• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Matrine megathread

kleinerkiffer

Bluelight Crew
From Wikipedia:
Matrine is an alkaloid found in plants from the Sophora genus. It has a variety of pharmacological effects, including anti-cancer effects,as well as κ-opioid and μ-opioid receptor agonism.

Matrine possesses strong antitumor activities in vitro and in vivo. Inhibition of cell proliferation and induction of apoptosis are the likely mechanisms responsible for matrine's antitumor activities. Matrine is a component of the traditional Chinese medical herb Sophora flavescens Ait.

Mu opioid agonism is associated with euphoria, while kappa opioid agonism is associated with dysphoria and psychotomimetic hallucinations (as seen in the kappa-agonist Salvinorin A). Both receptors are known to produce analgesia when activated.

Matrine and the related compound oxymatrine have an antifeedant effect against formosan subterranean termite. Additionally, it acts as a nematicide against the pine wood nematode which causes pine wilt, as well as pathogenic nematodes which target humans.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/index.php/t-374202.html

A couple of dumb questions... I'm getting more and more fascinated behind the chemistry side of things...

are "u-opioid" and "mu-opioid" receptors the same thing? These agonists include our standard narcotics such as heroin, morphine, oxy, etc... correct?

Kappa-opioid I'm not that familiar with, but while I can see hallucinations being a desirable effect, why would anyone chase after "dysphoria"??

U/mu are more related to morphine and nodding narcotic pain relief. Kappa creates side effects, but I hypothesis counters the narcotic (sleep inducing) effect although does not cancel it out. Kappa is more related to hydrocodone and oxycodone, but not codeine

I think tacodude does a good job explaining it. I i believe u and mu are the same receptor

Is salvinorin A salvia? Would a kappa agonist like that do anything for heroin/morphine withdrawal? I know you wouldn't get high, but would it calm some symptoms?

μ=u=mu so yes, it's the same receptor
And yes, salvinorin A is the active ingredient in Salvia divinorum