• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Post your all time Favorite WAR movies

Tech Kinetics

Bluelighter
Please post WAR themed or based movies on actual wars or war events.
This does not include: Predator, Starship Troopers, Rambo Trilogy, Aliens or any other type of "Fictional" war

My list:

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Platoon
3. Braveheart
4. Black Hawk Down
5. Three kings

I cant say im a big fan of the genre but...
Saving Private Ryan- left me and the rest of the cinema totally bewildered and shocked by the power of the opening 30 min or so.
Platoon- Oliver Stone directed, plus great cast. Likable characters Elias(Wilem Dafoe).
Aliens- I was stuck for a 3rd, not a war film in the traditional sense but a classic never the less.

Boys in company C

Dr. Strangelove

Apocalypse Now

Full Metal jacket

Hamburger Hill

#1 Enemy at the Gates Most authentic and historically accurate war movie IMO. It was based on a true story and what a story it was.

#2 Saving Private Ryan
#3 Black Hawk Down
#4 Platoon
#5 A Bridge Too Far
#6 The Great Escape
#7 The Guns of Navaron

1) Platoon is my favorite (i love the scenes with the guys getting high in the bunker).
2)Saving Private Ryan was a great film especially the opening battle.
you cant forget '1941' with John Belushi (joke of course).
I thought that 3)'We were soldiers' (mel gibson) was pretty powerful as well. 4) Full metal jacket was great for the boot camp portion but got kinda weak during the actual battle.

Hands down, Pearl Harbor is THE best war movie of all time!!!!

Just kidding.

I have to give my vote to Black Hawk Down or Saving Private Ryan.

Big fan of war movies!!

(in no particular order)

-Full Metal Jacket
-Saving Private Ryan
-Hamburger Hill
-Platoon
-Band of Brothers
-Black Hawk Down

considering i enjoy reading history... i don't mind having knowledge about war... but i don't feel the need to revel in all proudful milataries and stupid bullshit the word has done, and will continue to do for the rest of time.. Full Metal Jacket i have to give props to strictly b/c of Kubrick.. but overall i think war movies are stupid.

Why are movies based upon factual information stupid? They help people understand things that happend and do occur in real life. I understand that you may not like wars and neither do i but please atleast explain why you think war movies are stupid. If you say they are here to glorify killing i wont take that as an explaination because its a cop out answer. They are here for understanding and to help us all learn...IMHO.

These are movies i like...

Schindlers List...
Saving Private Ryan..
Rules of Engagement...
13 days...

^^ Oh shit, how could I forget Schindler's List?? Definitely one of the best movies about World War II ever made. Although it wasn't really about the War, it was about the Holocaust but I think that still counts.

I also have to give a vote to a program called Letters from Vietnam. This movie uses actual letters written by soldiers in Vietnam and it's all real war footage. It's a powerful and disturbing depiction of the harsh reality of war.

^^^
There seems to be a lot of disturbing stuff about the Vietnam war

And I've seen some of those pictures as well
Platoon & Casualties of War shows some of them.

you should all be ashamed

none of you mentioned "patton", with george c scott

same for the rest

-dr strangelove (i guess you could call it a war movie
-lawrence of arabia
-the anchurian candidate
-boot das

ditto for the already mentioned
-apocalpyse now
-full metal jacket
--the bridge over river kwai
-the great escape (1963 version)

The Manchurian Candidate

If you have not seen this movie, drop everything now and run out to the tape store.

i like art, movies, etc.. for various reasons... enlightenment, escapism, emotional expressionism, phisophical exploration, and political ideals..and i have no problem with movies being based in reality whatsoever..

I like seeing art's reaction to war more than art covering/documenting war with a patriotic viewpoint brought on with human sympathy. The art that spewed out of Germany during WW2 that was escapism from the war... and Spain..and Italy (dada for an example), as well as during vietnam--protest songs, etc.. i tend to take more joy in.

i just don't like factual movies, its me. If i want the facts, i'll pick up a nonfiction book or watch the discovery channel. The one thing movies about war i think are good for, other than the blind instillment of patriotism in the american people, is sometimes...just sometimes years after the war has actually occured, it seems to expose new information to the public.

ex. Pearl Harbor showing that we knew it was going to be attacked before it happened.

If i had some exposure to war movies made in other countries, along side of american made war movies and had a nice balance of opinion, interruptation about what actually went on... then i might loosen up. But i haven't seen many foriegn films on war. Frankly i want to see a WWII movie from germany's point of view, japan's point of view....whether at that time, or in hindsight, no matter. Otherwise, war movies are no more than cheerleaders going "be aggressive be be aggresive" rooting for your team.

I'd rather have worldly all encompassing view, see some of the hearfelt situations on the other side of the story, along side of america's story. To me its just been too politically one-sided and that's why i tend to stay away from an empty shallow Hollywood touching something as empty and shallow as patriotism (your racism divided by boarders and political scandal, and economics)

On a more personal note.... my father made sure we only had cable to one television in the house when i grew up. And he controls the fucking remote whenever he walks in the room, regardless if someone else was already watching something. And he watches 3 things. Football/Golf/College Basketball, war movies, and westerns. Due to the number of special stand ups on HBO i missed, music videoes i've been dying to come out, and the like that he ruined throghout the years, i've grown to have a huge distaste in his entertainment.

Last edited:
/\
|
|
|
|
patton shows a decent representation of both sides of the war

there are also some decent european war films that show the enemy side, but i can't remember the names but you can't find them online

not a movie but my vote goes to Band of Brothers, that mini series left my floored by the last eposide, so much I went out and paid a 100 bucks when it came out on DVD, if anyone hasn't seen it I highly highly recommend watching it, for movies Black Hawk Down was good and Saving Private Ryan was too and techincally its a war movie and second its my favorite mover ever but Braveheart

I'm not a big fan of the genre but I have to admit I really love Apocolypse Now so thats my pick. I probably like it because there's a lot more going on in it than the typical war flick and of course the underlying structure of Conrad's Heart of Darkness adds a bit to the film.

Oh, and I don't consider Dr. Strangelove a war movie but since everyone elses is mentioning I'll add that I really like that one too :)

heh, a chick who likes war movies

Band of Brothers was amazing... I was in a class jr year called "World at War" that was all about WWI and WWII. Watching Band of Brothers was actually a homework assignment.

see also:

Full Metal Jacket
Enemy at the Gates
Saving Private Ryan (although everytime I hear that title I automatically think "shaving ryan's privates... dont ask)
Tigerland -- one of the best Vietnam movies I've ever seen