Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(4-HO-MPT / 26 mg) - First time - Psychedelic anaesthesia

TheAppleCore

Bluelighter
Previous psychedelic drugs taken include 2C-E, 2C-C, 25I & 25C-NBOMe, LSD & prodrugs, DMT, DPT, DiPT, 4-AcO-DMT, 4-HO-MET, 4-AcO-DET, 4-HO-MiPT, 4-HO-EPT, and 4-AcO-DPT. My most recent trip was four weeks prior.

~~~

For my first trial with 4-HO-MPT, I attempted to replicate the conditions of my previous trip on 4-AcO-DET as closely as possible, for two reasons. Firstly, that trip was a beautiful success. But I also wanted to make a controlled comparison between the two molecules, as 4-HO-MPT and 4-HO-DET are closely related, being roughly equipotent positional isomers. Well, let me start by saying that I was shocked by just how much can change with a simple rearrangement of the nitrogen tail.

In the spirit of science, I measured out 26 mg 4-HO-MPT fumarate, the molar equivalent of 30 mg 4-AcO-DET fumarate, the dosage of my last trip. The physical characteristics of my sample were somewhat unusual: it was dense, clumpy, and difficult to get into solution. Eventually I got it to dissolve in a glass of orange juice, dosed at about 9:00 P.M., and headed outside for a nighttime stroll through my neighborhood. The first definite effect occurred at only T+0:10. I'm going to borrow a sentence from Hamhurricane's report on base MPT from 2011 here:

Outright visual distortions were rare and were mostly notional in nature e.g. things would look exactly the same as if I was sober yet they would appear utterly ridiculous.

As the drug kicked in, the scenery of my environment, without morphing in any obvious way, nonetheless became a sort of cartoony caricature of itself. Additionally, everything was rendered in richly saturated technicolor. Believe it or not, 4-HO-MPT's visual effects resembled methoxetamine more than any psychedelic I've taken. This outrageous Looney Tunes visual style was in stark contrast to 4-AcO-DET, which created more of a dignified, 19th century impressionism with a sepia color palette.

Like with many psychedelics, my social inhibitions were lowered. I walked past a group of kids hanging out and smoking weed by the side of the road, and instead of ignoring them like I usually would, I made eye contact, waved and said hello, and we had a little friendly exchange. It was heartwarming to have some small kinship with these complete strangers, with whom I probably had very little in common. I had a fleeting vision in which I saw humanity as one continuous ocean, and death as waves lapping over the shore.

T+0:40 -- I get back home, and play the piano for about twenty minutes, jamming in a spontaneous stream-of-consciousness flow. I played with spacey, trippy, almost tongue-in-cheek chords: a fitting soundtrack to the living animation that I had entered.

T+1:00 -- I'm now peaking, and I head into my bedroom. When I check the time, I'm startled that only an hour has passed. By this point, the full character of the drug is apparent. My mood was simply cheerful and lucid; for contrast, I find that 4-AcO-DMT presents some combination of awe, terror, and rapture; 4-AcO-DET creates a dreamlike, distant apathy. Beside the cartoon effect, open-eye visuals were minimal, consisting of only some minor pareidolia, and I didn't notice anything in the way of closed-eye visuals or auditory hallucinations.

However, by far the most bizarre and memorable aspect of the entire trip was the bodily sensation -- or lack thereof, I should say. From head to toe, simply put, I was numb. When I closed my lips, or touched my tongue against my palate, I felt like I'd just gotten a shot of novocaine at the dentist. If I crossed my legs, I couldn't feel them pressed up against one another. My whole body felt like it was made of clay, which was especially true if I tried to get up and walk around, as movement was somewhat stiff and effortful. While I enjoyed the music I was listening to (Savant - Vario), my hearing was slightly muffled, as if there were cotton balls stuffed in my ears -- I recall something similar happening on 1P-LSD.

T+1:05 -- I take my blood pressure, which reads 138/78 (typically I'm around 110/70). Significantly elevated, but nothing terribly alarming. My pulse had risen from its usual ~80 to 88.

I continue to enjoy the music, while deeply contemplating the nature of the drug, and my relationship with psychedelics in general.

