• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

My province has given up trying to create a Marijuana market.

Thomas Davie

Moderator: CD
Staff member
Manitoba has a climate that has never been very MJ friendly; 0 active dispensaries in Winnipeg and no political will to create a recreational market by July 1rst next year. No preparations, little public polling or hearings - nothing. And the premier of my province wanted 1 one year delay on legalization (to July 1rst, 2019), but was refused.

Throwing up their collective hands, my province is requesting that 'interested parties to production, distribution and retail solutions submit an expression of intent' - in other words, if you have an idea of how to grow, move or sell it, please talk to us.

And in the event that a system is not in place by July 1rst, then someone in my province could order MJ through the federal mail or personally cultivate. Not having a retail system in place would hurt tourism, so I fully expect one to be existent and running on day 1. I think franchising and co-branding with businesses in other provinces is likely.

I'm not sure but I think my province is settling on 19 as a minimum age of access.

Tom

Oh jeez, you're from Manitoba?? That is rough for toker.
I guess if you come up with something you have a chance to be a big fish in a small pond though.

im surprised there are no dispensaries in MB but soliciting proposals from people who might actually have some idea of how to create an appropriate retail market does sound smarter than the way ON is approaching it...

im surprised there are no dispensaries in MB but soliciting proposals from people who might actually have some idea of how to create an appropriate retail market does sound smarter than the way ON is approaching it...

It looks like OLCC will be involved in selling weed? That's a fear I had in Manitoba until the Conservatives took over from the NDP - and then started doing nothing. Now, with less than 11 months to go until legalization, nothing done in province - provincial leaders are facing the prospect of zero tax revenue, zero influence on how the market develops and an unpredictable effect on the black market. If Manitoba does nothing, then it's mail order MJ.

So we're basically inviting companies in that can set up turn key solutions. And it looks as if each province/territory will be able to set it's own production rules. I'm waiting for the announcement that a license will be required for home cultivation (paranoid thought).

I still wonder how the recreational and legal systems will be kept separate....

Tom

[I'm going to build up my stash as much s possible and prepare for the Canadian weed apocalypse of 2018 - I just don't see this getting done properly and predict medical shortages]

Last edited:

Mooo....

Last edited: