• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids My Rules for controlled Heroin Use

I am very functional with it, at this point. Right now I feel like the dope is helping me function better than I could sober. I got a job 2 weeks ago, doing tree trimming, and have gotten up for work at 6 am every morning.

From one addict to another the fact that you are thinking about incorporating the drug into your everyday life and making it functional is a huge red flag. Basically everyone's just trying to tell you that what you are thinking right now is nearly identical to what so many others thought before they considered themselves addicts.

It doesn't sound like a very well balanced lifestyle to me. It might take years, but you could enter a really stressful period of your life and not having experienced withdrawal start using daily, as you already have to impose rules (a bad sign in my opinion).

I didn't start rattling hard until 18 months of habitual use had passed. Then I realized just how fucked I was. Not only are you risking becoming a heroin addict by using on any regular basis at all (this is undeniable) but since your tolerance will stay pretty low there is an increased risk of overdose. You could get a bag with fent in it and drop dead. Also, with long term use the energy, productivity, euphoria, analgesia, relaxation, mental stimulation / creative perspective all fade away anyway. Even one of your rules starts with "try" - I personally think self manipulation is likely going on. Even if you can somehow control it long term (which will get increasingly harder over time as you develop severe cravings dor the drug) why risk ruining your life for a little extra productivity in the short term. Maybe try and pick up yoga and as healthy a diet as possible. I'm sure the missing heroin would cover the costs.

It sounds to me like you are already psychologically hooked. In my opinion, it is only a matter of time. Apologies if this sounds condescending, but a lot of us here have way more experience with heroin use and know the fucking torture it can lead to is never ever worth using for. Come to your senses! It's A demon of a drug that kills without remorse or advance notice and it will make you lazier when you don't use it. Even the fent cut is enough for this to be a stupid fuckin idea. Had to say it. Don't become a victim, especially since you seem to be aware. There is no foresight into how horrific it can become, it steals souls.

I've always been of the opinion that the development of a "system" that will allow one to use Opioids chronically is basically just a stage of addiction/dependence. I feel that the desire to develop said "system" is something that 99% of us have at some point in our use. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's a Catch-22; you are so intent on using Opioids that you will go to great intellectual lengths in an attempt to insure that you will always be able to use them. It really seems to just predicate a descent into dependence.

There's no judgement here and I'm certainly not saying that "controlled use" is an impossible feat, but be aware of the statistical probability of developing a full dependence. Most users who have a "system" for controlled use ultimately develop a full-blown addiction. It sucks, but it's the truth.

Hello from Brooklyn here....
I think even with my Limited exp in opiate addiction, I can safely say it really is alllllll or nuthin
If you're using , you're on
If ya ain't pickin up, you're off.
I know the psychology behind attachment -> dependence -> addiction. I also just firmly believe that only the Incurable Life-Stopping severity of pain warrants use of opiates over a long term. I just cannot justify its use for myself no matter how I try; I am Powerless over opiates.
I wish you luck OP and strength to gtfo now.

Hello and as others have told you, your making deals with yourself. I wish someone would of told me how terrible addiction is and how easy it is to lie to yourself. So I will do what no one did for me. Five years later and I am a heroin addict. I need it I. The morning all day and at night to go to bed. No one plans on becoming a junkie but the grip is too tight. I rarely get the high I want and spend thousands a month on upkeep. Quit while you can. If I ever got hurt they would have to give me an unheard of amount of morphine to help with my pain. If I could tell myself this five years ago I would of stopped. Now I constantly have to make sure I have dope it is like cigarettes to me now. Just an active addict who wants to quit and can't for any length of time. Please read this over and over. Or you will be like me a heroin addict for life.

I have a great job and hide it well. I am a high functioning addict but still an addict. I never have time to quit for good or at least I tell myself this.

Last edited:
I'm currently quiting an IV habit so I can go back to just using for 3 days a week, coz that's how I started and it was fun then.
I don't even remember how I went from using 3 days a week to standing in the kitchen it blood dripping down my arm trying to catch a vein.
The only reason I quit (went onto subs today) is because I spent all my savings and what I get paid that use to last week's now only lasts a few days and I can't remember the last time I felt that beautiful warm mega rush.
So now I count down 2 weeks on a sub taper so I can use again. Welcome to the life of a junkie.
Be careful !

Gotta agree with everyone else. I'm not like a lot of people. I didn't even really try and keep my use under control. I was in such a bad state when I started I was pretty much thinking I was gonna die anyway and didn't really last very long using functionally.

But I've known a lot of heroin addicts. None have managed to do this and keep it under control in the long run. None, zero.

Maybe there are some, but in my experience, it's only a matter of time before something happens. Some bad time in your life, whatever. And then you lose control. I hope you that doesn't happen to you I really do. But you gotta understand. A lot of people are going to see what you're doing and recognize it as exactly the same as they were before it all went to hell. Why would anyone think that won't happen to you when it looks the same and it has for them and everyone they know?

None of us want to be right man. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say nobody here wants you to wind up that way. We all want you to be the exception. But a lot of us have gone through hell the likes of which we'd never have imagined possible and wouldn't wish it on anyone. So it's hard to see you on the train tracks knowing that in all likely hood you'll be hit just like we will. And not wanna try and get you off them. Even though in truth I think we all know once you're on the track, few will get off no matter how much screaming they hear.

I wish you luck man I really do. But I gotta admit that like all the other posters here, I think once you start doing this it's only a matter of time.

Ive yet to even hear of a single person who managed to stay a functional heroin user even up to 10 years or so. Not one. It's not a good sign. It's not even common that I hear if heroin users who didn't wind up getting hit hard eventually. But the few that avoid it did so by seeing what was coming and deciding to stop before it was too late.

I think a lot of people, like me, even kinda knew what was coming and kept going anyway.

One thing that I can say for myself is this:

I've been using Heroin and other Opioids for over a decade. For 80%-90% of that time span, I was using Opioids everyday. Well, I was already dealing with a fairly heavy dependency by the time I was a senior in High School (15-16 years old or so). I was a year or two younger than a lot of people in my grade, so I gravitated toward the tougher kids for social insulation, ended up getting a job at a restaurant, which really helped seal the deal in terms of my dependency.

My point is, I managed to complete college, get my teaching license, travel around the world etc. I've done most of the shit I dreamed of doing. My career is more or less, what I want it to be. I'm teaching, like I'd always hoped, but not in the exact capacity that I'm after, but whatever.

I'm "successful", depending on how you use that term. I don't beg or steal for what I want, but, virtually all of my time outside of work must be dedicated to finding and acquiring my drugs. There's a certain degree of hustling involved, it seems, no matter where you're at, you always need more. Attempts to have a true social life like most of my peers generally ends in failure, as I simply don't have even the minimal amount of time that's required to maintain basic friendships.

So, to piggyback off of what Jess was saying, it's very difficult to get by and function with an addiction to Opioids or any drug for that matter, but it can be done. The issue is, the best possible scenario typically ends with a scenario like mine; immense amount of time, energy, emotion, fear and everything in between occupy all aspects of your life outside of your career. There are no "days off". Opioids will be your hobby, girlfriend and everything in between.

I really still think I prefer being addicted to Opioids. I can say that every time I've been clean, which includes spans ranging from months to over a year, the decision to resume Opioid use has always been decided in a fairly clear-headed way. I don't really care about the stigma, as Opioid are the only thing that has every had an impact upon my depression and/or anxiety.

It's surely a close race, as it were, but taking into account everything ranging from my emotional state to the consequences and pains of maintaining an Opioid habit, I have to say that living with an Opioid habit is probably 25% better for me in terms of ambition and mood. Say what you will, but definitely don't stigmatize.

Something that's very important to mention, my current "put-together" state, where I don't wake up in alleys, show up to work and get my shit done is due in large part to the fact that I switched from Heroin to Methadone a few years back. I almost exclusively use Methadone, as many of you know, from the street. One might think it a small difference, but with Methadone,
I only have to score/use once per day, as opposed to 2-3 times per day, minimum. I owe a lot of my relative stability to switching to long-acting Opioids. Methadone is not as "fun" as shooting Heroin, but I get my motivation and my ambition without having to deal with the madness, chaos and uncertainty of Heroin procurement.

Using methadone instead of heroin is a HUGE difference. So much so that what I wrote doesn’t apply. I was specifically referring to heroin. I still think there are profound risks with other opioids, largely because of the high risk of leading to heroin eventually. But I have heard of rare exceptions with some other opioids. But not with heroin.

Most of the horrible desperate shit I’ve done in my addiction was because I was trying to beat the clock. With heroin withdrawal starts fast and it gets really bad really quickly. You don’t have much time to come up with the money. And that’s what drove me to do most of the horrible things I’ve done.

And that accounts for most of the bad shit that’s happened to me as a result. Not all of it, but most. And of the other bad shit not related to half life it is still strongly related to heroin in particular. Getting hepatitis from IV use for example. Plus heroin addicts tend to be, let’s say perhaps more criminally inclined. Probably from having hard to do more bad stuff more often.

Regardless. I maintain my point. All opioid use carries a very high risk of winding up like me and so many others here. And once you move to heroin and IV heroin especially, I’ve never seen anyone maintain it functionally for particularly long. I’ve seen some who were smart enough to stop before it got that bad, but even that’s rare. I’ve seen none keep using and avoid it ending up that way. I’ve never even really heard a convincing anecdote of it.

When I started, I had extreme untreated chronic back pain for years and also daily severe panic attacks. Heroin helped me out for a while, but worst decision of my life.
I am presently in physical agony, my back is locked up and I can't even move and my spine is screaming in pain.
I'm just happy that I won't be waking up sick tomorrow because it was SO much worse than any of that, even when I had a good supply going the side effects were horrible and my tolerance became extreme.
I knew I was going to want it all the time before I tried it. Just happy that today marks officially two weeks. I'll never go back, thaf cold turkey withdrawal was fuckin traumatizing.

Shroomy--
I have been following your story in the tapering/social thread. Big congratulations on 2 weeks off !!!! I am so glad you survived the awful withdrawals n i hope you get one of the positions you applied for!

Opiates are terribly hard to Not Want, once you've had them for pain. My addiction was the pill form And that too began as a months -long medical requirement in 2007.
I don't take them any more.
I also live with far too much pain. But marijuana doesn't work for me (bad side effects ) and doctors don't offer much but extremely addictive options which stop working quickly due to fast fast fast tolerance.
Anyway Congrats

I keep checking back into this thread, in hope the OP returns with a progress report or an update.
I wish him/her Well.... strength n peace, whatever route they maybe taking.

For a while, the last few weeks it felt like I was snorting this scramble just to do it, and it was not getting me high, but just getting me normal. I got some better shit, and it did kinda get me high, But I feel like if you don't get down to a baseline sober at some point, the high feeling becomes the normal feeling, and you no longer feel "high"

It's not necessarily about the tolerance increase. Although, yes, my tolerance has gone up. I used to be able to split a cap into 4 lines, and make it last all day. Now I can do a whole cap at one time. I used to be able to do 1 line too many, then throw up from being too high. Now I feel like it would be almost impossible to make me throw up.

But besides that, I feel like there is another dynamic at play. When you don't take a break, and get a sober baseline, you are just not able to get high anymore. You just get out of the hole, and get normal again. I just require really good gear now.

everyone is different, don't let anyone tell you what wont work. 2 years ago when i first started snorting heroin every told me Id never chip, id be shooting soon ect. 2 years later I get fd up off less H than a month after i first tried it. I quit when i need to (4 times) never because i want to but theres not always money. For example ive quit cold turkey after 2 months of daily use, which culminated in a bun a day up my nose and experience next to No WD. everyone is DIFFERENT