• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox I don't want to do this anymore. (Cocaine)

beebox

Bluelighter
Natural Detoxes for Cocaine?

Well, to put it short, I kind of overdid it with my last cocaine binge. Right now I just want to cleanse it from my system completely and rid my body of all of its toxins. It isn't like I have to pass some kind of drug test or anything. I'm doing this for me, so I can feel better, you know? Does anyone know any good natural detoxes for cocaine for the body? Has anyone ever done anything like this, personally? Any suggestions and advice are welcomed!

What do you mean by natural detox? Sounds like you'd might enjoy the purge associated with something like kambo, but you'd probably get similarly "refreshing" effects from finding yourself some truly spicy Thai food to eat (like an intensely spicy meal that stimulates intense mucus production and sweating and is somewhat painful is unpleasant in much the same way as kambo - kambo just more so, both in terms of restorative power and the initial discomfort). Some sort of peptide therapy might be just what the doctor ordered though. Really the bottom line though is...

Sleep, exercise, diet, meditation and some kind of body work (yoga, massage, tai chi, xigong, etc) to be the best truly natural remedies. And having fun without using coke. That is probably #1.

If you have the time, going on a weeklong meditation/mindfulness retreat would undoubtably also be just what you're looking for (that can be difficult for many, but IME drug users benefit tremendously from such an experience).

Consider starting a thread in SL, you might find the support helpful even if you aren't interested in sobriety per se, as most people tend to think of the word (sobriety is, to me, first and foremost a state of mind - it only sometimes has to do with drug use, particularly of the harmful variety; if you interested in that kinda idea about sobriety SL is for you :) but no pressure, OD is great too!).

Thank you so much for your input!

First of all, Thai food sounds so good right now! lol Maybe I'll get that for lunch tomorrow!

I just did some reading about Kambo and it sounds very interesting! It's expensive, but it seems like it might be worth it. I'm all about natural/holistic remedies and treatments. I just don't want to be locked up in a hospital bed, you know? I want to do this myself because I believe that I can and natural seems the way to go.

I would love to go on a mindfulness retreat. I do have the time right now...it isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

What type of diet? To be honest, I eat once a day, if that. When I'm using I don't eat at all. I need to implement a proper food regiment in my life. Perhaps getting a nutritionist is a good idea?

I'm definitely going to check out SL. I've been going on like this for far too long, and while I have many questions about cocaine still, I have many more about sobriety and the road to sobriety. I'm just tired, if that makes sense.

Thanks again, so so much.

Totally makes sense to me, the binging getting old I mean. I'm very familiar with those feelings.

Check out the MBHR link in my sig. I have a number of great retreat centers listed, although it's a little biased to the West coast US. Generally it's better to plan ahead for a retreat as they tend to fill up fast, but it's definitely worth looking into. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about this. What part of the world are you located in?

Working with a nutritionist sounds like it would really be helpful for you. Do you eat any snacks or just the one meal? What does you if limited diet consist of normally?

Sounds like you're in the market for lifestyle change focused on your entire wellbeing. Mindfulness programs can be really great for that, and working with approach professionals you get alone with will be invaluable.

Even if you only eat once or twice (as I do) a day, it's still possible to maintain your nutritional needs. Generally three meals is a good isea for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean you can't start working on improving your dietary health now.

I have been using cocaine pretty normally for over a year, now. And I'm so, so tired. When I first starting using, even at its frequency, it felt GOOD. I had fun! I romanticized the hell out of it, sure. Even when I knew I had developed a problem, I was still taking it to yes, feed my addiction, but to also feel that high that I was still feeling even after continuous and prolonged use.

I slammed cocaine for the first time this-past April, the day before Easter. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced before. I'd done crack before, but even this was different. It felt like the high I had missed for so long was returning to me, and every attempt at the same euphoria following that has proven to be futile. Now I am only serving the addiction. I don't get the euphoria or any of the "good" qualities of doing cocaine. I get anxiety, paranoia, my heart races, I sweat, I pace the floor. Nothing about it is fun or enjoyable, and I'm just so tired.

I am three days sober and three days into a detox. I binged on two grams of cocaine which lasted two days. The first day was terrible. I took an entire gram within two hours. I didn't even intend to take that much that fast. I've NEVER taken that much that fast before. And despite me telling myself to slow down, I didn't listen. I was high out of my mind. The only thing I could think to do was to lie down in the fetal position on my bed. I did so for seven hours. I didn't come down for seven hours. It wasn't until later that I found out that particular bag was cut with meth. "It's still good shit" my dealer texted back. Yeah, thanks, asshole. I laid in my bed shaking, my heart racing and hurting, chills and sweats throughout my body. I toyed with the idea of telling my parents that I needed to go to the hospital, but instead I was too proud. I just laid there and I thought "This is how I die."

The next day I felt okay. My chest was sore and my arm was hurting, but that went away come 10pm. Being an addict, of course I did the second bag. It was different from the first. Less intense. I made it last longer - about seven or eight hours, and I was able to go to sleep about an hour after my last line. I woke up the next morning feeling okay, actually, just a bit weak, hungry, and tired.

For the last three days I have been walking around extremely lightheaded. My heart has been fluttering off and on. I'm cold, then hot, then cold, then hot again. I'm either excessively sleepy or wide awake. My body feels tired, my mind feels tired. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to feel good. I don't want to be addicted anymore. I feel like I could run out of my skin to escape this demon.

I shall. It might be great to plan something like that. I've never been to the West Coast, and now might be just the right time for me - or some time in the near future. I'm in Michigan! All the way on the other side, haha.

Sometimes I'll eat some fruit for a snack. For my one meal (usually dinner) I have a protein, a starch, and a veggie.

You're absolutely right, re: a lifestyle change focused on my entire wellbeing. I have a few meditation apps that I love that I've kind of abandoned over the last several months for one reason or another. But I want to delve deeper into mindfulness. I want to feel a positive change for once in my life.

Exactly. I could work up to three meals a day. I have a lot of body image issues which play a huge role in my dietary habits. Cocaine did, as well. Over the last year my ED and cocaine went hand-in-hand.

This feels more like a SL thread now, haha. Could you move it there?

Today I am incredibly irritable. Everything is either annoying me or making me angry. Physically, however, today is the first day I don't feel terribly weak, so that's something.

Are you able to identify what is disregulating you?

Have you ever tried using the acronym HALT? Whenever you're feeling irritable or agitated or disregulated, the idea is to ask yourself if you're also/really just hungry, angry, lonely or tired, and then taking the appropriate action to remedy your situation.

Try eating something, taking a cat nap or just laying down for a while somewhere comfy, or try reaching out to connect with someone (ideally IRL but BL is great for that too) or if you're just frustrated/angry and need to take a break from whatever is causing you those feelings.

Yes, I have personally battled with cocaine use for many years. What happens is you deplete yourself from serotonin as well as dopamine so a couple of days later you will want to use again a lot more. Typically the next day it is normal to be set on quitting, but the urge will come a couple of days later to use. It is important to drink a lot of orange juice and speak to your doctor about using an SSRI (depressant) short term while you undergo the withdrawal.

Today I am incredibly irritable. Everything is either annoying me or making me angry. Physically, however, today is the first day I don't feel terribly weak, so that's something.

That's an awful feeling. But maybe it would help to keep in mind that this is (at least metaphorically) a part of your detox...and it's very literally part of your recovery. The intense emotions of early recovery are just brutal. TPD's suggestions (eating well, getting plenty of rest) are spot on...the HALTs are so important, especially early on in recovery. But it's also very likely that your brain is trying to adapt to life without coke, and for a while that's going to be an intense process. I always found that doing lots of introspection during times like this is helpful...lots of writing (in a journal, on BL, wherever), lots of meditation. Of course, eventually we also need to get a break, in which case I move to lots of TV ;)

Seeing a doctor about some medication like an appropriate antidepressant may be a good idea, however you'd probably not notice much benefit for a couple weeks, so it's not something to help with withdrawal so much as PAWS/helping to support your general mental health as you work on your other challenges. Might help with anxiety, which I know had a bit to do with why I used to love coke (after ODing on it, I don't love it so much).

Are you able to identify what is disregulating you?

Have you ever tried using the acronym HALT? Whenever you're feeling irritable or agitated or disregulated, the idea is to ask yourself if you're also/really just hungry, angry, lonely or tired, and then taking the appropriate action to remedy your situation.

Try eating something, taking a cat nap or just laying down for a while somewhere comfy, or try reaching out to connect with someone (ideally IRL but BL is great for that too) or if you're just frustrated/angry and need to take a break from whatever is causing you those feelings.

I was experiencing a bit of cabin fever yesterday as well as frustration with my father, but it passed pretty quickly after posting this. I went for a walk and cleared my head and it helped quite a bit.

HALT. I'd forgotten all about it! I'm going to have to remind myself of this the next time I'm feeling this way.

Thank you so much for the reply. <3

Yes, I have personally battled with cocaine use for many years. What happens is you deplete yourself from serotonin as well as dopamine so a couple of days later you will want to use again a lot more. Typically the next day it is normal to be set on quitting, but the urge will come a couple of days later to use. It is important to drink a lot of orange juice and speak to your doctor about using an SSRI (depressant) short term while you undergo the withdrawal.

I've been drinking so much juice the last three days! It's like I just want to cleanse my system so I bought a bunch of raw juices from Beyond. They're delicious!

I definitely need to get in with both my psychiatrist and my general practitioner. On top of the cocaine withdrawals, I've been without my Bipolar and Anxiety meds for nearly a month, now, because I had to quickly move from my ex-boyfriend's house back with my parents due to some shit that went down. So I'm in between the doctor I had and finding a new one closer to where I am now.

That's an awful feeling. But maybe it would help to keep in mind that this is (at least metaphorically) a part of your detox...and it's very literally part of your recovery. The intense emotions of early recovery are just brutal. TPD's suggestions (eating well, getting plenty of rest) are spot on...the HALTs are so important, especially early on in recovery. But it's also very likely that your brain is trying to adapt to life without coke, and for a while that's going to be an intense process. I always found that doing lots of introspection during times like this is helpful...lots of writing (in a journal, on BL, wherever), lots of meditation. Of course, eventually we also need to get a break, in which case I move to lots of TV ;)

Thank you so much for the advice and the input. I LOVE writing and I've been neglecting it lately, so I think tonight I'm going to dive back into it. It's my biggest passion and I've just been ignoring it lately. Meditation sounds amazing. At night I've been falling asleep listening to various sounds in the Deep Relax app. So fun.

Seeing a doctor about some medication like an appropriate antidepressant may be a good idea, however you'd probably not notice much benefit for a couple weeks, so it's not something to help with withdrawal so much as PAWS/helping to support your general mental health as you work on your other challenges. Might help with anxiety, which I know had a bit to do with why I used to love coke (after ODing on it, I don't love it so much).

Anxiety is one of the biggest battles I face. I'm used to taking Xanax, but like I was telling Kawasaki, I've been without my meds for almost a month.

I hear that. This is the first time I actually feel angry at my addiction. In the past I always felt like I had to serve it. Like I owed it something. Like I had to please it. After my last coke binge, however, I just feel disgusted and angry. I take anger as a good sign.

I've been drinking so much juice the last three days! It's like I just want to cleanse my system so I bought a bunch of raw juices from Beyond. They're delicious!

I definitely need to get in with both my psychiatrist and my general practitioner. On top of the cocaine withdrawals, I've been without my Bipolar and Anxiety meds for nearly a month, now, because I had to quickly move from my ex-boyfriend's house back with my parents due to some shit that went down. So I'm in between the doctor I had and finding a new one closer to where I am now.

Why have you been without your medication? I know from personal experience cocaine cessation is faaar easier to deal with when I'm receiving the appropriate support with my mental health concerns (anxiety, depression, ptsd).

I'm feeling really good today! Minimal withdrawal side effects. I got out of the house and ran errands, went to the mall, took a drive, listened to music. It was really nice. I also got a phone call for a job interview which I have on Thursday! Tomorrow I'm going to a ballgame with my parents. All of a sudden I feel like I have a lot to look forward to.