• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

helium

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
Helium (element number one); is it too light to bind to active substances, all carbons have three hydrogens; anyhow, CERN's finding of probable 'super-symmetry' makes me think the atomic number being 1 for helium; means all complete and detached stand alone floating (as we know the periodic table) molecular structures by themselves (some sort of distancing, not vacuum, no quantum entanglement etc.) is helium of its own kind. or hydrogen is the unscalable helium since it is the other side of it
of course

500px-Discovery_of_chemical_elements.svg.png

anyhow, something isn't simple to me on this alone about it, can someone explain the lack of helium around and about caught on other structures?

Helium is noble. But it's also number 2. It's all over the universe, but there's hardly any here. That's because it's so light it just floats away into space.

THe only helium here comes from radioactive alpha-decay. Some of that gets trapped in pockets deep underground, and gets recovered when we drill for oil.

Why doesn't it react with anything? Blah blah intro chemistry single full 1s electron shell, one up one down, very stable. Doesn't need to share or borrow. You can cheat sometimes and excite one of those to a higher shell, and then do some chemistry. Or maybe that's only with heavier noble gases like Xenon.

But that means it's a finite resource here, and I get angry every Macy's Day Parade at all the wasted helium just to make Charlie Brown fly. We need it for underground proton smashers and MRIs, keep all our superconductors conducting in the coolness.

It's also becomes a superfluid at very low temps. That means if you poured it into a coffee cup, it would slide up the sides, out and over onto the table.

Hopefully that was a good trip, btw.

Helium is, indeed extremely stable due to both its full s shell and noble gas configurations, meaning it has bollocks all desire to bond with other elements. Although if an electron is stripped from the helium, the resulting ion can form compounds in an excited state (an excimer or exciplex), although these aren't stable and once they liberate the excess energy and the exciplex returns to the ground state then the exciplex dissociates.

Also some compounds exist, as do caged compounds like clathrates and He encapsulated inside fullerenes, The helium compounds for the most part are neither covalent nor ionic but are a result of the weak van der waals force. A sodium compound also exists, disodium helide, but this is only stable at a minimum pressure of 100 gigapascals and the helium atoms themselves do not partake of covalent or ionic bonding, rather, it has more in common with electrides (like the solvated electron solutions formed by complexing alkali metals with liquid anhydrous ammonia, just like the way lithium (or preferably sodium due to a lesser tendency to over-reduce the substrate) in anhydrous ammonia is used in the birch-benkeser type reduction of (pseudo)ephedrine to methamphetamine, forming a deep violet-blackish blue solution of the solvated electrons in anhydrous NH3 (or the socalled 'lithium bronze' when the solution becomes more concentrated still, although I've never actually seen the bronze color, probably since for this type of reduction I tend to favour a technique which bypasses the generation and handling of liquid, cryogenic anhydrous NH3, by passing a constant current of anhydrous GASEOUS ammonia, into a well-stirred slurry of finely dispersed/shredded etc. Na, K or Li in diethyl or diisopropyl ether, ideally through a diffuser airstone, generated by means of using CaO as the base to liberate the ammonia gas from an ammonium salt, and just a touch of water to start it off, relying on the dessicant properties of quicklime to dry the gas as its formed, passing through a drying tube full of CaO, and then into a condenser running H2O in the jacket to cool it down to room temperature again.

Takes longer to form than the electride when its made by simply adding the alkali metal to anhydrous ammonia in the liquid state, sometimes an hour or two but it does indeed work (note not to be confused with the abhorrent fuckspawned festering abomination known as 'shake and bake' which also AFAIK (never done it never will) uses NH3, generated in-situ and allowed, under pressure to pass into etherial solution of pseudoephedrine, which is damn dangerous) this rxn on the other hand runs under atmospheric pressure, with oxygen excluded by means of a blanket of argon, or with alkali metals other than lithium, nitrogen (lithium, alone amongst alkali metals reacts with elemental nitrogen so argon must be used as the inert gas, although other inert gases could be used, like He. Argon is cheap enough, obtainable dry through welding stores in small portable tanks and unlike He, argon is quite dense and this helps it to form a pad, with a first larger discharge, supplemented by a slower bleed into the reaction vessel to lessen the demand on my supplies of inert gas, which are needed for many, many many different things,

The other noble gases are not quite as noble as they were once thought to be. Quite a number of their compounds exist, xenon chem is probably the richest of them, with various fluorides and oxides existing,

I certainly agree with you about the safety of untrained personnel handling ammonia under pressure. However, your protocol does have some safety issues, mainly that it's being used by untrained personnel. Or at least one wrote it. You don't happen to have a onepot handle at an other drugs forum, do you?

You'd have to explain what you mean by 'one pot'.

As for the pressurized redneck 'shake and bake' monstrosity, that is just inherently unsafe, Especially since the lot that are using that thing are doing it in plastic bottles and 'burping' it every so often hoping they do it before it explodes.

People can teach themselves, though, and there is a lot of chemistry information on forums, and in classic textbooks. I've been fascinated by all branches of science, bar mathematics (I'm severely dyscalculic and its always been hell on earth right the way from primary school. On the other hand at 4, taught myself to read using mycology textbooks, and yes, whilst starting out in chemistry, when all I had to go on were textbooks (I went to a special ed school and the first one of them I went to didn't have a science lab, they claimed so but it was just a tray of batteries a few bits of wire and a few lightbulbs. The second one I went to was far better, but by that age, I must have had 10x the facilities they did. And the school couldn't get a lot of the interesting things, like white phosphorus, bromine, iodine, we weren't even allowed to work with chlorine gas, HNO3 or HClO4. And after asking for some safety advice on distillation of white P, whilst making it clear I wasn't suggesting I bring any to school from home, to do it there, safety advice mind you, not a 'hey will you please give me some white phosphorus miss??' but 'how can I improve my technique and do this with any greater degree of safety than that obtained with the safety measures already taken' kind of question, I didn't even get an answer. Just a weird look, as if I'd asked my teacher to crap on my chest and eat it with a spoon. Similar to her not being able to get a thermite demo going and my (politely enough, not trying to rub it in that she was having trouble) giving a list of 4-5 different ways to get it going first time, every time, like using a chlorate/sucrose mix phlegmatized with finely powdered table salt to slow it from a deflagration to a slow, steady but intense burn.

And whilst sure you don't want to breathe too much ammonia, it isn't the nastiest thing in the world, and all it takes is to use a three-necked flask, and some one-way valves to prevent the NH3 backwashing into the argon regulator and corroding it, using an argon-purged pressure-equalized addition funnel to supply dropwise, as needed, the rate of NH3 evolution can be controlled tightly to give as fast or slow a flow of gas as desired, whilst exhausting all ammonia through a dreschel bottle containing a little concentrated hydrochloric acid, with a flask in between to serve as a suck-back trap to prevent acid being sucked into the reduction flask (which would be REALLY unpleasant) Never dumped HCl into a Birch-Benkeser reduction but acid and sodium, potassium or Li, yes (deliberately mind you not by accident)

Did have a few scrapes growing up, like a nasty burn to the hand caused by opening up lithium batteries before I could just buy my Li metal, and as it happened, I found, by chance in a derelict building site, some Li-SOCl2 cells. Cut one open and spilled thionyl chloride (at the time I'd never heard of these kinds of batteries and hadn't an internet connection) which burnt through a leather glove, and continued on burning down to exposed muscle, I've still the scar from that over my hand some 17-19 years later in fact), which of course, was not much fun. Managed to burn the same place with conc. perchloric too, although at least it only burned where was already scarred, plus a spot on my finger. Although I have to admit, I was quite a lot happier to have found the SOCl2 source, limited as it was, and needing distillation before use, than I was upset about the burned hand. And more pissed off that I didn't realize first, and wasted both the SOCl2 and Li in the battery that got me, because spilling it on me, meant a considerable loss (the batteries were quite large cells, and I'd found quite a decent haul of them) of what was, at the age I had that particular screwup of a finite resource. I couldn't order more batteries online without a net connection, and having a shitty kids income anyway, and nor could I buy SOCl2. And it was beyond my ability to make it at the time. Some of the other sulfur halides yes but SOCl2 proved too difficult. So every last drop had to be conserved and used judiciously, and any excess, unreacted reagent recycled...I really was determined to squeeze every last drop out of what I could get out of the batteries, and wasting it on chewing my hand to pieces was an unthinkable waste of a resource that, as a kid, was quite literally more precious than gold, because I could, if I had the money at least, ask for, pay for and receive gold. So quite literally, to me, the SOCl2 was of far greater value)

Sure I can buy it NOW, but back then, I had what I had, and I knew there would be no more, meaning the bottle of distilled thionyl chloride was only to be used when it truly must, after thoroughly cooling it down on an ice-salt-acetone/methylated spirits bath, to minimize evaporation and opened only in a dry-bag or small glove-box full of dessicant to avoid wasting any by hydrolysis, since it makes for so much easier workups than phosphorus halides due to solely gaseous byproducts (SO2, HCl).

And I admit, perhaps I had a bit of a head-start in chem, being autistic and pretty much having a huge affinity for the sciences since the moment I could read, and before that still being totally fascinated by the way the world worked. But it doesn't mean you HAVE to be autie or aspie to teach yourself, plenty of people do, and become good at it. I've just, well, always loved the sciences, and never, ever been able to slake my thirst for new information and knowledge. Learning more chemistry, bio, condensed matter physics stuff to me, its like smack to a junkie. One tiny taste and he'll come begging for more, and start getting the shakes, climbing up the walls to scratch at the ceiling without a regular fix. (I'd know, being a chronic pain patient. And whilst the physical symptoms of opiate WD are worse, I actually do feel pretty crappy if I am ever in a situation where I can't suck up new knowledge, like a junkie with his rig:p

And out of curiosity, totally off topic...whatever makes somebody pick an archaic name for lymphatic tuberculosis for a drug forum username? didn't scrofula kinda go out with Edward the Confessor?=D

Edward may have died, but the King's Evil lives on.

In fact, one way I can confirm you are UK, is weirdly homing on Edwardian England. Actually I just realized this is not my usual avatar, of Edward VI. That makes the connect even weirder than the usual British infatuation with it that ruined a perfectly good handle.

What English schools expected to keep chlorine gas away from the pool area fail to realize is that Americans, even over-educated ones like myself, don't know shit about dead kings. I know Victorian houses in San Francisco are too expensive and Victorian books and movies are ones to avoid, except when you start dating as a teenager. A different King was a lion, one of them had long shanks and killed Mel Gibson. The monarchy then declined, emasculated and stiffly awkward, until finally it was just a guy who stuttered giving a speech about NAZIs.

But the origins are Latin, scrofa being a sow, scrofula being the diminutive, little piggies. The rest I'll leave to you. Maybe I have a foot fetish? No.

I admire autodidacts, and with the internet available now, there's no excuse not to teach yourself any interest. There is one excuse here in the US: ordering chemical supplies and equipment privately can earn you a visit from a SWAT team, and even if everything checks out, your dog is still shot dead, your home broken, your electronics gone forever, along with that part of you that gets left behind in a jail cell. And possibly your job and reputation. That possibility only increases as you post on drug forums, so discretion is usually self-evident to active producers. That's one reason I asked if you had a "Onepot" alias.

Somewhat related, have you heard the story of the radioactive boyscout? That only resulted in a superfund site (a huge over-reaction, but that's what they do: bring machine guns and flash grenades to a nerd's house).

pool area? we didn't HAVE a pool. Well the Kanner's (classic) autism school I went to, the first of the two spesh places I went to. did have a hydrotherapy pool that was pretty decent, if a little shallow. The second one, I meant they wouldn't have it in the science lab, when really Cl2 isn't all that bad if there isn't way too much of it, I only bother masking up if I'm going to either be using a lot of chlorine around, and at times, albeit when nobody else is awake, I've even used it in the kitchen before when the lab was rather tight on space at the time, and had some things in it that I didn't want chlorinated (I had to move my £300-odd microscope when I noticed the edges of the stage were getting some greenish tints to it, presumably nickel in whatever alloy the stage is made out of, and only take it into the lab when I actually need to examine something)

And I thought the latin for pig was 'sus'? or is scrofa specifically a feminine tense? anyhow, I'm not an american. Although those fucking bastard filth did once kill my pets, an entire brood, plus the mother, of widow spiders. Black widows, brown widows and some Steatoda (the false widows, nasty bite but not likely to kill anyone, short of the victim being already severely sickened and weak. Bastards killed hundreds of them, and they bar a few, the mothers, were of no threat to the filth, and they had been warned ahead of times where they were so as to avoid harm coming to them (to my spiders, I wouldn't dirty my excrement shitting in a copper's face.

Currently getting together a case against the filth for harassment. I've been stolen from by the bastards too, and not just lab related stuff (and to say nothing of glassware deliberately broken) but precious stones, not seized, just taken. Fuckers tried to coerce false confessions out of me using the fact I am dependent as chronic pain patient (with a legit script for oxy and morphine, plus I have to take chlormethiazole to prevent seizures. I warned them what would happen, and had a seizure because of it. Fucking cockwads told me tell us what we want to hear and we'll give you your medication, otherwise I'll make you wait hours. Told them to get fucked the first time, had a seizure because of it, luckily their on call doctor saw it happen and treated it with diaz, the second time I told them right, I'll give you your fucking statement. Making no mention at the time of the fact that it consisted of my name, date of birth, address and the words 'no' and 'comment'

I think by now they realize that I am not going to put up with this shit. And that I am NOT somebody who EVER backs down to a bully. Attempting to pressure or coerce me, or worse, to do it to a loved one, is one thing that is absolutely 100% guaran-fucking-teed to turn me as defiant and stubborn a cunt as ever was born. Going for compensation, I have enough history from those cocksuckers and of such a nature that I don't think I can lose. Using medical needs (and the meds were available, I had my own with me so non-availability was most certainly not a possible excuse) as a weapon, the prick responsible, I'm going after his job too. And I'll bleed the bastards as dry as I possibly can. And just to rub it in their faces, compensation, will be spent on lab equipment. Hell I might even send them a photo saying 'hey thanks for the IR spec, you fucking porcine donut munching shitbags, now drink bleach and die of cancer'

One thing that ISN'T going to happen, though, is my getting rid of, selling or otherwise, my lab equipment and/or reagents. I must have spent tens of thousands (£) over a lifetime building it, it is my pride and joy and to stop me, they are going to have to shoot me.
I'll do what I bloody well want to do to be quite honest and if they don't like it they can suck my autistic fucking dick and call it ice cream. And beg for second helpings when I piss in their eyes. (heh, although I haven't yet pissed in a coppers eyes, did do it all over one of their vans once, after they, probably deliberately, knowing I was absolutely bursting for a piss, wouldn't let me into the pig shop to use the toilet. Warned them alright, either let me use the bog, or I'm going, right here, right now. They didn't, so I did. Walked all around the meat wagon and made sure to piss all over it, and especially on and under the driver and passanger side door handles. They did start to come after me, but stopped when I told them I still had plenty in reserve, and I was damn well going to stay there and empty my bladder, and that if they got within range then I'd stop pissing on, over and into the meat-wagon, and turn the hose on them. I almost broke out laughing so hard that it was difficult TO piss, when they actually did realize I fucking well meant it, and had no choice but to stand there and wait, watching, as I finished. Serves them right for deliberately making me wait until doubled over in pain because I needed a piss that badly. The look on the faces of the two filthy fucking swine in question was absolutely fucking priceless=D

Also have had them send the fire dept round too. Although they at least were alright, the firemen, they were decent human beings, unlike any fucking cop piece of sewage, they were good enough to give me some heavy duty fire-blankets lest anything like sodium, potassium, silanes, LAH, diborane or what have you catch on fire, some THF or ether goes up in flames etc. and insisted on fitting a CO detector to the boiler, and I managed to blag one for the lab. They wanted to fix it in position, but managed to talk them into just handing it over, when I told them that if I'm actually going to use CO or do something that generates it as a byproduct then I want to be able to scan the area with it and be able to move it about and see where it is and when it is, and unlike the pigs they actually saw the sense in that.

The only concession I've made, or will make for them is that I now label certain chemicals, the things that either are pyrophoric, like white phosphorus, LAH, or extremely toxic, granted its because I don't want my reagents igniting, or some copper dropping dead before they can put the cap back on a bottle, or doing something like say, opening up my iodine monochloride, starting to choke and dropping the stuff, contaminating my clean lab and wasting something I spent the effort to make and safely store. I just hope they don't think its because I'd give the slightest hint of a gnat's turd about a porker choking to death on his own blood plasma turned to acid in his lungs. In fact I'd probably just put on my mask, stand there and watch. I'd dance for glee, only I really don't have any talent in any way shape or form when it comes to dancing.

And david hahn? the guy who built his own thorium-cycle breeder reactor? that was fucking neat as hell. I can't say I approve of his approach to safety at all, he screwed up there, but the ingenuity and achievement itself, now that I do admire. One thing I want to do myself when I have the money, is to build a proton/deuteron isochronous cyclotron/cyclosynchrotron.

