• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Aus - More smokers lighting up, despite ever-increasing taxes

poledriver

Bluelighter
More smokers lighting up, despite ever-increasing taxes

The number of smokers in Australia has increased for the first time since anti-smoking campaigns ramped up a generation ago, casting doubt on the effectiveness of further taxes on cigarettes.

An unexpected standstill in the national smoking rate since 2013, combined with rapid population growth, has pushed up the number of regular smokers by more than 21,000 to 2.4 million according to Colin Mendelsohn, an expert in public health at the University of New South Wales, who says Australia’s “punitive and coercive” policies to curb smoking have “run out of steam”.

“For the first time ever, there has been no statistically significant reduction in the smoking rate, and an increase in the number of smokers in Australia,” he told The Australian, noting the nation’s smoking rate was now higher than in the US for the first time in a decade. “This is despite plain packaging and the most expensive cigarette prices in the world.”

The analysis, based on the triennial survey conducted independently by the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, found the number of smokers fell by 317,000 between 2010 and 2013 but rose 21,100 in the three years to 2016. “That’s the first time that’s ever happened. The rates have always dropped significantly every time,” Dr Mendelsohn said, pointing out that the fall in the daily smoking rate for over-18s of 0.5 per cent to 12.8 per cent in 2016 was statistically insignificant.

He said plain packaging and tax increases had worked better for younger than older smokers, noting regular smoking rates for 12 to 17 years old had halved to 1.5 per cent over the past three years. “But we’re left with established, older smokers who can’t or won’t quit. The strategy of higher prices isn’t working for them,” he said.

A standard pack of Marlboro cigarettes averages $25.10 in Australia according to price comparison website Numbeo, compared with $14.80 in Britain, $8.50 in the US and $1.90 in Indonesia. “There are law of diminishing returns to price increases; a lot of smokers are digging their heels in,” Dr Mendelsohn said, suggesting high prices had fuelled a black market.

The government’s world-beating tobacco excise haul, $11.6 billion this year (or $4950 a year per regular smoker), is on track to rise 31 per cent over the three years to 2021 owing to scheduled increases in excise of 12.5 per cent every year until then.

Alex Wodak, director of the Australian Drug Law Reform Foundation, endorsed Dr Mendelsohn’s analysis and concerns. “Australia is doing everything right in terms of tobacco control, but one key difference with the UK and USA, where smoking rates have dropped, is our hostility to e-cigarettes,” he added.

Cont -

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...s/news-story/190014e7306548c49fc372dabb5a0555

I thought Australia's smoking rate had dramatically reduced in the last 5 or so years. For some reason I thought I read or possibly even posted articles on it. Oh well, I can't be bothered to look into it now.

I do know that our prices for smokes are way over the top. To the point of it being beyond a joke. -

A standard pack of Marlboro cigarettes averages $25.10 in Australia according to price comparison website Numbeo, compared with $14.80 in Britain, $8.50 in the US and $1.90 in Indonesia.

$5,000 in taxes per year per smoker? That is nuts. Does Australia have a large black market for tobacco?

$5,000 in taxes per year per smoker? That is nuts. Does Australia have a large black market for tobacco?

Depends where you live. Most of the black market stuff is in your western suburbs, i.e. more inland. For example for me it would be an hour or so from where I live where I can source cheaper cigarettes.

The black market stuff though tastes like shit.

What happens here is as the tax goes up every few months, stores take advantage of this and jack up the price even more. If people aren't buying they will then reduce it a week later. It's fair fucked.

Don't even get me started on booze here. $50 to buy a case of shit beer. The decent stuff is around $80 a case. At your local pub it is about $6 min for your average beer.

Spirits is something else :(

They then put a 70% tax hike on the premixed spirit drinks like your jim beam and coke as too many minors were drinking it.

The money the government makes from gambling in this country is also a joke. The largest retailer Woolworths here owns Australia's largest Poker machine license.

Can waffle on and on...

I dont think I've ever come across black market cigs. And I've used black market drugs like lsd, weed, speed, xtc etc for over 20 years. But as noo mentioned it's probably more a western suburbs thing in Syd and I lived on the Nrthern beaches and city areas. I now live in the country. All the people I know who smoke cigs buy them from shops legally afaik. And pay the rip off prices. There's not really any other choice.

Yeah beer is a joke hey, I went to the local club and had lunch yesterday and the bar tender chick said, schooner of lashes? And I said no thanks I'm still on dry July, so just a schooner of lemonade thanks and she said oh that's good for you the price per schooner just went up again last week and I was like ffs, I'm glad I'm not drinking.

And cases are such a rip off too, all the nice stuff is soo expensive as you mentioned. A total joke. Makes me wont to go and live in Sth East Asia or something, but they have fucked drug laws so I'd probably get in shit for weed or something.

Maybe I should go to Colorado or Canada. I prefer warm places though. Do Colorado and Canada have warm areas and beaches? lol..

A mate who lived in the Philippines I think it was mentioned a year or so back that he was getting cases of beer delivered to his door for like 10 bucks or something. But again, the Philippines is too strict on illegal drugs.

