• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Addicted and want out.. Advice needed.

Nakifantaki

Bluelighter
I guess it's time for me to reach out for some advice. Mods please feel free to move this post to the appropriate forum thread, I wasn't too sure where to post this.

I have been a big time lurker here on BL for MANY years. I was a pretty stupid teenager and young adult and spent a lot of time on here in my younger years. Last year I made an account on here and that right around the time I started really getting addicted to opiates. I will give ya'll a quick run down of how this all started - about 18 months ago I started having slight neck and arm pain/numbness that slowly got worse overtime. Was diagnosed with 2 herniated discs in my cervical spine and those dics were pressing against my spinal cord. Tried a few different things (physical therapy, exercise, ect..) with no relief. Now because of my stupid teen years, I knew what this injury could get me. Pain meds. Did I absolutely need them? No. Did they help with the pain? Kinda. More so then that they made me not care about the pain. I went to a pain doctor and it was like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine. Every month I was getting more and more. I THOUGHT I could be responsible with them and not abuse and misuse them but of course that wasn't the case. Anyways - fast forward to today. 3 weeks ago I had a 2 level discectomy and fusion. Basically they took the 2 bad discs out and replaced them with fake bone and then used a titanium plate with 6 screws to hold it together. Other then some very slight discomfort I am feeling better. No more of that old pain and the feeling is slowly coming back in my arms.

Enough of all that shit. I take anywhere from 6-8 Percocets a day. My prescribed dose is 4. 60-80mg of oxy a day, plus all of the bulshit Tylenol of course. Throughout the last 18 months I took pills when I didn't absolutely need them. They made me feel good... work was more enjoyable and life was better. I could of got by on a lot less but I was stupid and screwed up. Anyways, I want to be done and off these pills. I'm 33 years old and I feel trapped. I HATE that I have to take something multiple times a day to make me feel normal. I hate waking up and feeling like shit. I hate being a slave to that damn bottle of medication. I want my old self back. I have a decent life... a great partner in life, a good job that I work hard and a good group of close family and friends. My wife knows about my habit, but she doesn't know I take more then my prescribed dose. I have talked to her in great lengths about how I feel about taking these pills and how I desire to get off of them but I don't think she fully understands. She too gets the same script I do but only takes them when she really needs too. I just want to be done.. I want off this ride before it gets any worse and goes through the loops. I just don't know where to start. I have withdrawn a few times and each time was last then the worse. I realize that there is people that have massive oxy habits and that the withdrawals from a dose like that would be so much worse then what I have to go through... however even at the amount I take now.. it fucking sucks and I hate feeling that way. I don't like to be sick like that. After my surgery I was given 10 days worth of dilaudid that I filled but didn't touch because I was scared to make my tolerance go up anymore.

I need some advise. I need someone to push me down the correct path. I have some comfort meds.. Xanax, gabapentin, lope, a few different muscle relaxers, and tramadol. I also have a hot tub in my backyard. After reading some things I seem to be only missing the clonadine. The worst symptoms of withdraw for me is the RLS and the inability to manage my temperature. The other stuff I'm able to handle better. It's the crawling out my skin that drives me crazy.

Does anyone have a method that I should use? What comfort meds to take when? I'm going out of town this weekend but after that I will still have 12 days off of work and at that point I'm coming off these pills once and for good. I'm absolutely done living like this. I want to be me again.

Sorry for the long post.. just had to get that out.. Much love to all of the fellow BLers and THANK YOU in advance.

I was doing 100mg a day of oxy when I lost my DR. Withdrawals were physically moderate. Cravings afterwards were the hard part on oxy. Took about 3 months. I would taper down unless of course you want to just jump off. I found klonopin to help more than Xanax. Gabapentin also will help alot.

The withdrawals are the easy part here. Its the after on OXY that makes it hard.

FYI... I was on morphine for 10 years. 300mg a day. No cravings when I quit. Physically it was a ball buster. Some opiates are like morphine. Oxy on the other hand always had me wanting more. Just posting this in case you ever go down the pain management route again. I personally would have no issues taking morphine again. Oxy on the other hand I will NEVER take again. The sad part is most Dr's start with oxy...

You can do this... Lots of info here.

Best of luck

R13

Thanks man. That's on my mind aswell... what happens if I need to go back on pain management? Will I have to go through this every time? It's a shitty reality.
A part of me wants to taper... but that same part of me knows that I'll be prolonging the inevitable. Sigh.... I think I should do a quick taper and then jump off. I just don't know how to go about doing it.

Thanks man. That's on my mind aswell... what happens if I need to go back on pain management? Will I have to go through this every time? It's a shitty reality.
A part of me wants to taper... but that same part of me knows that I'll be prolonging the inevitable. Sigh.... I think I should do a quick taper and then jump off. I just don't know how to go about doing it.

Man, prepare for the fight of your life. I'm six months clean from 90-120mg Dilaudid a day habit. Not my first rodeo either. I'm struggling more every month. I'm waiting for this cloud to lift... That imaginary cloud that they say eventually dissipates. Shit ain't lifting. I was on 160mg oxy for ten years prior. Same shit different Beast. Check out my thread in sober living. Hydromorphone my journey starts today. Good luck

Thanks bud. I'm sure your hell was way worse then compared to mine.. I commend you for sticking with it. I can only hope I can follow suit. Congrats on how far you have come.

Next Monday or Tuesday night will be my last dose. I will be out of town this weekend and I have to "show up for life" so detoxing isn't the best idea but the night I get back home will be the last night. I am done with this shit.

The first morning I wake up I shouldn't be in horrible shape yet. It will be the late afternoon when I start having to deal with it.. I guess my plan is to take the 1mg of Xanax, 600mg of gabapentin and some lope to start out... probably some loperamide as well, but that's mainly to keep the GI stuff away... if I can keep my stomach from hurting too much I will be much happier.

I actually found that a little bit ago. Not sure how I feel about taking that much vitamin C though... I have IBS and a real sensitive stomach to begin with and I'm already going to have to endure some GI issues from the withdrawal alone.

Had anyone tried this with positive results?

Anxiety is starting to creep in... I figure I am about 72 hours from my last dose.
Maybe I would get some more support if this thread was in SL? Can I move it there myself?

Anyways... it seems like the only thing I can think about is this upcoming withdrawal. Sometimes I think the anxiety and fear of the withdrawal is almost worse then the actual withdrawal... I have history of anxiety so maybe it's just me.
I'm really starting to stock up on the l things I might need at home next week.. other then the meds I've listed above.. I plan to get some bananas, Gatorade, and a multi-vitamin... and who knows what else. Ugh. I also have access to IV hydration if needed.
I have 12 10mg flexeril, 17 .25mg of Xanax, 1 1mg of Ativan, 8 4mg tizanidine, 200 300mg of gabapentin, a bottle of lope and handfuls of tramadol and nycenta. I really don't want to take the SSNRIs though. I don't have any clonadine but I have access to another BP med... will that help? Is there anything else I need to get to help me along?

I just need to tell myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I keep having to remind myself that there is SO much more to life then this... I CAN do this.

Going out of town tomorrow and will be back Monday evening. My last dose will be Monday before bedtime. I figure Tuesday around noon is when I start carving out my little path to hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually found that a little bit ago. Not sure how I feel about taking that much vitamin C though... I have IBS and a real sensitive stomach to begin with and I'm already going to have to endure some GI issues from the withdrawal alone.

Had anyone tried this with positive results?
LOL....I have IBS too. I'm on Rifaximin right now (read up about John Hopkins study):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24891990

So long as you stick to Sodium Carbonate (and NOT ascorbic acid) you should have no problem

I agree that the anxiety you get just thinking about being in withdrawal can actually be worse than what you will actually experience.. although withdrawal isnt fun by any means. It sounds like youve got a decent list of comfort meds to help you and the right attitude to do it... tapering helps I think too, but for some (myself included) it is difficult to do successfully. I do wish you the best and will be rooting for you!! Have a good weekend...

Anxiety is starting to creep in...

I just need to tell myself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I keep having to remind myself that there is SO much more to life then this... I CAN

Don't forget your advice to yourself! You can do it & there is so much more to life. Your tolerance will keep building & you will keep needing more & more. I believe in you. Be strong!