That would explain the need for helium. And a bigger lab, if you wanted decent energies.

Don't be so harsh with the hard-working civil servants too interested in your alchemy--after all, they're only looking out for your safety. And be grateful for what I assume is pale skin. Even a white dude might lose a kidney for pissing on a cop car. Okay, sorry first sentence is sarcasm, last is mild hyperbole at most. Middle is speculation.

And yes, scrofa is specifically a sow; also, in the San Joaquin a few school districts not in receivership or restructuring after bankruptcy, maintain a pool as a minimum life saving measure during 45C weather, and as shelter for the inevitable wildfire, although this year has been different.

Well I'd not be looking for an internationally funded (well I'd like that obviously but it ain't gonna happen:p) CERN-size facility for isotope production. But I'd be happy enough with something I could use for experiments, and for production of sufficient quantities of tritium and of radiocarbon isotopes for experiments involving radioligands. That way I could try my own receptor binding/displacement studies which would be neat, being able to go look at all those odd-ball compounds out there that just aren't being researched.

Like, say, for example, Shulgin's weird ass tryptamines with the amine nitrogen featuring the alkyl groups as a constrained, cyclized ring, like the PYR-T derivatives. I'd love to assay those against cell lines transfected with various 5-HT receptors, acetylcholine receptors, NMDA receptors etc. and see just what makes them so dramatically different (and quite unpleasant sounding)

As for me, yes I'm white, although I am not an american.
As for the pig car, I didn't give them much choice really. I HAD to piss, and thought might as well not waste it. And who wants to come closer when they know for a fact that they'll get pissed ON if they approach? plus they were on camera, it was in the docking space for incoming pig vehicles, so they couldn't have turned their personal cameras off and started beating on me, to say nothing of the fact that I'd hopefully at least manage to break a kneecap or ankle, rupture a hamstring or two.

Well now, there's something I have some hands-on experience with.

Usually don't bother with 3H for these assays, since you want to avoid mixing with the solvent and I think it's mainly for NMR anyway.
The common isotopes are 32P and I forgot the sulfur one. Also iodine, maybe 135.

Phosphorous as a phosphate, usually in a nucleotide, so dGTP* for example, if you wanted to probe DNA or RNA.

Sulfur to label proteins at methionine. All for purchase! Ready-made, no need to build a cyclotron in your house.

But OK, you've got your dozen 5-HT receptors cloned and expressed, your molecule ready (I'm not sure what assay you'd use, but I don't think it involves isotopes), you get a Ki that says your PYR-T binds weaker at 2a then most psychs, we'll put it at 500nM. What then? (that's not rhetorical)

Let's say you also eat some, and it's conclusively active but different.

I'd pass on taking the stuff myself. Ever read the reports in PIHKAL for PYR-T and 5-MeO-PYR-T ? sound like something you'd want to repeat? could quite potentially prove dangerous without somebody present capable of restraining you if necessary. It was reported to cause a blackout-like state (along with nausea, vomiting, suggesting, perhaps some 5-HT3 receptor agonism [which would make for a most effective emetic, ever been sick and taken ondansetron? Its usually reserved here for cancer patients on the nastier chemo regimens because its horribly expensive to the NHS, but I eventually got a script for it for some pretty bad stomach problems, bad enough to have landed me in the ER twice, and its taken me from curled up in the foetal position, projectile vomiting every minute to two minutes or so to sitting upright, reading and even going for a crafty blaze up after being given a shot of ondansetron, now I have it in tablet form on rx, and god damn is it ever effective. When given as IM injection in the ER, went from feeling like death getting blood and mucus diarrhea sharted on to completely fine within minutes.

More curious about 5HT6 binding and 5HT7 binding

And it isn't binding at 5HT2aRs that I'm interested in with these particular tryptamines, more interested in whether they bind 5HT26 and 5HT27. If you remember TIHKAL reports on PYR-T and the like because these two are particularly, amongst 5HT receptors involved in short-term and long-term memory formation as well as wakefullness and circadian rhythms. 2-ethyl-5-methoxy-DMT for example (see wiki named as EMDT) is a fairly potent (low 20s nanomolar affinity) full agonist for 5HT6Rs and inhibits both short-term and long-term memory formation. Which might well fit in with the causation of a fugue-like state and/or ambulant blackout, just look what happens with the various poor rotten bastards who go and try to get high on antimuscarinic tropanes and the like.

And as for no need to build a cyclotron in the house...............the potential for production of the small quantities of select radioisotopes for binding studies, thats just a side benefit. I just have a major bent for all things scientific. Always have done. I can't help myself, I really can't. If I don't get my fix of information on a regular basis I start climbing the walls and gnawing holes in the ceiling :p

Its the kind of thing I'd do for fun, basically. Because its fascinating. I started off as a mycology/botany geek at about 4yo (actually its how I taught myself to read, using mycology textbooks) and as soon as it was physically possible, when finances became available and I could get a debit card from my bank, I started off building my own lab and never stopped. Despite having to rebuild from scratch because of a pig raid (on no legitimate grounds) I've by now way outclassed the spesh highschool science lab in terms of both equipment and reagents, plenty of which they wouldn't have been allowed to have on the premises (such as white P, for example)

