• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Going to hospital for Opioid withdrawal help.

Raven_Marie

Greenlighter
I was just wondering what would happen if i went to the emergency room for Withdrawal,If it helps any i live in Florida. I'm honestly considering it,I dont know what else to do.At least if i Go to the hospital i wont be Alone.But if they are going to treat me badly then i may prefer being home or possibly in rehab (Which im also extremely weary of...)

What exactly are you withdrawing from? I don't know if this will be any help as I'm from the UK and I used to be ER nurse. If you had another illnes that requires you to be admitted you might get some analgesia for your withdrawal which would bearly touch the sides. If you went to the to the hospital just for presenting with opiate withdrawal they will likely send you home in an uncompassionate way. The situation would be different if you were detoxing from alcohol as you would likely ne admitted as iy could be life threatening. I do hope that you feel better and maybe the situation is different in Florida. Withdrawal sucks but you will start feeling better just try to remember that!

I'm going to be going for Oxycodone and Xanax withdrawal if i go,i'm just really unsure.. im just scared in general,ive been addicted to both since i was 12-13

I'm not coming down yet,I'm just planning for the end of my prescription in about 2 days.

Florida Hospitals

I was just wondering what would happen if i went to the emergency room for Withdrawal,If it helps any i live in Florida. I'm honestly considering it,I dont know what else to do.At least if i Go to the hospital i wont be Alone.But if they are going to treat me badly then i may prefer being home or possibly in rehab (Which im also extremely weary of...)
Do some research on the hospital. Some have programs designed to help and doctors with opioid specialties. They will admit you and give you medications to help get you through the process safely and with minimal distress, and then if you are interested, start you in a suboxone program. Xanax withrawal is brutal,, and you should be weaned off both medications. Good luck, my friend.

First of all after this opiate epidemic began doctors stopped being so mean to junkies for The most part and started helping them .

I've had some serious withdrawal sick moments where if my dope guy wasn't gonna answer I was ready to go to the ER because at the time I was detoxing opiates gabapentin and benzos and at least if I had a good amount of dope that would hold me off .

Xanax is serious and the combination of the two in double withdrawal is even more dangerous, here's a story of a guy who died in jail because they didn't give him fluids for the Xanax withdrawals
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/opioid-withdrawal-jail-deaths/

It's sad really. During double withdrawal when I don't have my Xanax or opiates together it's like a debilitating full blows throwing up shaking on the bed withdrawal that's beyond torture.

I would go to the ER and emphasize on the Xanax part more than the opiate part , but still tell them about the oxy. I once had an abcesss from shooting up and I didn't wanna tell them but once I got there I did and they were very nice they told me they deal with a ton of opiate addicts coming in and out and that it's a big problem . They told me lying is the worst thing you could do because then they don't know how to treat you.

Anyways good luck keep us posted

Go to an opiate in patient detox for a phenobarbital regimen based detox. Trust me

First of all after this opiate epidemic began doctors stopped being so mean to junkies for The most part and started helping them .

I've had some serious withdrawal sick moments where if my dope guy wasn't gonna answer I was ready to go to the ER because at the time I was detoxing opiates gabapentin and benzos and at least if I had a good amount of dope that would hold me off .

Xanax is serious and the combination of the two in double withdrawal is even more dangerous, here's a story of a guy who died in jail because they didn't give him fluids for the Xanax withdrawals
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/02/opioid-withdrawal-jail-deaths/

It's sad really. During double withdrawal when I don't have my Xanax or opiates together it's like a debilitating full blows throwing up shaking on the bed withdrawal that's beyond torture.

I would go to the ER and emphasize on the Xanax part more than the opiate part , but still tell them about the oxy. I once had an abcesss from shooting up and I didn't wanna tell them but once I got there I did and they were very nice they told me they deal with a ton of opiate addicts coming in and out and that it's a big problem . They told me lying is the worst thing you could do because then they don't know how to treat you.

