• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health My parents are driving me to suicide.

Here's what I can tell you. From your post I see the words "parents" and I can tell you are still at Phase 1 of life. The phase where the people who gave birth to you are the source of a lot of your misery and anger. I know all too well what it is like to be at that phase of life and feeling hopeless and feeling judged and put into a box so to speak. Trust me, when you get to my phase when you are in early 30's you will be looking back at yourself and feeling so happy that you got out of that situation and become a totally independant human being. Free to make up your own reality and make your own home with rules that fit your specific needs. Substance abuse and recovery can make us feel hopeless especially at a young age. You will get through this part of your life and have insights into life that most others don't have due to your experiences whether good or bad.

cj- hey man, sorry, I didn't mean to just drop off, I actually tried a couple times to write out messages, but I just wasn't really straight enough to do so the majority of the time, kept rambling off and saying stupid shit, after so much trying, decided I probably wasn't straight enough to be of much help or worth/value so I just decided it was best to set it aside awhile.

I've still gotta type our full responses, but I'll throw a couple into here quick that caught my eye and mind fast.

Yes, I'm very well educated on PTSD (and a decent bit of much of MH actually), not only through my own educational knowledge, but also because yes, it is a personal diagnosis- one of multiple though.....ha. Fuck my life. Lucky me.....

Yeah, you are clearly affected yourself....and for very good reason, according to your tellings of personal experiences......you've certainly some very terrible things that so many have unbelievable difficulty in working through....I'm reminded of this Vice show, it's fairly new and called The Therapist.....ever seen or heard of it? There's a specific episode I have in mind that may be of particular interest to you....maybe anyway.

May I ask also, you say you've had extensive experience and failure in dealing with mental health professionals.....were you particular on gender?
And what kinds of non-pharmacological approaches were attempted?
And maybe you just haven't found a decent one yet....I personally don't have as much experience in jumping around between doctors mostly for the fact that I was absolutely objected to the idea for the longest time (or even admitting something was wrong for that matter, but even after that, I still refused to do the whole thing for quite some time.....) because the whole thing brought back far too much and so I held a lot of misplaced disdain for the MH field and the professionals within it and wrongfully despised both....well, I know I was wrong now and that it was simply an effect of something else ya know...figured that out myself.
Anyway, as I was saying, I don't have as much experience in bouncing around providers as you do, but I still have experienced enough to know that a good provider is hard to come by. But you also gotta realize too that's it's not always as simple an evaluation of good/bad, there's lots of factors, but one of the most important is compatibility. It's always best to find someone good, that you can mesh with, and they're compatible with you AND your specific needs. I will say though, that for me personally, on the psychology side, I have been happy with mine for a few years now and I've almost been forced to leave and go elsewhere a couple times due to the financial end changing on me......but I truly didn't feel I could see anyone else because I had actually built such a rapport and comfort with this one and they actually seem to legit enjoy my company and the fact that I have the education knowledge allowing for him to get fully detailed and accurate information from what he's been surprised to find to be a reliable source in order for him to better treat many of his patients, as well as better coordinate with doctors and such, apparently my knowledge passed to him gets a lot of use in both his professional and personal life from many instances and situations and such that he's spoken of to me, so that's kinda cool I guess. Plus I was solely responsible in his opinion being swayed in favor of cannabis use in MH treatment, as well as a variety of other topics and subjects that I've been able to enlighten him on, all of which he's seemed particularly grateful and just amazed at my intelligence and brain capacity, especially considering circumstances involving my lifestyles and such haha. The weed thing made me feel especially great though, like a had created a definite good impact in the world and a ripple effect considering how many people and places I know he's involved with that something of that nature will definitely effect...so that was cool.
Regardless, I guess I was lucky to find a decent one that matched well, in this specific case- on the psychology side anyway. Psychiatry not a whole lot of luck yet, but hopefully....
Point is, if you haven't found anyone yet, you're bound to sooner or later, they do exist hahaha.

Oh and as for providers attitudes and preferences towards the cases in their load, I certainly don't doubt one bit that there are many like that, you know only wanting the easy cases etc.....but, the inverse can actually be true too. My psychologist actually rather enjoys the challenge I provide him haha. It's actually been openly discussed. Some of them do like a challenge. Especially if they're booked up with simple, uninteresting, etc type cases. You just gotta find someone compatible with you like I said. The most recent psychiatrist though was definitely wide eyed while hearing my answers to their questions though lol....still not entirely sure what to make of the whole encounter, but I figure hell they did an acceptable job so far and they didn't refuse to treat me, so guess we'll see what comes of it....I hate how difficult, slow and prolonged the psychiatry side is though fuck.....

Tell me, what kind of institutions do you typically see providers?

How willing and accepting have you been in your treatment situations?

-PA

Last edited:
cj- yeah, I definitely feel ya on being the one constantly treated like shit. I am currently and always have been the punching bag in the family, no matter which family or home I've been in, always been treated like shit for no reason, even when I've been a so called productive member of society......has never mattered how good/bad/success/failure/loser, nothing fucking matters. Never matters what I do or don't do and its fucking irritating when I tell people this and they're stuck in thinking "well, have you thought about the fact that you're pissing them off by falling" kind of bullshit and when I explain the facts to them that it never fucking mattered, they either think I'm making the shit up or like THEY know the facts and circumstances of MY situations just because they don't believe family can be that fucked up or something..... Pretty sure I know my own experiences......pretty sure I WAS there at MY experiences after all, but maybe you could be right, maybe that was someone else I was thinking of.....happens pretty frequently that I confuse myself for someone else being present for me experiences lol fuck.... I mean, even from my youngest memories when during the short time living with my mother......even all the way back then, I knew factually and was told and treated as least favorite.....seems like a serious point was made of making that clear. And it's been the same every family and house I've been with since....without fail. I don't really know why it's always been me....I've definitely done a lot of contemplating on the matter....but I dunno...

You need to make sure you don't miss out on your grandmother's last days man. I'm not saying you should spend all your time with her, just a little. Trust me, it can become a pretty big regret even if you don't think it will. I don't know anything about your relationship with her though, so perhaps I'm wrong. I'd say as long as the relationship is at least cordial, that it probably will result in later regret or guilt or other negative emotion.....which I don't think you're really in shortage of, nor need an increase in supply lol.
It'd be for both you and her. But you know your relationship with her, you know your circumstances and everything else. I know the little about you that you've expressed, but other than that, I only know what I know personally that made me think to mention this and warn you the possibility of those kinds of later negative emotions in that situation.... So just something to consider man.

-PA

Here's what I can tell you. From your post I see the words "parents" and I can tell you are still at Phase 1 of life. The phase where the people who gave birth to you are the source of a lot of your misery and anger. I know all too well what it is like to be at that phase of life and feeling hopeless and feeling judged and put into a box so to speak. Trust me, when you get to my phase when you are in early 30's you will be looking back at yourself and feeling so happy that you got out of that situation and become a totally independant human being. Free to make up your own reality and make your own home with rules that fit your specific needs. Substance abuse and recovery can make us feel hopeless especially at a young age. You will get through this part of your life and have insights into life that most others don't have due to your experiences whether good or bad.
I am 28 man so this situation isn't just going to resolve itself in time. It's gonna take a fuck ton of effort on my part and even then I may not be successful. Thanks for the positivity though. And I mean that from everybody no one has been a dick and just said your a 28 loser living at home crying about childhood trauma just get the fuck over it blah blah. I get that a lot in real life and shit.
cj- hey man, sorry, I didn't mean to just drop off, I actually tried a couple times to write out messages, but I just wasn't really straight enough to do so the majority of the time, kept rambling off and saying stupid shit, after so much trying, decided I probably wasn't straight enough to be of much help or worth/value so I just decided it was best to set it aside awhile.

I've still gotta type our full responses, but I'll throw a couple into here quick that caught my eye and mind fast.

Yes, I'm very well educated on PTSD (and a decent bit of much of MH actually), not only through my own educational knowledge, but also because yes, it is a personal diagnosis- one of multiple though.....ha. Fuck my life. Lucky me.....

Yeah, you are clearly affected yourself....and for very good reason, according to your tellings of personal experiences......you've certainly some very terrible things that so many have unbelievable difficulty in working through....I'm reminded of this Vice show, it's fairly new and called The Therapist.....ever seen or heard of it? There's a specific episode I have in mind that may be of particular interest to you....maybe anyway.

May I ask also, you say you've had extensive experience and failure in dealing with mental health professionals.....were you particular on gender?
And what kinds of non-pharmacological approaches were attempted?
And maybe you just haven't found a decent one yet....I personally don't have as much experience in jumping around between doctors mostly for the fact that I was absolutely objected to the idea for the longest time (or even admitting something was wrong for that matter, but even after that, I still refused to do the whole thing for quite some time.....) because the whole thing brought back far too much and so I held a lot of misplaced disdain for the MH field and the professionals within it and wrongfully despised both....well, I know I was wrong now and that it was simply an effect of something else ya know...figured that out myself.
Anyway, as I was saying, I don't have as much experience in bouncing around providers as you do, but I still have experienced enough to know that a good provider is hard to come by. But you also gotta realize too that's it's not always as simple an evaluation of good/bad, there's lots of factors, but one of the most important is compatibility. It's always best to find someone good, that you can mesh with, and they're compatible with you AND your specific needs. I will say though, that for me personally, on the psychology side, I have been happy with mine for a few years now and I've almost been forced to leave and go elsewhere a couple times due to the financial end changing on me......but I truly didn't feel I could see anyone else because I had actually built such a rapport and comfort with this one and they actually seem to legit enjoy my company and the fact that I have the education knowledge allowing for him to get fully detailed and accurate information from what he's been surprised to find to be a reliable source in order for him to better treat many of his patients, as well as better coordinate with doctors and such, apparently my knowledge passed to him gets a lot of use in both his professional and personal life from many instances and situations and such that he's spoken of to me, so that's kinda cool I guess. Plus I was solely responsible in his opinion being swayed in favor of cannabis use in MH treatment, as well as a variety of other topics and subjects that I've been able to enlighten him on, all of which he's seemed particularly grateful and just amazed at my intelligence and brain capacity, especially considering circumstances involving my lifestyles and such haha. The weed thing made me feel especially great though, like a had created a definite good impact in the world and a ripple effect considering how many people and places I know he's involved with that something of that nature will definitely effect...so that was cool.
Regardless, I guess I was lucky to find a decent one that matched well, in this specific case- on the psychology side anyway. Psychiatry not a whole lot of luck yet, but hopefully....
Point is, if you haven't found anyone yet, you're bound to sooner or later, they do exist hahaha.

Oh and as for providers attitudes and preferences towards the cases in their load, I certainly don't doubt one bit that there are many like that, you know only wanting the easy cases etc.....but, the inverse can actually be true too. My psychologist actually rather enjoys the challenge I provide him haha. It's actually been openly discussed. Some of them do like a challenge. Especially if they're booked up with simple, uninteresting, etc type cases. You just gotta find someone compatible with you like I said. The most recent psychiatrist though was definitely wide eyed while hearing my answers to their questions though lol....still not entirely sure what to make of the whole encounter, but I figure hell they did an acceptable job so far and they didn't refuse to treat me, so guess we'll see what comes of it....I hate how difficult, slow and prolonged the psychiatry side is though fuck.....

Tell me, what kind of institutions do you typically see providers?

How willing and accepting have you been in your treatment situations?

-PA
Ight there's a couple questions there I'll try to answer. I just checked out the therapist show on YouTube looked cool watched a little of Katy Perrys episode. I googled and I think your talking about Corey Taylor and childhood sex abuse but I couldn't find a full episode of his online maybe you can? Most providers I've seen have been just private practitioners not really related to institutions. The one I saw in the phych ward was more geared toward diagnosing and stabilizing then they tell you to find a private practice you can afford or your insurance covers. Well I started seeing phych at 15 prompted by my parents and I wasn't too enthused about it honestly and I didn't tell them anything but what I thought they wanted to hear and by that I mean trying to manipulate drugs out of them. When I started going in my early 20s shit got real. I was honest and motivated in the counseling sessions but I still was angling for benzos from the phych docs I would be referred to. I never found a therapist I really clicked with during those periods though for whatever reason. Probably because I wasn't ready to admit that my life was completely out of control and I needed extreme help. By my mid 20s heroin was in the equation and I would rather shoot dope then deal with talking about my problems plus I kinda figured I was going to die soon anyway so what was the point.

I got on suboxone at 24 and went off to college and met a great therapist through a program at the college. I was lucky as fuck for meeting him and he changed my whole life for a little while. He was a sociology professor and absolutely brilliant. He had me over for dinner a few times and just took a real interest in my life. Things got better that was the most normal part of my whole life probably. I had a decent gpa a girlfriend ect. But I never did fully shake the drugs. I also realized I had major issues when it came to relationships with women. Like I'll probably be single forever type issues.

Anyway I stupidly left college at 26 came home. My parents made me get back in therapy as a condition of letting me drive there car. I opened stupidly opened pandora station box on the sexual abuse issue to a provider I wasn't fully comfortable with and who I don't think is talented frankly. It sent spiraling bad. Real bad started my worst run on heroin ever which led me too methadone which is the only reason I'm alive now. Like I had 3 out of my 5 suicide attempts while seeing her and 2 out of my 4 phych hospitalizations.

Far as gender goes I do better with male providers.

Ok that was exhausting to write and I'm crying. I'll reply to the rest later

cj- yeah, I definitely feel ya on being the one constantly treated like shit. I am currently and always have been the punching bag in the family, no matter which family or home I've been in, always been treated like shit for no reason, even when I've been a so called productive member of society......has never mattered how good/bad/success/failure/loser, nothing fucking matters. Never matters what I do or don't do and its fucking irritating when I tell people this and they're stuck in thinking "well, have you thought about the fact that you're pissing them off by falling" kind of bullshit and when I explain the facts to them that it never fucking mattered, they either think I'm making the shit up or like THEY know the facts and circumstances of MY situations just because they don't believe family can be that fucked up or something..... Pretty sure I know my own experiences......pretty sure I WAS there at MY experiences after all, but maybe you could be right, maybe that was someone else I was thinking of.....happens pretty frequently that I confuse myself for someone else being present for me experiences lol fuck.... I mean, even from my youngest memories when during the short time living with my mother......even all the way back then, I knew factually and was told and treated as least favorite.....seems like a serious point was made of making that clear. And it's been the same every family and house I've been with since....without fail. I don't really know why it's always been me....I've definitely done a lot of contemplating on the matter....but I dunno...

You need to make sure you don't miss out on your grandmother's last days man. I'm not saying you should spend all your time with her, just a little. Trust me, it can become a pretty big regret even if you don't think it will. I don't know anything about your relationship with her though, so perhaps I'm wrong. I'd say as long as the relationship is at least cordial, that it probably will result in later regret or guilt or other negative emotion.....which I don't think you're really in shortage of, nor need an increase in supply lol.
It'd be for both you and her. But you know your relationship with her, you know your circumstances and everything else. I know the little about you that you've expressed, but other than that, I only know what I know personally that made me think to mention this and warn you the possibility of those kinds of later negative emotions in that situation.... So just something to consider man.

-PA

Far as half way houses go none will take me because I'm on methadone same with IOP programs. The ignorance around ORT is bullshit.

Last edited:
Cj my heart breaks for you, truly. I am mid-30's and it seems like mid to late 20's is when all of the early childhood trauma starts to super bubble up.

I don't have any silver bullet answers for you. I will pray for you & hope you can find a safe haven.

I had a lot of crappy councelor too. When it comes to sexual trauma a bad counselor can really do more damage to you than when you 1st walked in, I know 1st hand. I found a good guy who practices in his own, he doesn't prescribe, he is a "holistic" counselor & he does EDMR. That method has helped me a lot.

I hope you can find serenity. Do you go to any support groups?

Unregi, have you found any books in particular that were helpful for you as a survivor? One of the things I have noticed is that quite a few of the good ones I have seen are heavily weighted towards girls/women. It is not necessarily to exclude boys/men , just simply that the authors themselves are female and are writing to that experience. I'm looking for good, helpful books (or blogs, websites, podcasts etc) that specifically include or are geared towards males. This question is obviously open to anyone else reading this.<3

I am not a survivor of any ongoing childhood abuse but I do have sexual issues due to an attempted rape as a a very young teenager. I have found that many therapists are not adequate to the complexity of how trauma continues to live in the body. You can do all the work you want in your head but at a certain point, those are just words. I think this is possibly why the EMDR was effective for you--it integrates body and mind. Getting to the subconscious is not a skill most therapists with a two year degree necessarily have. If there is one thing this world needs, and needs desperately, it is affordable, holistic therapists with much broader training than the standard U.S. MFCC (marriage, family and child counseling degree).

Also man don't trip on living with your parents at 28...in this shell of a country that used to be great that is actually the norm. My post about phases of life isn't about age but about when you get your spot and get to create your own rules. You don't have to have a high paying job just get with a good woman who doesn't use and start the next phase of life. My brother is 38 and lives at home do to choosing a sorry woman who used stimulants and got put in jail many times. Don't look at your life and analyze it based on societal standards or your parents standards...you are not a piece of shit. You didn't choose to be born in the southern part of the US in a poor state. You didn't make the economy turn to shit. Just find a way out of there and remember that not being alive at all would be the worst thing imaginable. Think about....not being alive? Not an option.

Unregi, have you found any books in particular that were helpful for you as a survivor? One of the things I have noticed is that quite a few of the good ones I have seen are heavily weighted towards girls/women. It is not necessarily to exclude boys/men , just simply that the authors themselves are female and are writing to that experience. I'm looking for good, helpful books (or blogs, websites, podcasts etc) that specifically include or are geared towards males. This question is obviously open to anyone else reading this.<3

I am not a survivor of any ongoing childhood abuse but I do have sexual issues due to an attempted rape as a a very young teenager. I have found that many therapists are not adequate to the complexity of how trauma continues to live in the body. You can do all the work you want in your head but at a certain point, those are just words. I think this is possibly why the EMDR was effective for you--it integrates body and mind. Getting to the subconscious is not a skill most therapists with a two year degree necessarily have. If there is one thing this world needs, and needs desperately, it is affordable, holistic therapists with much broader training than the standard U.S. MFCC (marriage, family and child counseling degree).
Yeah I would love any books people have read on the subject.

I couldn't say that I understand what its like to have parents continuously on my case because I don't have parents. But I can understand being controlled, and I most certainly understand using of drugs to cope with depression, I also understand being miserable and suicidal.

My life sucks and always has.
I'm unhappy everyday. But I just think of those who have it worse than I. I try to think of all of the things I am capable of doing in the future and tone everything out. I'm still sad, but it keeps me from putting a bullet in my head ya know.

I can tell by your post that you're a strong person. But suicide is not an answer. Its a way out, but an excuse. Maybe death is worse than life, ya know? Try and remain sane. And contact me if you ever wanna talk. ?

cj- yep, the Corey Taylor episode. Not sure if you're a fan of him or his band, but regardless of that, I think it's a good watch either way. As for where it can be found online, I've actually no idea, but I'll see if I can find anything. I've personally been wanting to see the Prodigy one too but haven't had the chance yet. They really got lucky since he died before the episode even aired, talk about timing haha.
I really like the potential societal impact of a show like this though, celebrities and high profile entertainers are, unfortunately, one of the best ways to draw people's attention and interest, so it's certainly a good way to bring more attention, awareness and understanding that is far lacking in this incredibly impactful issue we face as a people, yet still refuse to face up to, not only that but creating a sense of unity and relation to people with similar circumstances of suffering and doing so in isolation or loneliness and bringing them a degree of relief, and of course, reducing the negative stigma associated with these highly unspoken topics and showing that these problems are indiscriminate.

Hmm yeah I just thought I'd ask more so with interest to whether the providers are gov assistance providers or not. Cuz I know the ones under contract for welfare recipients generally have much bigger caseloads and less room to care- and much (not all) of the time, better treatment is had elsewhere.

Sounds like we both got into the higher forms of sin in a very similar fashion lol.
And although I've got things under decent control now, it all certainly follows me too. Like I just can't shake it. And really, I can't stand complete sobriety....it's been that way a long time though. But I can generally pacify that pretty well with the safer options in cannabis and kratom- which compromises most of my intake. Although I do still have a little concern on the kratom end due pretty exclusively to the quantity....it is a fairly safe one, but I do wonder a little whether there might some degree of damage I'm doing to my organs which are no doubt being worked overtime in my certain overconsumption. But it's still better than the alternative.

Hmm end of my last post and another unrelated thought just made me think of this......I don't know if anyone can relate (but perhaps here would be one of the more likely places to find anyone that does)......but I am actually pretty often asked why do certain things or use certain products.....probably the most common one said to me is that cigarettes will kill me- just as an example. Well, I always respond with a joke such as "I know, why you think I do it?" or "if you already know the answer, why'd you ask?", that sort of thing, and have a good little laugh. Only there's actually a good degree of genuine truth and seriousness to it.....just disguised as joke I guess. And I know it every time I say it.
I know this is fucking nuts...hmm...

Hmm end of my last post and another unrelated thought just made me think of this......I don't know if anyone can relate (but perhaps here would be one of the more likely places to find anyone that does)......but I am actually pretty often asked why do certain things or use certain products.....probably the most common one said to me is that cigarettes will kill me- just as an example. Well, I always respond with a joke such as "I know, why you think I do it?" or "if you already know the answer, why'd you ask?", that sort of thing, and have a good little laugh. Only there's actually a good degree of genuine truth and seriousness to it.....just disguised as joke I guess. And I know it every time I say it.
I know this is fucking nuts...hmm...
I absolutely can relate. People always asked if I was afraid of needle drugs killing me. Truth is I was and still am more afraid they wont kill me. That I am going to have to play out this shitty life I made for myself.

I always had insurance so in theory I saw the upper class of providers. Lately I'm seeing a croaker to get my benzos and love it. He wants cash I want drugs so there is none of the bullshit beating around the bush.

But my grandmothers going to die tonight. Sad but smart move on her part considering how fucked cancer is. I'm not there of course but it is what it is I'm person non grata right now for whatever reason. People are stupid. It's a shame I don't like to drink things would be easier. Oh well I guess I am feeling better but the situation isn't changing which means I am just losing hope.

Last edited:
Isn't that just the worst? Fuck man, when I was at my absolute worst and every single fucking terrible thing possible was happening to me in rapid succession, literally every fucking day, AT LEAST one unimaginable misfortune slammed me, but for some reason, it was as if I became invincible/immortal all of a sudden. I simply could/would NOT FUCKING DIE. Now that it was the only thing I wanted, of fucking course.....

I don't know if there is any higher being/power/force here, but if there is, he/she/it REALLY, TRULY fucking despises me, and I don't know why. I asked myself this non-stop, and in fact, still wonder. And if this thing does indeed exist, it has got to be unimaginably hateful, unforgiving, and an evil mastermind with tons of experience to have perfected playing this sick, cruel, fucking sadistic, relentless and never-ending game with me, talk about a horrible, sick fucking joke. Hit me, hit me, hit me, beat me the fuck down bruised, bloody, defeated and unable to move....proceeds to carry on to its personally developed methods of torture far beyond what any human has thought of, could think of, beyond our wildest imagination, gets me to the point it had said it wanted me all along- with no life left in me and begging for mercy- my physical death.....only to be laughed to my face and ridiculed, followed by more torture....the motherfucker wouldn't even grant that one simple thing- laughingly absolutely REFUSED to just allow me any relief, one LAST thing and not have to do anything more for me ever again.

Pure, inescapable fucking hell. Really. That seriously has been a strong consideration of mine. If hell exists, perhaps it's nothing similar to religious portrayals and ideas. Perhaps it's actually THIS. I truly actually have genuinely wondered.....contemplated this. And to this day, maintain that it is entirely possible... Hmm.

Huh I'm reminded of a Modest Mouse song now haha....called "Missed The Boat".....one of my favorites from them actually (though they have a ton of great music, and very unique- with just enough weird hahaha), I'd recommend everyone check it out if you don't know it. My last topic reminded me cuz some lyrics- "we carried it all so well, as if we got a new position, oh and I laugh all the way to hell, saying yes this is a fine promotion!" hehehe...

But, even though I'm not in as terrible a shape as I was......I still haven't found the key to revival.....I am still truly dead (inside)....and I am finally trying to find the final Dragon ball (hopefully this reference is understood lol).....and in fact, when entering the discussion in this thread, among the initially present reasoning, I was also hoping that I might find an answer within this thread and the community.....because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing. Nor do I even know why. I literally have lost absolutely everything. And future is incredibly bleak at best. More likely nothing of value- ever.... I'm fucking clueless. I want answers. I want HOPE. I want to feel alive. And not just the very brief relief and life artificially breathed into me when I hit a fucking pipe or something of the like. Because that's the only life I'm able to feel. But I only get that on occasion- in accordance with my own personally set guidelines. I want to feel truly alive, I want purpose and reason to. But I think this is all way too much to ask.

Like you cj, I know factually that I'm destined to live a life of isolation, seclusion, etc.....I so badly want to have that connection of lasting love with a woman. But I'm positive that won't happen. I truly am way too damn flawed and fucked up. I've had my own troubles in the relationship department. And I haven't even dated in years. I have actively ignored and disregarded possibilities in most part because I'm fucking terrified. And too goddamn depressed to act or bother. Even disregarding these factors, I am absolutely incapable of trust. Everyone betrays and there's nothing to show in almost anybody in terms of loyalty or genuine care, absolutely no conditions allowing of unwavering trustworthiness. I'm never important enough or good/worthy enough I guess. Even though I never break the laws of trust or loyalty.....NEVER. And care. And love. And I fight very hard all the damn time to hold myself to it. While everyone eventually fucks me anyway. Because there must be so much fucking fundamentally wrong with me that these very few positives are overruled and disregarded.

It does hurt to know I'll never live that complete life that a human wants....
I also would love to have children. But I know that won't happen either. Seriously, I have given so much thought to children and would love fatherhood.....but, even if it were ever a possibility, I've long maintained (and still do currently) that I don't think I could...because I fear passing on my negative traits, especially in the way of mental illnesses.....having suffered so horribly......I simply could not bring a child into this world just to endure the same pain and suffering I have.....no matter how much I know it would help me in my own life, how fucking selfish would I have to be to do this?? Ughhhh..

I wish I could have love (or any positive emotion for that matter) for life. I wish I could experience that. I truly feel like a fucking geezer due to the amount and degree of experiences I've had....so fucking much experience had, but I'm not granted that one?? I swear I had to have done something so very wrong for this to be my life, my reality, my existence. Otherwise, it just makes no sense. But actually come to think of it, I guess the world is nonsensical anyway, so maybe not? I so badly want to understand.....but maybe there's not supposed to be an understanding....

Sorry cj and everyone.....I'm just venting now I guess and probably tiring, boring, or straight losing you with my crazy ass fucking soliloquys.....I'm just really lost. REALLY lost. And it's so hard to believe who I've become. And my seemingly out of character actions and behaviors. I'm unsure of who I've become, who I am......but I know I don't like it. Myself.... I'm my own doppelganger. A similar, though very clearly weathered appearance, but a whole different person inside. With definitely darker natures...

I do really hope that I can find, within this community, what I need to fix my completely broke self, anything....
I apologize again for this nonsense....

-PA

Last edited:
cj- would you be willing to expand on the untalented therapist you mentioned a few posts previous?

I know what you mean about using being much easier than discussing with people.....especially when it always ends up badly, and knowing that you're just burdening everyone with your problems and no-one really cares enough, nor shows interest and understanding...using is guaranteed to work and without the drawbacks involved with the other route.....it's like the dependable friend that never lets you down...I know that is bad......but it is what it is I guess. Ugly. But the truth always is.

As for provider gender, I have only little true experience with females, but I wonder for you, if females would be generally more equipped generally, to work on something like rape..? Or maybe you already have sufficient experience with female providers that I don't, in order to make a different, more accurate determination...? I dunno, it was just a thought.

Sending condolences your way for your grandmother, man.....death has certainly impacted me before.....I hope it won't you...

Cancer.....man......I personally had a death by pancreatic cancer myself a few years back......progressed so fast and completely ravaged him....it was horrible.....even thinking of it now brings tears....there was this photo of him less than a year before his death, a photo of which I was present for, but not in. With him sitting on a motorcycle holding his wife and smiling, with a little bit of a gut, looking like a healthy older man.....by the end.....he was fucking skin and bone, pale, completely ravaged, destroyed, eaten away.....and in such a short period of time....plus all the effects of the treatment known to be worse than the fucking disease.....I was offered to go visit him a few days before he passed- but turned it down, thinking I'd have another chance....saw him at the funeral and could barely recognize him because he was so badly ravaged.......just horrible....

What kind of cancer does your gma have?

