• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is addiction a brain disease?

In any case… what are the results of all the neurobiological research until now? I mean real stuff that is helping people now. We all know the promises and potential benefits.

Main biological therapies for addiction as far as I know: Methadone, disulfiram, naltrexone, nicotine. The first two I think they are from the sixties and the others from the late 80 or early 90. Since then tons of money spent and… what?

If neuroscience of addiction were a company it would have gone to bankruptcy fifteen years ago…

This research has identified at least 3 major transcription factor gene targets (CREB, NF-kB, and ΔFosB), 1 major epigenetic gene target (G9a), and a host of potential epigentic gene targets. All of the transcriptional targets of ΔFosB are also potential gene targets. Since not all of the biomolecular targets that mediate drug addictions have been identified, more research is still needed before there are any clinical applications; however, if gene therapy is one of those clinical applications, the major bottleneck to reaching clinical practice is likely going to be with gene therapy itself which is still in its infancy (see Gene therapy#Hurdles).

Some gene therapies fail for various reasons (e.g., lack of expression of the associated protein) and new gene therapies may require the development of new viral vectors that target only a specific cell type and have sufficient carrying capacity for the genetic material that it will be delivering to the cell. There are also other issues with current gene therapy biotechnology that are mentioned in that Gene therapy#Hurdles link.

This may be an odd angle but has anyone ever considered looking into whether or not drugs have a nutritive / supportive effect on the physiology of some people?

What if there are populations lacking in inherent dopamine production, or serotonin, or something else, and the drugs are providing a stop-gap for them, just like if you took a vitamin? I don't struggle with addiction but for me personally even micro-doses of stimulants make my life feel a whole lot better.

After all, we have a lot of functional addicts out there who never need intervention.

If drugs were legal and all addicts had unlimited access, how many would lead functional lives and how many would spiral?

It's a complex subject, to be sure. Some people have deep seated emotional or psychiatric conditions that need treatment as the root of addiction. But when it comes to something like heroin, how many users stay at the same dosage level indefinitely, regardless of the reason for their addiction?

This research has identified at least 3 major transcription factor gene targets (CREB, NF-kB, and ΔFosB), 1 major epigenetic gene target (G9a), and a host of potential epigentic gene targets. All of the transcriptional targets of ΔFosB are also potential gene targets. Since not all of the biomolecular targets that mediate drug addictions have been identified, more research is still needed before there are any clinical applications; however, if gene therapy is one of those clinical applications, the major bottleneck to reaching clinical practice is likely going to be with gene therapy itself which is still in its infancy (see Gene therapy#Hurdles).

Some gene therapies fail for various reasons (e.g., lack of expression of the associated protein) and new gene therapies may require the development of new viral vectors that target only a specific cell type and have sufficient carrying capacity for the genetic material that it will be delivering to the cell. There are also other issues with current gene therapy biotechnology that are mentioned in that Gene therapy#Hurdles link.

This is exacly what I was talking about. Promises and intermediate goals that are not helping anyone yet. Contingency management, cognitive behavioral therapy, motivational interviewing and a good education are helping people now, with proven efficacy and are still underfunded and not available to most of the addicted patients.

This may be an odd angle but has anyone ever considered looking into whether or not drugs have a nutritive / supportive effect on the physiology of some people?

What if there are populations lacking in inherent dopamine production, or serotonin, or something else, and the drugs are providing a stop-gap for them, just like if you took a vitamin? I don't struggle with addiction but for me personally even micro-doses of stimulants make my life feel a whole lot better.

After all, we have a lot of functional addicts out there who never need intervention.

If drugs were legal and all addicts had unlimited access, how many would lead functional lives and how many would spiral?

It's a complex subject, to be sure. Some people have deep seated emotional or psychiatric conditions that need treatment as the root of addiction. But when it comes to something like heroin, how many users stay at the same dosage level indefinitely, regardless of the reason for their addiction?

I think that is the case in a significant part of recreational users or treated patients.

I think the real question is, what do we mean when we say disease.

Is it a disease like syphilis or HIV? No. Is it a disease like mental illness? Yes (I'd actually argue, as a kind of developmental/learning disorder, it is a form of mental illness itself). I definitely see "addiction" (what a horribly dated concept) as more akin to the disease of poverty than something like a communicable disease.

Two books worth reading: Chasing the Scream (lots of great footnotes on this topic) and Creating the American Junkie: Addiction Research in the Classic Era of Narcotic Control. Also worth reading this paper on the subject of some of the issues that plague this debate (granted it's a tad highfalutin): http://www.ijdp.org/article/S0955-3959(13)00010-8/fulltext

The seemingly never ending debate between folks more interested in a biological and cognitive approach versus a more sociological and learning based approach is so frustrating to me, because at their essence I don't see them as mutually exclusive frameworks. Rather, they tend to inform one another, painting a much more accurate picture together than in isolation.

I have yet to find a framework exploring "addiction" that is more valuable than a learning based approach (learning is also effected by biological conditions, genetics, etc, but it certainly isn't limited on a fundamental level by them either). But identifying a drug as the program as opposed to how we deal with a drug on a social level is far easier for folks getting their funding by a government deeply invested in prohibition and the war on drugs.

One truly cannot get at this debate without exploring the politics of why so much of the research is focused on the cognitive side of the debate in the US (well, internationally too).

I have read the article you referenced and despite its intricate writing, I found it very interesting and illustrating.

I totally agree with you when you say they are not exclusive and both views compliment each other. In a way I could admit that "addiction" is a brain disease, but what I don't like is all the emphasis and predominance that the study of the brain and the neuro-talk has in the addiction field.

Another way to view this problem is that let's say 2000 years from now your loved one has a severe chronic addiction problem and comorbid neuropsychiatric illness (e.g. Bipolar) - would you rather have your loved one treated by neuroscientists/psychiatrists or treated by psychologists that haven't evolved to use any real biological therapies?

If gene therapies and other biological therapies develop the way that we hope they will, I personally have no doubts I would choose for my loved one to be treated by the neuroscientists rather than the psychologists, if I had to choose one or the other.

Another way to view this problem is that let's say 2000 years from now your loved one has a severe chronic addiction problem and comorbid neuropsychiatric illness (e.g. Bipolar) - would you rather have your loved one treated by neuroscientists/psychiatrists or treated by psychologists that haven't evolved to use any real biological therapies?

If gene therapies and other biological therapies develop the way that we hope they will, I personally have no doubts I would choose for my loved one to be treated by the neuroscientists rather than the psychologists, if I had to choose one or the other.

At any time I would like my loved ones to be treated by the qualified and human professionals in the most evidence-based therapies. However I think it is triky to think about my loved ones in 2000 years when there is people suffering right now that could benefit from a more fair and according to evidence distribution of research and treatment funds.

I have been studying this topic for a while and I'd like to hear (read) your opinions. Do you think addiction is a disease? Do you think it is a disease of the brain? Do you think we should focus in the brain to treat addiction and think about human-drug interactions?

If you need to warm up I leave you some of the main articles on the topic:

1.- Alan Leshner (NIDA director at the time) first proclamation of the addiction as a brain disease model (ABDM)
Leshner, A. I. (1997). Addition is a Brain Disease, and it Matters. Science, 278(5335), 45–47. http://doi.org/10.1126/science.278.5335.45

2.- Nora Volkow (now NIDA director) defense of ABDM:
Volkow, N. D., Koob, G. F., & McLellan, A. T. (2016). Neurobiologic Advances from the Brain Disease Model of Addiction. The New England Journal of Medicine, 374(4), 363–71. http://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra1511480

3.- Addiction is not a diesase:
Satel, S., & Lilienfeld, S. O. (2014). Addiction and the brain-disease fallacy. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 4(MAR), 1–11. http://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2013.00141

4.- Addiction is a 'social' disease:
Levy, N. (2013). Addiction is not a brain disease (and it matters). Frontiers in Psychiatry, 4(APR), 1–7. http://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2013.00024

5.- There is not enough evidence to suport the ABDM and it promotes social injustice:
Hart, C. (2017). Viewing addiction as a brain disease promotes social injustice. Nature Human Behaviour, 1(February), 55. http://doi.org/10.1038/s41562-017-0055

There's one study where researchers build "rat park" heaven for rats and none really got addicted to heroine, also during the Vietnam war soldiers were using heroin but they all seemed to go back to normal once they returned home.

