Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Positions Available for New DanceWize Group in Sydney

Ekstasis-//7

Bluelighter
Hi all,
So I have heard that there is going to be a new Sydney based DanceWize (harm reduction group) that will attend dance music festivals. From what I've heard they will be hiring a paid full time co-ordinator and also hiring a team of volunteers. I don't know if there will be any other paid jobs available for example for things like setting up a new website, graphic design of logos ect, but it might be worth asking if that's your speciallity. This is the only post I have found at the moment: http://www.ethicaljobs.com.au/Members/NUAA/dancewize-coordinator Sorry it's a bit old! I'd reccomend just calling them and having a chat if you are interested in any paid or volunteer positions that might be available. I believe their website is: https://nuaa.org.au/ and their phone number should be: (02) 8354 7300.

So I am making this post becuase I am a huge fan of the work of Dancewize (Melbourne) and the amazing level of knowledge and experience their team members show at dance music festivals. I thought it would be great if a bunch of bluelighters might be interested in joining the new Sydney group that is starting since many people on bluelight have a high level of harm reduction knowledge when it comes to substances used at dance music events. That could go a long way with a brand new harm reduction team.

I would guess that the new DanceWize Sydney would hope to function similar way to the DanceWize group in Melbourne that was previously known as Ravesafe and started back in 1995. For those of you who are unfamiliar, DanceWize in Melbourne attends many dance music festivals each year and provides a range of services. Some services include substance specific information as well a chill out or safe space with bean bags to where party goers can be looked after who maybe having a difficult experience and feel the need to chat to someone, sleep it off of just rest in safe enviroment with people who are non-judgmental towards their alcohol or other drug use. The volunteers generally have a keen interest in the community of the dance music scene as well as a strong level of understanding regarding information relating to alcohol and the other broad range of substances often consumed by people attending these events. They have worked alongside the emergency medical teams at festivals for years to provide a service that is often outside of the what they can offer. For example if a party goer is under the influence of LSD or methamphetamine and having a difficult experience or highly anxious they might need somewhere safe and calm with someone they can talk to for the next 6-12 hrs before they feel okay and can take care of themself again. In this example this frees up the resources of the emergency medical team and can save some party goers a visit to the hospital which may be traumatic in and of itself.

Anyway just thought I'd post this as I'm not from NUAA or DanceWize Sydney but am really excited to hear this harm reduction group is going to start in Sydney and thought some of you might be interested and could well be invaluable resources to the new team.

Regards,
Ekstasis-//7