• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc risks of low dose amitriptyline

Spurs_1882

Bluelighter
I have been recommended low dose amitriptyline (10mg/day) to help with extremely severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

I was wondering if anyone more knowledgeable than me could tell me if there are any risks of permanent irreversible/semi-irreversible side effects from this low dose? I'm thinking about sexual stuff/PSSD and also emotional blunting.

I know that TCA's aren't the main suspects for these effects compared to SSRI's and SNRI's (which I wouldn't touch) but still worried and have an instinctive mistrust of AD's as a whole class of drugs.

I would greatly, greatly, appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

I've used amitriptyline for IBS in the past and ime the only side effect is drowsiness and I usually sleep 8-10 hours after taking it without waking up, which is unusual for me, sometimes I'm still drowsy the next day, but I haven't used it much. If you use it every other day the drowsiness should stop after a while.
10 mg is a pretty low dosage (normal dosage for depression is 75-150 mg a day) so there shouldn't be any major side effects.

10 milligrams is a very low dose, so you should experience only minimal side effects, if any at all. Maybe a little drowsiness.

If it were a larger dose, the side effect of emotional blunting you mentioned certainly would be a factor. This one is actually a very bad one at that.....known to actually "zombie-fy" its users (myself included- when I did).....but this won't be a concern at 10mg, so you've got nothing to worry about- you're very far off from the dosage required to reach that.

All in all, I suspect you'll be just fine.
Hope it works for you, good luck.

-PA

I've used amitriptyline for IBS in the past and ime the only side effect is drowsiness and I usually sleep 8-10 hours after taking it without waking up, which is unusual for me, sometimes I'm still drowsy the next day, but I haven't used it much. If you use it every other day the drowsiness should stop after a while.
10 mg is a pretty low dosage (normal dosage for depression is 75-150 mg a day) so there shouldn't be any major side effects.
Thank you. Did it help you with your IBS? I imagine they would want me to take it every day. Didn't consider it might be less than that.

10 milligrams is a very low dose, so you should experience only minimal side effects, if any at all. Maybe a little drowsiness.

If it were a larger dose, the side effect of emotional blunting you mentioned certainly would be a factor. This one is actually a very bad one at that.....known to actually "zombie-fy" its users (myself included- when I did).....but this won't be a concern at 10mg, so you've got nothing to worry about- you're very far off from the dosage required to reach that.

All in all, I suspect you'll be just fine.
Hope it works for you, good luck.

-PA

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Did you stop feeling zombi-fied when you stopped taking it? I notice your username, though it may not be related. I really hope you are okay now.

Thank you. Did it help you with your IBS? I imagine they would want me to take it every day. Didn't consider it might be less than that.
Yes, it helps with IBS as even 10 mg are enough to constipate (not painful constipation, just I don't have to go to the toilet as much) me for 1-2 days. I've been thinking about taking it every 3 days or so, as this should be enough to kinda normalize my bowel movements, but I go to therapy, which helps but takes a long time to really work and I don't want to become dependant on using meds to live a normal life.

Yes, it helps with IBS as even 10 mg are enough to constipate (not painful constipation, just I don't have to go to the toilet as much) me for 1-2 days. I've been thinking about taking it every 3 days or so, as this should be enough to kinda normalize my bowel movements, but I go to therapy, which helps but takes a long time to really work and I don't want to become dependant on using meds to live a normal life.

Thanks. Glad it was helpful to you.

I know what you mean about therapy. I have been going twice a week for 5 years. And I am a therapist myself! So I know how it can take a long time, but can be worthwhile too. I also agree about dependence on meds, though I have been/am dependent on meds at times, it's a good thing to aim for.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Did you stop feeling zombi-fied when you stopped taking it? I notice your username, though it may not be related. I really hope you are okay now.
Yeah, the zombification this drug caused me was indeed able to be reversed (and typically is), but it's not just so quick and simple as abstinence resulting in the immediate equally abrupt/sudden disappearance of the drug's effects as compared to ending the ingestion of it. Incredibly long half-life makes for an incredibly protracted, long, drawn out dismissal of effects following the last dose, so the de-zombification was (and generally is) a very slow process of reversal.
But, as stated, this effect will not be of concern for you at that dosage- may make ya feel a tiny bit odd though.

You start it yet?

-PA

Yeah, the zombification this drug caused me was indeed able to be reversed (and typically is), but it's not just so quick and simple as abstinence resulting in the immediate equally abrupt/sudden disappearance of the drug's effects as compared to ending the ingestion of it. Incredibly long half-life makes for an incredibly protracted, long, drawn out dismissal of effects following the last dose, so the de-zombification was (and generally is) a very slow process of reversal.
But, as stated, this effect will not be of concern for you at that dosage- may make ya feel a tiny bit odd though.

You start it yet?

-PA

Not yet. I have been faring a little better with my IBS over the weekend, and I decided I would give it one more shot without meds. But one more major flare up and I'm going to try it. I've lost too much weight from my IBS and could not go to work last week as I felt too weak and dizzy.

I'm glad you were able to recover from the amitriptyline, even though it sucks how long it took. Scary stuff.