• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Adderall Withdrawal Experiences

RaineSky

Greenlighter
I've been taking Adderall, with a prescription and not abusing it, for several years now. I'm considering coming off of it for the fact that a lot of things I've been dealing with for a while seem to be side effects from the adderall that I didn't realize.
I came off my Fentanyl patch at the beginning of the year after 2 years of being stuck on it. After reading through many threads of others experience coming off them, I didn't have that bad of a time.
So, I wanted to get any advice on what to do or not to do that made it more bearable, from everyone else's personal experience.

Congrats on your decision to work on improving your health and quality of life! And a big hearty welcome to BL RaineSky!

What unpleasant side effects that are making you consider getting off? In all their shite, juicy detail (that you're comfortable sharing I mean) pease ;)

The good news is getting off amphetamine salts is far more managible for most than coming off an opioid. In a lot of ways it's more about healthy lifestyle changes than dealing with withdrawal per se.

Do you currently take any other medications, supplements or substances?

If you're interested we have another user who goes by the handle zephyr. They have a lot of experience coming of methamp, which is a lot like what you're doing coming off Adderall, and regularly give great feedback. You might want to consider shooting them a PM about this too (very supportive too, although I think they might be busy focusing on Non-BL stuff ATM).

The side effects are mostly just the normal things like blood pressure, aggression, except for the occasional hallucinations that I just recently learned could come from the adderall, not that I've told anyone about them ? everyone knows I'm weird enough without having to add that. I also didn't realize that my increased number of UTIs and kidney problems could be from it also, since I never had any real problem before.
Adderall is the only medicine I take on a regular basis anymore. I will occasionally take herbal supplements but I rarely remember to take them.

I found amphetamines are easy to quit using. It's possible you won't go through withdrawal.

I guess everyones experience is different. When I used meth-after getting sleep, eating and smoking s little weed (back when smoking weed didnt make me paranoid) , other than muscle soreness from being awake for days I was ok.

However, I've witnessed someone that injects meth having to quit for a urine test. It was pass or get locked up for 6mos.

And, for them, it was pretty horrible. They could hardly get out of bed to go to the bathroom. Extreme weakness, exhaustion. Of course, it wasnt like opiate w/d physically But, psychologically they were struggling horribly. It was far from easy. But were talking IV use.

I would suggest benzos,Neurontin (gabapentin), Pregablin (Lyrica)to help soften the landing. On a few occasions, the person Im referring to has taken pregablin and it helped ...alot. I would say it makes all the difference.

Gabapentin was a life saver when I came off the Fentanyl patch. Probably should have some on "stand by" just in case.

Gabapentin is like this wonder withdrawal pillow. And works as well for stims as opiates

I don't know much about coming off consistent adderall use - I do know that for about a month one time I was using adderall in combination with a lot of other stimulants (coke/meth/etc..every day, all day.)
When I stopped I had pretty bad headaches and slept for about 3 days. Coupled with some moderate to severe anxiety. Overall it wasn't the worst thing - no where near trying to kick opiates -_-
I think you should be a-ok if you keep your goal in mind. Exercise, rest, and lots of water. Sounds simple but it does work! Good luck!