• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

What made you choose the needle?

ChipTrippyFox

Bluelighter
Simple question, I'm looking to see how people began their IV drug use.
I've never done it personally and I have no plans to try. I haven't even used any drugs that would be injectable.

I'm simply curious and want to know how you guys got into it.

So basically:
What drugs do you bang?
How long have you been injecting?
What made you first choose to poke?
Was it a frightening/daunting concept at first?
Did you start with that ROA or did you use a different method before turning to the needle?
And how do other ROAs compare afterwards?

I appreciate anyone who is willing to share their experiences :)

I basically had a friend introduce me to IM and IV ketamine, then him and I moved on to IV meth. So I guess being around someone to shoot up with sorta normalized the behavior

For me it was the experience at the hospital. I had tried it before but not as strong. It only brought me problems though. IMO it potentiates your addiction like x 100. Besides you'll consider this every time.

I was using oxycodone nasally, but for awhile i was only able to score morphine pills. Snorting them wasn't as effective as snorting the oxys and i found out morphine sulfate has terrible bioavailability in all ROAs except IV which guarantees 100%.

about a year beforehand i was at a buddys place and i had brought over a fent patch. He was an IV user and proceeded to shoot his share of the patch. Well curiosity got the best of me so i asked him to break out a new sharp and hit me. I was pretty nervous but all that subsided once i fell the fent take hold. I wasnt actually all that impressed but it was cool.

So anyway i made a trip to the pharmacy and bought a bag of sharps, went home and looked up online how to tell if you're in a vein (registering) and shot up. The rush was more pronounced with the morphine than the fent and was pretty overwhelming. But felt awesome nonetheless. And i only had to shoot half of what i had to snort so it saved me money as well.

i really only used the needle for morphine though and sometimes Ritalin. I messed around with shooting the oxys but i never got a rush from them and so i always stuck with snorting those.

when i decided to clean up and get on suboxone, i found that the needle itself was a habit of its own. I would inject a lot of my suboxone doses just as an excuse to use the needle, even though there was no benefit over taking it as intended sublingually.
i had a lot of scares with IV use when it came to missed shots. Thankfully i never did get and abcess, but i did get cotton fever more than a few times which is a terrible experience.

So glad i dont have to deal with the needle or opiates ever again.:)

Last edited:
Haven't IV'd in a while, but:

Oxycodone, Morphine, Heroin, Fentanyl, Methadone, Buprenorphine, MXE, Diphenidine (I'm pretty sure, it was sold as MXE, but definitely wasn't), Ketamine. Possibly forgetting some. I would also IM promethazine or doxylamine succinate sometimes when the opiate nausea (which never fully faded for me, even after years of use).

First shot up in early 2011, last time was a few months ago when I had the brilliant idea of finding out what IV gabapentin feels like :/ If you don't count that misguided experiment, then the last time would have been when I went on a big ketamine binge in early 2015.

Tolerance for opiates, then I was really interested to see what it was like to go from 0 - KHole almost instantly (and the cost efficiency helped). As an ROA it's definitely not my favourite overall (that would probably be vaporizing in a glass pipe ala. meth). IVing is too complicated, messy and risky by comparison, but my tolerance meant that using any other ROA just wasn't really viable.

Not really, but it was a pain in the ass, since I had terrible veins and on top of that I was overweight at the time, which made hitting them even harder.

Didn't start with IV, no.

After I started IVing opiates I never really went back to other ROA's, so I can't really say. If I was still using and price wasn't an issue, I'd probably prefer to smoke or snort - much less fuss, much less risk.

I've only IV'd medically, only notably fent and midazolam in tandem for a right heart catheter. It was enjoyable af, I just listened to jawbreaker and felt mad chill

I met a gay junkie with MS in the mid-70's. He had let me try his Codeine pills and Dexamyl or as they were called "Christmas trees", I loved this amphetamine combined with amobarbital. He would shoot up Demerol and Ritalin (or as he called it, the poor man's cocaine). All his needles were unpacked right before each shot. I didn't know about all the fillers and such being dangerous back then. Against my better judgement I tried a shot of Ritalin and noticed we were having interesting conversations almost immediately. Later I tried a shot of Demerol and loved it. In college I would get Dilaudid number 4's and shoot them up. After college when I started working I pretty much stopped all that IV use. Not that I stopped using. I would go to the walk-in clinic with sort of an injury from playing tennis or running and get Percocet's pretty regularly but just swallowed them.

