Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Megathread The OFFICAL Anime Appreciation Megathread! vers Moshi Moshi

Is there anything decent out there in English? I tried crunchyroll and its all japanese language stuff. I'm looking for sci-fi or fantasy, not movies etc. just anime. Japanese language with subs is such a huge turnoff.

Is there anything decent out there in English? I tried crunchyroll and its all japanese language stuff. I'm looking for sci-fi or fantasy, not movies etc. just anime. Japanese language with subs is such a huge turnoff.

Good point. The problem is that americans fail to realise that animation DOESN'T NEED TO BE kids friendly, so when they dub something they tend to sencor the hell out of it.

How ever have you ever watched atla? It's american production but it is anime inspired and if you ask me it is a masterpeace.
Also I have heard people talking good about "one peace" (funnymation dub) even though I've never watched it. Be carefull though, not to watch the dub of 4kids, this company makes the shows it dubs look stupid af with their sencoring.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed watching FLCL and scr-yd, those were my 2 favorites. I also enjoyed watching the anime about alexander the great, and ofcourse dragonball(z,gt,etc)

One Piece has a bunch of English episodes, but they're about 300 episodes behind the subbed versions.

[VIDEO EDIT:

NSFW for spoiler vid to that fight, skipping several episodes because you know how anime does when it comes to fights:

NSFW:
]

Another problem is what bomber said which, as a result, makes subbed anime almost always better than dubbed. Plus, even though I can't understand the language the original voice actors always sound better than their English counterparts. More energetic, more involved in their character.... idk, for me the English voice-actors tend to be near-cringeworthy.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed watching FLCL and scr-yd, those were my 2 favorites. I also enjoyed watching the anime about alexander the great, and ofcourse dragonball(z,gt,etc)
Scr-yd looks intresting, Im gonna watch it when I have the time. About the anime about Alexander the Great, I was amazed when I read it, cause I like anime's taking place in ancient-medival times, and I was especially intrested about that as a Greek, but they didn't do a good work on that. It was to dificult to watch more than a munite of this.

One Piece has a bunch of English episodes, but they're about 300 episodes behind the subbed versions.

[VIDEO EDIT:

NSFW for spoiler vid to that fight, skipping several episodes because you know how anime does when it comes to fights:

NSFW:
]

Another problem is what bomber said which, as a result, makes subbed anime almost always better than dubbed. Plus, even though I can't understand the language the original voice actors always sound better than their English counterparts. More energetic, more involved in their character.... idk, for me the English voice-actors tend to be near-cringeworthy.

Well, I agree the Jap anime voice actors usually sound better, but not always. Gotta give credit to the 4kids actors of Yu-gi-oh!.
Eric Stuart as Kaiba and especially Dan Green as Yugi was the best thing 4kids has ever done.

Well, I agree the Jap anime voice actors usually sound better, but not always. Gotta give credit to the 4kids actors of Yu-gi-oh!.
Eric Stuart as Kaiba and especially Dan Green as Yugi was the best thing 4kids has ever done.

Yu-gi-oh's english cast sounded good, but I have to admit I never watched that one with subtitles.

I usually pick one style for a series and stick with it. The only ones I've switched back and forth from English and Japanese are Bleach, DB/DBZ, One Piece and..... and..... fuck, I know there's another one.... I wanna say Yu Yu Hakusho but I don't think that's dubbed at all... maybe Fairy Tale? I can't remember. :(

Whenever I watch a new series, though, I'll always try the first episode in English. If I can't get into it for whatever reason, I'll switch over to subtitles. It just seems like 9 times out of 10 the english dubs seem like they're meant to blend in with Saturday morning cartoons, regardless of how fucked up the actual show gets.

Really, though, I just have a thing for subtitles/closed captioning. Reading and watching is somehow more immersive for me. I'm weird like that.

I'll be honest, though, I'm gonna be really curious to see how One Punch Man is dubbed.

Me too must say I am a huge Dragon Ball fan, something about Vegeta's attitude problem that really makes me laugh.

Ghost in the Shell in all it's iterations is still my favorite, though Black Lagoon and Helsing Ultimate aren't far behind.

I want to start watching a new anime, so I thought why not pick some ideas here?
So...what's your favourite anime and why?
Mine would be ATLA, great character development, awesome writing, amazing action, various life lessons and motivation to be active in your life. If it doesn't count as an anime just cause it's american production I would say YUGIOH season0.

Death Note is the best anime i've ever watched, i really love the character of Luffy.

I'm a huge fan of Initial D

I actually liked Wangan Midnight more, Initial D has too much of a shounen vibe and it took way too long to wrap the story up. Wangan had less in terms of character development but the characters did seem more unique than ID's and there was a good focus on the car mechanics and the process of tuning for gains.

Anyway, bumping this thread specifically to mention Planetes since the plot is about the topic of this thread at S&T. It's a nicely balanced mix of adventure and romance between the two main characters, who are debris-collecting astronauts. There's very little filler, each episode delivered some deep, thought-provoking shit without drifting away from the character development. It also relates well to the present time because it's about space exploration within our own neighbourhood (Earth orbit, moon colonization) and corporate leadership in space, which is worth mentioning given the SpaceX launch tonight 8o

I actually liked Wangan Midnight more, Initial D has too much of a shounen vibe and it took way too long to wrap the story up. Wangan had less in terms of character development but the characters did seem more unique than ID's and there was a good focus on the car mechanics and the process of tuning for gains.

Anyway, bumping this thread specifically to mention Planetes since the plot is about the topic of this thread at S&T. It's a nicely balanced mix of adventure and romance between the two main characters, who are debris-collecting astronauts. There's very little filler, each episode delivered some deep, thought-provoking shit without drifting away from the character development. It also relates well to the present time because it's about space exploration within our own neighbourhood (Earth orbit, moon colonization) and corporate leadership in space, which is worth mentioning given the SpaceX launch tonight 8o

Looking forward to having a gander at this! :)

Anyone else seen it?

Never heard of Wangan Midnight, thanks for the tip 8o

I loved the soundtrack for ID, does Wangan have something similarly... cheesy?

Gurren Lagann will always have a place in my heart. It's the very anime that got me immersed into the world of anime in the first place, and boy did I choose the right gateway anime.