Quite honestly, I can't imagine why anybody WOULDN'T want their own particle accelerator:p the structure of the universe is fascinating, and in terms of capacity to examine it, accelerators are the most practical since there is very much a limit on what one can see on the mega-macro scale using telescopes, since one cannot exactly build a network of 50-meter radiotelescopes in one's backyard in the middle of an estate outlying a city. People would notice, bitch about planning permission et cetera. And I get enough funny looks from the likes of neighbors on one side of the house (those on the other side are friends and know about my proclivity for chemistry and aren't unused to my working outside wearing a protective overcoat with elbow-length gloves over the outside of the coat-arms along with goggles, gas mask and full-face blast shield, covering up to the forehead and down to the chest) and distilling things that start smoking on contact with air, or outright burst into flames when exposed to air (not to mention the occasional mishap, such as an alembic breaking whilst being used for the distillation of white phosphorus, first cracking at the side, spewing gouts of phosphorus pentoxide vapor and bright white fire where the P vapor hit the surrounding air (the actual alembic was purged with argon to avoid combustion within the glassware itself) and then actually shattering. Crappy glass that should have been able to withstand the temperatures it was being exposed to from the way it fell to pieces. The fireball was quite an impressive sight, with small flaming nuggets of WP being propelled in most directions right across the garden, and with the low MP of white phosphorus, melting as they flew, dripping trails of blinding white glow-ey fire. Granted I didn't exactly hang around too close to that one for too long, but it was a beauty of a sight. Even if it means I do have to replace my alembic.)

What can I say...its in my blood. Autistic thing probably. Been the same since the moment I could read, and I could hazard a guess that given the way I taught myself to read, and the material I went for as first reading material, then quite possibly it was there right from the start. Good job I did build it, that way if ever the internet connection goes down, I can dig the books out and get to work in there and avoid going stir-crazy as a junkie who's just been robbed of his H score bought with his last currency. Actually now I need a bigger place to put the lab, since the space I have, there is very, very little space left on my reagent shelves, the glassware and microscopy supplies are getting full to the point where nothing more should be added, and most of the kitchen cupboards are stuffed with everything from 2-pyrrolidone to isopropanol, to KMnO4, I've had to get a separate fridge, so I can store my DCM, my THF, diethyl/diisopropyl ether,, iodine, NaBH4, EtOAc, ICl, ICl3, nitroalkanes and all manner of other bits and pieces and keep the containers cold to avoid evaporation and loss through the containers and keep them away from food at the same time (that fridge is, my old man's fish-bait aside, reserved entirely for chemicals, since most of what is in there you really don't want near anything that is intended to be eaten)

Although I'm not above using otherwise unused parts of the kitchen freezer for chilling benign things like ether, ethanol, isopropanol, well-sealed bottles of acetone and such, but I wouldn't, and don't, keep anything nasty in there.

As for 3H, I've read an awful lot of papers where displacement of say, tritiated NA, or 3H-DA were used in displacement assays for ligand binding studies.

Another thing, that I'd want even more though is to build (and on this I could doubtless get assistance, my old man has built plenty amplifiers, has oscilloscopes and the like) a patch-clamp/cell-clamp setup which unlike radioligand assays (which, as I understand it are solely for determination of binding rather than actually observing WHAT is going on in terms of the action of the compound, instead solely telling one whether it has affinity or not for the receptor being tested) whereas patch/cell clamp technique can actually determine the responses to various ligands, and distinguish partial vs full agonism, antagonism, inverse agonism, whether a ligand is competitive, noncompetitive or uncompetitive etc.

Oh, and carbon is tetravalent, not trivalent. C has the capacity to bind up to four hydrogens or other atoms by a single bond. Or two atoms connected by double bonds, a double bond and two single bonds, or a triple bond and one single bond. Triple bonds being the highest common bonding mode between atoms, although in certain circumstances, quadruple, quintuple, and even sextuple bonds are known to exist (bond orders higher than three are found almost exclusively in certain transition metals, chromium, molybdenum ruthenium, and tungsten in particular. In the gas phase, tungsten exists as a W2 dimer that has a sextuple bond (that can't have been too easy, vaporizing tungsten. Rather them than me), whilst quadruple bonds are observed in some molybdenum compounds, such as K4Mo2Cl8 which has a Mo==Mo quadruple bond)

I don't remember mentioning carbon.

So yeah, binding assays, your substrate needs a label; and since it's usually a small molecule, and the ones you're interested in aren't exactly in the Sigma catalog, you'd have to label during synthesis yourself. But why 3H has advantages over an isotope of C, N or O (when available) I have no idea, but if I had to BS I'd arblebarlb signal/cost, although I'd think ease of synth would be more important, especially if you can buy some kind of N-labelled indole precursors off the shelf. As fun as it is the first time, you really don't want a lot of rad waste around, not so much for health, but for regulators. But I'll take your word 3H does at least not have major disadvantages on balance.

I'll share trivia with you: use of isotopes to probe enzyme catalytic mechanisms. You can use the mass difference, especially with hydrogen, to look for changes in kinetics to determine reaction order. Usually it takes longer for heavier isotopes when they're involved in a rate-limiting step, proportional to mass.

Except for one enzyme, where swapping a deuteron on the substrate essentially kills the reaction.

Much confusion and many grants later and the answer is quantum tunneling within the enzyme, the mass difference affecting the odds of simply being somewhere else for no reason at all, much much more than a factor of 2. That's the routine chemistry of the enzyme on its substrate, using tunneling.

Next you'll tell me how serotonin actually has more than seven receptor families, and double the dozen types I thought.

Also "bond" becomes rather loose with your examples.

There are, according to wikipedia, 14 known types of 5HT receptor, more if you count the difference between E.g pre- and postsynaptic 5HT1a receptors, which have quite different effects in vivo when an agonist is taken that is selective for one over the other. One has anxiolytic effects the other anxiogenic effects, plus at least one, maybe two that are expressed in some animal species but are nonfunctional in humans.

