• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentin wean... do I need to after short term/recreational use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nachtviolin

Greenlighter
I started taking gabapentin unprescribed about a month ago... ranging from 600mg-4g per day. Not every day, but a lot of days. Just kind of chasing a high and trying to stave off crippling anxiety from post partum depression.

From what I've read on the internet, this is a nasty drug to come off of.

Do I need to figure out a weaning process even after short term recreational use, or can I stop cold turkey?

I woke up this morning prepared to just quit, but I had anxiety so bad I could barely stand it, so I took 1200mg. Hoping it kicks in soon.

I've purchased magnesium supplement to help, but I'll do anything to avoid the crippling anxiety.

Thoughts?

were you ever dependent on gabapentin or any similar drugs (pregablin/lyrica, diazepam, alprazolam, clonazepam, benzos in general or z-drugs such as zopiclone)?
yes a month of daily use is definitely addictive behavior and you most certainly are approaching addiction but if you haven't been dependent on gabapentin or other 'downer' style drugs which also interfere with your brains GABA receptors prior to this you might be lucky and stopped just before you became fully addicted.

you may be experiencing some discomfort such as the anxiety due to it just be a crappy comedown instead of true withdrawals
try tapering your dose down, if 1200mgs is your usual dose try decreasing the amount next time, say a gram and go from there. some other meds like clonidine, betablockers or, as you mentioned, magnesium can help with the anxiety and restlessness - try to avoid benzos/sleepers because these too effect your natural GABA and can prolong the comedown/wd. does anyone have any other suggestions for comfort meds?

so yeah - try to reduce steadily but slowly; 100mgs every3 or 4 days perhaps? use comfort meds like the ones i mentioned above but steer clear of alcohol and things like Valium (as well as obv pregab/gaba/lyrica) and try to keep busy, don't put yourself out tho, just chill but keep yuour mind off it.

hope your okay man, and please don't post multiple threads with the same subject

Last edited:
Thanks! No I have never taken any drugs like this before. I will try tapering, and I have ativan and kava to help, but that's it. It sucks.

Sorry about the double post... it told me is had been deleted until this afternoon when in popped back up again. I'll get rid of it.

no worries man ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽
and ativan is lorazepam which is a benzo and might not be the best thing to take if you're close to gaba dependence - but if you're prescribed it and take it regularly obv don't stop.
so yeah, do try and taper down on the gaba tho mate cause, as you said, the wd's for it suck ballllllssssss

you should check out this gaba wd megathread here btw man

Last edited:
^^ yeah OP. The higher the gabapentin dose, the less it works. Everybody posted correct. If your a little anxious, a little bit of Ativan will work. You might be a little anxious, by that's it .

All great posts. Question answered. Closed

EDIT: miss, don't chase "high's" It's not worth it. The drug you were on must be out of your system. If not completely, no big deal.

If you are having depressive symptoms, call your doctor and let them know what is going on.

Gabapentin is a non controlled substance.' Nobody should even know or care, so no need to get upset.

If your Ativan is unpresctibed, I suggest getting seen by a doctor also. Depression is real. Take care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.