Point is that besides the obvious neurochemical changes, programming drugs in the brain, if you are happy, have friends are in a good environment then you wont get addicted, atleast if that rat study applies to humans.

Ibogaine acts on almost all the pathways involved in addiction and actively seems to reverse the neurochemical changes caused by drugs of abuse.

also during the Vietnam war soldiers were using heroin but they all seemed to go back to normal once they returned home.
The issue there is that there are soldiers that remained addicted afterwards. We may think about these few people as the more so "biological" addicts, if you will.

At any time I would like my loved ones to be treated by the qualified and human professionals in the most evidence-based therapies. However I think it is triky to think about my loved ones in 2000 years when there is people suffering right now that could benefit from a more fair and according to evidence distribution of research and treatment funds.
A gigantic cause of suffering to addicts at the moment (and a cause of perpetuation of their addictions) is probably treating them like criminals, which seems to have a fair bit to do with the idea that addicts are choosing to use drugs of their own volition and that they should be punished for their choice.

The loss of the normal degree of free will (and free won't, or impulse control) is central to the idea of addiction, and has enormous implications for the way we treat our addicts. With the evidence of orbitofrontal cortex dysfunction contributing to addiction, and its known role in normal human behavior, I'm not sure why we would consider the impulse control dysfunction seen in many addicts to be non-neurobiological.

See the earlier longitudinal study on the effect of chronic stress et cetera on OFC volume, if you still need a rationale to treat the environmental component (without believing that the issue is non-biological).

A gigantic cause of suffering to addicts at the moment (and a cause of perpetuation of their addictions) is probably treating them like criminals, which seems to have a fair bit to do with the idea that addicts are choosing to use drugs of their own volition and that they should be punished for their choice.

I could not possibly agree with you more. The notion that addiction is a "choice" is beyond absurd; no compulsion is a choice.

I could not possibly agree with you more. The notion that addiction is a "choice" is beyond absurd; no compulsion is a choice.

I agree with you both. The blame should not be in the victim, for sure. This is one of the most used arguments to blame the brain. But do not forget that blaming the brain so much we distract our attention from social injustice and criminalization of drug use, who is maybe the first to blame.

I think we're still getting a bit lost in the etiology here. The causality of the behavior of addicts still has to do with pathology of the motivational, reinforcement and impulse control circuits, regardless of whether it was a crappy society that contributed to e.g. a weakened OFC.

Substance addiction (alcohol and drug dependence) is classed as a mental illness alongside depression, anxiety, bi-polar etc. From what I understand, the repetitive use of any type of drug will result in the formation of a specific neural pathway, upon habitual use of the substance the pathway will strengthens. In response to you referring to addiction as a "brain disease", doesn't really make much sense in my opinion. I mean its clinically classified as a mental illness, so it seems to me like you're just saying the same thing in a different way. With all this said, addiction isn't purely based on what's going on in your head, it also is largely dependant on factors such as the surrounding environment.

Substance addiction (alcohol and drug dependence) is classed as a mental illness alongside depression, anxiety, bi-polar etc. From what I understand, the repetitive use of any type of drug will result in the formation of a specific neural pathway, upon habitual use of the substance the pathway will strengthens. In response to you referring to addiction as a "brain disease", doesn't really make much sense in my opinion. I mean its clinically classified as a mental illness, so it seems to me like you're just saying the same thing in a different way.

A "brain disease" refers to a disease with a biological origin in the brain. The assertion that addiction is not a "brain disease" is equivalent to the assertion that the form of behavior commonly referred to as "compulsive drug use" (i.e., the behavior that characterizes all forms of drug addiction) is not a disease at all – since the brain is responsible for all behavior elicited by humans which is not innately reflexive – but a form of behavior which is either (1) an internally-driven, willful choice which is not compulsive in any way and/or (2) an externally-driven consequence of one's environment.

The 1st statement by itself is equivalent to asserting that there is no loss of objective, goal-oriented decision making capacity in addicts and they simply want to abuse drugs despite the consequences (i.e., an addict's executive functions are completely intact and he or she is therefore fully able to exert cognitive control over their behavior in order to stop using drugs at any time, if they so choose). The 2nd statement by itself is equivalent to the idea that humans lack free will (i.e., that the behavior of both addicts and non-addicts is entirely determined by stimulus control of behavior with no goal-oriented decision making capacity; in other words, any healthy individual who is placed in an addict’s environment will become an addict since they can’t choose not to elicit the same behaviors).

If both of those statements are assumed to be true, it would imply that treatment-seeking addicts (i.e., individuals who have chosen to stop using an addictive drug after initially choosing to non-compulsively "abuse" an addictive drug for some time) would be able to easily and effectively stop using addictive drugs, and never relapse, simply by moving far away to a new location that is devoid of drugs and drug cues (e.g., a small town with a non-existent prevalence of street drugs); this is because operantly and classically conditioned behavioral responses (i.e., stimulus control of behavior) are entirely driven by external/environmental stimuli, which would no longer be present under those circumstances. The occurrence of cravings would not trigger relapse in a treatment-seeking addict under these circumstances because an addict would be fully capable of exerting cognitive control over their behavior by choosing not to act on that desire, exactly like non-addicts are able to.

All of the things I've described above are obviously nonsensical; that's due to the fact that an addict's drug use behavior stems from pathological drug-induced changes in their brain, resulting in impaired executive functions, amplified sensitivity to rewarding stimuli (most of all to the addictive drug that they use; operant reinforcement is governed by reward cognition), and reduced sensitivity to aversive stimuli (e.g., negative outcomes associated with drug use; operant punishment is governed by aversive cognition), among other changes (e.g., those associated with drug dependence/withdrawal). Since all of these changes involve cognitive functions which are directly responsible for decision making and action selection, behavioral changes occur as a direct consequence; in particular, behavioral responses to the environment will change even when the environmental conditions that trigger those behaviors remain static (e.g., a rat with free access to meth in an operant conditioning chamber will gradually use more and more provided that it starts to use it regularly). Hence, treatment-seeking addicts will fail to adhere to treatment even if they truly or desperately want to stop due to the fact that their behavior has become very strongly controlled by rigid/inflexible learned behavioral responses (aka prepotent responses) which have become very difficult to "unlearn" (i.e., undergo extinction) due to the aforementioned changes in cognition. So, returning to my previous example, even if an addict moves to a town with a very low prevalence of drugs, their lack of ability to exert cognitive control (specifically, inhibitory control) over their behavior when a craving arises can and usually will result in them taking a trip to another location where they can acquire and use the drug to which they're addicted.

With all this said, addiction isn't purely based on what's going on in your head, it also is largely dependant on factors such as the surrounding environment.
Every single thought and sensation that humans experience and every single behavior (excluding innate reflexes like the knee-jerk reflex) that humans elicit is 100% determined by what's going on in their head (NB: the spinal cord mediates innately reflexive behavior). The environment drives human behavior through the systems of neural pathways that give rise to operant and classical conditioning (i.e., the reward and aversion systems) precisely because those two learning processes are responsible for shaping behavioral responses to the environment which are not unlearned/innate reflexes. Moreover, it's not the environment that changes when a healthy person who uses an addictive drug turns into an addict; rather, the “thing” that changes when that individual becomes an addict is the structure and function of the networks of neural pathways in the brain that (1) govern their behavioral responses to the environment and (2) govern their ability to inhibit behavioral responses to the environment in order to select behaviors in line with their goals.

THAT is why addiction is a "brain disease".

Last edited: