• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Hi from England

Cadence

Greenlighter
Hi everyone

Been lurking for a while but now stepping out of the shadows to actively participate occasionally.

Middle aged with a youthful outlook. Teenage daughter keeps me from becoming too much of an old fart ��

Was a little naughty with various recreationals in my younger years but that stopped before having my daughter. I am now addicted to a number of prescription pain meds following long standing health issues involving severe chronic pain. Found myself falling into the trap of enjoying them rather more than I should, relying on them to get through or get to sleep etc and timings re doses slipping. Currently on the journey to getting clean. Want to get back to understanding what real pain levels I now actually have and what is actually caused by the meds. Also have concerns for my poor liver which is not enjoying the drugs as much. List of what I have been prescribed and taking at max + levels if anyone is remotely interested:

Co-codamol 30/500 (This is the one I am currently trying to kick as a priority)

Tramadol (pretty much stopped)

Gabapentin (still taking as last on my list to taper off (if I can) and may help codeine w/d)

Naproxen (stopped circa 3 months)

Atarax to sleep (to stop Temazepam although have some spare to help me re codeine w/d)

Paroxetine (SSRI) - stopped 6 months ago

Less concerning and necessary:
Thyroxine
Lansaprazole

Look forward to being involved. ��

Last edited:
hello fellow UK bluelighter :)
i'm down in south london, whereabouts are you mate?
good luck with getting clean, we have some great recovery forums on here

Hi there. Im from Croydon but Ive moved around a lot over the years; Bedfordshire, Herts and Bucks. Family had a business in Amersham many moons ago and I went to school in Grt Missenden after I got kicked out of Chesham grammar schooll :) Im middle aged myself, single mum with a daughter in her 20's and a 'suprise' daughter of 7. I was a late starter and didnt take recreational drugs until I was 23yrs old ...and it was an instant love affair for me. Ive never been physically addicted to anything except alcohol, the biggest,baddest motherfucker of them all in my opinion. Ive been pretty close to nurturing a few prescription drugs into habits but always managed to stop a full blown dependency although dihydrocodeine almost got me lol . I LOVED those little buggers too too much. I was prescribed them for a broken wrist and was in so much pain I literally downed about a weeks worth in one go.....and was high as a kite!!! It was the closest thing at the time to amphetamine which is really my drug of choice. Once I discovered I got a buzz out of them I managed to wing it with my GP so that I stayed on them at a stupidly high dose rpt rx for over 2 years!! Eventually someone in admin (typical) found out and it was stopped. Coming off them was a nasty shock to the system. That was my first real taste of physical withdrawal (wouldnt be my last) It wasnt pleasant but it was certainly do-able. About 4 yrs ago my alcohol addiction was so bad I was told that if I carried on drinking for one more month I wouldnt see my daughter's next birthday, which was only weeks away. I had no choice but to stop drinking and thats when I found out what REAL, hardcore, physical withdrawal feels like. MY GOD!! I cant even find the words to tell you how bad it is. .... but it still didnt stop me drinking again unfortunately. It took many, many more rounds of withdrawals/detoxes before I finally nailed that bastard alcohol. When you say you want to come off your meds I assume you have checked with yr Dr and its safe to do so?? Have you thought about how you will manage pain etc without codeine?
One thing I will say if you are worried about coming off prescription meds and codeine in particular...NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING is as bad a withdrawing from alcohol. NOTHING.. As scary as it may feel when you go through it just keep reminding yourself its only temporary and no one ever died of a nasty codeine withdrawal unlike alcohol. ( plenty have died from withdrawing from the demon liquid ) Having been through both numerous times, Id choose the codeine/prescription meds withdrawal every time. Not a pleasant thing to go through but not life threatening and once its out of your system its out! In my opinion, and its only my opinion, tapering just prolongs the discomfort and isnt necessary to get clean. For me, the best approach is like ripping off a plaster. Do it quick, get it over with, done, dusted, finished.... then see what you are left with. As you said, get to know your body again.
After I got totally clean from alcohol I realised just how much long term damage it had caused. Ive been left with some serious and totally avoidable health problems and thats my own fault . I dont want to go back on any kind of prescription meds for now even though Dr would give me whatever I need. I want to see if I can manage my ailments and pain using nootropics instead. So far ive had varying levels of success and failure lol but I havent fallen back into drinking or banging strong painkillers like I would have done before. I dont know your situation or what you should or shouldnt take but this is a great place to pick peoples brains lol. Good luck and if I can help give me a shout :)