I tried a line of coke when I was 17. At 18 I tried another line and an hour later I was getting hit up with my 1st IV experience. It was amazing. It was offered and I did it plain and simple. I started smoking crack a year later but this was in '86 or '87. I've managed to stay off the needle since 2004. Sometimes I get tempted but I really don't want the mental addiction, to the needle... and the russshhh, back. I still smoke crack (now down to once per month). It has a rush but not quite as intense as the needle. I was very naive when I started using cocaine. It is a drug that I enjoy immensely. I would never suggest that someone who isn't already using pick up the habit or use needles though.

Well I have injected:
Heroin,morphine,hydromorphone, fentanyl,methamphetamine,oxycodone,midazolam,LSD, ketamine

The reason I started using intravenous administration as a ROA was after years of opioid dependency but only oral-snorted-smoking my opioids mind did a 180° turn from needle phobia to I am curious how different the high comes on and how much stronger it would be so around the age of 19 I had a friend Dr. Me up and teach me how to fix

While plenty of other users I've known become needle fiends after they start and no other ROA is ever even cconsiderd I am glad I was not like this I mainly used iv route in a pragmatic matter like oxycodone having a 90%oral BA I'd rather just eat it because iv use isn't really that stronger so the risk isn't worth it where as morphine&hydromorphone have the oppisit issues oral bioavailability is crap so the intravenous route is preferred then

I am also incredibly lucky in that after 7-8years of intravenous drug use I have not had an abcesse nor cotton fever and haven't overdosed and sense starting methadone maintenance almost two years ago I'm not really using needles no more

My friend and I that both loved drugs...mainly psychs.... Decided we would IV heroin one day when we had smoked it a few days earlier for our first time....it was a wrap after that.

Used IV for 5 years daily every drug. Then finally put down the needle after that due to fear of hep c or dying from infection like I had witnessed a few ppl already

I Was natually curious about iv drug use from the get go I also enjoyed pushing the envelope as far as substances an doses go.

Fast forward a couple years an different schools and I'm now dating this beautiful awesome girl but she had a pretty regular iv drug use habit that came along with her.

Go a couple more years an im still dating her shits sweet an all but I'm hittin her iv and becoming very desensitized to the idea of iv drug use as well as more curious then ever.

I finally work up whatever it is that made me follow threw with it all while not letting anybody know. Heroin, dilaudid, oxy, ketamine, mdma, 2cb, cocaine, methadone...
I was outta control and really fucking up.

Finally I end up taking mmt serious and kick the opiates and the needle.

I now tell everybody that shit is no joke and will destroy most people who cross that line. The craving for opiates has come an gone but is nothing compared to temptation to iv something.

I started out only using alcohol believe it or not. I would drink at night to calm myself down enough to get to sleep, and I did this all the way through college. I then started messing around with some other drugs. The first drug I tried was Adderall. I instantly loved how productive I was on it, and was using it everyday, and then using the alcohol as a means to fall asleep afterwards. What ended up happening was, I did way too much adderall at a party one time, and a friend introduced me to Opana's. This was a warm euphoric feeling that I had never experienced before. Before long, I found myself simply getting what ever drug I could find that was the least inexpensive, and would provide the same thrills. Once it stopped having it's peak thrill, I began to explore other ways to ingest it, and thats how it all started. Before long, I was not sure who I was anymore, and begged god to take my life because I was too much of a coward to do it on my own. I injected methamphetamine, and heroin, and would also crush up Opana's which would be awfully annoying because of how hard they were.

I've never done it personally and I have no plans to try. I haven't even used any drugs that would be injectable.

So basically:
What drugs do you bang?
Did you start with that ROA or did you use a different method before turning to the needle?

