• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cabergoline and MDMA?

throw_away42

Greenlighter
Hello, friends! Using a throwaway because I'm overly cautious, haha.

Apologies if this belongs in a different forum. I'm looking for educated answers rather than speculation based on gut instinct.

If someone is prescribed .25mg of Cabergoline twice a week, will a normal or low dose of MDMA react badly?

I attempted my own research, but I'm not science minded. Looks like Cabergoline is a dopamine agonist, meaning it makes the brain release more dopamine, right? Wikipedia says MDMA "increases the release and slows the reuptake of neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine." Does that mean it's also a dopamine agonist?

Is it bad to take them together? Theoretically, wouldn't the combination just release a lot of dopamine, and my body would just take longer to reuptake it? Would that be bad? Would a lower dose of MDMA be better or would it just kill the user?

In another topic on this forum, the combination of Cab and MDMA was referred to as "3-meo-pcp/MXE"... I tried looking it up but couldn't find anything. Just a chart on TripSit that listed a "Caution" symbol with MDMA & 5-MeO-xxT/MDMA & MXE combinations. I'm pretty ignorant though so I don't want to go on just that without getting more info.

Forgive my ignorance but I'm trying really hard to understand it, hoping someone can give me a definitive answer and explain it to me. There are very few answers on the Internet. Some people have taken them together and reported nothing bad, but I want to see what the science says first...

Cabergoline is one of the ergoloid derivative direct agonists at DA receptors. MDMA is mainly a releaser/reuptake inhibitor rather than directly agonistic at DA receptors. The ergoloid DA agonists often also have a strong agonist effect at 5HT2b receptors. This could be a bad thing with MDxx given the 5HT release and also some direct 5HT2b agonism itself (this receptor when activated can cause, with prolonged and especially repetitive prolonged stimulation, since this can lead to cardiac abnormalities, particularly a valvulopathy involving the mitral valve, and cardiac fibrosis. This was the reason fenfluramine and its combination fen/phen, fenfluramine and phentermine, got shitcanned as a diet drug, because fenfluramine is very long lasting, a potent 5HT2b agonist, and its metabolite, norfenfluramine is also very long lasting and a potent 5HT2bR agonist.

There's nothing wrong as I'm assuming you're not taking MDMA every fucking day

Well in that case, cabergoline is probably the least of one's problems.

Besides, the 5-HT depletion and inhibition of tryptophan hydroxylase use even close to that would cause....it wouldn't take too long before one would never want to see another line for the rest of one's life.

Hell, take enough on just one day, and you'll get a taste of that. Many years ago, I remember (some of) the time I took too much, 5 'white sharks', which at the time, around these parts, were potent as all fucking hell. Looking back, half would have done me, and from the trippy nature of the first, it might have been MDA, since it was quite psychedelic, different to the MDMA and methylone I've had, although I've never taken MDA itself knowingly, these white shark pills were quite different. And I suspect they were dosed pretty high. First one had me off my tits, but for some reason I ended up taking the other 4, within the space of a few hours. This being during my late teen years, when I was young in body as well as at heart, and fucking hell, I was tripping my arse off, then came a break in the tripping, until a few days later, without any sleep, until sleep deprivation started to make me hallucinate, to the point where I could barely see what was real and what wasn't.

Seeing big swirling dark black and green vortexes open up in the walls with grasping, grabbing vines sprawling out of them.

Didn't sleep after that for 3-4 weeks. After that I'd recovered just about enough to manage to come up with a reason to get some chlormethiazole and benzos from my GP. Although even after knocking myself senseless, washing them down with a few beers (in this respect, do as I say, not as I did-DON'T do that. Chlormethiazole interacts badly with ethanol, inhibiting alcohol dehydrogenase, and is quite capable of killing people in combination. As mentioned, young and with a kid's sense of invincibility, accompanied by a crash from hell and associated scrambled head from the second-longest period of continuous sleep deprivation I've ever endured, I think the sense of invincibility thing, is hardwired into any and every kid, because at that time, I didn't have too many other senses left to work with. Just exhaustion and weird ass holes leading to god only knows where, inhabited by fuck only knows what, with weird ass vines for limbs)

But come the next day, looking back, I doubt I NEEDED the excuses, whatever they were, to my doctor, because I looked like complete shit. Like a krokodil-addict who'd been put through a woodchipper, superglued back together, eaten by a dog, crapped out, eaten by another dog, sicked up, then dragged in by the cat. Backwards, passing through multiple hedges on the way. Only much more bad tempered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dopamine agonist means the compound directly activates dopamine receptors, which is not the same as causing the release of dopamine (releasing agents) or making released dopamine persist longer in the synapse (reuptake inhibitors).

More than likely there won't be much of an interaction between MDMA and cabergoline. If anything it might enhance the effects of MDMA due to it activating some of the same targets responsible for the effects of MDxx family drugs (5-HT1a for some empathogenic effects, 5-HT2a for hallucinogenic effects, etc.) However this would be expected more at higher dose levels of cabergoline only, somehow I suspect if you are on 0.25mg of cabergoline then it will be pretty selective for dopamine D2 receptors, as the affinities are <1nM binding for D2, ~2nM for 5HT2b and ~10nM+ for other receptors.

Limpet: cool story, bro

Last edited: