• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How I quit Opiods using kratom - my story

shartito

Bluelighter
This my first post on this forum. I've lurked off and on for years, seeking various advice and wisdom. But never decided to post until now. I know there are other posts similar to mine, and many people may not read this or care, but I felt inspired to write it. Maybe it will help someone.

I have an addictive personality. My life seems to consist of getting hooked on things, and then struggling to give them up. I was an alcoholic for 8 years, haven't had a drink in 3. Went through a coke phase in early 20's, haven't touched that in 15 years.

Now.. opiates.

Vicodin was my poison of choice. There was a lot of oxy mixed in at various times, but those beautiful yellow 10mg were the constant. Started off as most people do, taking a couple at a time... slowly taking more and more per day, until I was taking them all day, every day. This was about 3 years. The last year or so I was easily eating 150-200 mgs of hydrocodone a day (not to mention the insane amount of tylenol). My story will sound familiar to many. Some of you weren't as bad as me, some of you were worse. Doesn't matter.. I've never been one to compare severity of addiction like we're talking about the size of a fish we caught. The point is, I was addicted to opiates for 3 years.

I have a good job. I have a wife and 3 children. Luckily, I kept all of those good things. And luckily I had enough income to where I coudld spend money on pills and still pay the bills. I was a functioning addict. I performed well at my job (as long as I was taking pills). I was a functioning member of society, with a secret not even my wife knew about. She knew I Was on something, but I explained it away as the benzos she knew I was prescribed. She's not drug-savvy enough to know the difference. (More on benzos later)

Finally, I decided to quit. I had thoughts of quitting many times, but was never REALLY serious about it. But this time I was. Nothing major happened. I didn't get arrested, etc... I just one day decided I didn't want to do this anymore. That's the first step. Deciding that. Really deciding that and meaning it. Although nothing major happened to make me want to quit, there were several factors leading up to it.

• Although I made enough money to keep the bills paid, I thought of how much money I would have, and the things I could have done for my future if I hadn't spent tens of thousands of dollars on pills. I could be out of debt. My house could be paid off. I could have college set up for my kids.
  • I was tired of being tired. Always tired.
  • I was scared of fentanyl. I've encountered fake pills, and luckily never took them, but if I had, who knew what was in it. One day, there would be a perfect looking fake pill, filled with fentanyl, and that would be it.
  • I was tired of my life being consumed by thinking of pills, finding pills, getting money for pills, waiting for pills.. Pills, pills, pills. That was everything. It consumed me. And those times where I couldn't find any and started Withdrawals... OH MY GOD. Those of you who have experienced it don't need it to be explained. It's the worst

I had heard of kratom before. Decided to do some research. Some was done on this very forum. I was very strategic about my approach. I wanted to do this the right way.

Here is what I did. This is not a medical advice post. This is just my story.

Supplies:

1. Kratom - I've read that the best thing to do is order powder online. Best prices and quality. While I don't doubt that, I went to my local headshop and bought capsules. I overpaid, I'm sure, but I'm okay with that. For one, I was doing this at work and didn't have the ability to make tea or chocolate kratom milkshakes, etc.. I had to keep it very under the radar. I also like capsules because they were easily measurable, as long as the bottle was labelled with the gram content per cap. I used Red Bali kratom
  2. A Benzo - I have clonazepam. I don't really have anxiety, but I convinced my doctor I do to get some. I've been taking this for several years. I'm sure Xanax would work too, but clonazepam is what I had, and I liked the long half life that it has. I'm not sure how crucial this was to the success. For me, it was necessary, but I think for those who aren't already on a benzo and want to quit opiates, that this would help tremendously. If you don't have a script, and you're an opiate user, chances are you know where to find some on the street
  3. Nyquil
  4. Immodium
  5. Water - Lots of water

I started with trying to do a taper of my last batch of opiates. As anyone who has tried this probably knows, an addict trying to taper is a total joke. What I did manage to do, however, was save 2 10mg pills. I took one my second to last day and somehow managed to keep it at that one. Then I took the last pill the next day around 5PM. Then a couple hours later I took 2 mg of clonazempam, a giant swig of Nyquil, and went to bed, anticipating the next day (in which I would be at work)