Personally i dont inject often but i have banged heroin, hospital morphine A++ vials, cocaine, mda and ketamine,
first time was at 15 and first thing was hosp morphine unfortunately because that beats the best heroin on the market imo ,
ive got a needle fixation and i believe some drugs are meant to be injected like ketamine I.M (NOT IV as i originally posted thats a hole new board game) i believe is the only correct way to take it if dosed correctly.
my biggest fear was injecting a bubble or missing the vein because i was big and had to just find out how by myself so yes i found it frightening but exciting, in school as a coping mechanism i sometimes injected a saline solution to get the relief from injecting but not actually get a 'high' from anything going in and finally like most people i started on prescription pills and eventually they didnt help me anymore so it was the next step and i dont use frequently anymore intentionally so although its not quite the same with things like dark it still does what it needs to do. my apologies for such a long winded post but i think i answered everything, please never ever inject though even for people like me who can control it at the moment its a dark place to be in your life unless of course your diabetic or something.

Last edited:
I was contemplating trying out of curiosity and suddenly I got really, really turned on sexually by the thought, and it was decided there and then. I don't know what was really going on in my brain back then, but I suppose I can't be the only one either? Gave up the habit years ago because of all the damage I caused to myself. I tend to experiment with weird shit in general, to the point where I have been asked why the hell would you do that, what are you trying to prove, and I'm just puzzled, unable to answer, because it's not really about proving anything... The needle provided the means for combinations I don't even want to mention for the sake of harm reduction because they are generally considered deadly and frankly, it's a miracle I'm alive. I try my best to deter others from the same path.

I kind of had to let go of most dissociatives (DOC) for good though because I might just pick up where I left, with a vengeance. They are my weakness I have little control over.

Im clean now but
1) I used to shoot heroin.
2)I did it for half a year but that was not my usual roa. I prefered the foil but I would shoot when I had little and didn't want to buy more.
3)It wasn't exactly a choise. I just had small amounts and had to make the most use of them.
4)Yeah, I was scared of needls and I found it dificult to properly inject.
5)I started with the foil
6)And, as long as I had the right amounts, the foil was my roa of choise

Instant gratification! I was hanging with some friends who were hep positive iv users and I asked if I could try first. They showed me how to prepare it and it was awesome! I've never had an issue with needles and had huge veins, now they are shot. My hands too. I still enjoy it, but money is an issue right now. Unemployment sucks! I have shot opiates, meth, crack, and H once. Enjoy the opiates the most. More sure of exactly what I was getting.

So basically:
What drugs do you bang?

My story is a lot more fucked up than most, ok simple parts first...

In order of questions.

1 heroin and very rarely methamphetamine.
2 At least 7 years, I'm not sure.
3 Sorta, see later answer
4 I started with pills and snorting.
5 Love the needle most of all by far.

As for why, well a lot of it like most was in search for a better high after tolerance increased, but I've had a weird relationship with needles most of my life.

When I was very young, some very bad shit happened to me, one incident involved me being held down and injected with drugs against my will.

I had, and I guess still have, ptsd ever since as a result of the shit that happened to me. And part of that was an obsession with various aspects of what happened to me, rape, needles, being drugged against your will, etc. Even though my obsession involved me reading about people who'd experienced similar shit and feeling this utter black cold feeling of terror, I felt compelled to keep reading. Apparently such compulsions are common in trauma as I'd eventually find out, Anyway, I think a small part of my choice to use the needle was to try and feel in control of the weapon that was once used against me. Though I didn't consciously think it at the time. It wasn't the main thing, but it is the case that I was utterly terrified to the point of panic at the sight of needles and other shit that reminded me of what happened to me for my whole life from about 8-12 when it happened to me to becoming an Iv heroin addict in my teens.

Before that never in a billion years would I have thought I'd wind up an IV heroin addict.

I know it's fucked up, Its still something I don't talk about much or in detail. But I think it played a part. Beyond my addiction being a coping mechanism for what happened to me. And since it's the one part of all the shit that happened to me as a kid I've found almost impossible to find other people who went through something similar, I thought I'd share it.

Last edited: