• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sick for the thousandth time

d3athadone

Bluelighter
Uggh I don't even know why I'm writing this. Pray for me I guess. I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for any hope and will I have left. I'm not ok. Addiction is not OK. being persecuted for it is not ok. Fuck this draconian system we call civilized. Being sick alone again and again. Like the demon in the basement paying for his sins over and over again while a middle class normal couple goes on about their normal lives above. I feel like Golem or some shit. I've withdrawled so many times now. Im a fucking pro at this shit. Lately tho. being stuck inside the whole time has been driving me nuts. I wish I had a car and could just drive myself to the beach at night. Theres no way I'm getting on the bus looking like a yeti. There has got to be something better out there than drugs. drugs can't be the be all and end all. I've suffered so much. its time to put down the needle and walk away.

Question: I been using for like 3 weeks or something. maybe a month. I been shooting H for like 2 weeks. b4 that was just chipping with oxies and shit. I took 8mg suboxone like 2 days ago and am starting to kinda get sick now. How long is it going to take b4 I'm at my peek of withdrawls? I never took suboxone b4. Tanks

Last edited:
Ya I was on methadone for like 5 years. I completed the program. Went down to 1ml and got off. Its not a solution tho right. I just end up back here when the methadone is over. There is something right here that I have to deal with. Something right now. I want to feel. I don't want to be all dull on ORT. Trust me its tempting tho. This is it. This is where my fight is. Although I was thinking about hitting up a clinic and getting a dose to taper off with. Im a terrible junky tho because I want to quit so badly I never use for long, so I'm always fucking sick. If I was really hardcore about it like back in the day I would actually set up some legit hustle and have good connects and shit. Instead I just fuck around and use for a while til I'm outa funds or fed up and go sick. I mean I have been sick more than any junky I know. Even other junkies tell me I just gotta make a choice ffs. Im sitting on fence. Its been 10 years soon. Clearly detoxing isnt the problem. I never stay off for long. 4 months is the most. Last fall I even went back to school and shit. Things felt kinda normal for a while. Til I relapsed and had to drop out to go sick.

Its making me fucking crazy. I have so much to offer the world and I'm just watching it all get wasted. My whole twenties gone.

Hang in there d3athadone.. I'm in a similar position. Been fighting this for too long. I have some experience with sobriety. I first began this odyssey a little over 2yrs ago after coming off the methadone and benzos that I had been on for years. I felt absolutely wretched at first. I thought I would never start to feel normal but I slowly did and was able to get a yr under my belt before I relapsed. That particular relapse lasted approx. 6 months before I pulled myself up for another 7mths before I relapsed again. Since than it has been a long up hill battle with several stutter starts to get the motivation to start again.

Sobriety is difficult but I can tell you that it is so worth it. I too have trouble getting out and motivating but I force myself. Even if it is just for a walk. I refuse to lose this battle. I am only on day 1 which I don't even really count because I am using subs to taper. I only have 8mg of Sub and though I feel it will be enough I am debating buying another. I am going to use every tool at my disposal to keep my spirtits high and to strengthen my resolve. I will live..

^ cool man! I've probably detoxed 12x in the past year! My spirit is worn thin, but fuck do I ever want to survive! I really do believe there is life after addiction. Even after for months when I was going back to school I was feeling better. I was smoking pot like a mad man tho and I think that led me to relapse. If I could just get 6 months in without anything, that would be beautiful!

How long were you using and what? I just took the 8mg sub and split it in half over two days. Now its like day 3 or something since I've had anything and I'm not really that sick yet. I wish I was actually because the sooner I can go outside or even ride the damn subway the better off I'll be. I probably woulda bought another if it was easy, but I doubt it will help. Detox is just extremely shitty but its not the end of the world. It used to be this big spiritual bonanza for me and I would refer to as "feeling like I'm dying" and shit like that, but now after having done it over a hundred times I don't feel like I'm dying. I just feel dope sick. People make a big deal outa being sick and while it does suck there are many things out there that are worse. Even having food poisoning is worse physically ime. However the depression is what really drives people mad. Being brain sick sucks. And with food poisoning you just wake up one day fine. Not so with opiate withdrawl. Its a slow crawl to anything normal.