Anyways good luck keep us posted
Unfortunately my addiction began all on the same day,Ive never been off of either for longer than just enough to feel slightly sick because i ruely did need them at first. However,There is no longer a medical reason behind needing them,And Ive never done any other drugs and ive never really wanted to.If i go to the hospital there will be no lying because i just want out of this,Im miserable and it has hit the point where ive lost everyone that cared about me and Ive barley even got a roof over my head,Because if i dont get clean then i really will lose everything.

It's a crapshoot. I've had compassion and I've been laughed at it just depends on the hospital doctor nurse ect. I would show up with a parent or other sympathetic figure and be exceedingly polite.

Is there a possibility of you tackling one at a time? Opiates first, then the Xanax?

I would keep the Xanax going, if possible, while quitting the Oxy? Not only will the Xanax be a comfort med during the Oxy withdrawal, but I think doing both at the same time is dangerous and will be horrendous.

Start with the Oxy. There are posts all over this forum about methods to ease the withdrawal. I used Kratom, but you may want try a different method.

Once you're off the Oxy for a month or so, start the benzo treatment.

This is where medical treatment (hospital if necessary) will be more of a factor. At the very least, talk to your doctor. Is he's been writing you scripts for Xanax, I don't think he'll give you much of a problem writing the scripts you need to taper off benzos slowly and do it the right way. The hospital may not be necessary. He may switch you to diazepam, and slowly taper down over the course of a couple months.

Unless you're intent on checking yourself into the hospital for some reason, at least consider it.

It's a crapshoot. I've had compassion and I've been laughed at it just depends on the hospital doctor nurse ect. I would show up with a parent or other sympathetic figure and be exceedingly polite.

I Have NO ONE.I Dont even have any actual friends.

^^ Good day Raven. If you goto a hospital and let them know you have a real issue, they can set you up with at a minimum of a psychological evaluation and possibly get you placed in a psych ward on at least an evaluation.

You will gain more respect and help if you go in and be completely honest, including the fact that your life fell apart.

Cut to the chase, be polite and explain your situation.

You are not the first person that has been in this issue. Tell them you need help. They will help you if you can maintain composure and except what they offer.

Just the fact that you had recent personal issues that may be exasserbating the issue, should get you in where you need to be.

Keep on point and let them know the seriousness of the issue. Doctor's I have dealt with in my past are more responsive if you get to the point. If you are deeply upset, let them know. Simply be honest. Doctor's respect people who seriously need help.

I hope the information provided yesterday or earlier helped you. Remember, stick to the facts and no unneeded dramatics.

The will call you a drug addict and treat you like dirt then charge you $2000 for some clonidine

Is there a possibility of you tackling one at a time? Opiates first, then the Xanax?

I would keep the Xanax going, if possible, while quitting the Oxy? Not only will the Xanax be a comfort med during the Oxy withdrawal, but I think doing both at the same time is dangerous and will be horrendous.

Start with the Oxy. There are posts all over this forum about methods to ease the withdrawal. I used Kratom, but you may want try a different method.

Once you're off the Oxy for a month or so, start the benzo treatment.

This is where medical treatment (hospital if necessary) will be more of a factor. At the very least, talk to your doctor. Is he's been writing you scripts for Xanax, I don't think he'll give you much of a problem writing the scripts you need to taper off benzos slowly and do it the right way. The hospital may not be necessary. He may switch you to diazepam, and slowly taper down over the course of a couple months.

Unless you're intent on checking yourself into the hospital for some reason, at least consider it.
I live alone with my rabbit in an apartment that's at most 200 square foot,The most interaction i get on an average day is from my mail man.Because the headquarters for my job is in another state,I Work online for them, I Honestly have no idea what to do at this point.IJust want to get clean and try to rekindle at least one good thing in my life.Because right now,All that ive got going for me is an appartment that is roughly the size of the average shoe box and a rabbit that would probably live perfectly fine without my assistance.

Stop writing this on every post
Don't tell me not to provide an HR comment. Down vote on you ovo.

