• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Kicking

GoronusMaximus

Greenlighter
I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place, but I thought it would be helpful to vent a little bit and share my experiences with others. It's always nice to see some love and encouragement of course.

I'm attempting to kick an opiate dependence and do not think I've used any since taking a very small dosage (not large enough to keep withdrawal from beginning but enough to somewhat "ease into it") on Friday night. I was on suboxone treatment for roughly one year (and it worked great for me) but decided it was time to get off when I lost insurance coverage that had been paying for the meds as well as falling behind on payments to the doctor. He charged $25/wk and because I was being prescribed 16mg/day and had brought my dosage down to around 2-4mg a day, I hadn't needed a new script for awhile and hadn't seen him so I owed $300. My plan had been cutting down the strips with scissors and slowly tapering dosage to around .25-.50mg and then jumping off.

Unfortunately things didn't go as planned and I ended up tapering and jumping off much faster than I had intended and it was back to my old friends because of how scared I was about getting through it and how bad the symptoms would appear. I've never been a big fan of heroin (and I'm talking Philly dope, some of the best on the planet) or various opioid pills (WAY too much buck for your bang) and would turn to this if my other options were unavailable so I was glad to go back to poppy seed tea. It's cheap and somewhat conveniently available and a large enough dose can keep withdrawals at bay for up to 36 hours. The major problem is that it's very difficult to get off of as well as difficult to gauge dosage because of constant variability in doses. I've had batches before where a brew from one pound of seeds would produce a liquid that tasted like straight up medicine and would be unreasonably strong but this was a rare occurrence. Anyways...

While I was on suboxone, I went from a fiending dopehead to back to my normal self in a matter of about two days after starting it and would have no issues from there on out. I've had long periods of time (well over a year) where I've been able to use opiates without developing dependence but it only takes a small series of slips to change all of that and this nightmare begins. I simply am not comfortable being governed and burdened by something and the restrictions it places on my growth and ability to function. Continued usage and physical dependence leads me to act in ways that I am not at all comfortable with and tears apart the fabric of my life little by little. I've always been the "successful" type that's always had a full-time job and I've taken care of my son and given his mother (ex-wife) enough that she herself doesn't struggle. Even still, it's not a beneficial habit for me and I'm regretting my decision to come off suboxone so soon instead of figuring out a way to pay my medical bill.

I've been battling to get off for the past 6-8 weeks (basically the entire time I've been "back") through various means but didn't get very far outside of lowered tolerance. I've done inpatient twice, one where I stayed clean afterwards and one where I left early and jumped back in. I thought about hitting the streets of Philly to see if I could track down enough subs to do a quick taper (that does make it much easier) but I don't always have transportation and I've had a hard time before finding subs amidst all of the dealers selling crack and heroin. When I detoxed in in-patient, I was left with pretty rough PAWS both times, with mostly deep depression, aversion to stimulants (even caffeine), lack of enthusiasm, and very bad anxiety (anxiety was nothing I had really dealt with before that). I suppose you could say it was between 30-60 days when I started to feel somewhat like myself again.

Unfortunately, I no longer have easy access to any type of assisted treatment right now because I don't have health insurance anymore. Just going straight off is far too much for me because of work and the like (I'm a chef who can spend 12-16 hours per day on my feet on certain occasion. I'm sure there are those who would disapprove but I'm making it through with a little help. By pumping myself full of low-mid range doses of amphetamine, it prevents my mental status from plummeting and boosts me against the normally crippling fatigue. I'm actually hurting pretty bad right now with my guts, muscle pain, and (the fucking worst) restless legs syndrome but I'm pushing forward through it so far and have had success with this method before. Working a double shift yesterday was extremely draining and I thought of aborting but I really want to stick this through. I had only 2.5-3 hours of sleep from Friday until last night (this morning) and managed another 2-4 fractured hours with some Benadryl. The RLS has been varying in extremity but has made it almost impossible to get comfortable unless that I'm on my feet and moving around. Even when it's been one leg rather then both.

I can't say that I want recreational chemicals completely out of my life because I do enjoy many in moderation and owe some of the great memories of my life to them. I can say that I want more control in my life and ability to start forging a better path. I apologize for the long post but I'm grateful to any who took the time to read.

So, if I am reading this right you do not want to go back on subs as a maintenance drug, correct? But is that only a financial decision or is it because you do not want to be chained to either the opiates or the subs?

