View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

pre-medication for psychedelics - avoiding adverse effects

docaso

Greenlighter
Hi everyone. First post, long time lurker.
After some time spent scowering different fora on my questions, I could not find many similar discussions, and therefore wanted your take on it.

I find psychedelics very interesting, both for their pure recreational value, and for the introspection and insights they can help provide. However, I find it problematic that they also may induce bad trips, particularily at higher dosages, and for some people with particular personality traits. And rarily, some bad trips seemingly happen to experienced users on regular dosasges without previous mental illness or disposed personality traits. In other words, bad trips although rare, can happen to almost anyone, even though some precautions can be made. Some bad trips may also lead to serious negative long term consequences, purely through being a traumatic experience. Even though many claim, maybe rightfully, that bad trips also offer positive long term effects through dealing with difficult emotions/experiences, I suspect the net effect of bad trips are negative and should be avoided at all cost.

I also suspect that anxiety is one of the strongest precipitating emotions leading to what can be a downward spiral and finally a "bad trip". So I propose that if anxiety could be avoided, perhaps the incidence of bad trips also could be drastically reduced.

A very effective way of reducing anxiety is using benzodiazepines, commonly used medically and recreationally. Some benzodiazepines are even primarily anxiolytic, providing minimal sedation in lower dosages (f.i. clonazepam/klonopin). Benzodiazepines are often used during bad trips supposedly with varying, but often good effect, to return to a positive state of mind or "abort" the trip entirely. I have seen some conflicting reports, but for the most part, the lower dosages at least seemingly only reduced anxiety while psychedelic effects persist.

Given that these assumptions are correct, i would like to discuss the proposition that a very low dose benzodiazepine (0,25 mg clonazepam or say 5 mg diazepam or maybe even less), given just before or at the same time as a psychedelic (f.i. 150 ug LSD) to drastically reduce the risk of a bad trips without affecting the recreational or introspective quality of the experience. I have read in previous discussions that some believe this will negate the spiritual/philosophical/insightful aspects of the experience, while others have said it does not.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

I remember a song from childhood.
well only the first few words: "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf, the big bad wolf, the big bad wolf...." you tube link but google helps with that.

everything about psychedelics is like being a child again, just waking from a dream, and layered interactions of what you just experienced a few moments ago.

There is only so much control that we as children have, but dreams and psychedelics are magic.

to taste the magic you go with it,
to taste less take less,

I think it is a waste to preload with anxiolytics and then use more substance than necessary, instead use less and have more experiences in the future with what you save.

the only benefit of taking too much is to boast how much you took - which is totally anti-beneficial

I agree with pupnik.

Although im all for lowering side effects, they are part of the trip, as well as life. I do yoga asanas and simple breathwork on the comeup. One breath at a time, you know ?

If you were going that route you would want to take the benzo a good hour or more before to have you in a relaxed state. Personally speaking I think it would be better to have a lower dose if you think higher doses will cause you problems rather than taking a benzo.

When I was starting out the whole RC thing I was taking 100mcg maybe 200mcg at a push of Lysergamides and there was a certain unease coming with it especially as I thought taking 200mcg was a heavy trip. I finally found a much better spot at 300mcgs with no anxiety after reading someone on here experiencing issues with lower doses and feeling better at higher ones. I put it down to my mind set - I was taking 'risky' doses so naturally I'd be anxious, realising even higher doses weren't that crazy I relaxed my thinking and now enjoy tripping more... just a thought.

Oh yeah some of my bad trips on reflection were good trips - I learned lots and my life got better, mind you none involved any physical harm or run ins with the law or health services.

Thank you for your input. It seems your experience is in line with most of what I have read before. However, i must clarify that i did not suggest taking benzodiazepines in order to ingest higher psychedelic dosages without bad trips. But rather reducing the risk of bad trips in normal dosage ranges, by taking very low dosages of benzodiazepines to relieve and prevent anxiety without otherwise disturbing the experience by sedation and other unwanted side effects. Do anyone have any experience with something like this?

Thank you for your input. It seems your experience is in line with most of what I have read before. However, i must clarify that i did not suggest taking benzodiazepines in order to ingest higher psychedelic dosages without bad trips. But rather reducing the risk of bad trips in normal dosage ranges, by taking very low dosages of benzodiazepines to relieve and prevent anxiety without otherwise disturbing the experience by sedation and other unwanted side effects. Do anyone have any experience with something like this?

Closest I come is using Kratom, (for pain) about 3/4 hrs prior to tripping, although I'd imagine that would impinge on the trip. Maybe some fasting and meditation to help you into a better head-space might be more productive?

Thanks again. To clarify further, it is not due to a previous personal bad trip or fear of one, i am suggesting this combination. It is more in line of risk reduction and curiosity. As opposed to many, I am not convinced LSD and other psychedelics are magical substances not to be manipulated. More likely, they just happen to bind to certainly similar protein conformations and produce an intoxicating response. It is not impossible, maybe even probable, that a cocktail could provide a better experience than a single drug alone. And many psychedelics not only have certain risks as discussed above, but several negative or unwanted effects which maybe could be reduced. Phenomenons like thought loops, panic, body loads and cramps are unwanted effects. At least some of these could be reduced through certain combinations. I am not advocating benzodiazepines for people with previous mental illness, bad trip or anxiety to be able to ingest psychedelics. I am rather suggesting a combination of a psychedelic with an extremely low dose to maybe provide a more pleasurable lower risk psychedelic experience.

The best antidote of anxiety is first, make sure it's a dose you can handle and second, trust in the mushroom or the acid to take care of you. Go to it humbly and say "I need some kindness". That's always worked for me like a charm.

If the side effects you worry about anxiety-related, I really recommend allowing it to happen and working through it. Go into it with good intentions, breathe. Make sure your setting is very comfortable. Allow the anxiety to happen and wash over you. Figure out why you're anxious. I used to get really anxious on most trips, usually centered around the come-up. Over time I learned how to feel more comfortable with myself, and I learned a lot which I could apply to my daily life without psychedelics, and now I very rarely experience anxiety on psychedelics.

If the side effect is nausea, that's more a physiological thing. Ondansetron is an anti-nausea medication that is a 5-HT3 antagonist. It binds to gut 5-HT3 receptors which are largely responsible for psychedelic nausea. I haven't tried it but I've heard it works wonders. Also ginger can help with nausea, as well as a very LIGHT meal or snack beforehand (but not much), vs an empty stomach.

If the side effect is vasoconstriction, preloading an hour or so beforehand with L-arginine (an amino acid) can really help with that.

Hey Ismene, long time no see. :)