Mental Health Prescribed xanax (alprazolam) first time

Achten

Bluelighter
This is not for me, but for a friend, really ,?

You don't need to believe me to give a helpful comment.

So my friend is prescribed xanax (alprazolam, i believe) because of his fucked up situation. Dad dying of brain cancer with max a few months to live and, maybe more importantly, his dad's new partner (not my friend's mom) that is extremely intense about the situation. The whole town offers support but they push everyone away with negative vibes. I'm talking agressive shouting and not talking to people who have the best interest in them. Without giving too many details, i think she has mental problems but she thinks everyone else has a problem. In short, fucked up family dynamics. Anyway, can't blame my friend (age 32) for needing medicinal help.

But the doctor apparently didn't mention anything about mixing with alcohol and driving.

I think he has been on it for at least 3weeks, every morning 0,5mg and most afternoons as well. He tried to go a day without but couldn't handle it.

My questions:

- How bad is mixing with alcohol? I'm talking little to moderate drinking few times a week, and heavily boozing once a week.
- is it possible his personality is changing? He seems extremely "laidback" about the situation now (but i know, and he tells me, he isn't).
- will (and if yes, when) he need to increase his dose to get the same effect?
- he is going to get the full load of emotions when he comes off it, right?

Thank you kindly for reading !

Mixing alcohol and alprazolam can cause respiratory depression, which can lead to death.

Personal anecdote: I've never had to be admitted to a hospital for mixing it.
Serious suggestion: don't drive on high doses of alprazolam. Don't drive on alprazolam and alcohol. Ever. There is nothing in the worth in the world driving intoxicated.

Personality change: while on alpra, emotions are dulled. Euphoria may be felt if there is relief from anxiety. Possible depressive symptoms in some cases. When off alpra, the user may feel an "afterglow" that involves an improved mood and general contentment with life. On the flip side, coming off of a moderate to high dose of may lead to anger and angry outbursts. Continuous use (6+ months) may lead to a slowing of brain cognition. This isn't permanent but it's pain in the ass and will take months-years to return to normal. Benzos are supposed to be used as a short-term solution to a traumatic event or as a preventive measure/treatment for panic attacks.

Yes he will need to up the dose. It depends on the person, and how responsibly they use. If sticking to the label instructions, tolerance should go up slowly; no definitive answer on that. If abusing and upping the dose for no reason, tolerance develops quickly and rebound anxiety when stopping may cause a "relapse" (I put it in quotes because this can happen from just a week or two of use depending on the individual).

The "full load of emotions" really depends on the individual.

Alprazolam seems to be a necessity in your friend's case. However, I feel it is your duty as a friend to find him healthier and long-term solutions to the trauma he is facing. Be able to talk to your friend nonjudgmentally, and understand why he and his family are pushing all the support away. He may feel that he is weak from needing help from others. Perhaps he is afraid of something. Either way, I would highly suggest that you steer your friend gently towards therapy or counseling.