• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Seroquel/ambien/xanax

Sourgum12

Greenlighter
Hi all I've been taking seroquel 700mg for around 2 months now and decided to stop cuz of side effects do you know how Iong I'll experience withdrawal? last night I took 100mg seroquel and 10mg norco and I still could not sleep I got desperate and took around 2.5mg xanax it knocked me out but for like 4-5 hours maybe cuz the lack of seroquel and I felt real sick the next day so I went to urgent care and they gave me some ambien 5mg will this help? How long till the seroquel withdrawal will subside? And do you know if seroquel will cause any permanent damage the doc only gave me 10 pills of ambien so I'm hoping after 10 days the seroquel will subside and then I plan on taking some more xanax around .5mg for another 10 days until the seroquel withdrawal leaves and then wean off the xanax is this a good idea for some reason the norcos didn't help me sleep

Hi all I've been taking seroquel 700mg for around 2 months now and decided to stop cuz of side effects do you know how Iong I'll experience withdrawal? last night I took 100mg seroquel and 10mg norco and I still could not sleep I got desperate and took around 2.5mg xanax it knocked me out but for like 4-5 hours maybe cuz the lack of seroquel and I felt real sick the next day so I went to urgent care and they gave me some ambien 5mg will this help? How long till the seroquel withdrawal will subside? And do you know if seroquel will cause any permanent damage the doc only gave me 10 pills of ambien so I'm hoping after 10 days the seroquel will subside and then I plan on taking some more xanax around .5mg for another 10 days until the seroquel withdrawal leaves and then wean off the xanax is this a good idea for some reason the norcos didn't help me sleep

You're going to have to taper off the Seroquel, especially with that dose. I was given Zyprexa about ten years ago and switched to Seroquel due to out of control weight gain from the former. I was on 300mg and I can tell you getting off that shit was a nightmare. I weaned down over a period of weeks and going from literally crumbs to zero was awful. Panic attacks and insomnia unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

That said, if you have continued access to the xanax, it will indeed help immensely. Perhaps try and get your doctor to switch you to a longer acting benzo so you can sleep through the night and not just 4-5 hours. Clonazepam or diazepam would both be good. Even with the benzo, wean yourself down rather than trying to just go from 700 to 100 to 0, or whatever it may have been. That's bad news and even with the benzo, it likely won't go totally unfelt.

You're going to have to taper off the Seroquel, especially with that dose. I was given Zyprexa about ten years ago and switched to Seroquel due to out of control weight gain from the former. I was on 300mg and I can tell you getting off that shit was a nightmare. I weaned down over a period of weeks and going from literally crumbs to zero was awful. Panic attacks and insomnia unlike anything I'd ever experienced.

That said, if you have continued access to the xanax, it will indeed help immensely. Perhaps try and get your doctor to switch you to a longer acting benzo so you can sleep through the night and not just 4-5 hours. Clonazepam or diazepam would both be good. Even with the benzo, wean yourself down rather than trying to just go from 700 to 100 to 0, or whatever it may have been. That's bad news and even with the benzo, it likely won't go totally unfelt.

I agree with this, but I would be careful about using the benzos. If you take benzos for more than a week or two, you may find yourself having to deal with another beast in benzo WD. I would taper off the Seroquel as slowly as you can. You were on a pretty high dosage.

I would also recommend caution with using the Ambien. It will only cause your insomnia to become worse if you use it for too long. I would try to only use the Ambien every other night at most. Did you talk to your doctor about stopping the seroquel? They might be able to help you out or switch you onto a different med.

I don't want to tamper off cuz it will take to long I just want this med out of my system already it gives bad bone pain and restless leg syndrome it's already the 3rd day I'm off except for the first day I only took 100mg and then to 0 for the next couple days I'm just wonder how long withdrawal will be for seroquel I was only on it for less than 2 months about I have xanax zyprex 5mg ambien and phenibut that I'm using and switching to different ones a day so I don't get hooked can withdrawal really be that long for seroquel? I've only been sleep 4-5hours which I can stand

I don't want to tamper off cuz it will take to long I just want this med out of my system already it gives bad bone pain and restless leg syndrome it's already the 3rd day I'm off except for the first day I only took 100mg and then to 0 for the next couple days I'm just wonder how long withdrawal will be for seroquel I was only on it for less than 2 months about I have xanax zyprex 5mg ambien and phenibut that I'm using and switching to different ones a day so I don't get hooked can withdrawal really be that long for seroquel? I've only been sleep 4-5hours which I can stand

2 months isnt terribly long, so your WD might be manageable. I couldn't tell you how long they'll last though.

What were you treating with the Seroquel?

