Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Happiness Lost and Anxiety Gained - A Last Ditch Cry for Help

desperatedesperado

Greenlighter
First time posting on Bluelight but hopefully not my last

Long story short: I am a 19 y/o male who has developed lasting anxiety from psychedelics followed by depression/anxiety from MDMA and needs some help getting out of my current mental state

My apologies in advance for including some introspection in the story that follows but thought it might shed some light on my situation

Two years ago, I was a young cocky smart-ass—one who had been relatively sad and depressed (occasional thoughts of self-harm) before but in retrospect chalked it up to seasonal affective disorder and making it through a bad high school experience—who the spring before college discovered weed, soon followed by psychedelics. That summer I started with 3.5g of shrooms, followed by 4 occasions of LSD. I had some bad trips, but dismissed these as bad set and setting and with each following trip tried to restore things to a good note.

That fall, I went to college and pledged a fraternity (something I certainly hadn't thought much about beforehand and was not expecting), an experience that unbeknownst to me at the time put him at high pressure to be a cooler version of himself. I didn't quite realize it but he wasn't all that happy and felt like an imposter, and so me being the idiot I was, one weekend decided to do some drugs to gain some clarity on the matter.

This is where I first went truly wrong.

One weekend night, I did what was likely a gram of shrooms with plans to hang out with my dorm neighbors and fellow psychonauts, but while I was coming up his dumb altered mind reasoned, "Drugs make me happy, I have the strength of mind to handle anything, either I will emerge from this trip sadder or happier and will only be happier if I go all in, so why does it matter how sad I am in the other scenario." I downed a nibble, then two full weed brownies, then out of fear added two tabs of 1P-LSD to the mix. I know: I am an idiot.

What followed was the worst experience of my life: an unspeakably horrible state of compounded fear and sadness in which I could not begin to form rational thoughts or even see anything in the darkness that was my unilluminated dorm room at night. I can't fully recall how I felt in that moment, but all I could even make sense of was that my tongue felt like it was going down my throat and that I should try to stop himself from choking. Maybe 12 hours later, I gained enough rationality to make his way to my neighbors' door, knock, say "drugs" with a haunted look, and lie on their bed for the next day while I picked up the pieces of my shattered mind.

After another day or two, I began to feel like he had recovered and continued about his daily life. What I did not realize is that now I, who had once been a cocky bastard who thought he was smarter than everyone else, suffered from unbelievably intense social anxiety and a conviction that there was something wrong with him. I am not sure when it came into full force since I did not realize at the time my personality had changed from before the traumatic experience, but I became intensely uncomfortable in social interactions and alienated many people that winter. I eventually began to realize how felt and suspected I had developed PTSD from that night, but did not know how to improve. I tripped again at the end of winter with a friend, but felt some strong sense of anxiety and sadness the whole time I felt the need to mask by fighting the need to frown.

I got a second lease on life at the beginning of his spring, when I and another friend did 150mg of MDMA (I do not have a scale or test kit, but a friend of his friend I trust to find good stuff ordered it off the deep web and has one). After his roll, my social anxiety diminished to roughly half the intensity -- still too bad to normally interact with anyone but my best friends, but no longer at the same catastrophic level.

I thought I had found a miracle drug. Five months later, I did it again and had similar results. That fall, I developed a mild dependence on amphetamines because of an intense workload to the point where while on amphetamines I experienced nonstop suicidal ideation, but over 10 weeks after the second roll, I did it again and was the happiest and anxiety-free I had ever been.

Each time I rolled, I drank roughly 1-2 bottles of water/hour and supplemented with more or less the regimen prescribed on RollSafe dot org; I skipped the doses during the actual experience, but drank plenty of Grapefruit and Orange Juice and took ALCAR, Na-R-Ala, Magnesium Oxide, Vitamin C, Grape Seed Extract, CoQ10, and each night starting the night after ECGC and 5-HTP.

In the afterglow that followed my third roll, I kept taking 5-HTP intermittently, until maybe four weeks down the line I took it several nights in a row then twice one day thinking I was expediting his recovery only to feel mentally unwell and confused. I hypothesized this was serotonin syndrome, and it became better after 3-4 days.

