• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Talking about drugs too much with strangers

LucidSDreamr

Bluelighter
Whenever I drink I tend to bring up drugs way too much when speaking with people ...even strangers.

For a drug enthusiast like me, it's very normalized to talk drugs and with certain friends it is normal too. However I have opened my mouth to the wrong people in public on more than one occasion and made some ppl dislike me or regretted it after.

I guess starting this thread was done with the goal of talking about this problem so that I can try to be more aware that I do it and prevent it in the future.

Anyone have any experiences to share ?

When I started my drug adventures at 16 I used to incorporate drugs into too many discussions. I got a little flack for it when I was in high school and that really made me realize I should keep that specific interest to myself.

Now I avoid drug discussions unless it happens to come up and it's with someone else who has experience with the same drugs. I never mention it to people I'm meeting for the first time, unless they bust out some drugs. Then it's open season.

When the average joe is saying something completely false about drugs I might interject just to try to set them straight.

Hey there! I can completely relate! I used to discuss it a lot. I found that drugs were not really my issue. My problem was I got too comfortable around the wrong people too quickly. One thing you can try, is actually one of the laws of power. If you create distance, it demands respect. I started incorporating this into my life, by not sharing too much with people, even when I got the urge and excitement to do so. I kept it within a small circle of friends who I knew for years, and respected. It can be easy when you are excited about sharing something to let the wrong people in on it. Keep your head up, we all make those mistakes.

I can definitely relate. I love drugs and find them fascinating which makes me really want to talk about them (pretty much why I joined this forum). I honestly feel that pretty much all I can talk about is drugs because they're what I know and actually care about. I became friends with several people just by discussing drugs with them that's even how me and my best friend got to know each other. I haven't ever started a conversation with a stranger about drugs while drunk, well at least not that I can remember haha. I usually wait until I can tell for sure they're drug users or let them bring it up, this is very annoying and probably why I have such a hard time finding dealers, I try to stay very cautious about it.

Does anyone else feel like this has kinda taken their identity and personality over almost completely (I don't mean because you're an addict I mean because you don't really know what else to talk about)? I've tried to change but I guess it's too late. Any advice?

Back to something more related to the topic. I do often find myself talking about drugs to people which I realize aren't appropriate. Mainly my parents, they caught me quite a few times when I was younger and stupid. I mean I obviously don't let them know it's still going on, as far as they know I'm 100% clean and just use my meds exactly as prescribed. It's just like jokes and trying to change the ignorant veiws the government and media taught them to believe, but it's pretty much a waste of time, it took me forever to get them to realize medical marijuana was a good thing. It's not really an appropriate topic to discuss with your parents in the first place but they don't even drink so I mean it adds to how inappropriate it is.

I used to have very similar problems, here's what happened that sort of fixed it. spring 2012, at a party, start talking with guy about dmt, mention how much i like it blah blah. i guess i felt like impressing him or something so i was like "do you want some i have some i extracted" which was true it was maybe 60-70mg of impure crystals. my last dose in a tiny jar. long story short, about a month later i began to regret the action and since then don't have as much of a problem opening my mouth. so yeah, just make a mistake big enough and the issue will right itself :\

^ the problem is the issue could land you in jail or somehow get to your employer.

rather not have that happen. Like its really bad for me. I was rolling face and drunk one time and some kid at a show was having some sort of psychotic break and I started telling the cops to give him benzos while I had drugs on me (like cops carry around benzos or something) I"m lucky I didn't get arrested.

Other instances of bringing up hard drugs after talking to people that smoked weed only, then they awkwardly shun me after that.

SORRY TOTALLY UNRELATED but I can't figure out how to post a fuckin thread on this site. If any one could help me that'd be great. And in case anyone here has the answer I'm looking for, here's my question. *Copynpasted* "I am on a excessive coke binge tonight and I'm playing Minecraft pocket addition but I CANNOT figure out how to destroy a MINECART. It's stuck and it's the only one I have left and I don't have anymore iron. I could go get more iron but I've built and intimated realationship with this cart and I want it to be the only one I ride. So if BY ANY CHANCE there's a Minecraft nerd that reads this and has my answer, I'll be eternally grateful. And if you live close to me, we will meet up and party all fuckin night. Thank you for your time.

And now that I read this thread I wanna get involved. I work at a liquor store and drink on the job on a regular basis. I always have a problem of "opening up" way too much when I've had too many drinks. I think the best way to combat this is to try your best to remember to think about everything you say. Depending on how drunk you are, it could turn into a fun game. "How many people can I talk to without telling them all of my life enhancer hobbies." Having willpower is easy. Having willpower when inehibriated is a learned skill. Just takes time and experience.

Crazy how I randomly choose a thread to post a question and it ends up being insanely relatable. Either I got lucky or my habits have gotten so bad that any drug thread I choose is relatable. I prefer the former. Expect the latter though.

I use to do this quite a bit a few times detrimental to my living arrangements as I got booted out by my hostel cause some bullshit twat rated on me but it was a load of lies that were told but anyway that was that time another time talking to these german chicks and started going on about acid, meth and xanax and realised a bit too late that they kinda shunned me the day later, wonder why. A mate use to say to me to stop being so open and honest about my way of life. I really try and practice silence on he subject now and try to stay clear of this talk cause I need my job right now and I'm trying in the hope of getting 35-40 hours a week.

I've gotten better at avoiding doing this these days, by a long shot, compared to a couple years back. It would really hurt when people would call me out on it and Id realize how empty my life had become. Plus I have an endless fascination with pharmacology and pharmacokinetics, as well as novelty entheogens and nootropics. I know to limit myself for the most part way more now.

