• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Looking for a Cannabis strain similar in effects to Xanax

drfeelgood1

Bluelighter
Hi,

I have been taking Xanax for a while now 0.5mg daily and I want something natural for my panic attacks.
Tried smoking Cannabis during my younger years but I stopped for two reasons. One being that THC speeds up my heart rate and I get panic attacks. Second, I had read that research has been done that marijuana has certain estrogen releasing chemicals that tends to cause man boobs or male breast enlargement in men.

Anyways, Is there a strain that I should get that has a nice mellowing effect for anxiety similar to Xanax which will not tend to speed up my heart rate?
I know that Indica is more sedating than Sativa, but again, I am more concerned if that will also speed up my heart.

I am just scared to try Cannabis again due to the increased heart rate effects...

I highly doubt a specific strain of marijuana would give you an effect similar to taking actual Alprazolam. THC is THC, if smoking weed gives you panic attacks, I wouldnt try to smoke more of it in an attempt to somehow circumvent your expected reactions to a more favorable one

there are a lot of breathing exercises you can do for panic attacks. That is about as natural as you can get, smoking weed is still ingesting a foreign substance into your body. Not exactly a common practice in nature...

as long as you're taking xanax every day you're gonna have a hard time getting rid of your panic attacks.

xanax has nasty rebound and is likely the cause of the day after anxiety and elevated heart rate.

xanax for panic attacks. you can't take it as daily medication. the half-life is too short and will cause rebound anxiety.

unless every day you get a panic attack?

either way, it's your choice but IME, a bad idea.

the latter part of the weed high is quite similar to benzos in its sedating effects IME.

the initial part of the weed high will almost always cause a bit of anxiety.

Wait, sorry. Its not those regular kind of Xanax that hit you hard all at once, its the extended release ones I take in which I will get a slow release dose of 0.5mg throughout the day. My Dr. script me for these instead as these are less addictive than the regular instant release ones.

I guess I have to stick with taking Xanax or take breathing lessons. Just cannot risk smoking THC again. The last time I did, I almost thought I was going to have a heart attack...

I always wondered why pot smokers say to take a toke and relax...Because many of Cannabis side effects have to do with anxiety and panic attacks. If that's the case, I don't see weed as a relaxing and enjoyable drug and is over-rated.

Thanks for the advise

Last edited:
https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring/crush-anxiety

Take a look at the strains in that list. There's a lot to look through, and it's by no means completely extensive or even 100% accurate as it's all user-based.

That site's always steered me in the right direction, though.

Look through the strains in that link, find ones that seem favorable with tons of reviews and then find out if it's available for you locally. It sounds simple, but there are some obscure as fuck strains out there, man. This kind of question really only makes sense for someone with legal access, and even then it's gonna come down to your own personal reaction to each strain/harvest.

Hey drfeelgood 1, here is what I do using Cannabis to control my anxiety/panic attacks. As a disclaimer, I'm on indefinite medical leave transitioning eventually to long term disability -so being high and unable to drive and work- is not a concern for me; it may be for you.

Yeah, strong Indica's cause bits of anxiety for me; Sativa's can cause full blown panic attacks; but what I want is a weed that will physically relax me and give me that 'the world isn't trying to kill me' feeling. So I will mix a strong Indica (20% THC) with a high CBD hybrid (15% CBD) in 5 gram quantities (starting off with 1g 20% THC with 4g 15% CBD and get 5 g of 4% THC/12% CBD, 2g THC/3g CBD giving 5 g 8% THC/9% CBD, 1g THC/4g CBD giving 5g 4% THC/12% CBD

The idea is that you are creating a range of weeds with varying ratios of the strain type that are least likely (in my opinion) to cause added anxiety and come closest to an Alprazolam. For me that means zoning out, remaining almost glued to the couch and just plain not giving a shit. I'd start off with the 4%/THC/12% CBD (or hell perhaps just buy an Indica dominant high CBD hybrid if you have access) and start at very low (1/20 g) amounts.

Personally, I find that hybrid edibles to be fan effing tastic, specially this

http://www.cheebachews.com/team/?v=402f03a963ba

But it takes 60-90 minutes to start working.

Tom

taking oral cannabis preparations from a strain like harlequin or cannatonic in the 2:1 CBD:THC ballpark helps me a lot with anxiety personally

Hey drfeelgood 1, here is what I do using Cannabis to control my anxiety/panic attacks. As a disclaimer, I'm on indefinite medical leave transitioning eventually to long term disability -so being high and unable to drive and work- is not a concern for me; it may be for you.

Yeah, strong Indica's cause bits of anxiety for me; Sativa's can cause full blown panic attacks; but what I want is a weed that will physically relax me and give me that 'the world isn't trying to kill me' feeling. So I will mix a strong Indica (20% THC) with a high CBD hybrid (15% CBD) in 5 gram quantities (starting off with 1g 20% THC with 4g 15% CBD and get 5 g of 4% THC/12% CBD, 2g THC/3g CBD giving 5 g 8% THC/9% CBD, 1g THC/4g CBD giving 5g 4% THC/12% CBD

The idea is that you are creating a range of weeds with varying ratios of the strain type that are least likely (in my opinion) to cause added anxiety and come closest to an Alprazolam. For me that means zoning out, remaining almost glued to the couch and just plain not giving a shit. I'd start off with the 4%/THC/12% CBD (or hell perhaps just buy an Indica dominant high CBD hybrid if you have access) and start at very low (1/20 g) amounts.

Personally, I find that hybrid edibles to be fan effing tastic, specially this

http://www.cheebachews.com/team/?v=402f03a963ba

But it takes 60-90 minutes to start working.

Tom

Would like to compare Indica 70mg. with Sativa 70mg. Would be a good experiment in terms of "couch lock".

I would ask a clinic for an euphoric indica, (real)OG Kush, Northern Lights (non hybrid).

More specifically I would look to find strains with near equal THC:CBD ratios, or perhaps higher cbd to thc.

High THC percentage in particular strains tend to induce anxiety in people that suffer from any underlying problems.

For those of us who have smoked daily for years the high thc strains and extracts are nice, but if you had no experience and dove right in I can see lots of people having a difficult time.

I hear a lot of people say that they want to learn how to like pot, which means they are more sensitive to the ratios of active cannabinoids in the pot/extract. There's something they like in there, but maybe get too paranoid or perhaps to introspective and with enough testing most people can find a strain that suits them.

Last edited:
Indica might help. I have anxiety i take clonazepam for and for some reason sativa's give me anxiety.
You won't find a strain that works like a benzo
Good luck, panic attacks are no fun, first time I had one i hyperventilated so much I passed out and a friend called 911 thinking i had a heart attack .
For me benzos are the only thing that works. I'm not addicted, i don't crave or eat all my script but I am physically dependent

extended release ones I take in which I will get a slow release dose of 0.5mg throughout the day. My Dr. script me for these instead as these are less addictive than the regular instant release ones.
I'm sorry to say that all benzo are addictive, even slow release. I've never found any weed in my 20 yrs of smoking that helps the same way. I do, however, have lessening anxiety when I smoke. But I have also learned to ignore paranoia that can come with it.

Benzos like xanax are the most addictive drugs that are available. Even harder to get off than heroin in many ways. I found SSRI and SNRI to be a better fixer of my anxiety than benzos, they are pure awful to get off.

I've smoked weed 20 years. I've come off heroin and benzos after getting dependent. Have taken benzos on and off for 10 years. Had a problem with benzos and opiates in the past. Not trying to be pushy, just giving you my 2 pence worth.

Once you get used to smoking weed, a lot of the effects diminish and you learn to deal with the rest.

Hi,

I have been taking Xanax for a while now 0.5mg daily and I want something natural for my panic attacks.
Tried smoking Cannabis during my younger years but I stopped for two reasons. One being that THC speeds up my heart rate and I get panic attacks. Second, I had read that research has been done that marijuana has certain estrogen releasing chemicals that tends to cause man boobs or male breast enlargement in men.

Anyways, Is there a strain that I should get that has a nice mellowing effect for anxiety similar to Xanax which will not tend to speed up my heart rate?
I know that Indica is more sedating than Sativa, but again, I am more concerned if that will also speed up my heart.

I am just scared to try Cannabis again due to the increased heart rate effects...
cbd

I highly doubt a specific strain of marijuana would give you an effect similar to taking actual Alprazolam. THC is THC, if smoking weed gives you panic attacks, I wouldnt try to smoke more of it in an attempt to somehow circumvent your expected reactions to a more favorable one

there are a lot of breathing exercises you can do for panic attacks. That is about as natural as you can get, smoking weed is still ingesting a foreign substance into your body. Not exactly a common practice in nature...

Couldn't have said it better myself

Stick to heavy Indica's. You won't find any cannabis that feels like a benzo but there are strains out there that won't give you instant panic attacks. Typically when I was going through benzo rebound I just tried to avoid weed for a couple of weeks. You might want to consider CBD hemp as well. I found that pretty good for getting rid of the cravings to smoke and some of it was effective for pain/sleep trouble. If that stuff helps me sleep it should be able to knock down elephant.

Ripple dissolvable THC has pretty significant anxiolytic effects and comes on in a few minutes, much more rapidly than xanax er. It's not a panacea by any means, but it's the most anxiolytic preperation of cannabis I've tried. Look into it as long as you won't have to drive or operate heavy machinery for a few hours.

I'm smoking a really heavy indica called "Grape Ape" right now that's pretty relaxing too. If you're in an area where recreational cannabis is unavailable, none of this is of any help though...

A 17% THC hybrid, or CBD?

THC is not the answer for everyone with anxiety issues, unfortunately. It is actually quite good at inducing it.

*DRAGGIN MOUTH*

yeah

but shit

iit..

hey stop knockin in the table

ok shady

white widow according to my shadyness knowledge, it's the best benzo alternative. Then you have kubble kush

and last choice > edibles. = gummy =