Day 1 I woke up feeling that feeling... like "oh shit I need some pills". Not quite full withdrawals yet, but a little sweaty, clammy feeling. Eyes tearing up, nose running, overall antsy and anxious feeling. I took a hot shower, drove to work and tried to ride this out as long as possible. I made it about an hour before I realized it was time for the next phase of my plan - Kratom. Based on my previous research, I decided to go with 10 grams (this is 20 capsules) my first dose, along with 1 mg benzo. (If I didn't already have a tolerance to benzos I would probably keep this at .5mg) At first I didn't think it was going to work, and it took a little while... but all of the sudden, it hit. I felt normal! My WD symptoms were 99% gone. It was phenomenal at how well it worked. And it actually made me feel kind of good. A buddy of mine asked me what it felt like, I described it as similar to a big Tramadol dose. Tramadol sucks, yes, but I'm trying to avoid WD's, and not get high

I rode it out as long as I could. It lasted longer than I thought. It wasn't until later on after I got home from work that I decided to redose the kratom.

That was pretty much the cycle. 10 grams of kratom, 1mg of benzo, repeat repeat repeat. The only difference is that at nights, I doubled the benzos and added NyQuil to help me sleep.

And I drank water. Lots and lots of water. I was pissing all the time.

I did this for 12 days straight. Then started tapering down the kratom. I ran out of kratom before I could taper like I wanted to, so decided I was ready to just stop it cold turkey. This is where I ran into my first problems. I started feeling antsy and anxious again, some muscle aches and nausea. I wasn't sure (and still am not sure) if I was withdrawing from the kratom or the opiates still. Either way, it didn't matter. I had made it this far, I was just going to power through it. I felt like shit, but not nearly as bad as previous opiate WD's. I could do this. This is also where the Immodium came into play. I guess the kratom kept the intestinal issues at bay, but once the kratom was out of my system, that lovely part of WD's started. I aggressively took Immodium. That problem lasted literally less than 2 days. Around that time (that the intestinal issues cleared up) I started realizing that the other symptoms had waned too.

That's when I realized I had done it. I had just kicked a 3 year opiate addiction.

Kratom is the secret. It is magic for the opiate addict. I think the reason it doesn't work for some people is they simply don't take enough. I had to swallow 20 capsules at a time. That seems excessive, but it's what needs to be done to get to the therapeutic level needed to help with WD symptoms.

That's pretty much it. Just wanted to share my story. Hopefully this helps someone. Opiate addictions can be beaten.

I'm sure I'll relapse at some point. Hopefully I will stop immediately and not get hooked again.

Last thing I want to say is that if anyone uses any of my advice... if you're not already on a benzo, and you start one to quit opiates.. quit the benzo as soon as you possibly can. The last thing you want is a benzo addiction.

That, my friends, is my next project. I'm going to take a while to adjust to my opiate-free life, then I'm going to kick the benzos.

Have a good day all.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! I too was a long time pain pill addict (8years). I'm so happy for you for deciding to quit when you did. I guess I was just too stubborn to quit early in my addiction, because I dug myself quite a hole. I was forced into quitting on account of a 40 month prison sentence resulting from drug charges.

Since I've been out I avoid illegal substances like the plague, but I discovered kratom and have been enjoying its benefits and recreational value. It's and amazing plant!

congrats on defeating your addiction!:)

shartito- Wow! Looks to be quite a detailed, informative and helpful post! Don't have the time currently to read through, but will most certainly do so this evening and leave my remarks!

I am always happy to see a person break such a difficult addiction, and love hearing other's success stories with this wonderful leaf! Always great to see others being active in promoting the medicinal and sometimes life saving properties of this plant, and helping to even the battlefield while it is under wrongful attack, misrepresentation, false scrutiny, and its proven benefits being denied or called into question.

