• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Is there a way to get rid of emotional numbness?

Jackplays

Bluelighter
For the past few months iv not really felt anything at all, even in times I should be really emotional (for example, I had to give up my cats recently) I don't feel anything at all, even when the people around me who don't normally show any emotion at all are crying. I can tell what I should be feeling, but for some reason I just don't actually feel it. Its also nearly destroyed any empathy that I did have. If anyone has experienced this, how did you get rid of it?

I don't think so. I'm probably a little depressed, but iv been that way for years.

When I feel emotionally numb I have to stop relating as much to what makes me feel that way and turn towards things that I know will reconnect me to my own deep sense of appreciation. That means more nature and animals and less humans and technology.

^True. Lots of things can. I find that many super sensitive people default to numb because anything else can feel overwhelming. The irony is that the human potential and power comes from our emotions and learning to face, rather than run from, the most uncomfortable emotions is incredibly empowering.

I doubt it's drugs. Last thing I did was about a week or 2 ago when I experimented with smoking yopo. Prior to that, nothing for a few months. It's probably just how stressed out I am, but I just don't know how to become unstressed

Sometimes mushrooms or 4 substituted tryptamines e.g. 4-HO-MET, can reconnect you to suppressed parts of the psyche,forcing you to confront unresolved issues and bring on a flood of emotions.

I've been having this same issue but it's been going on for years.

In my case I think it's depression. As a response to the depression I've locked down my emotions because it makes dealing with every day living easier but ultimately you end up feeling like your watching the world through a glass window. You're not engaged with life so there's no emotional response to otherwise emotionally charged situations. For me it's a form of control but too much control strangles the life out of you.

I think what can help and has helped me in the past is throwing your routine out of whack. The loss of control experienced from no routine breaks the cycle and ignites an emotional response.. I guess it's like forcing yourself out of your comfort zone. The idea is daunting because you don't know what to expect but that's the point, you've been living such an expected life for so long that it's numbed you emotionally.

I'm obviously writing from my own experience, your situation could be completely different. I need to heed my own advice soon.