• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

New Member - Short story of why I'm here.

AsherOpie

Greenlighter
Hi guys and girls...

I've used this site many times for information and guidance when I've gotten it a little wrong.

My story really begins around ten years ago.
I had a car accident as an 18 year old. I was stationery at a T Junction, When the car doing 40mph behind me decided not to notice me and not to stop.
After weeks of appointments being in pain. I was prescribed Co codamol 30/500mg. I was on these for the best part of ten years. I Had a brief stint on tramadol 50mg prescribed by my doctor. But I couldn't do my job whilst on tramadol.

I recently came to the conclusion that I have a problem and have taken the appropriate help from MY GP and addiction services.

I came to this conclusion one day after tallying up that I spend around 500 pound per month buying additional co codamol from web sites because I had ended up taking a little more and a little more until it got out of control and I was taking 25-30 pills per day.

Recently I found some left over tramadol in my cupboard. I decided to mix the tramadol with my co codamol at high dosage of both. This was prior to me seeking help from my GP. This mixture of both medicines and what happened next was the catalyst for me to reach out to my GP and ask for help. At this point, I also told my fiance who i had hidden the habit from for 4 years.

After I'd mixed the two medicines, Around an hour later my body starts to feel really warm and having massive hot flushes from head to toe.
Next my legs start to twitch.
I notice my partner looking at me so I decided I was going to go and have a shower so as not scare her with whatever was going on with me.
So I head to the bedroom and start laying clothes out. My arms start feeling heavy and strange. Next thing my legs collapse. I'm on the floor with my legs shaking and kicking uncontrollably but still fully conscious. This lasted around ten seconds. My partner heard the noise so came running through. By the time she got through the kicking and shaking had stopped.
I had no idea at that point what had happened.
Had a trip to A&E. Found out I had a seizure. Just not a full blown grand mal.

All of that was two weeks ago.
I'm now seeing addiction services and regular appointments with my GP.
My medicine has been changed to 30mg of codeine phosphate. I'm taking eight a day only.
All of my blood tests came back clear so my liver has escaped unscathed (God knows how..?)
Heart trace also came back ok.
So it seems that physically, I've came out of this relatively healthy. Excect from the dependence issues which we're dealing with now.
It finally seems like there's light at the end of the tunnel for me.
Hopefully I can answer questions and help people on here, As other people have helped me on here with their advice and posts previously.

This was written during a car journey so excuse the punctuality and spelling.

Thanks,
Asher.

Asher that experience sounds horrendous for both of you. I'm glad you made it through and are now getting help. <3