• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Is a rush really worth the hell of addiction?

touchdown

Greenlighter
I was a full blown heroin addict for a long time. we all know the pleasure goes after we become addicts. All heroin did for me was give he a short rush, and make me feel normal. THATS IT. before I was an addict, I took percs. they made me feel great. I would stay up all night and play video games with a smile on my face. but a year later all I get is a nice rush and a normal feeling.

so we get clean and relapse. why? what majes us want to go back to the hell? I know that I only get a nice rush, and I know that I have likea 90% chance of returning to full blown addiction. but the heroin has changed my brain chemistry that EVEN after being clean I am miserable. I do everything - exercise, read, etc. I am still miserable. that's why I chose suboxone and I really is helping me.

I just don't know why I kept going back to 'one more time' when it costs a lot of money and only gives me a rush and a glow. I really don't

I don't know the rush of IV heroin. I only know the rush of smoked cocain, smoked apvp, and perhaps other one that I don't remember (there was time I was able to get a rush from smoking or vaping MXE but that's not that adictive. DMT is a rush too when smoked but addiction is almost out of question).

From my XP atm, I can say only a big NO. It's expensive, ruin your health, fuck with normal behaviors, you can't function normal.

That's not in my plan to IV heroin (the only IV I would like to try is ketamine), perhaps IV heroin user have another response.

edit : ok you was heroin IV user. Dunno for u. I'm asking the same question to myself when it come to my speed use and codein use -I'm not using them for a rush, just for being functionnal- (codein use is not OTC anymore so that's out of question, but I'm at the risk of being into snorted subutex. I don't like snorted heroin as I'm forced to snort the stuff all the day with no pause and the escalation from addiction to extreme addiction is unavoidable).

When I'm on speed/codein, I'm "normal" : I can work + do my hobbies (+ not sleeping more than 3 hours a day, if speaking about normal the 2017 way) and my life is actually going forward. I can still ask myself if I should revise my priorities ambition, but without them I'm a total lazybone.

Last edited:
Sometimes it takes more in life than exercise and all the other healthy actions you may be taking. They are important, don't get me wrong; but they are not sufficient by themselves to provide the key for your feelings of deep misery. That takes detective work sometimes. Your life is malleable. Try to make changes that push your comfort zones--maybe in interpersonal relationships, maybe in what you do for work or play, maybe in your own thoughts about who you are or what purpose you might find in life if you did not tell yourself "no".

I was a full blown heroin addict for a long time. we all know the pleasure goes after we become addicts. All heroin did for me was give he a short rush, and make me feel normal. THATS IT. before I was an addict, I took percs. they made me feel great. I would stay up all night and play video games with a smile on my face. but a year later all I get is a nice rush and a normal feeling.

so we get clean and relapse. why? what majes us want to go back to the hell? I know that I only get a nice rush, and I know that I have likea 90% chance of returning to full blown addiction. but the heroin has changed my brain chemistry that EVEN after being clean I am miserable. I do everything - exercise, read, etc. I am still miserable. that's why I chose suboxone and I really is helping me.

I just don't know why I kept going back to 'one more time' when it costs a lot of money and only gives me a rush and a glow. I really don't

IMO folks return to (harmful patterns of) substance use because they don't have another effective skill set in terms of tools for mood regulation that don't involve (harmful) drug use, or for whatever reason they don't have whatever resources they need to discover, explore and maintain their sobriety. Figuring out how to get those resources lined up and learning how to care for one's mood without just or primarily relying on drug use is probably the big challenge for most people seeking recovery.

IMO folks return to (harmful patterns of) substance use because they don't have another effective skill set in terms of tools for mood regulation that don't involve (harmful) drug use, or for whatever reason they don't have whatever resources they need to discover, explore and maintain their sobriety. Figuring out how to get those resources lined up and learning how to care for one's mood without just or primarily relying on drug use is probably the big challenge for most people seeking recovery.

This hits the nail on the head squarely.

The above explanations are the valuable ones that can be used to develop new "tools" for your recovery toolbox, but if you're looking for the nerdy explanation like I always do , you'll find you're going up against a neurological system that evolved before your pre-frontal cortex where all the rational thought takes place, like " I'm not going to use no matter what" vs. the older and sometimes more powerful Limbic system where auto pilot guides you to your DOC (drug of choice) like a heat seeking missile. Here is a better explanation than my drivel..

(try the 2nd & 5th pages if it's a bit much) : https://archives.drugabuse.gov/pdf/Perspectives/vol1no1/03Perspectives-Neurobio.pdf

Last edited: