• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

When Does Lorazepam Withdrawal Set In?

V82

Bluelighter
I took 1.5 mg of lorazepam to sleep off and on for a while now. I was just wondering when withdrawal symptoms would start if they do.

What is the longest withdrawal symptoms would take to begin?

I know the half life is 15 hours so it can't be longer than a day and a half or so.

Sometimes I can take it for a few days in a row or take a break for a week. But last two weeks I've been taking it 2 out of 3 days I would say.

I'm freaking out a bit about withdrawal.

Any help to let me know when I am clear from withdrawal symptoms would be helpful.

how long exactly have you been using lorazepam for sleep? is it every night? you need to be taking it every day, back to back for about a month to become physically addicted (well, that's how long it took me with etizolam) have you ever been dependent on benzos before?

if yuou start shaking uncontrollably call an ambulance - its possible to have seizures during benzo withdrawals

I take 1.5 mg

It's hard to say my use has been erratic. But I have been taking it off and on for nearly 2 years. I sometimes take 2 weeks off and usually do not take it more than 3 nights in a row.

Lately though I've been taking it a lot more often in the last 2 weeks; like 2 of every 3 days including the last 4 nights and I am freaking out now that withdrawal symptoms are around the corner. I want my girlfriend to monitor me but she has to go to work.

How long until I'm in the clear from withdrawal.

okay, you use is indeed erratic, which works in your favor. its totally possible that you just avoided physical addiction - but mental addiction to benzos is almost as hard (but not nearly as dangerous).
the last time i cold-turkey-ed (which is incredibly dangerous and must be avoided at all time) it took me 5 days all in all

have you considered a medically supervised taper? ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

Last edited:
I don't think I can do that I don't have many left. It's been 8 hours since my last dosage. When will I know I am in the clear?

that wouldn't matter; in a medically supervised taper you would be given benzos, no take homes, and gradually reduced. what country are you in? the NHS does it here in the UK, and i understand not everyone is as lucky as i am.
as for being 'in the clear', it could take a bit longer til symptoms start to show (if they do at all)
i always found they came on at night around bedtime, and considerng you take them for sleep - you'll know if you manage to get your head down tonight, basically

Damn thanks for the advice. I am in the Canada so we have public health care too.

I guess I will try to make it through the night. If I am ok in the morning I am going to thank my lucky ass and be way more careful in the future.

つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つ'with a little beetaluck, we can make it tru dee night'

no worries man, happy to help. fingers crossed you don't need the taper but at least now you know you'll be okay if the worst happens

Last edited:
Hey OP, I'm really sorry to hear you're in such a state of apprehension regarding your withdrawal from Benzodiazepines. Withdrawal is the scariest thing I've experienced in my life and there are a lot of horror stories out there regarding Benzodiazepine dependence and withdrawal, but your withdrawal should not be severe based upon your usual dosage. 1.5mg Lorazepam is not a large dosage. I would expect that you will experience some issues in going to sleep, but I experience the same thing when I run out of Cannabis. I feel it's more tied to the ritual of "Okay, time for sleep, this is how we start it" as opposed to actual withdrawal effects from the drug.

I'm no Doctor, but I can almost guarantee that you will not experience significant withdrawal symptoms. You have nothing to be legitimately afraid of and I hope you find that comforting. I've spoken with folks who use 20x-30x your nightly dosage on a daily basis and when they withdraw, it is indeed a hellish experience. You should not experience anything beyong some transient discomfort. I would reccomend maybe acquiring a light sleep aid like Melatonin in an attempt to recreate the aforementioned ritual of taking a pill to go to sleep.

As a side note, in terms of OTC sleep aids, you should avoid sedating antihistamines when enduring Benzodiazepine withdrawal as they tend to exacerbate certain symptoms like restless legs/akathisia and so on.

That's a relief. Hopefully I can get through this relatively okay. I just read horror stories online and it makes my normal anxiety and paranoia go through the roof. I've never been through withdrawal before.

I have some melatonin on hand so that will work.

I guess it's just a matter of time to see what will happen. At least lorazpeam has a shorter half life than some benzos so it shouldn't take too long.

That's a relief. Hopefully I can get through this relatively okay. I just read horror stories online and it makes my normal anxiety and paranoia go through the roof.

best avoid those mate
and don't worry, like kief said, you shouldn;t experience much (if any) wd.
つ ಥ_ಥ ༽つ have ahug

It's been 27 hours since my last dose and I feel okay I guess. Slept rough and had to urinate frequently at night. But other than that I'm okay.

Thanks for the support everyone. Hopefully I can make it through this.