I do not believe that complete abstinence is required for everyone seeking to deal with a specific addiction, but certainly it can be helpful for anyone with an addiction to any substance to know that he or she is capable of living a full, adventurous, emotional and meaningful life just working with the chemicals produced in his or her own brain.;) PAWS are awful to go through but like any awful experience, they are not without benefits for your life. Learning how to face discomfort, uncertainty, and a host of other bummers (from anxiety to depression to managing pain) is an essential part of developing inner grit; something that can be used to face the most difficult times in your future. Whether drugs play a part or not, life can get stressful and even miserable at times. Knowing how to ride those waves rather than thrashing around looking for a life saver is a great skill to acquire.

It sounds like you definitely know how to work hard--chefs work harder than anyone realizes. Apply your incredible stamina from one area in your life to this important endeavor. Try to see the difficulties as opportunities to learn and move on. There is no reason that your taper should not work, despite how difficult it feels.

You are welcome to use this thread to track your progress, get support from others on the same path and vent whenever you need to about anything that comes up. The best thing that Bluelight has to offer IMO is a community of non-judgmental peers. <3

Honestly, going back on subs would be great. I paid $400 to get into the program and was paying $100/mo for my doctor visits and then $25 (with a coupon) for my medication. I switched from my ex-wife's insurance plan to the one offered at my job when her enrollment came up and she dropped me. I only had to pay an extra $5/mo but started having to deal with doctor pre-authorization for my scripts and I had fallen behind on my visits because I was taking less and my last couple scripts went much longer. I ended up having to cover the cost of the last script myself to the tune of about $400 (I was paying for 7 strips at a time). Given these prices and a lower dosage (probably 2-4mgs at this point), it would cost me the upfront $400 again and between doctor and script costs (I no longer have insurance) probably another $300/mo. I could make it happen if I find that it's in my best interest but it will be tough at current. To answer your question, I was working on reducing my dosage by quite a bit but the decision to get off when I did was primarily inspired by the financial aspect of it. Unfortunately, my planning and discipline were just not adequate in tapering down enough to comfortably jump off.

Today was a bit of a rough one as I was pretty tired and the amps are losing their euphoric charm (which happens regardless over a week or so due to previous heavy usage about 4-5 years ago). I had my son all day and managed to put on a smile and take him out and spent time with him but I really just wanted to collapse and rest for part of it. The fact that I do have that willpower to push on is the major benefit of using the adderall during this period because otherwise I can't even make it through the first day of withdrawal without figuring out just whatever I need to do to get my "fix" and abort the withdrawal. No amount of optimism, dedication, and forward planning can overcome the lethargic and terribly depressing mindset that comes with all of the muscle and stomach cramps associated with the withdrawal process when it comes to me. I suffer from major depressive disorder in addition to all of this and an episode has been currently raging for about 6 months now so there were plenty of days where I felt terrible regardless. Mix that in with the acute withdrawal and it can really kill any chance of holding onto a mindset that has the motivation to just power through all this.

I'm considering whether it will be in my best interests to steer clear of opiates for good after this. I've had periods of a couple years where I was able to casually use here and there without gaining tolerance or dependence but I obviously have a disposition to it. Amps were a huge problem for me for nearly a year when I was in college but I'm able to use them sparingly these days for a little fun here and there. I also used to be a very heavy drinker as well but I don't (because of desire) really drink anymore these days. Opiates have always been and cause me a lot of problems because they can be very difficult to dose and that once a physical dependence develops that they are EXTREMELY hard to get off of and can have seriously adverse effects on my life. As many wonderful memories I have because of them, I think I should stick to the occasional green and even less occasional amps. I had about 6 months of total abstinence across the board and it was really nice but still just wasn't the same as my sober time before I ever experienced any recreational substances. To be completely honest, I don't really want to live totally free of drugs but there's certain problem areas that are just going to make things even worse if I continue to mess with them.

Thanks for the encouragement my friend!

Ok, I've got a clearer idea of what you are wrestling with. I can't help thinking what a racket this is for the doctors that a person should have to pay $100.00 a month for a doctor that is pretty much just overseeing a prescription.

You've got a lot on your plate being a Dad of a young child and a chef and I imagine having to deal with financial woes and then this is all pretty stressful. You might want to pick up a book or listen to something on the web that uses mindfulness to address dealing with stress. It's been pretty helpful in my life for the hard times.

You are making more than a financial decision here--you are really dealing with two things that are really one thing: you are trying to honestly address opiate dependence and at the same time you are trying to get control of your use/life by redefining your relationship with drugs altogether. That is pretty huge when you think about it so take good care of yourself in the process of working it all out.<3

i, I am lost here and need a bit of help. I don't know how to ask questions or start a new thread. I am trying to quit oxy/heroin and would like some pointers. I understand these are just suggestions and the best person to ask is my doctor, but if anyone has some ideas please lmk!