There are 5HT1 through 5HT7 receptors in humans, and multiple subtypes of these, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-HT_receptor

And the quantities of rad waste created would, given the quantities of isotope required to stimulate/antagonize a single cell, or a couple of cells, or isolated cell membrane patches would be miniscule, a few microcuries or less, and the lot could simply be dumped into a lead pig and left to decay. And in any case they would emit far less radiation than say, the kilo quantities of thorium oxide, or uranium nitrate that I could, if I wished to, buy. Hell, once I've built a proper display case for the element collection, I won't be happy with it until I have the likes of technetium, polonium, uranium (depleted, 238U), a sample of Pu that can be detected via geiger counter, neptunium (IIRC some russian smoke alarms use a small quantity of neptunium rather than 241Am for the detector innards), and something that includes astatine in the decay chain, so that at any moment there will be at least a few atoms of At hanging around in there) of course, all such things would be sealed in lead/boron/cadmium-doped blocks of borosilicate glass, and the isotopes chosen being alpha or beta emitters rather than either heavy duty neutron emitters or gamma emitters. And of course, a sample of tritium. Plan is to build a miniaturized geiger counter directly in contact with the samples of the radioactive elements, and seal it as a unit in doped lead glass to block any radiation. And being alpha emitters or beta emitters, the danger is from ingestion, not from penetrating power of the emitted radiation.)

Hell I'd go for Np myself if needs be via neutron bombardment of 238U. And I don't want large quantities, something like a thin film, plated onto fr.ex a thin strip of gold to support it, and show off the color of the metal (or metalloid in the case of Po).

As for superheavy transactinides, I've probably little chance. But if any of them could be achieved with a home cyclotron and detectors for the decay products, production of an atom or two would do me, it'd count as having caught the element even if I can't keep it. Having made it would be enough, having done the work and caught that atom, measured its decay chain and verified its fleeting existence.

I've just got a bent for chemistry, bio and physics (especially interested in condensed matter physics though in terms of physics). I am, and always have been a science junkie, who will end up stark raving, running through the streets naked shouting things about jesus and mating with badgers if I both can't get online and use sci-hub to crack the paywalls and read everything I need, for whatever it might be I want to do in the lab at the time.

That place, its my pride and joy. My life's work, and I pour, bar what I cannot avoid spending in order to eat enough to survive, into the lab. It is my sanctum sanctorum, my home within home, and I love that room like I'd love a child, in essence, it sort of IS my baby. And every single bit of glass, from the smallest 5ml microflask/inbuilt vigreaux and vacuum takeoff to the biggest 3-neck RBF and longest vigreaux, from the lowliest liebig to the most efficient Dimroth condenser, and from the simplest bottle of naphtha to the big cans of THF, bottle of DIY iodine monochloride...love em all as if they were my own bodyparts. Yeah, weird maybe, but hey, thats being an autie scientist for ya=D

And when I hear of the likes of unis just buying new glass and throwing away masses of old reagents and dumping glassware in the skip, to me that is heresy of the vilest kind, Absolutely shocking to throw perfectly good glass away rather than donate it to home scientists, its an abomination.

Lemme pause the opening: it doesn't matter how much, if any, rad waste you produce, and even if you were running 2D northerns all day long, wouldn't be more than a shot glass, the place will be treated as though it's Chernobyl. The amount of work just to prove you checked after you "cleaned" the nothing you spilt, is not fun.

One reason is the sensitivity of a geiger counter. One invisible microliter of dilute probe on the shoe of a colleague wound up shutting a wing of a building down while folks in moonsuits came in (mainly because he hadn't realized it was on his shoe, and his end-of-day check read hot everywhere he looked, true story, names and doxxed on request, cause he's an arrogant bastard). This is in no way proportional to the dangers. In the end his shoes were put up on a shelf for two weeks, and a short half-life took care of it.

32P is a beta emitter, wouldn't hurt you if it hit you. Coming in the form of a nucleotide makes ingestion a little more risky. But the shit seriously comes died green, maybe 50ul tops, in an acrylic cube, housed in a lead container, stored together in another acrylic box in the fridge. All of these containers are tracked of course. Can't just throw one away even if it's tested clean five times.

Yeah I am well aware. And alpha/beta emitters are much more dangerous if ingested than external exposure.

Also, I don't have a supervisor, and have to rely on myself for my own safety checks.

Also, the guy who got the radioisotope on his boots, why was he not wearing impermeable over-shoe 'gloves' (presume you'll know what I mean there, disposable 'shoe gloves') that are single use.

And as you remark about isotopes with short half-lives, those are the main ones I'd want to work with in the first place, for exactly that reason. Any contaminated equipment could be tossed in a lead pig and left until its fully decayed twice over before reopening it (in the case of something that wasn't disposable of course)

And an acrylic cube, surrounded by lead, in another acrylic box, in a freezer/fridge? for a beta emitter? and of course, you don't know me, but I do not just do what many other self-employed, self-driven and autodidactic chemists/biologists might, and often do, do. And just throw away hazmat waste down the drains (that said, if I did that, I wouldn't have a drain anymore, I'd more than likely have a big smoking, hissing crater that throws up sparks whenever it rains.