Then the second tragedy happened: one night ~8 weeks after his third roll, I had a beer and felt kind of funny, then woke up the next morning feeling very off. As the week went on, I realized I could barely feel any happiness, emotions, or empathy at all. I thought it might be a temporary a brain chemistry rebalancing that would wear off, but it continued for months. I abstained from all substances save for the occasional smoke or drink, and as spring came I optimistically thought it might be getting better, so to continue my recovery from anxiety I rolled again. BIG MISTAKE. After a minor reduction in anxiety and a fine afterglow, I became even more depressed and arguably barely a functional person anymore. I spent the spring, and now summer, throwing himself into my work, but there I has problems too.

It has been 4 months since I last rolled and I can barely think as well as he used to or feel much of anything. My happiness and empathy are gone, my social anxiety still present, my thinking and memory shot, my ability to speak well diminished, and my life just about ruined. I have lost most of my friends and, not really feeling any emotion, I feel more like an empty shell than a person. I need help.

Will I ever feel better? What is the science behind what is happening in my brain? I theorize a significant portion of my serotonin receptors have shut down, but I would love guidance or citations on this. Are there supplements I can take to feel better? Please help, and thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you'll feel better as opposed to getting used to the state you're in and adapting to the point where you're more or less functional. In that sense, yes, it does get better but it will take an extremely long time.

It does get better with time but you should really try and reach out to a counselor or therapist to get an evaluation. Don't wait too long.

@shezinphx Plan on calling a few psychologist offices (not sure I fully understand the distinction between psychologists, therapists, etc. but figured psychologists would be more qualified) for consultations for next week after my job ends. Appreciate the advice

^Just to clarify, psychologists and therapists are talking/counseling therapists and cannot prescribe medications, whereas psychiatrists are medical doctors who can prescribe medications.

If seen at some clinics like an in-patient hospital clinic (exactly where you want to be if you are suicidal) the doctors there can give you access to other therapy modalities as well for depression.

Depression and other conditions after use of various drugs and after life stress (often coincident) can certainly be treated - I am optimistic about that. However, it does take time.

In my personal opinion, if you've never tried psychiatric meds including but it limited to SSRIs, then you should definitely give them some good tries before writing yourself off. Combining therapy modalities can also be effective, for example:

CBT, mindfulness meditation practice (Try the Headspace app to learn the basics), cardio and medications.

Appropriate diagnosis and treatment is important, get yourself to a good psychiatrist.

Thank you @Cotcha, and I may see a psychiatrist, but for several reasons I am very reluctant to try/start taking any medicine, especially at this juncture in time in terms of the demands of the normal life (school, job stuff, parents, etc.) I have tried to lead to this point. I used to be in great shape until I first became majorly depressed this winter but have started exercising at least every other day and eating well in the past two months along with taking up at least 5 minutes of mindfulness meditation practice every morning, something I had tried before but never committed to.

My hope is that at some point in the near future I can be one of the success stories of this forum and help guide others through experiences like what I have been going through. Until then, I really appreciate everyone's input and will try to keep this thread posted with regular updates.

What are people's thoughts on the various antidepressants or other treatments for circumstances like mine? Of course, your mileage varies by the individual, but just wanted to see what people have found has worked and what hasn't, or if there are side effects to be aware of.

As update to last comment, scheduled psychiatrist appointment for next Friday. From what I've read online, I think that Lexapro (escitalopram) might help my condition, but am not knowledgeable about the differences between it and other SSRIs like Prozac (fluoxetine)

What are people's thoughts on the various antidepressants or other treatments for circumstances like mine? Of course, your mileage varies by the individual, but just wanted to see what people have found has worked and what hasn't, or if there are side effects to be aware of.

I have a different suggestion than you might expect, but something you might want to consider as ongoing therapeutic self-treatment, as an adjunct to professional medical treatment.

You should listen to music for at least one hour or more daily, in one sitting, music that you can totally absorb and enjoy, anything you want.

Better if you use earbuds while listening.