I seen this video of this girl with cystic fibrosis and she was so happy and bright but dealing with her illness. I thought damn yo must be nice to have an illness that doesn't destroy your ability to be happy. cuz I mean whats worse than that? I see people fight ilness all the time but they still have their mind and healthy brain to help them fight. Its a whole different thing when the thing you need to fight is the thing that is damaged. Thats probably the crux of why addiction is so damn tricky to understand.

Hang in there!! Tell me how your doing later :)

I started using heroin in the late 90's but didn't get physically addicted until OxyContin entered my life somewhere around 2000. I was on methadone and benzos on and off for the better part of a decade. The last 5yrs of my using before I first really tried to get sober I was sick the entire time. I would get a script for methadone and benzos but would run out 2 weeks early every month and would be scrambling to fill the gap with street pills and dope. It was a never ending cycle. Every month I would tell myself that I wouldn't run out early this month only to rinse repeat ad infititum

I too have been substituting with a lot of pot. I know I will have to choose a time to quit that as well. I started taking 5htp, b vitamins and I still have approx. 6mgs of suboxone left. I know the hard part starts once the acute withdrawal of the subs is over. It really is the anhedonia and depression that gets me. I have a lot of issues and insecurities to work on this time getting clean. There was a girl involved this time around and I have a lot of embarrassment issues and different feelings that I am dealing with. I have to pull myself up and become the man that I know I can be. Learning to live sober is challenging but I absolutely refuse to keep going in this addiction. keep coming back and we can help cheer each other on. Keeping you in my prayers d3athadone.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have never used H before but your words have really spoken to me. I am 25 and have had substance abuse issues going back to when I was 17. It all started with alcohol in high school. Then came the cigarettes and weed when I was 18. Next came the DXM and the Xanax. There were other substances that were used as well. I've never officially had a steady DOC, but many different substances have filled the role until I was on to the next one. Recently [within the last couple of months] I had gotten myself to the point where I would only drink once a week or so and smoke weed everyday. Along with cigarettes which I had been smoking daily since 18. This was progress from some of the harder stuff I used in the past.

Well the month of July was not a good one for me. The main reason I was only smoking and drinking was due to lack of availability of other stuff. Xanax and oxy became available to me and I was abusing both. Not at the same time though. And this was spread out over the month. I was also smoking more cigs and weed than usual. The other day my connection for both oxy and xanax [2 separate people] went dry at the same time. The oxy guy offered me suboxone, and I didn't know anything about it. I was in such a desperate state to get high that I bought 2 8mg strips. He said not to use the whole thing at once since I had only a slight opiate tolerance. I didn't listen. Puked my guts out for 7 straight hours the next day when I woke up. I had felt too shitty to consider using or drinking anything for the rest of that night. I believe I took a few drags of a cigarette and tossed it. That was the extent of it.

So that left me with nothing but one more 8 mg strip the next morning. I was out of cigarettes, weed, and had nothing else. No alcohol in the house nor anything else. Normally I would fiend for SOMETHING, and end up buying some beer, weed or at least cigarettes. And I was feeling better that day too so I didn't have any reason not to. Well I read up more about the subs, decided on a dosage of 2 mg and expected to get high. Because the night before when I had taken the 8mg I was high as a kite all night. I hadn't gotten sick until I woke up in the morning. Anyway, I cut the strip up and estimated the 2mg, took it, and ALL DAY I had ZERO cravings, for anything. For the first time in like 8 years I went a whole day without my brain nagging at me to ingest something or smoke a cigarette or weed. I was able to actually focus on my life. I felt like a human being again. Today has been day 2 of NOTHING. Well day 2 is over, technically I've reached day 3. When I go to sleep and wake up it will officially start day 3. I have about 3 mg of sub left to spread out during the day. But I will also face temptation again being that I have to go back to work tomorrow. So tomorrow is my true test. I NEVER make it a full shift without smoking weed or cigs, because all my coworkers do too. It's literally second nature at that job, and I'm a delivery driver so it's so easy to smoke while working. If I can make it through, so can you guys.

