Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Heroin detox - Help

Jellymelly

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

Quite new to this forum but just wanted to see How everyone is going with their detox journey?

I'm soon to start mine - was smoking fentanyl for 4 months - went through the withdrawals which were fkn hell, like nothing I've experience, and jumped on oxys after 4 weeks because I still couldn't eat or drink or move. Lost just shy of 25kg during that time. From Oxys I moved on to heroin. Been smoking about a gram a day for another 3 months and each time I've tried to get off it's he fkn sweating and chills that get me. I haven't been able to go past 1 day.
ATM I'm just preparing the house, food and clothes. I have my stepson tomorrow and day after, so the day after I will have a smoke in the morning - will start WD just after my stepson gets picked up.

Stomach cramps kick in pretty bad but to be honest I've experienced worse period pain so I know I can handle it.

It's the sweating and fatigue that absolutely kills me.

Can anyone possibly give me an outline of what to expect on the first couple of days? Also, please what can I do for the sweating? I wake up and my bed is literally soaked.

I'm
Getting married in November and the last thing I was is to be an addict on my wedding day

It sounds like you should seriously consider a methadone or suboxone program. You can get on the program then taper off over a period of months, avoiding the acute pain of cold turkey withdrawal.

I dont know anything about getting off heroin except you will need some immodium and have heard codeine can help with coming off. I do suggest you get in a detox if you can.

Codeine helps immensely, but it's a double edged sword, since even 5 years ago the amount of money and effort it took to get enough codeine to undertake a taper was enough that it was easy to say "well fuck it, I might as well just go get more H." I imagine it would be even more so now, with pharmacies IDing people who purchase it.

Be careful with immodium - in regular doses it should be fine, but taken in high doses (the 20 - 40 pills at a time that some people take) it can cause potentially fatal arrhythmias.

Pointless to take codeine, of course it helps - but that's just because it's an opioid agonist like heroin. It's just going to delay the inevitable, although tapering from codeine may be easier I guess. I mainly wanted to comment just to say if you're tempted to use codeine to ease WD's, be sure to do a cold-water extraction; takes almost no effort and not a lot of (waiting) time either. And it will greatly reduce the potential harm from ingesting those tablets otherwise.

Coming off codeine is immensely easier than coming off heroin or similarly potent opiates. Back in the day I'd find that going from H (or oxy/morph/whatever) to one or two CWE's to stopping was immensely easier than going straight off H. But of course, for the price of the CWE's you can just buy more heroin, so it's a hard regimen to actually enforce unless you have a limited supply of H.

I was on the subs program on my wedding day - it was pretty similar to being 'sober' and certainly better than other big days were I've had to have works stashed on me to make it through. Also - subs aren't impossible to come off, a lot easier than methadone. I generally suggest people try without the program first - but if it goes on for years, stop pretending and just get on the program. Subs if you can - but sometimes they're really hard to jump to, because of PWD, in which case go on 'done, but be warned - it's a lot harder to leave.

But of course, for the price of the CWE's you can just buy more heroin, so it's a hard regimen to actually enforce unless you have a limited supply of H.

Exactly. The other thing is, there's a 'known' ceiling dose for codeine, it varies a little with metabolism, but basically like 600mg or something in a day. In my personal experience, if your habit is small enough, codeine is a wonder drug for WD's and getting through the day (a morning dose and an evening dose of around 500mg say). But if your habit is huge, you can forget about codeine helping, unfortunately you touch the ceiling with that stuff before it even gets rid of a single cold-shiver.

Yeah of course tolerance and how long you've been using are a factor. I would generally go 4 - 8 days on, then the same off, depending on funds, so 600mg of codeine (supplemented with DXM, which increased it's potency noticeably) would be enough to keep me from getting too uncomfortable, especially if I threw in some benzos. Later on, when I was swapping off subs onto H then back again, I found codeine made the transition much easier - if I used codeine as my very last dose, I could take the subs 18 hours afterwards and slide onto them fairly smoothly, whereas if I took oxy/morph/H as my last dose, I needed to wait a full 24 and even then the first dose of sub would just be enough to allow me to catch some sleep, and it's only in the next day that I'd be back to normal.

Of course soon it will be neither here nor there, since OTC codeine is on the way out :/

Also, please what can I do for the sweating? I wake up and my bed is literally soaked.