T+1:50 -- I notice that the effect is now slightly diminished. It very smoothly and gradually wanes over the next few hours.

T+6:00 -- As I'm lying in bed to fall asleep, I'm pleasantly surprised by some nice closed-eye visuals: colorful, three-dimensional, abstract geometry. Apparently the hypnagogic state helped to kick in the visual aspect of 4-HO-MPT for me, despite having come down for the most part.

T+~12:00 -- I wake up having slept reasonably well, however I have a sore neck, apparently from sleeping in a poor posture. My body still feels partially numb in the morning. It could be a coincidence, but I can't help but wonder if the analgesic aspect of the drug blunted the physical sensations that would have otherwise signaled me to properly adjust my bodily position during the night. No other negative after-effects persist into the following day.

Summary

In retrospect, after now trying every combination of methyl, ethyl, and propyl 4-substituted tryptamines, I'm led to conclude that extending the alkyl chains on the nitrogen tail seems to have a largely subtractive effect, with the dimethyl substitution having more or less the full spectrum of activity, and bulkier molecules being more selective in various ways. However, I should stress that this is not to say that psilocin is the superior drug, because sometimes these subtractions are very useful. For example, the subdued emotional tone of 4-AcO-DET offers a fascinating opportunity to experience its powerful mind-bending and sensory effects in a rather calm and objective way. The methyl-propyl substitution is a stencil which occludes quite a bit, but what does manage to shine through is very cerebral, as illustrated by the visual aspects, which were't strictly visible, but simply known for no apparent reason. However, 4-HO-MPT does introduce something completely unexpected for me, which is an anaesthetic numbing and motor paralysis.

I think 4-HO-MPT's cerebral focus and cheerful, colorful mood could make for a potentially fantastic trip at higher dosages, but at 26 mg, I found it a bit lacking. I suspect that I'd probably need at least 50 mg, if not more, to really push the psychedelia to a point of satisfying fullness. I'd love to explore the substance at higher dosages, but I have a couple concerns about that. First, the bodily anaesthesia was already quite strong, and frankly I found it unpleasant as it was, let alone at double the dose. Second, I'm uncertain how the hypertension will scale with increasing dosage. If this compound had a more thorough history of human use with a reassuring safety record, I would be much more adventuresome about it, but I'm not one to play guinea pig, so I take these physical factors seriously. I think, if I continue to experiment, I will push forward in small increments, perhaps 5 milligrams at a time.

Until then, I eagerly await any forthcoming reports on the drug from other psychonauts. Stay safe and have fun!

substancecode_4hommt
substancecode_tryptamines
explevel_firsttime
roacode_oral
exptype_positive

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome report, thanks much for sharing it. :D I'm really glad to see this one finally making the rounds again!

I can relate to a lot of what you said, though I'm surprised once again at how few visuals you got compared to me at the same sort of dose, as I'm used to many people getting stronger visuals than me on tryptamines. I can in retrospect say that the way it makes me process my surroundings is somewhat similar to methoxetamine as well, and I definitely get that cartoony caricature and technicolor style, and I also find it interesting that you mention open eye pareidolia as that is actually the most prominent visual for me on 4-HO-MET and 4-HO-MPT more so than any other psychedelics, but at the same time even at 20 mg I got many beautiful patterns and distortions and tracers and all that good stuff, I actually consider it to be even more sensory than psilocin in some ways which is rare for me. It does sound like you were starting to get something along those lines while falling asleep at the end there though, so perhaps you will get more of these effects at a higher dose.

On the other hand, about the body effect, I'm amazed that you got it so strongly. I also lose some sensation on 4-HO-MPT, and also many other tryptamines in higher doses like 4-HO-EPT, but nowhere near strong enough to feel like anesthesia on the level you describe, more so in a way that I just describe as analgesia, because I can still feel myself and coordinate well but just don't feel any pain or kinks or anything like that. However, I could see it approaching that more fully anesthetic point at higher doses... and I have had it on a few other psychedelics that as you know interest me for similar reasons such as this, like DOC. It's a shame you found it unpleasant though, I actually find it quite enjoyable, unlike how I often feel when I get it on actual dissociatives.

I would agree to an extent with your assertion that extending the tryptamine tail bulk has a subtractive effect too, in the sense that things get more selective as you say though full spectrum effects can still be achieved by dosing high enough, but also would like to throw in the perspective that certain effects of the synthetic tryptamine have higher ceiling points than they do on psilocin, which would make them additive in this way. The dissociation is a good example, because I experience it on basically all psychedelics to varying extents, but it seems to cap out at a still pretty surface-level place by comparison on mushrooms and 4-AcO-DMT, whereas on the bulky tryptamines it gets to the point of being like you said, comparable to methoxetamine and other dissociatives through the senses and causing deliriant-like visuals like pareidolia and all that.... There are definitely certain aspects of these kinds of trips that I never have and never expect to be able to get out of psilocin.

Anyway, I will be very interested to hear what else you have to say about it when you go back in again. :) This one really does hold a special place in my heart... and I really am increasingly thinking that it really is related to that dissociative psychedelic effect that I and others seem to consistently get. I really can't wait to see it be explored a bit more thoroughly....

You're quite welcome! Gee, you get beautiful visuals, with only minor physical side effects... I got the short end of the stick on that one, haha. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

However, I could see it approaching that more fully anesthetic point at higher doses... and I have had it on a few other psychedelics that as you know interest me for similar reasons such as this, like DOC.

Did you have both numbing and stiffness on DOC?

You're quite welcome! Gee, you get beautiful visuals, with only minor physical side effects... I got the short end of the stick on that one, haha. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

Yeah, I definitely seem to have lucked out in that way with 4-HO-MPT.... I'm pretty happy to get the effects that I do. :) I do hope you are able to get more out of still without having to deal with much more of a body load, but like you said, you can't win 'em all, and I'm sure you'll survive with the plenty of other great tryptamine options too. ;)

Did you have both numbing and stiffness on DOC?

Yep, DOC had some of the worse stiffness and general bodily discomfort of any psychedelic for me, and also some of the most noticeable numbess. At one point on it I went walking outside with my roommate and he handed me his dog's leash because of an experience we had on LSD many years ago having fun feeling her pull us all around, and I could barely feel anything at all from it or anything else.

Nice report, thanks for sharing. :) I do find 26mg to be too low a dose with this, I suggest trying 50mg next time. This stuff is really nice, quite short and certainly not much like 4-HO-DMT. I find this one LSD-like is many ways, including the style of visuals.

You don't think that's too big a jump? I recently tried 25mg of 4-HO-MPT and I too had an underwhelming experience. It did get somewhat intense for a brief period of time as I reached to peak of the trip, but it was definitely not enough. I was planning to try 33mg next time, but maybe I'll take a little more than that considering both you and Kaleida recommend 50. I'm a little hesitant to push the dose too much because of a report in the B&D thread where someone took 50mg (though it appears most people in that thread had the freebase which is 25% more potent) and experienced some concerning side effects.

Very informative, TheAppleCore, thank you! :)
I'm about to sample it soon too, I wonder if I would get the same side effects?..8)

I personally found there to be no side effects, it felt almost entirely transparent on my body.

Yep, DOC had some of the worse stiffness and general bodily discomfort of any psychedelic for me, and also some of the most noticeable numbess. At one point on it I went walking outside with my roommate and he handed me his dog's leash because of an experience we had on LSD many years ago having fun feeling her pull us all around, and I could barely feel anything at all from it or anything else.

Interesting... at first, I assumed that the numbing effect of 4-HO-MPT was related to a dissociative-type CNS effect, but if DOC and 4-HO-MPT both share this problem, I wonder if it could be a direct consequence of vasoconstriction? Perhaps reduced blood flow impacts the ability of your body to trigger or conduct nerve impulses through the PNS?

Nice report, thanks for sharing. :) I do find 26mg to be too low a dose with this, I suggest trying 50mg next time. This stuff is really nice, quite short and certainly not much like 4-HO-DMT. I find this one LSD-like is many ways, including the style of visuals.

