• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

pressing flowers

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
i want to include them in snail mail letters. when you google about pressing flowers, it gives you countless different methods. i'm interested in figuring out what is the best method. i don't want to just press flowers; i want to know the art of it and do an amazing job with stunning results. right now my plan is to make a press.

anyone who already has experience have pointers? i'll add my own as i figure it out. and this thread is a great place to post your work, both presses and pressed flowers.

thanks!

i once bought an antique book of poems and found a four-leafed clover pressed between the pages (ツ

My Mum used to press flowers when I was a kid. It wasn't overly complex - she just pressed them between paper and a softer material like kitchen roll. I'm sure there are some great tips out there, but even from this basic process they still look the same now in their frames, 30+ years later.

last night i cut 7 by 9 by 1" blocks and drilled bolt holes one inch in on each corner. will get bolts with wing nuts after work today (hardware store was already closed). ordered bibulous paper ( 4 x 6") from a lab supply company because it's a several fold cheaper than what i assume is the exact same stuff from arts and crafts suppliers. a friend told me she she uses face wipes for oil with good results, which are also cheap.

will cut cardboard to size. i'm not sure what parchment paper is for, but if i ever figure that out i'll include it.

plan on sanding, painting some design, and staining the press so it looks nice a pretty. will of course post pictures when it's complete. hopefully this weekend at the latest. might wait until i can find someone who knows how to paint before adding the design and staining, but it will at least be functional by the weekend.

Wow that's a super heavy duty press :) I think they're usually just 1/4" ply.

Looking forward to pics and results of the press

Nice one. What flowers/plants are you going to press first?

Cactus flowers would also be pretty spectacular, although I'm not sure hydro's climate lends itself to that kinda thing.

I wonder if anyone had ever found a way to press a dandelion? That would also be spectacular.

That said, regardless of what hydro goes with, I don't think they can do any wrong in this :)

I'm thinking of hobbies for grad school, and this is something I could get into. Making a press is pretty straightforward it would seem, and I am a sucker for this sorta thing. As art more than anything, though also as a very special gift idea. It would be fun to integrate my passion for flowers, a flower press and my interest in calligraphy - I imagine that would make for some fun projects. Probably the school would be happier with this than my idea for a Felonious Cactophagy club ;)

I'm also curious to hear what flowers hydro is going for/currently pressing :)

i'm pressing a gigantic dahlia right now. i really am not sure if im going to get enough water out of it. i pressed an orchid a while back and it was not a success. initially it was, but its now been about a month, and the petals are curling. still too much water. i use printmaking paper as the mount because its heavier grade.

I've used the middle of War & Peace with a 45lb weight on top as a poor/ lazy man's setup to get started but Hydro's press is looking like the way to go. Although old books are quite hygroscopic.

In my childhood , I have played with them. It was too interesting.. When often there is a change in color, ranging from faded colors to a greater intensity of vibrant colors it become so unique. I have no personal experience how to make them. But you can take ideas from here: http://bit.ly/2wLpSIi. Hope it will be helpful for you.

Thanks for the advice Alex x

I do like pressed flowers but would prefer a special bouquet dried in a shadow box.

According to my Mum (who used to do this a lot), the pH of the paper you use to press and dry it and also that you choose to mount it on is critical to the long-term preservation of the colours. Just FYI :)

impressive your mother created presses that have lasted thirty years! mine currently lose color before the press is even finished.

According to my Mum (who used to do this a lot), the pH of the paper you use to press and dry it and also that you choose to mount it on is critical to the long-term preservation of the colours. Just FYI :)

Do you happen to know what her ideal pH was? Like something around 7 or something higher (or lower)?