Yeah it's gross and it smells rank, too. I found that diphenhydramine (for instance, Travacalm) helped reduce sweating, probably due to anticholinergic properties. The key word is "reduce", however, and obviously your experience will vary.

Anyway, how's it all going? Congrats on the upcoming wedding. It's a good goal to aim to be addiction free for that time.

Here's a good guide to follow to help make the experience less painful. I did this a few years ago after relapsing on painkillers when I had kicked methadone n was clean for acple years already. Unfortunately when I relapsed, pills pressed with fent were very common unlike my 800mg a day oxy addiction prior to methadone. I didn't write this, just found it for you to use.

"PLEASE NOTE: I am not a doctor, simply a long-time Rx opiate junkie who has had many opportunities to develop a way to detox. This is a recipe for at-home self-detox from opiates based on my experience as well as that of many other addicts. It is not intended as professional medical advice. It is always wise to make sure none of the recipe ingredients or procedures conflict with medications you may be taking. Likewise, if you have any medical condition, disease, allergy or any other health issue, consult your doctor before using the recipe. Thanks, Thomas

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"

Try that if your having troubles. When I got off methadone I was in a federal prison, no one forced me to, it was my choice. I went from 80mg dropping 10mg every 2 weeks (that's a huge drop) , when I hit 20mg I went down 5 every 2 weeks. There was only 2 drops where I left somewhat I'll. The 60mg n the 30mg, the rest I didn't feel a thing. I was super physically active at the time, and eating super clean balanced diet, and my mind was in the right place. I also prayed quite abit at the time. I was in minimum security when I decided to get off methadone, and there we ordered and cooked our own meals. I'm currently in the process of tapering off once again and having a much harder time - probably because everything is opposite as it was then. Bad diet, little to no physical activity and my head is in a terrible place, plus I weined in my faith when I relapsed so I no longer pray. Good luck, you got this - if your mind is set to the task you will do fine.

I forgot to add;

Also, if you can get your hands on zopiclone (it's a prescribed sleeping pill, ask your Dr.), I don't know why, but they almost completely take away the withdrawal feeling, more so than benzos in my opinion.

Last edited:
^ that's a pretty good guide.

I think the most important one you've out is time. You need time. You need to take a week or two off of work at the very least for this to succeed. The other thing is the hot shower/jacuzzi. I do not understand why but it reduces withdrawal symptoms so much its not funny. Its amazing. It makes me wonder why it is we don't get like super high when having a shower.

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents into this.

Firstly, best of luck mate. Getting to the point where you are taking steps in the right direction is a big deal on its own and well done for realising you need to get better.

Secondly, any drug you take to ease your withdrawals might just prolong your agony, especially if its just another opiate. A few valium might help you get through some of the more difficult days but taking it every day through your entire withdrawal will likely be habit-forming in the end. Being on benzos can also wear down your determination and fuck the whole thing, and then if you're on benzos and end up getting on after not using for a few days you might drop. I say avoid them but thats just me. Some people detox with them and have no problems.

During withdrawals in the past I have found the following things to be helpful and important:

- Drinking plenty of water. Diarrhea makes you quite dehydrated, and keeping hydrated will improve how you feel overall.
- Magnesium tablets. Magnesium helps somewhat with the muscle cramps.
- Food. You probably won't feel like eating much but try your best.
- Talking to somebody that has been through it before. There were times during my withdrawals that I called up mates that are clean now and knew exactly how I felt. Conversations like that helped so much. Before the call I'd be on an emotional rollercoaster, afterwards I'd feel a bit more level.
- Showers/baths. As mentioned by the last few people, this will help a lot. I don't understand why either but yeh, it definitely helps a lot.

Consider your long term plans as well. It sucks to put yourself through withdrawals only to end up using again soon after and having to go through it again and again. I'd suggest seeing a drug and alcohol counsellor, or going to some NA meetings. Take any support you can get that you're comfortable with, the more support you have the greater your chances of staying on track. Also, don't beat yourself up if you don't get through it the first time you try, a lot of people don't. It's a very difficult thing to do. Once again, best of luck mate.

Progress report

Hey guys,

So it's been a while since I wrote.

I postponed by a week but it's done. Been clean for over 2 weeks now. Your advice really helped when I was actually able to put it into action! I can't believe how hard it was just to run a freaking bath! And the swearing absolutely stank!
I didn't go to my gp to ask for anything to ease it because I legit don't want it on record. If I was going to do that I may as well have gone into a clinic. I'm not going to lie, there was a period of about an hour on my third or fourth day where I was looking for shit but thank god I came up empty handed! Which is great because it means I fucking did it! And on my first go! Now i have another issue though, what's really fucking with me is the lack of energy.

Does anyone know of anything that can help? It's been a good 2 weeks and I find the only way I can do anything is if I have a bit of rack. And I don't want that. I want to be me again without the drugs!

Any help will be amazing!

Btw did anyone else observe that when you're getting off it you actually look like you're on it? Maybe because I was so sick and lost so much weight, but I looked like an addict when I was going clean, and when I was an addict I looked like I was clean.

How are you all doing with your journeys?

Last edited:
I fucking did it! And on my first go!

Well done!

If you are sure that you are better off without heroin, then try to make it the last detox. Obviously how much and how long you are using will determine the severity of withdrawal symptoms, but in my experience each detox get harder as time goes on. Partly because your physical system seems to become conditioned to the process of withdrawing (like kindling with benzos, although I'm not sure that phenomenon applies to opiates too). Mostly because the mental aspect gets harder. Once you've been through the WD wringer, you know what it's like and if start using again you will anticipate what horror awaits when you try to detox. The mental barrier can become enormous.

Now i have another issue though, what's really fucking with me is the lack of energy.

Yes that sucks but it's normal. It'll be a while before you feel normal again in terms of energy. I think you're in the real danger zone now. The physical and mental hell of acute withdrawal is.... well, hell. But there's another challenge (called PAWS, or Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome) which is actually as bad as the initial withdrawal because it can go on and on (again, how long depends on various factors). During that time you might feel all kinds of things which make you want to use again: lethargy, depression (or worse than normal depression if you're already prone to it), anxiety, intense lack of motivation or pleasure in doing anything, difficulty sleeping, and other fun.

t's been a good 2 weeks and I find the only way I can do anything is if I have a bit of rack.

Not sure what you mean by that - you're snorting something? Don't do that... yeah I know it's easier said than done, but really, if you want to get through the heroin use and get better, you need to tough it out as naturally as possible.

All the best!

Hey guys,

So it's been a while since I wrote.

I postponed by a week but it's done. Been clean for over 2 weeks now. Your advice really helped when I was actually able to put it into action! I can't believe how hard it was just to run a freaking bath! And the swearing absolutely stank!
I didn't go to my gp to ask for anything to ease it because I legit don't want it on record. If I was going to do that I may as well have gone into a clinic. I'm not going to lie, there was a period of about an hour on my third or fourth day where I was looking for shit but thank god I came up empty handed! Which is great because it means I fucking did it! And on my first go! Now i have another issue though, what's really fucking with me is the lack of energy.

Does anyone know of anything that can help? It's been a good 2 weeks and I find the only way I can do anything is if I have a bit of rack. And I don't want that. I want to be me again without the drugs!

Any help will be amazing!

Btw did anyone else observe that when you're getting off it you actually look like you're on it? Maybe because I was so sick and lost so much weight, but I looked like an addict when I was going clean, and when I was an addict I looked like I was clean.

How are you all doing with your journeys?

Well done mate! Top effort.

One strong aspect of addiction is being used to instant gratification - wanting something, getting it, feeling better, problem solved. The longer one uses the stronger and more profound this underlying behaviour becomes. So it's only natural that when it comes to you feeling a little low on energy you will feel like having a few lines of rack or whatever else to feel better. My advice is to just ride it out without anything. You'll probably feel a bit up and down for a little while, it's still only early days for you. Just try to be patient mate and let your body sort itself out. One of the best things you can do right now is to eat healthy, drink plenty of water, get out in the sun if possible. Your body and mind need a little TLC right now. You'll be right in no time.

And yeh, I usually look terrible when I get clean. I usually lose lots of weight, get lots of pimples etc. Not to mention everything else that happens... It's insanity.

Since you asked I've been clean for a few months this time round. It's been on and off for me for years and years, and it's true what they say that it gets worse each time. But yeh, there's plenty of people that are clean, its totally achievable. Just gotta keep your eyes on that prize.

All the best mate, and once again, good job!