Maybe I'm just experiencing weird effects from the sub, but I swear it's not getting me high, simply removing the thoughts of substance from my mind completely. So it feels like I've been reborn because I haven't felt that way for even ONE DAY since I was 16. Once tomorrow is over, I'm terrified I'm gonna go back to my old ways. I don't know how much of this change is because of the subs or my willpower. Sorry for rambling. I'm mostly talking to myself. It really helps to get this all off my chest. I can completely relate to the helpless feelings you guys have experienced. Lets all do this together.

Sup broski!!

Sounds me like your not craving anything cuz your high. You just don't realize it cuz you have been high for so long on subs. Once they wear off, my guess is that you will feel a very strong parties over feeling. People like us who are always searching for something els to put into our brain because our own brains are not enough are looking for that thing that makes us feel normal. Thats what its all about. When I first started doing opiates, it wasn't because I wanted to be a big junkie or wanted to party or anything. It was all about just feeling normal. Your on a super slippery slope and just at the beginning of your opiate adventure. You have the choice to just cut this shit off at the bud right now. Oh god what I would do to go back in time and beat the ever living shit out of my 20 year old self. In a way you have that opportunity now. I am telling you as the future version of yourself to cut that shit out! It leads nowhere good and as much as it makes you feel like everything is fine in the world. Its not. We are not different. We use for the same reasons. I've seen it a thousand times. Us addicts are all alike. Im telling you homie that its not your willpower. I'm sorry to say man. Its the opiates. Thats why we all get addicted. The hard truth is that you gotta actually fix your problems or you will end up like me sick as fuck with a raging needle addiction. You can't jst fix em with opiates. If not you just have to fix them later when your older and its harder and there is less help. For you tho if u just starting now you gonna be in your late 30's when you finding will to quit. 5 years of opiate abuse just flies by. Then factor in after 5 years you wanna quit but cant. Average is ten years for people who beat opiate addiction.

Sorry Im being preachy lol. I just want you to be ok. In a way your that 20 year old self I can't travel back in time and slap silly. :) Just cut it out man. You got enough problems with the weed and cigs and xany and shit. I can totally relate to you tho man. You remind me of a good friend of mine in your use. He used whatever he could get his hands on for a long ass time until opiates finally kicked the shit out of him. Hes one of my best friends and just recently he OD in his apartment. Luckily he lived but he woke up covered in vomit and his own shit and couldnt walk. He had to call and ambulance. They said he almost lost his leg from like ODing on it or some shit. Some kind of nerve damage. SO he almost lost his leg and life. Just b4 this happened he shared a spoon with some dumb fuck and was shitting bricks that he had HIV cuz that guys junky room mate had HIV. Turns out my friend just got Hep C. We were relieved by that. lol. Just a little hep C. Its a fuckin shitty life and god I want out. Your right bro lets all do this together! I'm running right now. Maybe I can run so far that my tethers snap this time. I'm gonna really try. Its scary tho cuz I know ive really tried a lot of times. This time Im going to do things differently though.

My withdrawls are not really that bad. I don't know whats going on. Maybe they just wont come. Last time I WD I took like a bunch of methadone as my last opiate and it hella helped. I just kept waiting to get really sick and never did. It tripped me right out. Thats why I saved this sub. I was hoping it would do the same thing. Fingers crossed!!!

dam man, your posts remind me of me a lot... i wasted my twenties just like you, the best years of our lives. While my old "friends" are now all in their careers, some getting married, i see their shit on Facebook... all while I'm rotting away on suboxone.

I feel like i was left behind, from all the other people my age, while everyone i knew was prospering, going off to europe and living life, i was shooting dope alone in my parents basement and in parking lots. I feel like emotionaly and intellectually stunted also, idk maybe thats just me but i used well through my teenage years

so instead of doing what your doing being on the fence between not giving a shit about using/ dying, not committing yourself to the lifestyle i get it... what i did was give up and went on ORT (again). I came to realize that id rather just give up and be on subs forever than be miserable off dope.. i just couldn't do it anymore.

give up the fight man, get back on ORT- my advice at least

^ I'm almost there man. I just see my friend so miserable on it and he wants off and I remember how badly I wanted off when I was on it so like whats the fuckin point. I relate hard with the whole seeing your friends on FB and shit. I have a pretty good attitude about it tho. I'm just happy somebody is happy. I mean how much would it suck if they were miserable too? lol. My twenties werent a complete waste. I learned a bunch of shit. My spirit deepened a lot. I got a lot of compassion and empathy and shit like that. Im a pretty awake person in many ways. BUt ya I was shooting up in mcdonalds bathrooms and shit for my twenties. oh and the 1 chck I dated was a complete fucking nut. You gotta be nuts to date a junky in active use. I wont even bother with girls right now cuz I figure any one that will take me as is is probably more nuts than me lol. I take some comfort knowing that there is a whole wack of people out there that havnt experienced shit too. Lots of people have illness and shit and miss out on stuff. We are together in that.

I'm close man. I might have to go back on ORT. I was at least stable back then. Im giving it a shot right now though. <3

Hey d3athadone... i just have a question for you. When you were on methadone for 5 years then tapered down to 1mg how bad were the WDs when you stopped. I'm dealing with that now. Been in the clinic 6 years. Down to 12mg. I'm scared I won't be able to handle the WD. Any advice?

Also I can relate to a lot of what you guys are saying. I have been clean off heroin for 6 years but I'm worried once I get off I might relapse but I sure as hell don't want to be stuck in the clinic the rest of my life.

Hi, d3thadone...have you tried any kind of behavioral rehab program (instead of or in addition to ORT)? Of course many rehabs suck. But personally, I was on a treadmill like what you've described for several years until I happened to wind up in an intensive outpatient rehab program (IOP) through a local hospital. It was like the IOP was great or anything. But what it did for me was help me realize that I was never going to be able to stop shooting dope if I tried to quit alone. In the end, I had a good counselor in the program who supported me for many months. She and the other counselors also helped me identify people in my life who I could lean on while I was cleaning up. It was still no fun, and still required several relapses along the way...but that program was a big turning point.

Any thoughts on whether that kind of thing might appeal to you?

^ I'm almost there man. I just see my friend so miserable on it and he wants off and I remember how badly I wanted off when I was on it so like whats the fuckin point. I relate hard with the whole seeing your friends on FB and shit. I have a pretty good attitude about it tho. I'm just happy somebody is happy. I mean how much would it suck if they were miserable too? lol. My twenties werent a complete waste. I learned a bunch of shit. My spirit deepened a lot. I got a lot of compassion and empathy and shit like that. Im a pretty awake person in many ways. BUt ya I was shooting up in mcdonalds bathrooms and shit for my twenties. oh and the 1 chck I dated was a complete fucking nut. You gotta be nuts to date a junky in active use. I wont even bother with girls right now cuz I figure any one that will take me as is is probably more nuts than me lol. I take some comfort knowing that there is a whole wack of people out there that havnt experienced shit too. Lots of people have illness and shit and miss out on stuff. We are together in that.

I'm close man. I might have to go back on ORT. I was at least stable back then. Im giving it a shot right now though. <3

Sounds like you'd benefit most from a period back on ORT and some kind of outpatient (not inpatient) treatment, along with trying other in concert with professional treatment. University hospitals are generally the best place to seek this out (if not their actual program one they are officially affiliated with).

The ORT will help you stabilize regarding the drug/opioid use. It will also help you stabilize your mood a bit. During that time working on learning new tools and skills, and then actually employing them in your day to day lifestyle, will position you such that you'll have far more resources enabling you to get away from opioids more permanently.

Hi, d3thadone...have you tried any kind of behavioral rehab program (instead of or in addition to ORT)? Of course many rehabs suck. But personally, I was on a treadmill like what you've described for several years until I happened to wind up in an intensive outpatient rehab program (IOP) through a local hospital. It was like the IOP was great or anything. But what it did for me was help me realize that I was never going to be able to stop shooting dope if I tried to quit alone. In the end, I had a good counselor in the program who supported me for many months. She and the other counselors also helped me identify people in my life who I could lean on while I was cleaning up. It was still no fun, and still required several relapses along the way...but that program was a big turning point.

Any thoughts on whether that kind of thing might appeal to you?

Hell yes. Im tired of doing this shit alone. Its dumb. Every other illness gets help. Why not mine? Partly because I'm stubborn and partly because good help for addiction is hard to come by. I finally got a therapist. Im supposed to see her on the tenth but I don't know if thats going to happen now. I definitely need help though. This is madness. I know I have so much to offer and that if I could get clean, underneath all this is a beautiful person.

On a plus note I'm not really sick. I dunno wtf happened. SO weird. I been shooting up for two weeks and get as sick as I have b4 when only shooting up for 3 days? Wtfak?? Pretty sweet neway. I've been waiting and waiting but its not coming. I woke up today feeling better than yesterday and havnt missed sleep. SO WEIRD

Hey d3athadone... i just have a question for you. When you were on methadone for 5 years then tapered down to 1mg how bad were the WDs when you stopped. I'm dealing with that now. Been in the clinic 6 years. Down to 12mg. I'm scared I won't be able to handle the WD. Any advice?

Also I can relate to a lot of what you guys are saying. I have been clean off heroin for 6 years but I'm worried once I get off I might relapse but I sure as hell don't want to be stuck in the clinic the rest of my life.

It wasnt too bad. I was zonked had chills and couldnt sleep properly. Felt like coming off a SSRI more than opiate withdrawl. I didnt have a lot of energy at first. I only made it two months tho so I would suggest being super ready when you do stop!

I'm one of those people that wasted there 20's and early 30's but all that doesn't matter anymore because there is and will always ever be just one moment which is now. I spent a little bit of time in reflection this morning, which I don't often do because I generally try to focus on solutions but in taking the time I was able to come to terms with all the time I missed. I was able to look back on my old self in a forgiving manner, which means not being so hard on myself. I have a lot of fears but I am excited about facing some of these fears head on. I know I have to be proactive because I am going to face the challenges of PAWS. I anticipate it.. I have been here before. Having gone through the cycles before I am prepared and strengthened by my own personal experience of healing.

Life has been full of so many highs and lows over the last 2yrs and learning to face life with a clear(ever healing) mind has been a challenge but I am excited to discover who I truly am. I want to experience life in all it's raw emotional complexities. I want life and all that that entails.. the good the bad and the ugly.. I know that boredom will be a future obstacle but I also know that it is up to me to fill the void. Discover things I enjoy and to constantly challenge my conception of myself.. Life is what we make of it... Everybody is responsible for their own happiness.. so better get up get out and do something. Life doesn't come to those stuck on the couch in a television coma. LOve you guys and hope every one is well and sailing the good ship... Somni

Last edited:
Hell yes. Im tired of doing this shit alone. Its dumb. Every other illness gets help. Why not mine? Partly because I'm stubborn and partly because good help for addiction is hard to come by. I finally got a therapist. Im supposed to see her on the tenth but I don't know if thats going to happen now. I definitely need help though. This is madness. I know I have so much to offer and that if I could get clean, underneath all this is a beautiful person.

Then the trick is going to be finding a good source of help. Do you live in the US? If so (and probably if not; I'm just not experienced elsewhere), I would recommend seeing if any of the hospitals in your area have an addiction recovery department, or something similar to that.

I suppose it would be valuable to have a voice from the complete abstinence side, so here goes. 4 years 11 months and 9 days without a substance to change the way I feel. It is possible...even for the ones who are grinding away on maintenance. Either I have been one lucky ass mf'er for the past nearly 5 years OR life without drugs is amazing. That beauty doesn't come without a cost though. That cost is: be willing to not use a day at a time, break out of my isolation (no matter how uncomfortable it feels at times), find spirituality (mostly by thoroughly examining what my life looked like when it was completely devoid of spirituality), and help others. It means doing the opposite of what my thinking says in most cases. I didn't crawl through your window and steal your stuff coming out of the womb. I learned that over a succession of time and progressively worse behavior. The first time I lied I was not a liar, but after a succession of lying, it became who I was. Getting better follows the same path. If I don't use for a long enough period even if my thinking is to use I eventually become a person who does not use. If I tell the truth long enough in spite of my lying head, I become truthful. I am done trying to THINK my way out of situations. I did that for 36 years. That ended me up in methadone lines and at sub doctors and getting jammed in the back of the hand with ivs in emergency rooms because they hated seeing guys like me. I take actions today, many of which are not my idea. That is why I have a group of recovering addicts that I surround myself with. I have always been a fantastic life manager...as long as it was your life that I was attempting to manage. Find some life managers and follow their lead...