Not only this, but giving many hope where there wasn't previously and giving potentially very beneficial information and advice for an issue in which good options, solutions and advice are severely lacking. If our "leaders" were so concerned as they pretend to be with the "opioid epidemic" currently raging through the United States, discussion into this plant's many uses and benefits would be greatly expanded and without pharma's profit margin in mind. This is a wonderful option for many people in many circumstances, and we need all the viable options we can get. Reports such as these are an incredibly powerful tool in the fight, especially in such crucial times as now. I very much look forward to reading this. Thanks for sharing!

-PA

Unfortunately I relapsed.

To put this in perspective, I created this thread about 5 days after stopping the Immodium. So roughly about 20 days after my last pill.

Yesterday, Oxy 15 IR's showed up at an amazing price. And I just broke. So, I made it 25 days before relapse.

I have about 50 of them, then will try and quit cold turkey. I'm going to try to do it without kratom, but I have a feeling I will end up needing it. I was considering starting Kratom as recreational anyway... so, I may use it to help WD again and just keep using it.

Right now I'm not sure.

What's strange is that my tolerance did not drop very much, even after 25 days. I was hoping I would get super opie fucked up off just a little oxy, but that was not the case, unfortunately.

So, I'm disappointed in myself. But I also feel amazing right now.

I'm such an addict. FML.

Slips are a part of life, try to not go overboard with your 50 oxys, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble in the near future. Maybe now is a good time to order a reasonable amount of Kratom to prepare for your next attempt
Good luck

Slips are a part of life, try to not go overboard with your 50 oxys, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble in the near future. Maybe now is a good time to order a reasonable amount of Kratom to prepare for your next attempt
Good luck

Thanks for the kind words. I wonder if I've kind of fucked myself mentally with such an easy detox. Like it will be easy for me to convince myself to use again because I can just use kratom every time I slip up. Eventually that method will stop working as well, I suspect.

^ it'll just take more Kratom to stabilize. After you're out of oxy, maybe just have some Kratom around for emergencies, so if you feel like buying some pills, you have an alternative. When I quit my h habit and after using Kratom to withdrawl, I had a friend hold onto about 2 ounces of Kratom that I could dip into whenever the craving got intense. Cheer up, you've got a good withdrawl kit figured out! So all you need to do is implement it when the time is right and try to prepare yourself mentally for when those too good to turn down offers come your way, so it goes with the struggle to stay clean. getting clean is no longer the issue, it's staying clean.
I wish you more than luck

Thanks for the kind words. I wonder if I've kind of fucked myself mentally with such an easy detox. Like it will be easy for me to convince myself to use again because I can just use kratom every time I slip up. Eventually that method will stop working as well, I suspect.

The kratom will likely be less effective with subsequent relapses. Tread carefully my friend. I hate to say it, but could you get rid of the pills you just bought? It's possible for you to wind up back in the situation you just escaped. WDs get worse each time you go through them.

Thank you all for the advice and concern. I do need to get rid of what I have left. Will I actually do it.... that's another question. I know I'm in dangerous territory.

The worst part is, I actually told my regular contacts that I had quit, and to please not tell me when they re-stocked and had supplies available. But I forgot to tell one of my less regulars, who texted me out of the blue with the offer. It was an easy sell, I didn't even put up a fight.

I'm placing an order for some good internet kratom. As soon as it arrives in the mail, whatever is left of the 50 I will get rid of. Honestly, they'll probably all be gone by then.

Great, great job buddy. I saw you reply to my post and I'm very glad you successfully quit. Stories like that are what need to be shared. I'm going to practically do the exact same thing as you. Sounds like we had the same plan in mind. Will keep you informed how mine goes... and just like you, I'm sure I'll take them again in future, but hopefully it'll be that once or twice a week fun feeling. Good job my friend

Mark

Today is actually my first day of Round 2 after my relapse. My mail order didn't arrive in time so I got some head shop kratom.

I was able to get rid of some of my relapse Oxy, (original purchase was 60 pills) so I finished it more quickly. I went balls to the wall for about 3 days then just completely stopped again.

I feel great right now. There are no opiates around, and I'm doing good.

That's good to hear :) TBH, you might not even get WDs from such a short stint. I think you're more likely to experience some rebound symptoms for a couple days, so the kratom might not even be necessary. Good luck!