Okay, so I have Lyrica 100mg, Clonidine 0.1mg, Ambien 10mg, Hydroxizine 25mg, Seroquel 50mg, and Trazadone 100mg. I have quite a few of each, I have heard Lyrica helps a lot but what is it safe to take with? If I am posting in the wrong place please lmk. So, does anyone have any advice on what is the safest and most effective combo to help get me through the WD's? Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading any and all responses!
Oh, and this is the 2nd place I have posted this. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing that, I just really would like some help. I just joined this site about 45 minutes ago so I have no idea what I'm doing. Please post any advice and lmk how I can get the help I'm looking for. Thanks!

i, I am lost here and need a bit of help. I don't know how to ask questions or start a new thread. I am trying to quit oxy/heroin and would like some pointers. I understand these are just suggestions and the best person to ask is my doctor, but if anyone has some ideas please lmk!

Okay, so I have Lyrica 100mg, Clonidine 0.1mg, Ambien 10mg, Hydroxizine 25mg, Seroquel 50mg, and Trazadone 100mg. I have quite a few of each, I have heard Lyrica helps a lot but what is it safe to take with? If I am posting in the wrong place please lmk. So, does anyone have any advice on what is the safest and most effective combo to help get me through the WD's? Thanks in advance and I look forward to reading any and all responses!
Oh, and this is the 2nd place I have posted this. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing that, I just really would like some help. I just joined this site about 45 minutes ago so I have no idea what I'm doing. Please post any advice and lmk how I can get the help I'm looking for. Thanks!

Withdrawal can really suck, no matter what you have to address it but it seems like you've got some useful tools there, however that's a lot of downers and you need to be very careful. In my experience, Lyrica has been a great help (and also is one of my favorite recreational substances when used sparingly) but I've never had enough to get through more than a single day in those regards. If you have no tolerance to it, starting at 250mgs and working your way up if needed is a good place to start. Keep in mind, it can take up to two hours for the effects to set in and it's also going to be active in your system for pretty much an entire day.

I've heard a lot about clonidine helping but I have absolutely no experience with it and ambien seems to get some pretty mixed views as a sleep aid. I've taken trazadone before in a medical facility for sleep but never felt like it did too much for me. The seroquel should completely knock you on your ass at the 100-200mg range with no tolerance and could be a very very valuable sleep aid.

Be careful mixing stuff together and do some more research. The Lyrica can probably do a bit to ease the pain and calm you down and help you relax and chill out but it's going to lose its utility quickly with extended use and you may end up blowing through what you have very quickly. It can be very intoxicating as well (nodding off, staggering against walls, etc.) so just be careful. Do you have any obligations during this? If you're gonna be able to stay indoors and not worry about much, it shouldn't be too bad with what you have for the acute stage and you should definitely be able to sleep through a good chunk of it with that seroquel. You just need a to be very very careful as I don't get a good feeling from mixing all that stuff together and I've never been one to shy away from combining the effects of different drugs. You also need to realize this is not likely to be a painless process but try and remember that you're suffering for a reason and if you bail half way through, all of that will have been in vain.

Thank you GoronusMamimus! I guess I should have added a little history, I have been on opiates for 14 years, and an addict for 7. I have been to 3 rehabs and 1 detox center, I have detoxed at home before using xanax and clonidine, but this is my first time trying with Lyrica. I appreciate your input and advice! I think I'll take only Lyrica and if I feel I need to add something more I'll go to the hospital. I am more concerned about staying safe than anything else. You are right, mixing those downers together would be too dangerous. Since I don't know much about Lyrica and it's interactions with other drugs I'll stick with only that then. I'd rather be in pain than dead. And yeah, we own our own businesses so I can take as much time as I need to stay home and my wife will stay with me to help in any way she can. She is a normie, doesn't do drugs and never has, so I trust her to help get me through it and not give up. Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond and offer your advice! I'll stick with just Lyrica and get through it.

Ok, I've got a clearer idea of what you are wrestling with. I can't help thinking what a racket this is for the doctors that a person should have to pay $100.00 a month for a doctor that is pretty much just overseeing a prescription.

You've got a lot on your plate being a Dad of a young child and a chef and I imagine having to deal with financial woes and then this is all pretty stressful. You might want to pick up a book or listen to something on the web that uses mindfulness to address dealing with stress. It's been pretty helpful in my life for the hard times.