Edit: SpeedKing and Lucid are on point at least stateside... With even public insurance it's easy to get into an in patient detox... I just did and have to continue requip for a month.... Well two more weeks maybe three as I did use a small amount of poppy seed at night until I was able to get tylonal... I am not trying to share my experience for my benefit. I think you will be amazed at how well that method works. Besides waking up in pain not having the tylonal triggering minor use I don't care to use at all.

Also ovo you are acting my neighbor who shoots his dilaudid, takes heavy methadone, and uses benzos while drinking when he's out... At least that's if he isn't still continuing his new found sobriety months ago. Still uses k-pins though... Anyways he tried to accuse me of "being off a shot of dope," which I straightforward told him what's up yet still he acted better than me when I know he is attacking me to try to make me look as bad as him so he can feel better about himself.... Check yourself ovo

Last edited:
Many years ago when I didn't realise that downing 1G of Codeine + 16G of Ibuprofen (good old Nurofen Plus) was an addiction/problem I went into hospital when WDing from it. Mainly due to the WD symptoms of insane stomach cramps and bit of blood in the vomit (from a bleeding ulcer).
They treated me compassionately and with respect in the A&E (I'm in the UK) and seemed to understand what was going on.
They gave me Morphine for the pain and sent me up to the gastro ward to investigate the blood/ulcer.

Up there it was a completely different story. Mostly due to ignorance. The nurses didn't really know much about Codeine and didn't even know you could buy an (admittedly weak) opiate OTC.
The doctors knew about it more and had heard of people getting addicted to it but had never seen a patient with it themselves.
But they did say "this could be why we're seeing people with really bad ulcers and signs of coeliac disease but all the tests come back negative and they have no other symptoms or medical history to suggest a cause of it" so I do think it's a bigger problem that goes hidden in many ways.

Fast forward through that they were judgmental and treated me like a stereotypical addict in the gastro ward.
Got accused of wasting NHS time and money (I was 21 at the time so this just made me more closed to them) and scoffed at me when I asked "if I have a problem with addiction is there anything we can do to help me treat the underlying addiction?".

But back on the way out I popped into the hospital pharmacy to collect my precious N+. The doctor that treated me in A&E saw me and asked me to go with him instead of putting that junk inside me. He took me to a room and explained all about addiction and what he sees with it and how it's affected his life personally. Gave me info leaflets and advice on looking into NA and wrote a referral letter to my GP to advise them of what's been happening.

He then did 2 things which *almost* got me clean for good. He wrote out a script for a huge dose of Dihydrocodeine and wrote out on a little chart how many I should take and when. At first it matched my current dose (a bit under 1g a day in one go) and went down from there. I realise now he actually wrote me a tapering scheme! He said it would mean I wasn't killing myself with ibuprofen and allow the stomach to heal. All in all it was about 1 months worth of tapering down and he also gave me 52 x 300 Pregabalin/Lyrica tablets as well. He said to take one of those twice a day once I made the final jump off the Dihydrocodeine.
This actually worked. Getting in touch with the GP referral he made gave me support + the codeine tablets and the Lyrica to starve off any WDs actually got me clean for 6 months.
I was clean so didn't feel the need to continue with therapy anymore and it wasn't long after that I went back out there.

So yeah, 6 months of my life of normal was thanks to going into A&E due to the symptoms of WD. I will ever be thankful to the doctors and nurses in Southampton General A&E a bunch of smart people.
Nowadays I have my addiction listed on my iphone healthID with the link to the comparison charts (that say 1g of Codeine is ~150mg of morphine dose) as most medical staff can relate to that (namely...wow that's a lot in one go we normally start with 10mg 20 max!) and that's always worked when I've gone in unconscious or when talking to them educating them on my issues :)

So go in. Be honest. Be polite and ask for compassion and you may just receive it. It doesn't hurt to try!

Although; why weary about rehab? They've helped many of us on here and will definitely know more about you and your situation and should provide more help with the WDs with the aim of keeping you clean long term rather than just getting through the WDs than an Emergency room visit ever will.