Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Post your all time Favorite WAR movies

Yesterday said:
Tigerland -- one of the best Vietnam movies I've ever seen [/B]

^^^^
When did that movie come out?? And who stars in it??

I've never even heard of that movie!

Uncommon Valor
The Patriot
Braveheart
Rob Roy
Full Metal Jacket
When We Were Soldiers

I could never watch the whole movie, but the opening scene in Saving Private Ryan was unbelievable.

tigerland came out like 2 years ago it was Colin Farrell's first movie, its more about the war training part before you leave for Vietnam, still a decent movie though but didn't get really hyped

in no particular order:

bridge on the river kwai
longest day
saving private ryan
apocalypse now
tora!tora!tora!

A few people mentioned the miniseries Band of Brothers; very very powerful and moving!

Apocalypse Now
The Pianist
The Red Badge of Courage
The Deerhunter
Tora! Tora! Tora!
12 O'Clock High
The Thin Red Line
On The Beach

Last edited:
Being a combat vet myself ( Desert Storm ), I have found that the recent trend in war flix is to make them "visually accurate", in other words, the story and visual effects are used to accurately portray the carnage that happens during war. And although this may be disturbing to some, it is good to see that there is some heed being payed to the fact that war is such a terrible thing and that people truly do die in ghastly ways in wartime. I'm glad to see the days of the "clean" war film are gone. Rule#1 in war time is that people die, rule #2 is that there is nothing anyone can do about rule #1. My point here is that if we portray that war is not a supremely awful thing in our art, then our society will not see it for what it is. Robert E. Lee once said " It is a good thing that war is so terrible, so as we don't grow to love it too much". Art must have a social conscience, or the people have no voice that is lasting. The truly great directors have shown this in their work, war films MUST shock us, they MUST show man's inhumanity toward other men, or they are mere propaganda.

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Braveheart
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Gettysburg
6. Ken Burn's The Civil War
7. Platoon
8. Band Of Brothers

9. Gallypoly
10. The Patriot

I haven't seen Tigerland yet, I will make a point to now.

I suppose no one cares for films such as Glory, Memphis Belle, and The Dirty Dozen. Maybe The Thin Red Line? Predator? =D

Last edited:
+Apocolypse Now
+Saving Private Ryan
+Gettysburg
+Glory (is this historically accurate? regardless, it's a great film)
+Full Metal Jacket

By the by, I think the Bridge Over River Kwai is the biggest, stinking pile of shit I've ever seen. It completely disregards any factual information concerning the toil and hardship those POWs faced.

Finder said:
By the by, I think the Bridge Over River Kwai is the biggest, stinking pile of shit I've ever seen. It completely disregards any factual information concerning the toil and hardship those POWs faced.

in, er, your own, er, words: "is this historically accurate? regardless, it's a great film"

alasdair

alasdairm said:
in, er, your own, er, words: "is this historically accurate? regardless, it's a great film"

alasdair

/inserts foot into mouth.

I guess I just didn't find the film powerful enough to move me. Everything seemed so staged and Americanized. And the whistling scene? Ugh. But that's just my opinion. :)

hi there

i didn't mean to chastise.

the whistling scene to me underscores the incredibly stiff-upper lip response to hardship typical of certain English war movie stereotypes. whether they have any basis in fact is, for me, purely a guess.

Americanized is not a word i would use to describe the Alex Guiness world of the Bridge on the River Kwai...

anyway, lots of good discussion in this thread which is the point :)

alasdair

Tech Kinetics said:
^^^
Predator is as equivalent as the movie Planet of the Apes

It's "Fictional war"

You probably want to add the word "Science" to the beginning of your quoted words. A few of the great "war" flicks mentioned happen to be fictional as well.

At least Predator was in the Jungle, using a real world war setting as a backdrop. And from the squad's point of view, namely Dutch's, it was a war man! =D

. GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (1988) Japan

. FORBIDDEN GAMES (1952) France

. APOCALYPSE NOW (1979) USA

. ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1930) USA

I don't recall enough about the warfilms i've seen in the past. But Black Hawk Down completely blew me away.
Full Metal Jacket would have to be on my fave list as well.