dude, you've got it made. I mean not really, but right now you're CLEAN! You're not sick, so all opiates are out of your system. Now what you need to do is find reasons NOT to use again. I know it's a huge feat, but for real, all you have to do to get your life on track is not use opiates again. That's it. It's not an easy thing to do, but it's that simple.
Okay so you're clean now. You're not sick. Start improving yourself now. Like right now. You've mentioned a couple times you have so much to offer. Whatever it is you feel you have to offer the world, start taking those steps right now. Today. Not next week. Today.
And no offense but you gotta get new friends. Guys sharing IV supplies and contracting hep C need to be out of your life like yesterday. I know they might be your best friend and it's hard. even if you grew up together, they need be nothing but a memory in your life. My two best friends from high school, also heroin addicts who are both clean right now, but I still don't talk to them because we've used opiates together since we were 15. All our memories are shrouded in drug use, and even though all 3 of us are clean (me and one of them use suboxone, the other one is completely clean off everything) I think we're all better off apart from each other. I just saw one of them for the first time in 4 years. the last time I saw him we were shooting heroin together, then he went to jail and was forced to detox in jail and hasn't used since he got out. Im clean now too, so we got together and had a couple drinks, and we had a good time catching up, but we didn't make plans to do it again or anything. And of course old dealers and his girlfriend that died of an overdose were topics of conversation.
To really get clean and stay clean you gotta have clean friends. In my opinion you should find friends who have never been addicted to opiates. That way opiates are never even a topic of conversation. Sure, they will never fully understand that opiate addict side of you, but you should be putting that part of your life behind you now. It's nice knowing opiates aren't ever going to come up in everyday conversation.
This is just what has worked for me, but it's worked really well. I don't have anyone in my life that has anything to do with opiates (besides who I get my suboxone from) and I think that's been crucial to my success.

^ normally I would agree with you about the friends thing but this is his first relapse in a year and hes back on track. We havnt used together in about 5 years. I actually have clean friends. Im mostly a solo dolo junky. I managed to keep my good friends over the years. I dont have many, but the ones I do haev are solid supportive and understanding. Im not comletely out of the woods yet. Im still sick its just a walk in the park compared to many others. Im sleeping, eating, dont have RLS etc. Just the sweats and energy loss and feel like hiding til I stop sweating.

Your rihgt tho I should be puttting it behind me. I really feel like doing that right now. I wanna work as a bartender. Im very social and thrive off of it. I need the money. I need to get laid. I need some structure. Also I don't drink so its not a problem that way. As long as its not a dive bar I should be good.

''Then the trick is going to be finding a good source of help. Do you live in the US? If so (and probably if not; I'm just not experienced elsewhere), I would recommend seeing if any of the hospitals in your area have an addiction recovery department, or something similar to that.''

I live in Toronto Canada. I actually have a family doctor at one of the best health centers for addicts in the country. They have a works in the freakin building. I made an appointment for the therapist there but I thnk Im going to miss it. I have everything I need to do this really. There is some buddhist style addiction group I can go to. I got the address and everything. I really have a lot going for me if I think about it. I just need help cutting this crap out so I can be a success story. I know where this life leads. Its bullshit. I've had a crazy life and a lot of it has been amazing and beautiful but a lot of it was pretty terrorizing and I let the trauma tear me to pieces when I was 20 years old and it just blew way the fuck out of control. Now every time I get clean Im so isolated and retarded about life that I do nothing until I relapse again. I never have energy when Im sober. I guess I just gotta push through that shit this time. Suck it up.