I'm not just careful with my waste, actually I dispose of very little. I can't actually remember (shit memory not withstanding, but in this case, time is the cause) the last time I had to actually dispose of any chemical waste. Almost everything bar the dreaded polymerized organic tarry shite kind of thing (which gets burnt) gets recycled. I don't (save for working on a scale of a few ml to tens of ml and in the case of not-too-awful for the environment solvents) dump them after use, even in a chemical waste dump. I distill them off, and redistill them, then assign the particular quantity to performing the same reaction as it was used for in the first place unless something occurs to make it untenable. Although solvents that exist as cryogenic liquids, those for practical reasons are an exception (such as liquid NH3 fr.ex) since recovery of such a cheap and overall not too noxious when diluted away and evaporated (or better, led in the vapor phase, into a container of HCl or other mineral acid, or organic acid to recover the ammonia as say, the chloride, or the useful ammonium formate, ammonium acetate salts). Heavy metals compounds (typically ending up as oxides) get smelted down, and in the case of the more common ones, sold for scrap metal (E.g lead, beyond my needs for lead metal and Pb compounds), mercury that gets recovered, accounted for and kept for personal re-use, with every possible effort made to account for each and every little droplet as best as can be done, soluble salt solutions treated with fine copper powder, to plate out the Hg as a thin surface layer that can then be filtered off and the Hg recovered) and if I ever end up working with thallium, of course that'd be recovered as the metal, and any Cd or cadmium compounds that come through the lab, they too get recovered and kept for reuse. I won't even chuck away mercury batteries or Ni-CAD cells (partly for environmental/toxicity reasons, although partly because in the case of many, if not most battery cell types there is SOMETHING in there that I want to take out of them. Throw a Li (metal) battery away? you must be kidding. Got piles of E-cig batteries that died due to a circuit connection breaking, wires coming off etc. that are still charged, and despite having a jar of reagent-grade lithium as reasonably thick squareish slices, stored under argon, the jar neck teflon-taped to the point of being the alkali metal equivalent of autoerotic asphyxiation, inside an inner bag, outside of which has a couple of inches of a mixture of anhydrous CaCl2 and fine magnesium dust to serve as an O2 absorbent (and despite there being no oil in there whatsoever, it nevertheless has kept just as well as the day the packet was first opened) I still value the thin, thin foil form to be ripped out of batteries for a Birch-Benkeser reduction variant which employs rather than cryogenic liquid NH3, a continual stream of NH3 gas being passed into diethyl or diisopropyl ether, protected by a flow of argon, or at least a blanket of Ar, and battery lithium, after being wiped clean under ether or something like pentane, to rid it of electrolytes, sliced up into fine little tiny shreds. The large surface area and the metal being in the form of a thin foil permit it to react in a reasonable time to form a solvated electron ethereal solution (takes an hour or so at least, works best with an aquarium diffuser airstone to lead in the predried NH3 stream) but a dark, dark violet blackish-blue solution does indeed form, and this does, indeed, serve to reduce the same sorts of substrates as would be reduced if the reaction took place in anhydrous ammonia in the liquid phase. Still has to be dry of course (CaO being the favoured base to liberate the NH3 from an ammonium salt since that way H2O addition can be tightly controlled with a pressure-equalized addition funnel, and the CaO also serves as a dessicant, although its still a good idea to pass it through a drying tube packed with more quicklime before through a condenser running cold water to help take away some of the heat from the rather exothermic hydration of the CaO, or alternatively barium oxide can be used) and unlike using hydroxides, there is no inherent generation of water from the reaction between the base and the salt.

And as for recycling things, even the likes of MnO2 from batteries is recycled, dissolved in acid to give a soluble salt and either used as such after cleaning it up, filtering off the carbon crap etc. or (currently trying to figure out how to recover it, given the reactive nature of the metal) thermited to reduce it to elemental Mn. (don't you just love thermite reactions? so useful. Just recently made some elemental silicon that way, from some scrap potassium silicate (treated with sulfuric acid, the potassium sulfate washed out and used as a dessicant, whilst the precipitated very fine silica was mixed with aluminium dust and then set ablaze in a closed crucible, and the only thing to go down the drains was some inert Al-based slag after dissolving out the oxides with concentrated sulfuric, plus a little remaining 98% H2SO4, followed down the drains with a goodly squirt-down from the garden hose. And since people swallow and shit out aluminium hydroxide IIRC in some antacids, and IIRC alum or something like it is used as a flocculant in water supply treatment, and folk use conc. sulfuric as drain cleaner, IMO no wrong done. nothing went down the drain that would pollute awfully And left me with some nuggets of elemental silicon for an element collection (tested with a little conc. NaOH, which also went down the drain, and is also commonly used for unblocking drains and shitters, to ensure that the nuggets of metal, once they stopped glowing blazing hot from the aluminothermic reduction, were not molten Al, a total absence of hydrogen evolution proved, since the only other metal/metalloid present was potassium or aluminium, and it certainly was not potassium, which would have been blindingly buggering obvious to even the most amateur chemist when tested with NaOH solution in water:p and other than that, sulfate, and sulfur would be vaporized away to nothing (well, SO2/SO3) in a thermite-temperature reaction and alum would be soluble in H2O and nonmetallic, it had therefore, to have been Si.

(lol that is the kind of thing that ends up happening when I can't sleep, or get comfortable lying down. To the lab I go, and out comes the glassware, crucibles, electrodes and the like and 'things' start to happen=D) I'm not above grabbing a midnight snack. But am more likely to go for a midnight iodine monochloride synthesis/distillation, CrO2Cl2 synthesis, liberating Br2 from bromides, go distill some ether from an alcohol and hot, conc. H2SO4)

The problem is, its just so much more INTERESTING than sleeping. They say the devil makes work for idle hands. In my case, he doesn't, because I'll already have got in first.

We didn't have supervisors either in grad school, especially the few times we actually wanted one to sign off on things like manuscripts.

Health & Safety manage to insist on a labcoat and glasses for radiation work, and that's it for personal protection. You wouldn't bother with shoe covers unless you had anyone else around with a geiger counter who might spread an atom or two around.

For waste disposal, here in California there's plenty of restrictions on things, strangely not on transgenics. You are required to destroy them, but if you spill half of it on the way to the incinerator, autoclave or bleach, well, it'll die soon anyway.

I'm sure some transgenic Arabidopsis has taken wild around campuses. Really it's the microorganisms. Lab strains are pretty delicate, but lateral gene transfer is too easy for them, especially when packaged on plasmids designed for delivery. I always thought you could figure out popular research targets by sampling the waste water stream. Recombinant serotonin receptors would have a hard time transfecting us, but try not to use resistance markers for crucial antibiotics in your future cell lines.

I worked with Saccharomyces, created maybe 200 strains. Have you ever wondered how a single-celled fungus can get in your grape juice? They aren't put there by people, even on their dirty feet. They're already on grapes in the field--if you've ever rubbed the "dust" off, you've seen wine yeasts. Fruit flies bring them over from whatever spilled grape juice they came from. Universities that do yeast research also do Drosophila research. The flies all get out. That means the yeast do too.

Well for transgenics at least you can do something like engineer the strain to be auxotrophic for a specific nutrient or set of them, rendering it unable to survive outside of a petri dish or fermentation tank.

Yeah I am aware of that, I'd not be in any hurry to say, accidentally let a carbapenem-proof, vancomycin-eating, penicillinase-expressing, inhibitor-resistant, macrolide-munching monster-yeast, ergot, human cell line etc. loose because of horizontal transfer, viral transmission of the devil only knows what, but god just suspects big time off the leash. Actually I really do want to get into some home transgenics of more functional uses too. One can do a lot of delicate chemistry with enzymes, stereoselectively to things that would shrivel and die at the least hint of more than a chemical reagent love-tap in an RBF.

Never went to grad school though. High school (a special ed school actually) yes. But by that time, my lab was better than theirs. And I reckon the science teachers would have stood there gawping if ever they had come to my house to see the setup even then.

Got NO desire to do any fruit-fly research or any other animal research. I just....its a line I will not cross. NO creature will suffer in my lab, because of its deliberate or known presence there. That is something I will not, and will never allow. Cell lines, yes. A thing that can suffer, absolutely not. Lol, people think me odd, even my old man, because I take the time to pick up and move slugs and snails out of the way of the likely path of stamping feet. Saying 'its only a snail/slug', whereas *I* think 'well how would you like something a thousand times your size stamping your internal organs into your skeleton and leaving you a gloopy pile of bone-shard-impaled organ-mulch that begs inside for a way to scream as it dies for someone to put you out of your fucking misery???'

And as for US regs, Its UK ones that I'd need to be following. Although for me, personally, there isn't a health and safety department, there isn't an ANYTHING department, just 'the lab' and 'the me' so I have to be my own health and safety, etc. inspector. Its me that'd have to give me my own bollocking essentially.

Although that isn't at all intended to suggest that I go about things in a cavalier way and halfarsed, halfcocked. Don't get me wrong, I love the freedom to choose my projects, to run them as I see fit, why I see fit and when i see fit without somebody crawling up my ass, it fosters creativity, and at least there is nobody lurking ominously overhead reading my notes and trying to find a reason to account for each and every ml of THF, scrap of nitromethane or nitroethane and corresponding use of benzaldehyde within the same month, etc. and adding up reported yields for each and every procedure then go weighing everything to determine if its true or not and so on and so forth.

But yeah, never went to grad school. I'd love to go to uni; take organic chemistry as a major and minor in genetic engineering, mostly so I can build up skills to take back home with me, but I'd love the chance to get PAID for what I do, rather than have to pay FOR it all. As it is though, I'm self taught, apart from some of the real basics in the second spesh school. (even if one of the lab teachers did insist on checking the insides of my ballpoint pens for hidden bits of magnesium ribbon, after obviously seeing a piece longer than needed for the lesson's purpose get work-hardened and snapped off and stuffed up into the inside of a pen on the sly as quick as possible and getting clocked getting others to do the same for me and contribute some of theirs:p)

Sad thing is you can't audit a lab course for free. You can walk into any lecture hall in just about any university and listen; it's the line on your CV that you pay for. Lab classes consume materials, and you'll have to pony up for those (a huge fraction is subsidized by all the liberal arts majors). Biology gets expensive real fast, and it's essential to have pooled resources.

I mention California, because I didn't follow US standards either; we have a more enlightened view on the environment, even more stupid about regulations. You heard of Prop 65 warnings? I think back in 80's the voters approved it, requiring all kinds of public and private facilities to warn everyone if they had carcinogens on site. Obviously that includes every building in the state, including restaurants serving booze. It doesn't require the warning to be specific, so all public and private (non-residential) buildings have a little plaque hidden somewhere that helpfully says:

hqdefault.jpg

Ampicillin/penicillin resistance is such a common marker it's probably only used in lab strains. Various -mycins are used routinely, work better. There are pretty bad limitations to the work you can do with auxotrophic markers, mainly in the number you can add; they tend to have health problems besides. There really aren't that many that aren't "leaky"--microorganisms routinely face nutritional deficits, and have backup pathways to compensate, but which makes them too slow-growing. The uracil counter-selection I used left uracil in the media but included a substrate, 5-flouro-orotic acid, that only wild-type could metabolize, which they did into a poison, and my mutants sputtered along barely alive (until I crossed them back in to healthier strains). Granted they were also doing minor genome rearrangements.

One catch even with antibiotic resistance is that many don't actually murder your little guys, they just prevent cell wall formation or division, basically arresting growth. Returning to media means they'll pop right back from the grave. So plating a lawn and looking for colonies of trasformants, may pick up a few wild-type in the process.

Used to be vectors that had color-markers, although there are better methods now. You used an antibiotic to select transformed bacteria, and a color change to blue in colonies that had been transformed with a properly cloned insert, because it would have interrupted the promoter region of a galactose gene, and accumulated whatever we stuck in the media. Or that's backwards, I don't remember.

Yeast have an adenosine marker that allows another color change, to red. Now, for our recombination assays, different strands of the same chromatid are involved, and can be followed through meiosis by watching sectors in the resulting colony, so they all look like those after-dinner hard candies.

Anyway, no, you def. don't want to work with flies. They'd get in your fridge anyway.