• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Xanax doesn't kick in fast enough for me

RTrain

Bluelighter
I always read people claiming xanax to kick in within like 15 minutes, and 30 mins tops. IDK why but for me I don't really feel it for like an hour. Which is a pain in the ass because I take it for panic attacks and I am freaking out for like ana hour before it starts to take away my anxiety.

Now, I should mention, I am physically addicted to xanax and take about 3 mg a day. About 1 mg tid. I won't get into how I ended up addicted and doing it daily, its an odd reason and I regret it obviously because I don't want to be on it, at least not that high a dose.

Of course being physcially addicted and therefore tolerant to it, I need to really up the dose to get any relief from a panic attack. If I am having a panic attack I usually instantly take 1.5 mg, if I am able to start to get it under control before the xanax kicks in then I can usually keep it at that dose and will alleviate the panic attack after about an hour(the time it take s for me to really feel the xanax). But, sometimes, 15 minutes into teh panic attack it'll just keep getting worse. This is when I know I need to pop another 1.5, its rare I need anymore than that, but I hate having to take that much. Fortunately once I get the panic under control I then have plenty in my system and don't need to take another dose for longer than usual.

So anyone else find xanax takes a bit longer than most people claim to kick in? I wonder if a lot of people who will tell others on here it kicks in within 30 mins are just googling this info or if they have actual 1st hand knwoledge. Because my 1st hand knowledge is it takes more like 45-1 hr to feel it and 1-1.r hrs to give its full relief. I know it really doesn't peak until like 1-1.5 hrs, so its probably because I need it to hit its peak plasma levels to really help me, because I am use to having it in my system. Those who only take it when they have a panic attack will feel relief the second some of it starts to get into their blood stream. For me, that's not enough.

I find there are several benzos that really do kick in within like 15 minutes. Valium, for one, hits me within 15 minutes on an empty stomach and it hits hard, xanax seems to slowly take effect over the ourse of about 30-45 minutes, but Valium seems to hit peak levels within about 10 mins of it kicking in. Another that kicks in very quick and hits peak levels fast is etizolam(a thienodiazepine, technically speaking, but basically same thing as a benzo). That is very similar to Valium in its onset, it kicks in fast and hard. I find both of those to be much better for panic attacks, as well as recreational use (which is what I use them for mostly, mainly because I find them much more recreational and therefore abuseable than xanax, so I only get them in smallish portions and use them for fun).

Note: I am considering myself to be on an empty stomach when speaking of the times in this post, just an fyi in case someone wants to give me the sage wisdom that it will obviously hit faster on an empty stomach.

sublingual. stick it under your tongue and wait for it to dissolve, the taste is something truly foul with xanax, but it'll get the job done.

Last edited:
sublingual. stick it under your tongue and wait for it to dissolve, the taste is something truly foul with xanax, but it'll get the job done.
Speak for yourself, i love the taste of xanax lol. But yeah OP sublingual is the way to go

^This. Lots of people swear by it. I can't stand the taste myself..:\

Strangely, I never perceived any improvement in tmax using SL ROA as opposed to oral administration in respect to alprazolam....I never noticed any difference whatsoever. Though that doesn't seem to be the norm.

Of course, others within the class are a different case.....ever since my first experience using SL for clonazepam especially, I never went back to oral with that one. Plus those little fuckers actually DO taste good!

Something must be seriously wrong with ovo1024......lol you're alone there pal.
Hmm but this actually seems like a good opportunity for me to ask a question I have, undoubtedly you're the most appropriate and perfect person to ask around BL ovo- so what I'm wondering is what is the best way to properly season a fresh dog shit, and how exactly do you personally prefer and recommend it be prepared? If you could also give some details on your personal preferences of sides that best compliment the main dish? As for seasonings, I suppose one of your strongest preferences would be ground alprazolam tablets? I ask because the challenged guy in town is known to enjoy the taste of shit too. You'd probably get along.
Hahaha

Last edited:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3680603
Thirteen healthy volunteers received 1 mg of alprazolam, as the commercially available oral tablet, by sublingual and oral routes on two occasions in random sequence. Plasma alprazolam concentrations during 48 hours after each dose were measured by electron-capture gas-liquid chromatography. The peak plasma concentration after sublingual dosage was higher than after oral administration (17.3 vs. 14.9 ng/ml), and the time of peak concentration following sublingual administration was reached (1.17 vs. 1.73 hours after dose). However, these differences did not reach statistical significance. The mean total area under the plasma concentration curve for sublingual administration was slightly but not significantly larger than that following oral dosage (203.7 vs. 194.4 hr.ng/ml) and no significant differences between sublingual and oral dosage were found for elimination half-life (11.7 vs. 11.8 hours) or for clearance (86.4 vs. 92.4 ml/min). Thus, alprazolam absorption following sublingual administration is as rapid as after oral dosage on an empty stomach, and completeness of absorption is comparable. In clinical terms, sublingual and oral dosages of alprazolam are likely to be therapeutically equivalent. The sublingual route may be a useful alternative for panic disorder patients who cannot swallow pills or for those who do not have access to a liquid at the time of dosing.
So it might kick in a little bit faster via the sublingual route, but it really does taste extremely bitter and foul ime

I love the taste, but I guess it holds a certain nostalgia for me. It is bitter, but not rancid bitter like some substances. I can still remember the time I decided ibuprofen must have a nice flavour and thought I'd chew one... Not realising they were sugar coated... for a reason. Now that was rank, though I guess some people would/do feel the same about alprazolam.

With regards to alprazolam onset time, I find it averages about 15 minutes, give or take a few either side. And Ive certainly timed it enough times. I'm usually feeling peak effects by the +30 minute point, and well on the way before that.

Perhaps op has some kind of metabolic quirk or tolerance is playing a factor? I always make sure my throat is clear, let the tablet partially dissolve in my mouth, then swallow the partially dissolved tablet with about a 1/4 pint-ish of water. Hopefully my stomach is somewhat clear too.

Needless to say, this is the only drug I have this little slightly over the top ritual for, pretty much counting down the minutes until it kicks in. :|

Strangely, I never perceived any improvement in tmax using SL ROA as opposed to oral administration in respect to alprazolam....I never noticed any difference whatsoever. Of course, others are different case.....ever since my first experience using SL for clonazepam especially, I never went back to oral with that one. Plus those little tasties actually DO taste good!
Something must be seriously wrong with ovo1024......lol you're alone there pal.
Hmm but this actually seems like a good opportunity for me to ask a question I have, undoubtedly you're the most appropriate and perfect person to ask around BL ovo- so what I'm wondering is what is the best way to properly season a fresh dog shit, and how exactly do you personally prefer and recommend it be prepared? If you could also give some details on your personal preferences of sides that best compliment the main dish? As for seasonings, I suppose one of your strongest preferences would be ground alprazolam tablets? I ask because the challenged guy in town is known to enjoy the taste of shit too. You'd probably get along.
Hahaha

I also find little to no difference SLing alprazolam. I wish I had the willpower to stock up on etizolam and only use it for panic attacks, but I love the stuff in high doses, I tend to binge on it, like 1-2 weeks binges then take long breaks. Most recently I obtained some from a very reputable source. Though I found it a bit weaker than my last source...could just be a sort of perma-tolerance has set it, b/c it'd been 2 months since I last did any etiz. and stopping that time was not much a issue. They claimed it contained 292 mg. I managed to do it all in less than a week, taking doses between 7.5 and 15 mg at a time(was using a 5 mL oral syringe to dose what was a 3mg/mL PG solution). I did this all in a matter of 4 or 5 nights between Thurdays afternoon when I acquired it and by the following Wednesday morning, It was all gone(so less than a full week). I was taking between 40 and (one nights topped out at) around 90 mg, for a week (only my off days from work I abstained, which is 2 days a week, b/c I do 24 hours shifts - 2 of them/wk). That means it most likely was all done in a matter of 4 days of binge use, unless I got it on the WED and not THUR and then it was 5. Either way I was taking a shit ton, and that is on top of my regular 4 mg/day of Suboxone and 3 mg/day of alprazolam.

That^ is the main reason I asked about it kicking in ad taking away panic attacks quicker. I've always felt it takes much longer tha people claim to kick in, but I have had some of the worst panic attacks in recent memory. It was taking me 1.5-2.5 alp bars to calm me down.

I just don't think I could control my use of Etiz, because that stuff hits so quick and is blissful in its relaxing effects. I can also say that same for diazepam. Too bad Diaz is a damn expensive and not incredibbly easy to get your hands on like Alpraz. Honestly, I have NEVER found alprazolam to be very recreational, but I do find most other benzos that people take for "fun" as being recreational. I can remember before I was a big drug use that I loved taking like 1 2mg K-pin and smoking weed. The Spring Summer I got out of high school a buddy was selling loads of white Kpins, 1 of those, a 40 ounce some bud was the shit back then. At the time I also on occasion would get the old blue football 1 mg alprazolam. I don't remember them doing much but being really sedating. Like to the point where I was sitting on my bed one day on about 3 mg and probably had a few beers and smoked some weed, too, and I just passed out sitting up and went down and smacked my head off a bed post. That woke me up and I went ot a mirror to see I had a steady steam of blood running down my face from my forehead. Amazing to think that was almost 15 years ago now. Back then I also never found Diaz to be anything special. But, probably because I was getting 5 mg ones and thought a couple would do shit, now I know it takes 20-30 mg to really get a decent feel from Dia. Diaz and Etiz are probably my favorites as of now. I do have some c-LAM to try, but been to lazy to mix up the PG solution so I can dose it accurately. Maybe I'll like that, heard good thigs but still seems that Etiz is the go-to for RC benzos.

Well anyway, sorry for rambling, thanks for any answers.

I love the taste, but I guess it holds a certain nostalgia for me. It is bitter, but not rancid bitter like some substances. I can still remember the time I decided ibuprofen must have a nice flavour and thought I'd chew one... Not realising they were sugar coated... for a reason. Now that was rank, though I guess some people would/do feel the same about alprazolam.

With regards to alprazolam onset time, I find it averages about 15 minutes, give or take a few either side. And Ive certainly timed it enough times. I'm usually feeling peak effects by the +30 minute point, and well on the way before that.

Perhaps op has some kind of metabolic quirk or tolerance is playing a factor? I always make sure my throat is clear, let the tablet partially dissolve in my mouth, then swallow the partially dissolved tablet with about a 1/4 pint-ish of water. Hopefully my stomach is somewhat clear too.

Needless to say, this is the only drug I have this little slightly over the top ritual for, pretty much counting down the minutes until it kicks in. :|

I figure it probably is also some issue with how I metabolize it, everyone's liver enzymes work I bit different. Like how opiates never last for me was long as people will claim. It amazes me when someone is like 'I dont get sick for like 24 hours after a hit of [insert short acting opiate]' and I'm sitting there thinking "damn wish I could say then same, I get sick after like 6 hours and by 12 hours I feeling awful. Even Subs, I seem to metabolize much quicker than average person. I always find those to take a long time to hit me, too. Around an hour after placing it sublingual I will feel it annd it hit peak around 1.5 hrs. I usually need to redose in the afternoon (2mg in early AM/2 mg mid-afternoon...or 1mg mid-aft and 1 mg early night if i am doign something that night). I also wake up dope sick even after months of taking Sub reguarlarly at the same dose. I actually find its a good thing becuase otherwise I'd be perpetually constipated on Subs.

I usually take my xanax with it in the morning and again in the afternoon. After spitting or swallowing the nasty Sub/saliva mixture I usually take my Xan like right then(sometimes swallow the Xan with the saliva if, for some odd reason, I don't have a drink on hand). I find they both then kick in around the same time and it provides a decent buzz. When I;ve been on a Etiz binge(Btw, I have only done 3 binges like that, the most recent far more extreme than the 1st 2, hope learned lesson not to go that hard on a benzo even for a short period of time), I wait until about 1 hr after dosing the Sub to take that and it also kicks in hard right around the 1.25-1.5 hr mark and that is some great relaxation.

Last edited:
Take it sublingually. When I still used to get panic attacks, I would feel relief within 5 minutes and an almost complete abortion of the current panic attack in about 10 minutes.

Over time, my brain began to positively associate the uniquely bitter taste of alprazolam with sweet relief from panic and anxiety. Be careful with using moderate-large doses (0.5-1mg Xanax) of benzos for panic attacks, though, as some who become physically dependent on Xanax will notice that they will sometimes think themselves into a panic attack so they can "allow" themselves to take more of what the body/brain has started to become psychologically and physically dependent upon. They'll sometimes lean into the fledgling panicky thoughts and psyche themselves up more instead of sitting down and doing simple 5 sec in/2 sec hold/5 sec out breathing techniques to literally force your heart rate to return to normal while being mindful of what is happening and coming to terms with it.

Well if your tolerance is really high: that's why it's not working fast enough for you. You hit on the fast-acting ones in your post like Valium. I have no judgments about being addicted: I get it. Have you thought about this route: for routine, regular doses, use klonopin instead, and then when you feel an attack coming on, take that Valium? That way you can stop the acute panic when it's coming on, but with a slower acting benzo like klonopin in the background, you might not feel that Valium drop? I recently got off klonopin, so I will state this: benzodiazepines can be very dangerous. The withdrawal is not only intense but LONG. No judgment at all, but if you do have panic attacks, and you're popping a bunch extra b/c of addiction, slowly try to change that. Why? Because you need them when that panic comes on. You don't want to mess with them not working in those intense moments (I have them, I know), and getting hooked on them is shit you don't need. Dunno: quit recreational use of them and smoke weed instead? Hope that was helpful?

this is what I always do. Also - the actual taste of alpraz - especially at 2mg - is fine, so taste-mileage will vary depending on brand - but Xanax brand is definitely pretty foul.

My psychiatrist used to prescribe me Niravam. It's like Xanax but works within two minutes, taken sublingually. I took it for panic attacks. This was several years ago...there was no generic. I took it as prescribed and it helped me a lot.