• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

SL Music Thread v. 2nd Take

Remember the Beach Boys from the 60's and 70's? They did a song called "God Only Knows" and much later on, it was turned into this video.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B9__fvAUrK4[/video]

Imogen heap lifeline

Will try it later

On phone and busy.

Finnish BM is great (probably not the type of music you linked though)

My taste is all over the place lately...Oh well that's what makes life so interesting!!! ; )

I forgot how good that album is :)

When I'm angry, like really frustrated, and I don't have the option of blowing off steam by going on a hike or bike ride or something, I put on this album. Namely, this song. I quickly notice how quickly I shift from being narrowly focused on my experience of anger and identify with their lyrics, tone of voice, etc.

Basically it seems to allow me to step back from being so caught up in my own aversive experience of anger, a perspective from which it's a lot easier to regulate my mood (i.e. calm down).

As I listen to their angry music, I dis-identify with my internal experience of anger. As I pick apart meaning from their angry music, I watch as the anger in my body-mind melts away.

It's actually a very contemplative experience, if in a funny kinda way %)

TPD it's cool how music can effect our mood. Awesome that that song brings you out of that negative head
space/self repeating negativity.

Love and happiness,
your friend
Ash,

I forgot how good that album is :)

When I'm angry, like really frustrated, and I don't have the option of blowing off steam by going on a hike or bike ride or something, I put on this album. Namely, this song. I quickly notice how quickly I shift from being narrowly focused on my experience of anger and identify with their lyrics, tone of voice, etc.

Basically it seems to allow me to step back from being so caught up in my own aversive experience of anger, a perspective from which it's a lot easier to regulate my mood (i.e. calm down).

As I listen to their angry music, I dis-identify with my internal experience of anger. As I pick apart meaning from their angry music, I watch as the anger in my body-mind melts away.

It's actually a very contemplative experience, if in a funny kinda way %)

^I've discovered that music is pretty much the best medicine. Like any medicine it can be misused, but when used responsibly it's pretty amazing how helpful its mood altering properties are :)

What kind of music are you into these days Ash? Would it be wrong of me to guess you're an XX fan? (me too, when the mood strikes me ;))

XX tends to make me think of love making music though, which in my humble opinion it is not the best for. Rather, wilco makes for great love making music %)

[relevance to SL is that sex *can be* very good for recovery :)]

TPD,

Yes I am a fan of XX, cool you are too!! Lately I have been listening to alternative more depressing things like this, it's just where I'm at right now with all these feelings and emotions resurfacing. Scary in a way though, you know what I mean? After you've been stuffing your feelings for so fucking long it's CRAZY and exciting when things start coming back to you, but also terrifying.

Yes music definitely can help or hinder.

Cool Wilco tune btw...; )

Hugs,
Ash.

Today's pic.

Last edited:
^my theory is that we're into the music of the moment that we are because of what we're going through in life. More specifically it's about where our sense of meaning is in life, given where one's at in their present stage in life.

I often find that the music I'm drawn to often reflects meaning I want to find in life vis a vis where I'm at in the moment. It also reflects how I make sense of the meaningfulness (or perceived lack thereof) given present circumstances.

Taste in music - not always, but certainly often - reflects the meaningfulness we find in our daily lives :)

Me, apparently I'm all about the rage, anger and frustration right now. Trying to make sense of anger, to work with it, and get myself towards a place where I'm able to transcend the current challenges I'm facing in life means that I'm really enjoying the thrash metal.

Are you working with melancholy or a sense of feeling lost Ash? Don't mean to psychoanalyze you, but I find our relationship with music we love to be fascinating.

^You bet,

I find it overwhelming actually, hence songs like I feel like I'm drowning.. ; ) Music has a way of helping us identify, acknowledge, validate and work through our feelings though. I'm glad you acknowledge the anger you're feeling, denial does no one any favors. We'll work our shit out.

I agree with everything you wrote above, Dr. ; )

^
Are you working with melancholy or a sense of feeling lost Ash? Don't mean to psychoanalyze you, but I find our relationship with music we love to be fascinating.

Last edited:
^^^^^ I love the old blues style country . It sings of hard times and pain . [video]https://youtu.be/l-KDa7uwidw[/video] here's another good deep cut of some Mad Season "wake up". This was during Layne Staley's trying to quit dope period.

Nice, me too :) I really need to find some more bluegrass one of these days. Or maybe ask my dad for access to his collection.

Thanks for the tune hfs :)

This is one of my favorite Bluegrass tunes. Growing up not far from the Western Kentucky coal fields, it was disheartening to see how mining companies just absolutely raped what was once such a beautiful place. The reference to "Mr. Peabody" in this song refers to St. Louis-based Peabody Energy.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite Bluegrass tunes. Growing up not far from the Western Kentucky coal fields, it was disheartening to see how mining companies just absolutely raped what was once such a beautiful place. The reference to "Mr. Peabody" in this song refers to St. Louis-based Peabody Energy.

Have you seen the coal companies taking the mountain tops off the get to the coal easier . It's a damn shame . The history and wildlife is basically trashed . On a positive note , if you like bluegrass then Steel Drivers is newer bluegrass group with Chris Stapleton singing lead . "Good corn liquor" is my favorite. I also love Willie Nelson with his psychedelic guitar playing from the mid 70s . "Angel's flying too close to the ground" .