I've heard Cambodia is very cheap and has a lot of drugs and if you stay really small scale you can bribe off any potential run ins but again it's risky I guess. I love my weed. Maybe fiji. I scored black market weed off locals when I was there and I dont think they are very strict for small amounts.

I'm getting over Aus. I got to get away somewhere in the next few years sometime I hope.

Do Colorado and Canada have warm areas and beaches? lol..

You could try Vancouver or our Victoria. They're pretty much the only places in Canada with mild winters, and they have plenty of beaches. That said, I can't imagine that either the warmth or the beaches are up to Australian standards! =D

Yes I would love to check those places out. I hope one day I can. We only get one life I gather so I may as well try and get to a few of these places before I get too old lol :)

I dont think I've ever come across black market cigs. And I've used black market drugs like lsd, weed, speed, xtc etc for over 20 years. But as noo mentioned it's probably more a western suburbs thing in Syd and I lived on the Nrthern beaches and city areas. I now live in the country. All the people I know who smoke cigs buy them from shops legally afaik. And pay the rip off prices. There's not really any other choice.

Yeah beer is a joke hey, I went to the local club and had lunch yesterday and the bar tender chick said, schooner of lashes? And I said no thanks I'm still on dry July, so just a schooner of lemonade thanks and she said oh that's good for you the price per schooner just went up again last week and I was like ffs, I'm glad I'm not drinking.

And cases are such a rip off too, all the nice stuff is soo expensive as you mentioned. A total joke. Makes me wont to go and live in Sth East Asia or something, but they have fucked drug laws so I'd probably get in shit for weed or something.

Maybe I should go to Colorado or Canada. I prefer warm places though. Do Colorado and Canada have warm areas and beaches? lol..

Where on the Northern Beaches were you living at?

The pub story sounds quite funny.

Canada seems like a great place to live at. Friendly people etc...

You could always move to North Korea and just pick up weed off the side of the road.

There are too many Pedo's in Cambodia.

I've lived at Mona Vale, Dee Why, Frenchs Forest, inner city and a few other areas on the Nth side.

Yeah I've heard about the sick Pedos who go there to prey on the young kids and their families who are really poor etc. But that sadly happens in a lot of places I think, Indo, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Burma etc etc. All of those places I would go to to check out their culture, food, temples, beaches if they have any etc. I'm thinking Spain would be cool too.

I'm hoping I can make it happen in the next few years. Maybe I'll just go and not plan too much and just head from place to place and go wherever I wont. So many options. I wonder how much I'd need to be gone a year or two.

It's been nearly 20 years since I've been over seas. Last trip was fiji.

I've lived at Mona Vale, Dee Why, Frenchs Forest, inner city and a few other areas on the Nth side.

Yeah I've heard about the sick Pedos who go there to prey on the young kids and their families who are really poor etc. But that sadly happens in a lot of places I think, Indo, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Burma etc etc. All of those places I would go to to check out their culture, food, temples, beaches if they have any etc. I'm thinking Spain would be cool too.

I'm hoping I can make it happen in the next few years. Maybe I'll just go and not plan too much and just head from place to place and go wherever I wont. So many options. I wonder how much I'd need to be gone a year or two.

It's been nearly 20 years since I've been over seas. Last trip was fiji.

I lived in Narrabeen from 87 to 98. Since then have been in Dee Why. However am in Narra almost daily at the Sands.

Did you ever go toCartoons or Evolution in Dee Why?

yep I went to Cartoons lol and whatever that place was called that had the shit music and $1 drinks.. I've forgotten the name right now. hmm it'll come to me. Oh it was called the jet club I think. I also used to go to Mcghetigans, metropolis, steps, northpoint tav and even the rock lilly at mona.

14 million illegally imported cigarettes worth $9 million seized

Fourteen million illegally imported cigarettes worth an estimated $9 million have been seized in Melbourne's west.

A six-month Border Force operation led to the discovery of the cigarettes at Derrimut last week and five people have been arrested.

"This is going to have a large impact on the cigarette trade," Police Inspector Andrew Holman said.

The alleged gang first came to the attention of authorities in February, with a number of consignments being monitored.

Last week factories were raided in Dandenong, Derrimut and Campbellfield, while two men were allegedly caught trying to flee the country at Melbourne Airport.

The men, aged 23 to 37, remain in custody and are due to reappear at Melbourne Magistrates Court on November 6.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...iggies-seized-five-arrested?ocid=Social-9News

yep I went to Cartoons lol and whatever that place was called that had the shit music and $1 drinks.. I've forgotten the name right now. hmm it'll come to me. Oh it was called the jet club I think. I also used to go to Mcghetigans, metropolis, steps, northpoint tav and even the rock lilly at mona.

The Rock Lily is now "Das Bierhaus Austrian Restaurant & Bar". The Mona is currently under reno's. Won't be done until next year. Fair interesting Bone thugs n Harmony played there the other year.

Where Cartoons was it's all now been demolished, including those shops, i.e. where the arcade was and RTA and now it's just apartments.

The old Vumbaca fruitmarket where the gym and Spotlight was has all been smashed down and is now under construction. More apartments :( Good thing I am close to Cromer.

Behind Dee Why library they finally built a PCYC. Just opened this month. Looks good.