Out on the road to visit some family and enjoy some cooler weather...I live in the desert and it has been stupid hot lately...
Thanks for all the support and encouraging words - Lord knows I need it.
Tapering isn't an option for me really... I have an abundance of oxycodone and I know I will fail miserably at a taper. However if I am in too much misery I might consider taking 5mg once or twice during that 3-5 day hell.

Thanks again for all of the support guys.. it really does mean a lot.

Does anyone know if lisinpril will work like clonadine in terms of helping with withdrawal?

Does anyone know if lisinpril will work like clonadine in terms of helping with withdrawal?

No. Completely different mechanism of action. Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor that works through the kidneys. Clonidine is an alpha 2 adrenergic agonist which is why it's a mild sedative and can help with withdrawal symptoms. Lisinopril simply prevents the angiotensin I enzyme from being converted into angiotensin II, relaxing blood vessels. I'm on both for blood pressure.

The withdrawals are the easy part here. Its the after on OXY that makes it hard.

You can do this... Lots of info here.

Best of luck

R13

I've used opiates for most of my adult life, with few breaks here and there. Like you, I have also gone through an orthopedic surgery and things went bad to worse. I was taking much more meds than I should have and at the same time trying to live a 'normal' life, working, travelling. I felt I could do anything until these drugs started to get the best of me.

I thought I had moved on when I started my treatment with methadone for many years. It sounded like everything was perfect, I was okay, and for a moment I thought that life should be like that for ever. However, the truth was that I wanted to be independent - I didn't want my life to be dictated by drugs. Besides, I wanted to be succeeding in life - without opiates. When you start to realize this was all a major bs, for me I wanted to be out. And wanting out is all you need.

You can either go cold turkey or taper, it doesn't really matter. You will go through withdrawals for few days. What is one week in a life time? That you can do, and like I have said so many times, if I did you can certainly do this. Most of us have been there, and I do agree that quitting is the easy part.

Plan your life so that you can live and be happy after your withdrawals have been taken care. Exercise, find something you would like to do - hobbies, and stick to routine. You'll be different but you'll be free!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the BP meds. I won't take the lisinopril... the last thing I need is bottoming out during this ordeal.

It's been a weird day. I feel like there is impending doom waiting for me. Before we get to that I wanted to vent about how much this drug takes from you. It's like a 2 faced friend that you trust until you start to see that they are letting you down. When I first started taking the meds, my pain was way better! But on top of that it made me a rockstar. Work was easier, social situations were more enjoyable, my work outs were much better... ect.. you guys all know what I'm taking about. Then ever so slowly it starts to drop off.. you stop working out, you start failing behind in work and everything else starts to crumble..even your most favorite hobbies go to shit. It's pathetic. Now I don't get any pleasure feeling from dosing, I get crazy headaches, I sweat like crazy, I've gained a ton of weight and I hate being social. It's crazy how much this drug takes away from the core of your being. It still baffles me sometimes.

This impending doom though... it's rough. I cannot stop thinking about how in 2 days I will be done. Hopefully. It's like this sick game my mind is playing on me. Blah blah blah... same ol song and game I suppose.

For anyone that has responded or even just semi read my posts, thanks. It helps a ton to just write this out and throw it out into the universe. To everyone going through the same thing as me... keep fighting and doing the best ya can. Your doing a great job.

You know... it's amazing how your brain while on opiates can talk you into anything. Rationalizing with the addiction..
Tonight was supposed to be my last dose... I was supposed to wake up tomorrow and hunker down and begin my 4 day hell. But it seems as if I have managed to push it back one day. I'm telling myself I have to much to take care of tomorrow... I can't be sick tomorrow because none of it will get done... sigh..
Its bullshit and I know it. Excuse after excuse to myself gets old...
Sometimes I just don't think I am strong enough to jump off and get clean.

^^^^ Stop beating yourself up over it. And start looking into "Law of Attraction" books.

My favourite is the Vortex one

I'm way to hard on myself... in all aspects in life.
Thanks for the book suggestions. I'll definitely look into them tomorrow.