You are making more than a financial decision here--you are really dealing with two things that are really one thing: you are trying to honestly address opiate dependence and at the same time you are trying to get control of your use/life by redefining your relationship with drugs altogether. That is pretty huge when you think about it so take good care of yourself in the process of working it all out.<3

I suppose that the $100/mo ($25/wk) to see the doctor is really quite reasonable. A simple visit without insurance will often run you up to double that so I couldn't complain, though when I fell behind and owed quite a bit more, I tried to work with them to no avail. The $400 starter fee was rough and I basically had to beg them to take a credit card against the "cash only" policy but they did decide to allow it and I was able to get in that day to see him and get the script. I hear a lot of people that don't do well on suboxone but it was great for me. My usage of other opiates stopped that first day and it just became a matter of procedure. It was inconvenient at times and a certain stigma with people in my personal life on occasion but it sure beat hitting the streets and constantly worrying about how I was gonna keep myself functioning and I didn't really need to worry about it after starting the meds.

I appreciate your suggestions on mindfulness; it is unfortunately not a skill high on my list despite my penchant for introspective self reflection. I have a horrible track record with balancing out short term concerns with long term goals. It's something I'm fully aware of but have not been able to facilitate much personal growth on the matter.

I'm struggling right now but I'm still holding on. I have not been able to put together significant periods of sleep and my body feels pretty beat up and anxiety is building up. A friend of mine told me she has a stock of clonazapam that she would just give to me so hopefully that'll help calm me down a little bit and let me get some decent sleep. I was trying to dry out on the amphetamines for at least half a day but that was pretty painful when the comedown set in and I didn't make it too far. I have some hard days of work coming up as well as a date with a woman I'm absolutely crazy about on Thursday night (this woman was a huge motivator to work hard at cleaning up). I know that I still have some very difficult times ahead of me and that's frightening with my stressful line of work and commitments to my son and spending time with him. I'm very angry with myself that I didn't taper down the suboxone like I should've despite ample time to plan it. I really just want to start moving forward with my life again instead of just hanging on. I just turned 31 recently and the reality of time running out to make some serious moves with my potential is starting to set in.

Yes, I've found that age has often motivated me when nothing else does. At age 63, I can tell you that it all happens at warp speed now. A decade? Poof! gone.

Was finally able to get some sleep last night. Never was able to get the benzos but eased down on the adderall and took about 150mg of diphenhydramine. I got about 9-10 hours of somewhat broken sleep.

I made myself eat and drink a lot last night and that made me feel a lot stronger. I've mostly dried out on the amps and woke up feeling kinda "meh" today. It's just that feeling you get under your skin and not really wanting to do anything. I took another adderall and have to go to work in 30 minutes. Hopefully I can manage to push through that without losing my mind.

I think I'm somewhat in the clear at this point. That general feeling of lethargy and depression might linger for a bit but I think the worst may be over but we shall see.

Why be a financial burden on your family? I am sure somewhere inside of you, You do want to be free of all of it. No more drugs. No more chains to Doctors.

If you want it bad enough you CAN do it. Withdrawals suck. They pass though...

Do it for wife, family and yourself. Lots of info and support here at BL.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

R13

Why be a financial burden on your family? I am sure somewhere inside of you, You do want to be free of all of it. No more drugs. No more chains to Doctors.

If you want it bad enough you CAN do it. Withdrawals suck. They pass though...

Do it for wife, family and yourself. Lots of info and support here at BL.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

R13

I'm not married anymore. I've also always maintained a full-time job and have never fallen behind on child support payments. It's a weird space.

I think I'd just like to be able to smoke weed and drink when I'd like. I barely drink anymore but occasionally I'll decide to have some with friends or whatever. The amps are a mostly rare thing, maybe get a small amount every couple of months.

I understand what you're getting at and you may very well have the better idea than I do. I just thought it best to be honest with myself and others about how I feel regarding the topic. I did 6 months of being clean from everything at one point but it was stressful always being on my toes and I just wanted a chance to unwind here and there. I definitely think it a good idea to steer clear of the opiates at this point, even if I don't really want to. They've taken control too many times and I don't want to keep rolling the dice on learning to responsibly use them.

I think I'd just like to be able to smoke weed and drink when I'd like. I barely drink anymore but occasionally I'll decide to have some with friends or whatever. The amps are a mostly rare thing, maybe get a small amount every couple of months.

I understand what you're getting at and you may very well have the better idea than I do. I just thought it best to be honest with myself and others about how I feel regarding the topic. I did 6 months of being clean from everything at one point but it was stressful always being on my toes and I just wanted a chance to unwind here and there. I definitely think it a good idea to steer clear of the opiates at this point, even if I don't really want to. They've taken control too many times and I don't want to keep rolling the dice on learning to responsibly use them.

I think that your end goal is totally reasonable and doable. And once you achieve it, you'll be able to see if it works for you or not. I personally believe that many people end up back in the arms of an addiction because they had to needlessly maintain complete abstinence. (I also know that there are people that need complete abstinence.) Why, in a world of complete human diversity, we think that there is only one way to address addiction is beyond me. I understand the complexity of it and am not unsympathetic to the idea that learning to live drug free puts anyone in a stronger position, but the goal is not necessarily to be drug free. The goal is to get to know yourself and trust your self enough to be in control of your life's choices and decisions. This applies to much more than drugs. How about diet, spending, relationships? We can do ourselves harm in so many ways--drugs are just one more way.

Today is a struggle. I'm very reluctantly getting myself ready for the busy night but I just want to lay down. Lower back pain has kicked in and I just don't feel very motivated or strong today. I think today has been better than the past two but it's got a different flavor to it and being stuck at work isn't helping. It would be a rough night even if I was feeling normal, so I'm nervous but I know I just have to deal with it. I just keep telling myself that the night will end and I'll get out of here. Hopefully tomorrow ends up being a little easier.

Another day...just an overall feeling of being unwell but my stomach seems to have calmed. I've got another potentially involved night at work and I really don't want to do anything. Getting more amps tomorrow which will
likely be the last of them though the little I have left seems to be having little effect at this point. I did sleep last night again for a full night but I seem to feel worse afterwards. My mind seems to be down and very slightly up at times. Just have to keep pushing with the hope that a feeling of normality starts to set in soon. I never want to go through this again.

I caved today. Small dose that didn't make me feel all the way better but enough to take the edge off the anxiety that's been building up. I'm a week in, it wasn't the best idea but I don't really anticipate much blow back and it gives me a little time to let my mind rest and recuperate for the rest and also will let me dry out on the amps for a couple days to turn that down and get me past the last little bit. I've got a bit left and my source is dry so that'll be the last of it. It sounds awful but I would've preferred meth because it's much easier on the body than the racemic mix in adderall but I'm done hitting the streets for shit (meth can be tricky to find at the Philly hotspots too).

This has been really trying, still having to work and all. Dosing a little today probably wasn't the best but my resolve is still strong and I don't intend to do it again. The fact that I've pushed this far and kept up with my responsibilities even though my mind has been screaming is encouraging for my personal development as well.

Hey goronus how did your weekend play out ? I can't emagine working in a kitchen going through wds I don't blame you for having to level out with the amps they help allot but then you do crash from that so I don't blame you for dosing either. Are you still on track or ru starting again? Just curious I have used the same method with meth to wd a few times very tricky . But so hard to work and get things done sick. Hope alll is well

Hey goronus how did your weekend play out ? I can't emagine working in a kitchen going through wds I don't blame you for having to level out with the amps they help allot but then you do crash from that so I don't blame you for dosing either. Are you still on track or ru starting again? Just curious I have used the same method with meth to wd a few times very tricky . But so hard to work and get things done sick. Hope alll is well

Thanks for checking in, I really appreciate that. I'm sort of teetering right now honestly. Had a couple days I went at it but not enough to get high. I think I may have set myself back but I'm still in a better place than where I started. I felt like it was/is just going on and on and a lot of days I was feeling worse than the day before. I found that weed is great for relaxing and getting my mind away but I'm damn near useless when I'm baked and I get "hangovers" that have a lot of symptoms in common with what I get from withdrawal so I don't think it's really all that helpful.

I may have to try again in a couple weeks but at least I've broken the daily cycle and dropped tolerance. If I have to try again, I may try and score some subs and do a 4 day taper and maybe have some amps for a week or two after. If that doesn't work, I'll probably just bite the bullet and do what I have to to get back on subs regularly and try the slow taper again. Being on subs isn't the best option obviously but it's really not a big deal and makes this way easier.

Edit: I saw a billboard advertising kratom at a health store near my son's house. I was thinking of maybe giving that a shot. Anyone have anything to say regarding that route?

About 5 days dry from the opiates again. Symptoms are not as extreme this time around and Vyvanse has been a little easier on the body but I'm still not feeling so wonderful. I've had a dosage ready for me the entire time but I've left it alone however I'm at the end of my supply of helper meds (amphetamine) until the 25th. I think with this process, I can eventually lower my tolerance and dependence to the point of having an easy jump off but we shall see.