Seems I'm generally persona non grata as well....
But when you say this, do you mean your grandmother....or others?

Ugh drinking.....luckily I'm out of that poisonous shit.....for now anyway.....hopefully I keep it that way....I have quite a history of on and off alcoholism.....funny thing is, many times I've turned to it is to avoid problems involved in the other options.....but ironically, alcohol has been more destructive and problematic than anything else by far....I can drink every great once in awhile right now but unless I'm hooked in the loop, I very strangely dislike it quite a bit....just makes me tenfold more depressed, reminiscent, and erratic....like deathly depressed, and more likely for emotions to cloud thought and rationality....and these lady couple times have been even worse due to uncontrollable thoughts of the personally experienced damage related with it. My relationship with alcohol is so fucking strange.
Hoping (and much more confident than ever before) that I don't get myself swallowed anymore...

I'd actually say it's lucky, not a shame, that you're not a fan of drinking. It is a great TEMPORARY solution, a bandaid......but it's also got teeth, and rears its ugly head eventually and bites fucking hard man...shit's fucking crazy.

Hey, I guess at least if you're losing some hope, means there's some there at least....which is good.

My therapist while discussing trauma, said that when the brain experiences such events, it is stored permanently, but stored incorrectly due to dysfunction because the brain is ill-equipped to handle it and from then on, due to how it's stored, it is unable to differentiate between past, present, future, so it's actually experiencing past events as if they are actually happening in the present....hence the all the effects, even including physiological responses (flight or fight for example.....tachycardia, stress responses, hypertension, respiration, perspiration, etc- crazy shit huh...).....which would have occurred during the actual experience.....it's not actually happening in present reality, but the brain makes it so....I thought was a good way to explain.

-PA

^I'm really sorry that you have been through all that, PA. I was homeless as a teen. It was grueling and for the most part terrifying but I think it was somewhat easier because this was in the 70's and hippies did look out for each other to a certain degree.

cj and I have talked before about the "legacy" of childhood abuse. It goes in deep, it is experienced on so many different unconscious levels as well as on the conscious level. When trust is destroyed at a young age the child is robbed of childhood. Because exploration is what childhood is all about and without trust it is extremely hard to freely explore the world outside the self--the child is too busy desperately trying to find hiding places inside. But there is healing. It takes effort and courage and will, and it takes lots and lots of time.

How long were you homeless?
Yeah, the circles in my time and place were certainly different from yours haha. Crystal meth is very, VERY big- in fact use is rampant- in my locale.....so my circle during that time were.....well, we were pretty much always together and had each other's backs generally if something were to happen.....but as I'm sure you can imagine.....that crowd involved with that drug specifically.....is usually very sheisty and will throw you under the bus or sell you out without hesitation if it saves their ass or benefits them....hell, they might rob you with a knife during a friendly hangout, or steal your wallet outta your damn pocket, even loose change sitting around.....and they can be mastermind schemers, considering their brain is going full strength.....basically though, they have your back.....until they don't....and no way of telling when that is gonna happen. And that's just a sliver of the crazy negatives involved with that crowd, as I'm sure you know. *of course though, there ARE exceptions to the generalization of this crowd....just very few. A very rough crowd to be involved in for sure.

Your 2nd paragraph is absolutely, dead on correct. I have actually learned much of what you said already. But I'm unsure on the last part. I'm genuinely doubtful of the possibility of healing. I don't even know fucking how- or even where to begin... Or if I'm even strong enough to do it. My therapist has even offered multiple forms of ptsd treatment for example, but even after so long, I still too big a fucking pussy to follow through and do it.....I've come close on several occasions because of just how badly it's all holding me back......but I still haven't been able to bring myself to do it.....

You are so right about the loss of trust, I'm absolutely incapable now. Even though people I'm closest to and care so much about.....even them, I can't. I hide a lot from them, don't tell them things, get suspicious or fearful of a break in trust or even betrayal in some form. And I hate it.

I definitely feel the "robbed of childhood"....that's actually EXACTLY how I feel....and it fucking tears me apart. The only good and easy part of life, missed, cheated out of, robbed, and thrown straight into the shit. How can this ever heal if you never recover the experiences taken from you? They're gone forever, for good and never gotten back..... Taught from early on the dark natures and evils of humans and of this world.... What if I want that time of innocent exploration back? Even if I did, my thoughts are already too well developed and backed by evidence to overcome and change....I dunno, maybe you're right, but from my point of view here, it's insurmountable. And I can't decide whether it's even worth it to try...

-PA

Last edited:
My grandma also has pancreatic cancer. Your right that shit kills you fast and it's an ugly death. She threw up so fucking much and the doctors couldn't do shit to even make her comfortable really. Sad.