That's good to hear :) TBH, you might not even get WDs from such a short stint. I think you're more likely to experience some rebound symptoms for a couple days, so the kratom might not even be necessary. Good luck!

You know, you might be right. I'm not sure the kratom will be necessary. I wasn't exactly hurting. I was doing okay this morning. I'm just not taking any chances. If/when the cravings come back and WD's do start (even if they're minor) I feel better knowing I have the kratom. Otherwise I'll start looking for pills.

I've actually only taken 7 grams total today and im still doing okay.

I have a lot coming in the mail though...

You know, you might be right. I'm not sure the kratom will be necessary. I wasn't exactly hurting. I was doing okay this morning. I'm just not taking any chances. If/when the cravings come back and WD's do start (even if they're minor) I feel better knowing I have the kratom. Otherwise I'll start looking for pills.

I've actually only taken 7 grams total today and im still doing okay.

I have a lot coming in the mail though...
The Kratom will come in hand if you're getting ideas about using, not bad to have it around just for kicks either

Dont get me wrong kratom is a much better habit then opiods but all your really doing is substituting. Your going to keep feeding that addiction part of your brain and from my experiences your at a greater chance of relapse. I would use the kratom to detox and after about a week start tapering down until you get off kratom and go to N.A. and build a foundation that will help you with addiction.

I keep reading about people that switched from opiods to kratom and promoting this new life style when they really should be clean from all mood and mind altering drugs and in N.A. eventually your kratom tolerance is going to go up, youll be eating way too much kratom and will eventually want the stronger stuff. Everyone is differant so this post is for the true addicts out there that want to live without drugs..and need a program like N.A. kratom maintance isnt the answer it should only be used as a taper for a true addict.

As a recovering dope head as soon as I feel the slight euphoria from kratom my brain wants more and more and the only way im gonna be happy is with the real thing..if your an addict like me kratom is only good for detoxing. If your not an addict like me this doesnt apply to you

Dont get me wrong kratom is a much better habit then opiods but all your really doing is substituting. Your going to keep feeding that addiction part of your brain and from my experiences your at a greater chance of relapse. I would use the kratom to detox and after about a week start tapering down until you get off kratom and go to N.A. and build a foundation that will help you with addiction.

I keep reading about people that switched from opiods to kratom and promoting this new life style when they really should be clean from all mood and mind altering drugs and in N.A. eventually your kratom tolerance is going to go up, youll be eating way too much kratom and will eventually want the stronger stuff. Everyone is differant so this post is for the true addicts out there that want to live without drugs..and need a program like N.A. kratom maintance isnt the answer it should only be used as a taper for a true addict.

As a recovering dope head as soon as I feel the slight euphoria from kratom my brain wants more and more and the only way im gonna be happy is with the real thing..if your an addict like me kratom is only good for detoxing. If your not an addict like me this doesnt apply to you

I'm not "promoting a new lifestyle". I'm sharing my experience in how I used kratom to help quit a destructive and dangerous painkiller addiction.

I'm not sure what the intent of your post is. I think all of us addicts know that there are deeper problems that need to be addressed if we ever want to be addiction free. My thread isn't about that, though. It's a tactical thread about using kratom to get off another, more dangerous substance.

I'll pass on the NA recommendation though. Thanks, but not my thing. Tried AA once many years ago. Hated it.

By the way, I'm over halfway through day 2 of round 2.

Have taken only 5 grams of kratom. I feel great. I feel.... normal. Normal is an unfamiliar feeling to me. I kind of like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 3. I have taken nothing. Not even a benzo yet. And I'm 4 hours into my day.

Physically I feel okay. Mentally a little anxious. But that could be self-inflicted just because I'm thinking about it too much.

I plan on taking no more kratom. And eventually doing it recreationally 2-3 times a week once a month or so has passed.

Edit - I broke and took some kratom. My new goal is to do a proper taper off of kratom. That's the one step of my original plan that I haven't successfully completed yet. Whether it's necessary or not is up for debate. All I know is I'm at work, and if I didn't do something, people would start noticing I'm "off".

Last edited: