• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

CBD and 5HT1A receptor

rjc1390

Greenlighter
I have a somewhat complex question, hope someone can help me out. So I just recently started taking Trintellix ( vortioxetine) for depression and found out that it is a full agonist of the 5HT1A receptor. I have also read that CBD is an agonist for this receptor as well. So my question is, will taking CBD affect my antidepressant and compete with each other so to speak because they are both agonists of the 5 HT1A receptor or would having two full agonists be beneficial and add even more of a antidepressant/anxiolytics effect. So confused don't reall understand how this stuff works.

IMO CBD isn't that appreciable. IIRC it has poor bioavailability and I imagine a lot of its supposed beneficial effects are overblown, but I could be wrong. I wasn't aware of it being a 5-HT1A agonist however. I imagine its mainly active at cannabinoid receptors, assuming you can get sufficient doses into your CNS.

Just my two cents. I wouldn't worry about an interaction. I would however use/add in one thing at a time so you can tell what is working and what is have what effect.

Ive tried CBD a bounch of times and all it did was reverse the "mushy brain" feeling and bad memory effects of THC but nothing more. When i took it after not smoking weed for 2 month it did nothing at all.

I have taken low dose vaped CBD. The stuff is real. I noticed the seratonin effect immediately. I however am sensative to chemicals.

I'd sugggest take your medicine as prescribed, then see what CBD does to it. You can add a little bit at a time.

^I think sekio said a while ago that CBD may transform into THC when heated, or under the acidity of the conditions in the stomach. I could be wrong though