• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Daytime anti-histamines?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I know there's this speculation about how the H receptors will desensitize etc - thus the H blockers become less sedating.

I've never found that.
Thankfully in one sense as, they remain to be effective sleep aids.

However - we're familiar with Mirtazapine, a strong anti-histamine; normally taken at bed time, right?

Is sister compound, Mianserin - I take 30 mg at bed time.
Any more than that and it become activating, so I'll sleep about 3 hours, then wide awake.

However, it appears the minimum effective dose is, at least 45 mg.

Dilemma.

So - I'm thinking, take 30 mg at night as usual.

Then, in the morning, take another 10, or maybe 15 mg.

But I'm curious as to how potent its sedative effect will be at that dose.
30 mg at night puts me out - but, I gotta factor that's also due to being at the end of a day, being already tired etc.

If it was the morning and I was a little fresher, perhaps not?

Any insights here?

30 mg mianserin is the dose that knocks me out.
More than that, it seems to disturb my sleep due to NA activation.

I tried 15 mg last night, and it didn't put me asleep - so I added another 15 mg, and slept.

Which gave me confidence that, daytime, 15 mg should not knock me out.

So - this morning, I dosed 15 mg mianserin with 8 my reboxetine - and I was just fine.

Previously - 45 mg mianserin with 8 mg reboxetine yielded, for a short period, very beneficial effect.
But I had to reduce the dose quickly from 45 mg mianserin at night, due to high sleep disturbance.

Having split the dose - my hope is now, to maintain the benefit, whilst mitigate the side effect.

The manufacturer recommends no more than 30 mg mianserin be taken at any one time, anyways - something which I never paid attention to.
But now I'm thinking that they knew what they were talking about.

We'll see what happens.