• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How does mdma effect learning and memory?

db1995

Bluelighter
Just wondering because I rolled 3 days in a row...

Currently attending a univeristity and i dont feel as sharp as i used to be.

Its been 2.5 months since rolling.

Will my sharpness come back or is my memory going to be impaired for a long time?

From brain imaging and studies on MDMA users we know that it changes brain serotonin activity fairly drastically and impairs verbal and visual memory. The studies have generally been in more chronic users vs non-users but still doesn't bode well for binge use.

Using theee days in a row isn't smart for a lot of reasons, memory impairment included. Bounce back will be individual but likely won't be too long until the changes are at least unnoticeable in the day to day, maybe a couple weeks.

Studies on rats have found that MDMA can cause anxious behaviour for months afterwards, even without neurotoxicity. We can get used to this anxiety and don´t realize that we´re in an alerted state. Learning can be really hard under such circumstances. I would encourage you to do some meditation and body work to become mindful about what´s going on in your body and release unnecessary tension. Do that and you should soon take in information easier, at least from my experience. Good luck

Last edited:
I found that periods of MDMA binging does have an effect on my ability to focus, concentrate, process new information,... basically almost all the skills needed to study. This is a transient effect though, if I abstain for a while this all comes back. I think that you should keep your mind challenged as much as you can to speed up recovery. What rrandy says is true, meditation and mindfulness can really help in cases like this

I wouldn't do multi-day sessions too much, they tend to produce side-effects. And if you do, leave at least a day in between to recover a bit. This also makes the experience much more enjoyable the second day as it brings back the empathogenic effects a bit, which are among the first to disappear when rolling back to back days

I found that periods of MDMA binging does have an effect on my ability to focus, concentrate, process new information,... basically almost all the skills needed to study. This is a transient effect though, if I abstain for a while this all comes back. I think that you should keep your mind challenged as much as you can to speed up recovery. What rrandy says is true, meditation and mindfulness can really help in cases like this

I wouldn't do multi-day sessions too much, they tend to produce side-effects. And if you do, leave at least a day in between to recover a bit. This also makes the experience much more enjoyable the second day as it brings back the empathogenic effects a bit, which are among the first to disappear when rolling back to back days

Yeah I find that periods of MDMA use result in a kind of brain fog. When you look back its almost like you were in a kind of haze, and it certainly effects cognitive ability during said haze. That said, lay off for a while and things tend to return to normal.

I think this is true of most drugs ime, apart from perhaps psychedelics. But certainly weed, benzos and empathogens, off the top of my head..