and find 1 that interests you. Look around for someone that you feel a connection with, and ask them if they can take you through the steps. That is the sole purpose of a sponsor, they arn't there to slap hands with, or to tell you that everything is going to be alright. They are ment to guide you through the 12 steps.

AA is where I got sober, and it has worked for me. I use the tools that I learned while working the 12 steps. I have a sponsor whom I call daily, I do the footwork because just for today I do not want to drink and drug. I still got my lows where I feel like getting high, and thats okay because its normal.

When I feel like wanting to get high or drinking, I call someone, and tell them that I feel like using, so far I haven't used because I work through it.

Let me know if you need any help in the types of meetings, or what to look for in finding a sponsor. I would be glad to help you!
<3

This isn't recovery related but I'm just wondering if anyone else is sharing a sense of loss that the end of the NASA's Cassini mission wasn't bigger news. I remember being a graduate student at the University of Iowa when Cassini was launched in October 1997 and hanging out near the steps of Van Allen Hall (named for physicist and Iowa native James Van Allen), home to dept of physics and astronomy, in the predawn chill, to see the historic launch.

Kind of ashamed that I am not more familiar with the Cassini mission because both my aunt and uncle are computer programmers for NASA and I was always able to go to see the space launces from the area set up for the astronauts families. The shuttle would literally light up the night sky just like the sun. It would look like midday.

O.K just looked it up and I do remember the mission now.... most interesting for what knowledge we may have gleamed about Saturn's possibly more life supporting moons.

Last edited:
The shuttle launches were nothing short of amazing. Before I was married I used to live in the Conway area of Orlando/Orange County and like you said the night launches would look like midday. I was able to see one launch (friend pulled some strings) from where you described - where the countdown clock everyone sees on TV is. Kennedy Space Center is the only tourist trap where I fork over actual money for an annual pass in Florida.

I'll gladly carpool with you to Still Working on It in Longwood if you want. I like going to the small meetings, 6 and 10pm.

EDIT: NASA felt strongly enough about the possibility of life on Saturn's moon's to destroy the spacecraft than to risk contaminating these satellites of Saturn. That says something.

Last edited:
You would have to pick me up unfortunately because my car is barely driving and I have no gas.

I'm a huge skeptic of life in the universe, and do not believe it exists. It's unlikely we will ever encounter life that did not originate on Earth. That being said, I still think exploration of the universe is important.

I'm a huge skeptic of life in the universe, and do not believe it exists. It's unlikely we will ever encounter life that did not originate on Earth. That being said, I still think exploration of the universe is important.

I kind of have to agree. I am of the opinion that it takes such a specific environmental setup and controlled circumstantial happenstance for life to evolve that I am highly skeptical myself of at least intelligent lifeforms being present. This may also originate from my egocentric viewpoints though..lol.. I have an easier time imagining simple micro organisms... That I could believe due to their ability to adapt to extreme earth conditions.

Somni, that is not an issue. You're not very far out of the way between me and Longwood and I would appreciate the company.

As far as life on other worlds, I agree that we are unlikely to encounter it given the vastness of interstellar space let alone the known universe. But I believe it would be a copout on the part of humanity to stop looking just because it's unlikely.

Well shit son... I would love to go then...lol..... Let me know what's good by PM. I just didn't want to be an inconvenience.

You say 10pm? I'm down for whenever... Wait let me check my schedule. Yep.. I think I can squeeze a meeting right in between compulsively surfing the net and staring at the T.V

Give me a call - the dog has been ailing since her flu shot booster yesterday and I'm not comfortable leaving her alone but maybe tomorrow or next week. You have my number.

Well shit son... I would love to go then...lol..... Let me know what's good by PM. I just didn't want to be an inconvenience.

You say 10pm? I'm down for whenever... Wait let me check my schedule. Yep.. I think I can squeeze a meeting right in between compulsively surfing the net and staring at the T.V

Maybe not life as we know it. It's a huge infinite place all around us. I'd say what a waste of space if it was only meant for us..