Therapeutic and nootropic qualities of certain chemicals fascinate me (i.e. Ibogaine, Ayahuasca/DMT, Tianeptine, 2C-D, Methoxetamine, Ketamine, MDMA/MDEA/MDA, LSA- more shamanic than LSD, Modafinil/R-modafinil, 5-MeO-DMT, Psilocybin (as well as psilocin, baeocystin), MDAI, Etizolam, GHB, Mescaline, Cannabis, Mitragynine and alkaloids- opioidergic, sertogenic, stimulatory, and mild AD psychedelia via 5-ht modulation ect)

Haha, I used to do this a lot. (And I actually used to carry around benzos every party in case I did too many uppers, or anyone else... Lol).

Now, the last time I felt comfortable talking about it was in rehab with all the other druggies. (Even there opiates was pretty 'rare' compared to other drugs :|) Lol. I try to avoid the subject these days unless I know the other person uses too. Heh.

Don't worry - I was like that when I was younger too - but eventually it will become the most boring thing imaginable; you've heard every story before, you'll eventually get well-sick of talking about drugs. So - I guess, give it time.

I don't do it in any normal social circle. I meant the last ppl I openly spoke to about drugs were the fellow addicts there. My first time in rehab I kept quiet about like 40% of the shit I did (IV use for one) in group, but the 2nd time I thought fuck it? Why else am I here? And there were a few ppl there who were there my first stay as well, they were a lil shocked.. Oh well.. (It kinda sucked cuz I was the only one but hell... Whatever).

Mind you, I don't talk to the pozers who dicksize, or the idiots who have been told all kinds of bs about drugs, and state it as facts when they re-tell it. Always avoided them during my free time. I prefer the people who don't act like it's 'cool' to know the most about drugs of everyone there, especially when what they 'know' is all just bullshit. I guess I mostly hang with the people who don't talk about drugs too much outside of group therapy, and don't bullshit when they do. Because of my rather freakishly large interest in drug-related stuff.. What I considered basic knowledge was apparantly quite advanced for most.. Everyone from my grp took to caliing me the pharmacist both times I was there just cuz when I was forced to speak in group; and I spoke about neurotransmitters and the synaps etc. No one knew wtf I meant, so yeah I just sat through the sessions quietly while we had a 2 hour convo with a psychologist explaining 'dopamine', 'serotonin' and 'norepinephrine/noradrenaline'.

It was kinda funny I guess. Everytime 2 ppl were having a dispute about some drug related shit, they ended up asking me who was full of it.

Also, (after their first few days) alcoholics in rehab are usually ok to hang with, lol, they don't pretend to know stuff about drugs and are pretty cool (most of 'em and don't look down on other drug-users). Pretty cool after they've quit drinking for a while anyway. =D

Outside of rehab, only with online friends and like 2 irl acquintances. I only like to talk to ppl who know as much or more than me about drugs. And really, BL in standards, I just scratch the surface I reckon. The ppl in that rehab were just very dumb.

...IV use... I was the only one

Wow - in rehab?! I find that incredible! Unless talking about some private, fancy rehab that rich parents send their kids to after busting them with a bong in their room lol - I believe in Melbourne, Australia, where I live (there was a severe heroin epidemic in the 90s and there's been a huge 'scene' since) - I think it would be almost impossible to land in a rehab, especially a state-ran job, and not have AT LEAST 25% (most likely well over) be IV users.

Because of my rather freakishly large interest in drug-related stuff.. What I considered basic knowledge was apparantly quite advanced for most.. Everyone from my grp took to caliing me the pharmacist both times I was there just cuz when I was forced to speak in group; and I spoke about neurotransmitters and the synaps etc. No one knew wtf I meant, so yeah I just sat through the sessions quietly while we had a 2 hour convo with a psychologist explaining 'dopamine', 'serotonin' and 'norepinephrine/noradrenaline'.

This is actually my 2nd Bluelight account; the first been from around when I started using drugs (99-2000). I remember it being quite common on here to see threads where the general conclusion was that what you described here was a fairly common situation for BLers.

I'm guessing it's still likely to be the case, but back then - when less people were online and even less were using forums like this, though BL *was* bigger then, I think the Venn-Diagram of Nerds, Drug Users and Internet Forum addicts basically saw a huge melting pot of people hitting all three circles here on BL. So it became a fairly common 'trope' here that BLers were basically the "drug nerds" or "drug gurus" or whatever, of their given social circles.

And yeah - I would imagine that's still relatively true!

Yeahh.. It wasn't a very special rehab or anything. Not rich folks. I just see IV users far far less here in BE than I imagine there to be in America. I imagine there to be like whole neighborhoods where basically everyone shoots up? Or is that a really wrong image of me? Anyway here there's this 1 needle exchange that dispenses methadone too. There you see a lot of needle users (obv) but I prefer going to my psychiatrist for a weeks supply instead of going everyday with public transportation, which is a real bitch.

And yeah during both rehab stays only met 2 ppl who'd IV'd. But never in my group. (both on first time, I stayed a year then.. Only 2 people, one of whom had quit IV years and years ago, the other not so much).

I can relate. When I was using, it was hard to socialize with non users as it was hard to me not to refer to drugs at some point. I remember my sister telling me that she was ill af and she had diarhea, and I stugled not to tell her that heroin would do the trick.

As in general with sensible topics, starting with questions is the best. Just ask people first about their experiences. Let them start and go further bit by bit. May sound stupid, but it will work, if you ask somebody directly, what she/he thinks about drugs.
Its like talking about politics. Best not to start with your political point of view. Just ask what the person thinks about politics in general. If she/he dont cares, no reason to go beyond. If she/he starts to explain her/his point of view go further with questions. Until you come to a point, where is a conses, then you can start with your point of view.
Worst thing that can happen with this tactic, is that the other will ask back, why do you ask. Then you can say, because you saw, read or heard something lately and switch conversation immediately.