• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Very important questions about my unique case of diazepam withdrawal

kenyan94

Greenlighter
I apologize if I'm not doing this thing correctly as this is my first post. I've done a lot of searching on my specific issue but I haven't found any information that applies to my unique situation.

So I've experimented with many different things in the past. I have a long history with many different pharmaceuticals and psychedelics. I have never been truly addicted to anything aside from nicotine. And I've never enjoyed benzodiazepines recreationally. Or at all really. No positive effects at all unless I needed to sleep. Over the last 5 years I've probably had a total of two 2mg Xanax bars and felt no positive effects whatsoever, therefore I have never had the urge to take them.

Fast forward to approximately 4 weeks ago today. My friend hit me up with 22 5mg valium pills. Normally I wouldn't even consider the offer but since I just switched from first shift to third shift at my new job, I figured I would use them for a week to adjust to my new sleep schedule. Obviously this was a very uneducated and stupid decision. I always do extensive research on anything I put in my body but this time I did not.

Anyways I ended up taking all 22 of them within 10 days without a day off between doses. I also had 3-4 beers on two of these nights (bad idea, I know.) and on day 10 of this binge I took 2gs of phenibut (terrible idea also).

The first day without valium went by as normal, as did the second. But when day 3 without valium arrived I suddenly had extreme uncontrollable tremors and shakes. Impossible to hide from my coworkers. I looked like an alcoholic in detox. Anyways the next day I woke up feeling ok but shaky until I had my first seizure. This was only a focal point seizure as I did not lose complete consciousness, but I did have to lay down and convulse and twitch while my eyes darted around without my control. This lasted maybe 5-20 minutes. It's hard to know for sure since it seemed like forever at the time. I went to sleep after this and woke up to have 3 more of these seizure over the next 24 hours. Each time I felt as though I was better before it hit me out of nowhere. After that the seizures stopped for good and I went through 10 more days of pure anguish. I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to those who have used benzos for long periods and higher doses but I truly was afraid that I might not survive without medical help. My body was on fire I couldn't stop shaking and I had waves of something worse than panic. I would call it dread. As if It would never end and like I was dying. After these agonizing 10 days I decided to have a half of one valium. Felt much better and waited as long as possible (4 days) until I had another half. I followed this same schedule for one more week. I still felt like ass but it was completely manageable and tolerable. Then after a week of abstinence I visited some old friends and got pretty drunk. Had terrible rebound anxiety the next two days so I took another half (2.5mg) and feel fine again. It has been 3 days since my last dose and I feel 100% normal at this moment.

My question is if anyone out there has even a ball park guess on when I will be back to normal 100%. As I said before I have absolutely no interest in benzos and I flushed my stash and told my friend not to offer me them again. Even though I'm completely confident that I won't ever want anything benzo related for the rest of my life I figured the extra measures couldn't hurt.

The real most important question I have is when will it be safe for me to drink alcohol again? I have no problem with alcohol nor do I have any alcoholic tendencies. I hope you know I have no reason to lie about that. I just enjoy a light beer after work with dinner sometimes and maybe once every couple months I'll drink enough to get more than a buzz but not lose control by any means. Basically if there is a wedding or a rare special event I will allow myself to let loose and get a good drunk on. I have a very mature relationship with alcohol so I'm not worried about it becoming a problem I'm just worried about it bringing back the valium withdrawal.

One last question. I suppose the only way I would consider doing 1 small benzo dose in the future would be if I dropped acid and needed it on the very off chance that I have a bad trip and need to calm down. Keep in mind I only trip acid once every year or two max and I've only needed it once to end a bad trip. So there's an extremely small chance that I would feel the need to take one dose in the next 12 months.

I'm sorry for the lengthy post and if my times aren't completely accurate and hard to follow. Any response will be tremendously appreciated.

This is going to be a very individual thing. Some people once theyve had wds then they will always have wds even with small amounts of alcohol. After going through wds it took me approx. 2 yrs of mostly abstinence, Id have some every couple of months or so to see how i felt, before i was able to drink normally again without wds. I would suggest a long period of abstinence. And once you drink make sure you have a valium on hand in case the drinking causes bad withdrawal. You're usage was not that bad and not very long for you to have seizures so you're definitely susceptible to having bad wds.

22 5mg valiums = 5.5mg xanax.

Wow you had seizures from that amount of benzos? That makes me very worried about my benzo use

Hi There! I have taken Ativan, Valium and Xanax both recreationally and regularly. Typically you will have two types of benzos. The ones that work quick, but do not last long such as ativan, which if taken regularly you will still have long withdrawal symptoms, and then you have the longer acting ones such as Valium and Xanax. What happens with the longer acting ones, is they build up in your bloodstream within two days which can make you physically dependent much faster, and will cause you to have PAWS (post acute withdrawal symptoms) which is what you are having. This will occur usually a couple days after the drug leaves your blood (benzos) only. Alcohol can have a much longer onset of PAWS. Your best bet is to taper using a small dose of ativan for two days, and you will be fine. With benzos you will typically want to taper with a different one than dependent on.

Thank you all so much for your timely responses. And yeah it's pretty crazy I had seizures after such short term use. I do believe the phenibut and alcohol had something to do with that. But will I know when I'm fully recovered? Or is it possible that I could feel fully recovered and still be going through PAWS without being totally aware of it? Such a terrible Unecessary experience but I'm glad it happened in a way. Now I know not to mess around with that garbage. And I feel like I can handle
Just about anything after surviving the first week of w/d. It makes opiate and amphetamine withdrawal look like a minor cold compared to BZO w/d.

Please see a doctor or medical professional, tell him or her what happened to you with the seizures and benzo withdrawal, about how you have used phenibut and alcohol, acid, and any other drugs you may use, and follow their advice about how to get off of benzos. Stay safe.

I appreciate the advice but I am well past having seizures or shakes or really any withdrawal symptoms aside from functioning at a slightly lower level than normal. And I'm not as happy as I normally am but I really am feeling almost entirely back to normal. I was actually going to head to the ER if I had another seizure but they stopped happening so I just withdrew at home. It's been about 3 weeks since those scary symptoms vanished. Obviously the smart and safe decision would be to get medical help and I agree that no one should risk withdrawing on their own. That being said I'm completely broke and can't afford a hospital stay, rehab, or anything like that. I'm very lucky I came out of it without serious medical issues or possibly dying and would never condone taking the very dangerous risk I took by avoiding medical help. But I really don't think I need to see my doctor because I don't need any more benzos and I don't need to ween off anymore. I would much rather deal with the slight moodiness I have now and get it over with than continue taking that poison. I wouldn't say any of this if I wasn't 100% sure I could safely do it on my own. The only reason I never got help in the seizure phase was because
I couldn't drive and had no way of getting anywhere. I could've called an ambulance but
I'm not the most
Intelligent guy so It didn't even cross
My mind. Again I understand and appreciate the mature response but I'm just trying to explain my situation

I misread your message completely my apologies I'm at work and skimmed it. You're right I will definitely do that. I just don't think my doctor is going to have the slightest clue what phenibut is and I don't want him thinking I'm a drug addict because I have never and will never go to a doctor for the sole purpose of getting drugs. And I fear the label of "addict" could effect the quality
Of healthcare I might receive in the future.