I've been smoking cannabis since I was around 12 heavily for about a decade now I just recently stopped I somehow developed a hypersensitivity to the weed and also some psych problems like bipolar I take lithium for that and now weed gives me bad anxiety and chronic insomnia and developed a severe insomnia and I mean severe to the point that my skin started feeling like it was getting damaged from lack of sleep and started developing heart palpitations so I went to a psych doctor and he prescribed me seroquel I still wasn't able to sleep with it alone and after some research I found out that weed alters gaba receptors so I started supplementing with gaba and that did the trick even with 700mg seroquel alone wasn't helping me sleep so I took gaba together with the seroquel and that did the trick it helped me sleep good continually so I want to be off the seroquel cuz of the side effects bone pain and restless leg syndrome and the fact that I dont like taking synthetic pills I'm chill with the lithium because it's somewhat natural and they sell organic lithium supplements at a health store which I plan on taking soon and just stick to gaba supplements and start living a normal life without drugs the xanax and other meds I mention will only be used to ease my withdrawal and then I'll stop do you know if seroquel will cause any permanent damage at the length and dose that I was taking thanks for the advice well appreciated

Last edited:
Wow that sounds rough man. Whats everything that you have tried taking for insomnia? I would try OTC remedies like melatonin, Benadryl, promethazine, and doxylamine first. If those don't work, trazadone is a fantastic non-addictive option. For me, ambien is a miracle drug for insomnia, but it's a double edged sword.

If you're set on sticking with natural remedies, kava and valerian are worth trying

If your doctor is on board, perhaps you could get prescribed a month of gabapentin for its anxiolytic and mood stabilizing properties (prescribed for such reasons).

Otherwise Slow_Mobius gave you great advice. Please let us know how things progress OP. We are rooting for you! If you are interested, starting a journal in SL to document what you're going through would help far more people than you might imagine. We don't get many discussions of antipsychotic withdrawal here.

Or we could move this thread itself to SL. Alternatively, you might get responses from more folks with this sort of experience in the Mental Health forum. We could also move this there if you like. Let us know.

Thanks for the advice my insomnia struck me when I was 18 and suffered for 6 years and just last month tried the gaba supplements for the first time and was getting a lot of sleep together with the seroquel and most of my health problems seem to be going away. I tried melatonin many times I remember graving a handful of them and taking them and it didn't work I've also tried kava valerian root even catnip and still ineffective also every over the counter med I've tried and still did not work for me I've done other drugs too very minimal like heroin not shot up smoked quite a few times I've tried exsctacy around 10 times and coke like 4 times but it's been years since I've last done any of them. (Its weird I know meth heads that smoke like crazy and they sleep) it's been about 3 days since I've last taken seroquel and I feel slight depression and nausea but as for my insomnia I hate that doctors don't take this seriously I've even ended up in the emergency room a couple times cuz I could not take any more sleep loss and they just brush me away with a script of Ativan that didn't work and was thinking of admitting myself to a psych hospital but thankfully my doc just gave me a script of temazepam and tramadol hope it works I don't know why the xanax didn't work for me I took over a bar and just felt uneasy and as a last resort took 5 mg zyprexa and got a few hours of sleep I think it's cuz of the lack of seroquel I've tried trazadone and nothing I can't take it anymore cause it interacts with my lithium I really think that when the seroquel WD goes away I'll be able to sleep with the gaba alone hopefully. I searched everywhere on the net on how long the withdrawals last I got from a week or less to as long as a few months :( sure move it to where evers best I'm new on here so ya thanks for all your input

Last edited:
I was on 300mg and I can tell you getting off that shit was a nightmare. I weaned down over a period of weeks and going from literally crumbs to zero was awful. Panic attacks and insomnia unlike anything I'd ever experienced.
Oh great. I have weaned down to 25mg and I thought I was a champ. Sometime soon I will cut down to 12.5mg for night dose. let's hope that with the power of super-cannabis extracts and CBD isolate crystals this taper will continue to pose almost zero challenge.

Wow that sounds rough man. Whats everything that you have tried taking for insomnia? I would try OTC remedies like melatonin, Benadryl, promethazine, and doxylamine first. If those don't work, trazadone is a fantastic non-addictive option. For me, ambien is a miracle drug for insomnia, but it's a double edged sword.

If you're set on sticking with natural remedies, kava and valerian are worth trying
and CBD isolate crystals vaporized via an oil-rig (methpipe). I'm telling you bros, this is the door to a very sleepy realm.

I tried CBD it didn't work for me it has an alert like effect I'm pretty sure CBN would work but not that many places sell CBN concentrate and if they do it's hella expensive 50 per gram