You're welcome. :) 50 mg might be nice, but I'm also starting to suspect that I might enjoy this particular compound in lower doses. I find that 4-substituted tryptamines in general are surprisingly effective in relatively small (< 10 mg) doses, so I think that microdosing -- or, as I like to call it, decidosing -- could end up being the perfect use for 4-HO-MPT for me.

You don't think that's too big a jump? I recently tried 25mg of 4-HO-MPT and I too had an underwhelming experience. It did get somewhat intense for a brief period of time as I reached to peak of the trip, but it was definitely not enough. I was planning to try 33mg next time, but maybe I'll take a little more than that considering both you and Kaleida recommend 50. I'm a little hesitant to push the dose too much because of a report in the B&D thread where someone took 50mg (though it appears most people in that thread had the freebase which is 25% more potent) and experienced some concerning side effects.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doubling the dosage without progressing in smaller steps. I saw that post in the B&D thread, and it was a bit concerning, although I thought it was a little weird that the author of the post went on to "highly recommend" the chemical after experiencing "heart palpitations, muscle pain, difficulty breathing, and severe [chest] tightness" on it. o_O

Very informative, TheAppleCore, thank you! :)
I'm about to sample it soon too, I wonder if I would get the same side effects?..8)

You're welcome, and I'll be curious to know what you think of it! :)

I think it's just the dissociating nature of the trip that makes you feel numb. I didn't notice symptoms of vasoconstroction like tingling or coldness in my hands when I tripped on it. I just felt kind of disconnected from my body.

I do find 26mg to be too low a dose with this, I suggest trying 50mg next time. This stuff is really nice, quite short and certainly not much like 4-HO-DMT. I find this one LSD-like is many ways, including the style of visuals.

^ I agree with this. ;)

4-HO-MPT was already strong for me at 25 mg for my first time, but I took 50 mg the second time anyway and had a blast, one of the best trips of my life. For whatever that's worth.... What I will say of 4-HO-MPT is that it did have a very slight feeling of tightness at 50 mg for me that I would be willing to consider could have been like vasoconstriction, but it was there to such a light degree that it might have also just been perceptual, and it was not threatening in any other way. I have also dosed a handful of people on 4-HO-MPT at dosages ranging from 20 mg to 60 mg and haven't heard of any complaints other than nausea so far. It's definitely good to be cautious of relatively unexplored chemicals, but so far I don't feel afraid of it.... I would be willing to say though that I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it is a higher efficacy tryptamine, like 4-HO-MET apparently is according to recent research. I do have some other thoughts on those reported side effects though, but see the second TheAppleCore response below for more detail....

Interesting... at first, I assumed that the numbing effect of 4-HO-MPT was related to a dissociative-type CNS effect, but if DOC and 4-HO-MPT both share this problem, I wonder if it could be a direct consequence of vasoconstriction? Perhaps reduced blood flow impacts the ability of your body to trigger or conduct nerve impulses through the PNS?

I would be willing to believe that it's a little of both, but in general I would also tend to agree with cj187 that I think it's more likely mostly a dissociative effect. I do think the stiffness could be related to the vasoconstriction though, and intensified by the dissociation, and that synergy could also impact your perception of how much of what you're feeling is coming from either....

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable doubling the dosage without progressing in smaller steps. I saw that post in the B&D thread, and it was a bit concerning, although I thought it was a little weird that the author of the post went on to "highly recommend" the chemical after experiencing "heart palpitations, muscle pain, difficulty breathing, and severe [chest] tightness" on it. o_O

Clearly they still had a good time lol. This is not to discount the potential seriousness of such symptoms, but when I read that, I honestly thought of my experience on 50 mg with 4-HO-MiPT, in which I tripped so hard that my heart rate could not really be reliably measured during the peak and my tactile sensation was so intensified that the act of breathing was quite laborious, and in the meantime I also had much of the muscle tension that many psychedelics give me when I'm just feeling overwhelmed like that. It was a heavy body feeling, but upon inspection I found none of it actually concerning. And it seems that plenty of people have taken 4-HO-MiPT in much higher doses than that without having any physical trouble as a result.... So, make of that what you will. I still would approach 4-HO-MPT cautiously beyond that point myself, however....