Maybe not life as we know it. It's a huge infinite place all around us. I'd say what a waste of space if it was only meant for us..

Were you referring to my statement above about intelligent life on other planets Erick... If so.... True. I could see life evolving in other ways. After all life usually does a pretty good job of finding a way despite the adversity and often against all rational odds that are based upon our perceived understanding of how living organisms work. Case in point would be organisms that live off the gases emitted from hydrothermal vents.

Were you referring to my statement above about intelligent life on other planets Erick... If so.... True. I could see life evolving in other ways. After all life usually does a pretty good job of finding a way despite the adversity and often against all rational odds that are based upon our perceived understanding of how living organisms work. Case in point would be organisms that live off the gases emitted from hydrothermal vents.

I see your point. What comes to my mind are the things, lives that we just became aware they've existed and they were here thousands of years before us and still live among us. Microscopic lives. Just for ludic purposes of argumentation, we all as specifies could be living in a drop of water, so to speak. My point is that our lives could be serving a purpose that we don't know yet.

There are a series called Cosmos (2013) and it's amazing how spectacular and amazing it is life now when we can see it, so incredibly small they can only be seen by potent microscopes and we have only learned they exist thousands of years before us, and don't need oxygen, could live in freezing temperatures humans couldn't survive.

If life can exist in frozen temperatures where no oxygen is needed, then our perception of life changes.

google tells me distance from earth to pluto is 7 light hours and the diameter of the sphere of the observable universe is an estimated 90+ billion light years. "littered with galaxies." that's a lot of opportunity to overcome whatever overwhelming odds. there's gotta be other intelligent life. tons of it.

Last edited:
If life can exist in frozen temperatures where no oxygen is needed, then our perception of life changes.

I think that is what made Cassini so fascinating was the discovery of large, deep oceans of organic hydrocarbons on Titan. A totally alien environment to us for sure but maybe no less hostile to life than early earth was.

Indeed, that's my point. We don't know what we don't know. For years we thought we were the first, but no, creatures of all kinds existed before us and with us, except that we don't see them.

That doesn't make them less real. Think about it, an entire galaxy and many others for men only. What would be the odds of that?

Last edited:
Indeed, that's my point. We don't know what we don't know. For year we thought we were the first, but no, creatures of all kinds existed before us and with us, except that we don't see them.

That doesn't make them less real. Think about it, an entire galaxy and many others for men only. What would be the odds of that?

I listened to an audiobook by Japanese-American physicist Michio Kaku in which he explains string theory in laymens terms. Our own universe, as huge as it seems to us, may be only one of an infinite number of others and our own may have been brought into being by a collision of other universes "The Big Bang."

Yes, we know nothing before that. Nothing that can be proved I mean.

But I believe we have an immense galaxy and so many things we don't know.
We are now exploring the space further- farther. I assume they expect to find new things- unknown to us now.

This is history evolving and somehow repeating itself. A couple of hundred years ago what did we as humans known? Not that much. I believe we'll be surprised as nothing exists without a reason IME. Who knows for sure what's out there, besides we proved that we had been wrong from the start.

From my perspective, there's still a lot yet to be discovered. So much is being invested out there in space. If we could get a glance of the future- just 100 years from now? Will we still be here, I wonder.. :)

If we could get a glance of the future- just 100 years from now? Will we still be here, I wonder.. :)

I have a cycling buddy who is a planetary scientist over at Kennedy Space Center and it is depressing talking to him about climate change. He is convinced that once the methane that is frozen in the Siberian permafrost thaws, we are going to go the way of Venus. Just a few months ago there were mysterious explosions and craters opening up in Siberia. The suspected cause is thawed methane that somehow ignited.

Also, just thought of this, but when our sun becomes a red giant and consumes the inner planets, who knows how temperate bodies like Titan and Jupiter's Europa will be? Certainly closer to our idea of habitability and life could develop and flourish for a few hundred million years before the sun becomes a dwarf star