• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Using lower concentration ethanol for a etizolam solution

usuallyalurker

Greenlighter
Hello,

If I wanted to make a solution with 250 mg etizolam powder, will 500 mL of 40% (ABV) ethanol work? I know this question has been asked before in some form, but I wanted the latest opinions, experience, and knowledge specific to 40% ABV.

I live in California and would not want any online purchases. I cannot really find ethanol above 40%. I cannot get 151 or everclear (quite sure it's not legal in CA). If there ever is another time this situation happens, I will buy bulk PG. I hear PG is much easier to work with. In this case, there are some constraints that are forcing me to use local items.

This solution would obviously create a 0.5 mg/1 mL concentration (1 mg/2 mL). Has anyone used lower concentration ethanol for Etiz? Should I go to 1 mg/3 mL? My logic is if 151/everclear works so well, then shouldn't double the volume of 40% ethanol (or maybe triple) contain the same amount or more ethanol? I know it is essentially not soluble in water but does water actually lower its solubility in other solvents? Should I heat it longer and does everyone recommend just a hot (running) water bath or heated near boiling water replaced every few minutes?

I am not asking where to buy any solvents, but I know there are some other locally available solvents. I read in a thread (in another forum I think) that there was another solvent that is a laxative ("PEG"?). Does anyone know if this is sold in California? If someone were to make a solution with PEG, what is the ratio of PEG needed for etiz? If everyone agrees that 40% ethanol is a poor idea, would 90% ISO work in a 1:1 ratio (1 mg/1 mL) or even better a 2:1 ratio (2 mg/1 mL)? Would that be high enough concentration to put half a mL of ISO on something a let it evaporate??

Thanks everyone for your guidance- I tried to follow the rules as best as I could. Please let me know if I need to change anything.

EDIT:
Well, since I was constrained for time, I had to for ahead with the experiment. The solution consisted of 500 mL of 40% ABV ethanol with 250 mg Etizolam in powder form. I used water that was near boiling and made a water bath with that. The etiz powder was 280 mg actually, so I used about 15 mL extra ethanol to account for it (as some powder would be lost in changing containers and the original bag). I stirred for about 15 minutes- the water bath stayed hot enough to nearly cause a minor burn if my finger were in it for more than a few seconds I imagine. Honestly, after 5 minutes, it looked pretty good. In the end, it was just a hair above 500 mL...maybe 505 mL so I added 10 more mL and mixed well. It has been in solution form for 5 hours or so and it is fine. Shaking it vigorously and holding it to strong light does show a very minor amount of either particles or air bubbles- but nothing significant. The solution is clear. I would guess that a second or two of shaking or shaking vigorously would not affect the amount of etizolam you got with a syringe or dropper (Of course, I surely only guess at this...).

It looks like water does not really decrease the solubility of ethanol concerning etizolam. I will update at the 24 hour mark to let everyone know if the solution is still kosher.

Last edited:
I think you'll get more advanced answers over at Neuroscience and Phaarmacology discussion, so I'll move the thread there