View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Smoking DMT 19 years old?

SiKo22

Greenlighter
Hey, I'm just wondering if 19 years old is a suitable age to smoke DMT. I recently found out about it through ny sisters bf and I've researched a little about it to see if it's safe and all that but my sisters bf is saying he won't get me any now because he is saying I have to be 21 and that my brain hasn't fully developed yet! I've been smoking weed since I was 15 but never done any psychedelic drug but I want dmt to be my first. I personally feel like I am ready to true but I just want some advice from the community :)

IMO 19 is old enough. I'm not a scientist, but you are an adult now (at least where I live). Your brain might still be developping, but I don't know if it ever stops. I don't see a big difference between 19 and 21.

Always take care of set and setting, and start out with a low dose.

DMT is a pretty gnarly first psychedelic experience. Id suggest trying a less intense substance for your first trip.

my sisters bf is saying he won't get me any now because he is saying I have to be 21 and that my brain hasn't fully developed yet!

He's right.

I would never provide psychedelic drugs to anyone younger than 21.

If he has doubts about how well you'll handle DMT, you should listen to him. DMT is very different from Cannabis, and it's not just a toy to have fun with. Wait a couple more years. You'll probably be glad you did.

Part of being prepared for psychedelic drugs is being prepared to accept advice from people who are older and more experienced than you are.

Last edited:
Brain/identity development is the bigger issue here over DMT being an intense psych to start off with IMO. DMT was my first psych experience besides weed as well and I handled it like a champ, no problems. The main issue I have found personally and see in others with early use of psychedelics is the shattering of identity before anything concrete has really developed, effectively prolonging the identity formation stage by years, leading to difficulties individually as well as functioning in and throughout society.

Having started earlier than you, my advice is to wait. Not because you can't handle it or because your brain is physically/chemically still developing, but because you don't want to go tearing down those walls before they've even had a chance to be built, or before you've found a place in society. Breaking through the doors of perception is a life changing event in itself and doing so while so young still - I've found - is extremely damaging to the healthy functioning of the individual in society.

Not to mention the normalization of such psychologically disintegrating experiences occurring from beginning use at such a young age, subsequently leading to an enmeshment of psychedelics with the identity as well as perception of "life" as a whole, resulting in a much harder time leading life without their presence.

Breaking through the doors of perception is a life changing event in itself and doing so while so young still - I've found - is extremely damaging to the healthy functioning of the individual in society.

This is a good point. You can set yourself on a path in life that is outside the normal routes people take. This doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it can be. If this is less so later in life I actually don't know. One thing is sure though, waiting will not hurt you.

Your psychological mind is the factor, is your brain ready, or up to this?

Some people should never use DMT or other hallucinogenic drugs.
Some people do manage to use drugs like this without repercussions.

Most people who use DMT without subsequent challenges used quite a number of drugs prior.
Most people who use DMT without subsequent challenges understood their limitations before using DMT.

Some simple sentences, but something to consider.

Me, i wish i never had any interest in drugs, let alone the incessant desire i have today to learn about them, either through experience or researching.