• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

2 Fentanyl overdose deaths in Toronto

Being a careful heroin addict isn't a real thing, or it doesn't matter I should say. Sure you can take test shots and stuff, but every single time you do it in any amount in any ROA you are risking your life. Harm reduction for sticking needles of unidentified powders in your arm? You might live a year or two longer but at the end of the day this shit is killing so many people that it is beyond comprehension. I really think people who deal that shit should be punished much more harshly and I'm not talking jail. That's way too easy on them. I think slow torture leading to death would be more appropriate for someone who sells that fucking garbage and has an overflowing bank account while killing women who understandably have trouble quitting the fucking garbage.

Yes but they have that temporary safe injection site in Moss Park (Toronto) that already saved someone from ODing over the weekend. End of the week should see the first permanent safe injection site in Toronto ready by week's end.

Being a careful heroin addict isn't a real thing, or it doesn't matter I should say. Sure you can take test shots and stuff, but every single time you do it in any amount in any ROA you are risking your life. Harm reduction for sticking needles of unidentified powders in your arm? You might live a year or two longer but at the end of the day this shit is killing so many people that it is beyond comprehension. I really think people who deal that shit should be punished much more harshly and I'm not talking jail. That's way too easy on them. I think slow torture leading to death would be more appropriate for someone who sells that fucking garbage and has an overflowing bank account while killing women who understandably have trouble quitting the fucking garbage.

Shroomy, I agree with you that you are risking your life sustaining an opiate addiction, particularly when you are injecting unknown substances in desperation. BUT, I strongly disagree that the people that are selling the drugs are the evil monsters you see them as. Often they are addicts themselves and I don't see them rolling in riches at all. Now, if you are talking about the manufacturers, or whoever is cutting the fentanyl in, that is another story altogether. Those people know exactly what they are doing and do not care--but often these are labs in other countries so prosecuting is not even an option.

But this heartlessness, this willingness to kill others for money....is it limited to drugs? I see this as part and parcel of what we humans have created for ourselves: an empty vacuous shell of an existence that seems to be fueled by nothing more than never-ending greed. But if you look underneath the greed you will find fear. Fear of ourselves, fear of each other, fear of scarcity, fear of pain, fear of death. We are never going to solve any crisis in terms of drug use without a complete overhaul of how we live on this earth. I try not to be pessimistic but that is a very tall order. The only way I know how to deal with it is to do my part in my little sphere. And by my part I mean practicing peace as a way of relating to my fellow human beings. I don't think torture is something any being deserves though I can definitely empathize and relate to the anger and frustration that may make that seem desirable. (Found myself thinking those thoughts while watching Charlottesville video footage yesterday).

@ Kgeisel: that is great news about the safe injection site! I can only hope that the opiate crisis here will spawn something like that in the more progressive communities. I guarantee you it will not be coming from the mouths of anyone in the federal government.:!

They have opened Ontario's 1st permanant safe injection site in Toronto today. They are continuing with the temporary site at Moss Park due to high usage there. 2 more permanent sites to open this fall! It's about time!