Oh the unhelpful therapist who kinda helped ruin my life. Well she helped me bring the sexual trauma to the surface of my life over the course of 3-5 sessions. Like every week we spent a full hour discussing in detail the memories I had of the trauma then we got into how it effected my life going forward through childhood after it ended ect. I started spiraling by the 5th session I just couldn't deal with the intensity of the emotions that where coming up on the daily. I started cutting using benzos habitually ect. She did t have any answers her idea of therapy was asking a probing question to start the session listening then repeating what I said back to me. I swear she was like a god damn 75 dollar an hour tape recorder. Shit got so fucking frustrating. I know that's a part of some therapy if you don't think the client is hearing what they are thinking or something but I'm pretty perceptive of my interpersonal dialogue so I feel like we just weren't a good client therapist mix. Then as things got farther off the rails she got condescending and even accused me of deception at one point. So I fucking fired her after like 15-20 sessions. She sent me a snarky letter afterward saying it was very challenging to work with manipulative drug addicts. I wrote a nasty review of her on some therapy rating site she was on. Bad experience.

Unfortunately Pandora was out of the box and I've been dealing with the aftermath for a year. It's gradually easing but I don't think I'm ever going to talk about the abuse so in depth again unless there is a real plan for if shit goes wrong.

I like guy therapists because I tend to be somewhat vulgar language wise. Plus talking about sexual stuff with women makes me very uncomfortable and sexual abuse is about sex unfortunately.

i haven't had a ton of success with books, I gave up on the self-help genre because For me was driving me deeper into isolation & hmmm... perfectionism which is a flaw of mine too. In a utopian world these concepts are wonderful but we don't live in a utopian world! my faith has helped me to find comfort in my emotional & psychological suffering.

"Don't Call it Love" by Patrick Carnes helped me a lot. It isn't really a survivor book, but, more when a survivor becomes an abuser & how these things can manifest if not worked through. Carns has a # of books & workbooks on the subject matter of sex addiction & intimacy issues.

Outside of Carnes work I haven't really found anything helpful. My most current therapist did help me the most. I agree many therapists seem to glaze over the effects of trauma. Maybe the have become desensitized. The EDMR helped me to honor the feelings which is still hard for me to do because I learned so early that I was not supposed to feel.

My grandma also has pancreatic cancer. Your right that shit kills you fast and it's an ugly death. She threw up so fucking much and the doctors couldn't do shit to even make her comfortable really. Sad.

Oh the unhelpful therapist who kinda helped ruin my life. Well she helped me bring the sexual trauma to the surface of my life over the course of 3-5 sessions. Like every week we spent a full hour discussing in detail the memories I had of the trauma then we got into how it effected my life going forward through childhood after it ended ect. I started spiraling by the 5th session I just couldn't deal with the intensity of the emotions that where coming up on the daily. I started cutting using benzos habitually ect. She did t have any answers her idea of therapy was asking a probing question to start the session listening then repeating what I said back to me. I swear she was like a god damn 75 dollar an hour tape recorder. Shit got so fucking frustrating. I know that's a part of some therapy if you don't think the client is hearing what they are thinking or something but I'm pretty perceptive of my interpersonal dialogue so I feel like we just weren't a good client therapist mix. Then as things got farther off the rails she got condescending and even accused me of deception at one point. So I fucking fired her after like 15-20 sessions. She sent me a snarky letter afterward saying it was very challenging to work with manipulative drug addicts. I wrote a nasty review of her on some therapy rating site she was on. Bad experience.

Unfortunately Pandora was out of the box and I've been dealing with the aftermath for a year. It's gradually easing but I don't think I'm ever going to talk about the abuse so in depth again unless there is a real plan for if shit goes wrong.

I like guy therapists because I tend to be somewhat vulgar language wise. Plus talking about sexual stuff with women makes me very uncomfortable and sexual abuse is about sex unfortunately.

Damn, yeah that doesn't sound like the best therapy experience.
Suppose I've been right to consider myself lucky that while mine definitely encourages it, he doesn't get too pushy. He's said himself that it's counterproductive and runs too much risk of greatly damaging the patient further, especially if patient is unready, unwilling or uncomfortable for any reason whatsoever or circumstances aren't right. To which I very much concur.

I'm very sorry you've had to endure that, and that it's set you back so far. But hopefully sometime in the future, you'll find that it actually benefits you in your treatment progression or at least no longer negatively impacts out it....suppose time will tell.

I must say though- what a fucking bitch to have sent you such a letter....real professional, wow.

Yeah, the gender thing actually is pretty typical anyway, especially for the very reason you state. I only wondered since despite the comfort factor, seems like females might be generally a bit better equipped/understanding of such issues. But I don't blame you one bit if the comfort factor is too much to overlook, it's only natural after all. That's why (at least in my experience), I've usually been asked which gender I prefer when looking for a MH provider.

Sorry for the incredibly long delay in response, I've been absolutely and unbearably fucking rocked by MH and the very reason for your OP here myself this last while..... I don't know what I'm gonna do......I'm in really bad shape.... Right on the verge.... Have contemplated even making my own OP in this sub myself.....but not sure there's even any point....
Hope you're on the up though cj....

-PA