Study Acute Kidney Injury from AAS use

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Here's another complication to add to the list of potential side-effects from AAS use: kidney injury. However in this case, it wasn't from elevated BP. In this new case study, a bodybuilder using tren and test developed two clots in his kidneys, which led to an acute kidney injury:

The cost of seeking an edge: Recurrent renal infarction in setting of recreational use of anabolic steroids (2017)

Introduction

Anabolic-androgenic steroid (AAS) use and testosterone therapy have been well established risk factors for the creation of a pro-thrombotic state, and to precipitate formation of thromboemboli in individuals already predisposed to thrombosis.

Case report

Here, we present the case of an amateur bodybuilder, with a negative thrombophilia workup, who experienced primary renal infarction while using the AAS trenbolone acetate and testosterone, as well as a subsequent renal infarction while anticoagulated with apixaban.

Discussion

The development of subsequent infarctions in an anticoagulated patient with discontinued recreational steroid use poses a unique situation and challenges the current understanding of a thrombophilic state associated with steroids. The lifetime prevalence of anabolic steroid use is estimated to be 1% in the male population in the United States which is significant.

Conclusion

Further understanding and recommendations of appropriate anticoagulant should be further elucidated to appropriately medically manage patients from this confounding social and medical history.

The development of clots during AAS use is something we're already well aware of as a risk. Usually these clots lodge in the lungs, and occasionally in the heart (myocardial infarcation) and the brain (a stroke). However there have been only a limited number of other reported cases of it occurring in the kidneys of AAS-using bodybuilders.

Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily mean such occurrences are rare, since as a population us bodybuilders are prone to lying to our doctors and GPs (as the guy initially did in this study). Thus the real prevalence of kidney injury in bodybuilders would be pretty difficult to estimate, particularly as it may occur concurrent to other primary health concerns.

Nevertheless, this is a risk worth considering before any cycle, especially if you're using high doses of stronger steroids for long periods of time. For the time being, the best recommendation would be to ensure you remain well-hydrated at all times and that you're taking a low dose (30mg) of aspirin during your cycles, which may reduce the risk of clot formation.

You can read the full free study here:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S204908011730016X

Chronic user though, "intermittently over a period of 5 years", and who knows if that is even the truth.. Also he was on opiates so that tells me other factors may have been involved.

Tren is no doubt hard on the kidneys, anyone who is on tren and urinates upon waking knows what I mean lol. Even if you are drinking 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. (In my case) No more tren for me though, I can get a very similar effect with NPP, Mast, and test without all the neurochem issues.

I'm always dubious of what the patient says in cases like these lol.

Have you tried using tiny doses of tren, alongside other AAS? I find there's a sweet spot for me where I can get a bit of the good, without so much of the bad.

Have you tried using tiny doses of tren, alongside other AAS? I find there's a sweet spot for me where I can get a bit of the good, without so much of the bad.
200-300/week tren e is my sweet spot. Obviously I'm pushing tren higher right now as per contest prep but after this prep I will never run tren this high again, if at all. This is my longest run on tren as well so that may be a factor.

Absolutely lol. Because I can tell you I more than likely wouldn't be 100% honest with a medical professional.

Yes! I've tried many different ways. I've ran it as low as 80mg/week alongside my 200mg of test on a "cruise"(not technically a cruise) and noticed it was far easier to stay lean, strength was increased, the mental negatives weren't really there. The main reason I have chose to avoid it is because of the unknowns with it and the brain. Even in low doses I feel.

I preach low-moderate doses in general now with all aas. My blasts consist of 200-300mg of test and 300mg of NPP, and 400mg of mast, if that even.(shit that's still a gram of gear lol) For the recreational lifter it's mostly diet, genetics, and lifestyle choices anyway. The gear plays a small role.

Competitors it's different of course.