More effacious if you close your eyes and feel the music possessing and caressing you. Let it carry you in the universal flow.

If you can follow all of this routine and then do it at about the same time each day (along with exercise, diet, and rest), your psyche will heal, you will learn more about yourself, your mind will appreciate beauty, and, if you can fit in some breathwork and mindfulness techniques along with the music, you can greatly reduce your need for any sort of antidepressants.

I have had depression/anxiety for over 40 years and have been through all the treatment regimens (though there were very few available in the 80s)

All the medications I've been on have only helped me sleep really, and when the later SSRIs came in prozac in particular had a terrible effect on me and removed every human feeling I had (sounds a bit like what you are going through already) although I would say that is a fairly rare reaction and YMMV.

After such a long time, desperate for help, the only thing I found which made any lasting difference was CBT and mindfulness therapy - you must separate yourself from your thoughts/tormenting ruminations and learn to gain some control & perspective over them...how you think = how you feel. I can only wish you all the best mate - good luck.

The drugs may have triggered something already underlying or made it come out faster, but I'm nearly sure it's not the drugs alone that caused this especially since you said you had some depressive episodes before the drugs. So I wouldn't worry much about what you did with the drugs right now and I would go seek therapy and/or medical help as many has suggested before this gets worst.

When a person gets to this level they should always seek help instead of getting stuck in trying to fix one's self alone.

I abused MDMA crystals and pills confirmed to be MDMA weekly for like 2 years. Sometimes more than once weekly. I used the supplements you named but other than that after my first 3-4months I started taking an SSRI after my roll, no later than 6hours after my last dose, as some studies found this block neurotoxicity nearly completely. When I didn't take ssri's my brain felt fried the week after, with taking an ssri dose I barely had any comedowns unless I over done it.

My point is, if someone is getting these issues, and they rolled 3 or 4 times spaced apart like that, probability is not the drug causing the issue.. maybe it triggered an underlying one.. but I doubt that too.

@DrTechno

I would be cautious about using MDMA and SSRIs...it could lead to serotonin syndrome I think

SSRIs on the comedown seem to be safe enough, some studies have had participants combine MDMA and an SSRI and there weren't any safety issues (SSRIs just blocked the effects of MDMA)

@DrTechno

I would be cautious about using MDMA and SSRIs...it could lead to serotonin syndrome I think

Exactly as Cotcha said, SSRI's are safe, especially used on the comedown. If used duing the High it's useless cause they will block a lot of the effects, but there were a couple of studies that showed that SSRI's on the comedown(up to 6hours after the dose) will help prevent most of the neurotoxicity, which also implies that most of the neurotoxicity is done when you are coming down.

From my brief reading I think you first of all need to slow down and calm down. There is a lot of advice regarding this or that drug, which in certain circumstances may be helpful. However it doesn't seem to me to be more drugs you need. As you said before all of this you are cocky etc. but also probable a level headed and mentally healthy individual. It looks like you have subjected yourself to a an extreme drug experience with attendant consequences, and tried to remedy those consequences with more destabilising drug events. More tha likely this has created a vicious circle, and you have been performing iatrogenics on yourself (meaning the intended treatment made things worse). You main problem sound like a persistent lack of homeostasis in your central nervous system, operating erratically beyond baseline. I don't think you need more interventions though drugs etc with some intention it will miraculously return you to a healthy equilibrium.

You said this is your last ditch cry for help. My advice would be change you thinking, stop seeing this as some deep hole you have got yourself in to where you need more drugs to get out-that will be digging yourself a hole. this is very much not the end of the road, you just need to calm down, accept that the return to balance is a long process where the medicine of time itself will do far more than more drugs.

So good advice above was the likes of music and meditation, which you can use to monitor and control your fluctuating moods. proceed with wisdom and caution, and patience and try to regain touch with all of the other wonderful things in life that don't come in small plastic bags.

you're 19, you took too much drugs and think the end is nigh. It very much isn't, so long as you stop running to synthetic compounds and short term solutions - they aren't the answer unless you have naturalised/genetic clinical mental health disorders, which you don't.